Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Option 1. Going down in history for both regicide and kinslaying isn't exactly on my prority lit. There has to be a way to make Catuia see reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Rangpur posted:

Sorry, not buyin' it. If your goal is to unite the country then it is strategically dumb, as the guy above me mentioned. Also too, Catiua didn't align with the Dark Knights because she thought Lanselot looked dreamy in purple, she did it because it looked like the only way of accomplishing anything. She doesn't have some grand moral objection to Denam winning. Break the back of the outside agitators and she has no reason to remain opposed to us.

For all those reasons, and others, that I cannot do.

er...are you agreeing with me? or not? we are picking the same option

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Option 2

Not killing innocents in the beginning is different from responding like to like against an aggressor, family or not. We didn't murder all those random people trying to kill us just to make an exception for angsty not-sisters after all.

We will do what we must! And nothing more. Maybe she'll decide not to fight us? But if she does, she's going down!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

mauman posted:

er...are you agreeing with me? or not? we are picking the same option
How dare you refuse to parse my sanctimonious diplomatic babble!

You're right, though. We agree on the decision, but I was garbled so I'll break it down. The Bakram and Galgastani went to war because they wanted to seize power for themselves, and annihilate the opposition. Duke Ronwey and his faction believed the ends justified the means of wanton slaughter. Denam (on the Chaos path at least) can't ally with the former because they see him as sub-human at best, and more likely an enemy to be killed. He won't ally with the latter, because he doesn't see the Wallister getting to do the slaughtering for once as an improvement.

So, what is Denam fighting for, at this point? Self-determination for his homeland, and (hopefully) an end to the constant internal strife. Also to maybe stop Lodis from doing... something with a stolen artifact of the Gods because that just seems like a bad idea, all around. Is Catiua opposed to either of these goals? No. There's no philosophical conflict to fuel the fire. She did accept the assistance of the Dark Knights, which Denam quite justifiably views as a poor choice. However, I do not believe that Chaos path Denam would view it as an unforgivable one.

...I mean okay, if she turns out to have gone full-out Evil Queen and we find her sitting atop a throne of blood-drenched skulls then I'll change my vote.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
option 1

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Rangpur posted:

How dare you refuse to parse my sanctimonious diplomatic babble!

You're right, though. We agree on the decision, but I was garbled so I'll break it down. The Bakram and Galgastani went to war because they wanted to seize power for themselves, and annihilate the opposition. Duke Ronwey and his faction believed the ends justified the means of wanton slaughter. Denam (on the Chaos path at least) can't ally with the former because they see him as sub-human at best, and more likely an enemy to be killed. He won't ally with the latter, because he doesn't see the Wallister getting to do the slaughtering for once as an improvement.

So, what is Denam fighting for, at this point? Self-determination for his homeland, and (hopefully) an end to the constant internal strife. Also to maybe stop Lodis from doing... something with a stolen artifact of the Gods because that just seems like a bad idea, all around. Is Catiua opposed to either of these goals? No. There's no philosophical conflict to fuel the fire. She did accept the assistance of the Dark Knights, which Denam quite justifiably views as a poor choice. However, I do not believe that Chaos path Denam would view it as an unforgivable one.

...I mean okay, if she turns out to have gone full-out Evil Queen and we find her sitting atop a throne of blood-drenched skulls then I'll change my vote.

Ah ok...

I was reasoning my choice based on the fact that Chaos Denem is NOT a "end justifies the means" sort of guy. Option 2 practically shouts that too me.

Nor would law Denem despite starting on the other end, since the whole point of the law arc is to hammer into Denem that the ends doesn't justifies the means. Hilariously, only N Denem would have reason to do so, since 3N starts with Denem betraying his established morals.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Catiua was against everything Denam tried to accomplish from the beginning even when he's trying to kill Fantasy Hitler and Fantasy Goebbels, then told him he abandoned her which means sticking by her while fighting for his ideals and runs away from him alone into the midst of a war torn land, and decides to go full retard, joining a band of killers that burned her home, kidnapped her father (who she decides isn't important because they're not blood) and casually tried to stab him.

Option 2. No mercy for traitors.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
2. LORD ENDING

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grimpond posted:

Denam knows that the dark knights only use her as long as they have the need. He 1. cannot do it

And now I know that I permanently missed both Cassandra and Sherri :negative:

World System means you didn't, unless you're playing an inferior version.

I vote Option 1. Surely she can be made to understand?

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

World System means you didn't, unless you're playing an inferior version.

I vote Option 1. Surely she can be made to understand?

Yeah, but I have no idea how in the hole am with the faction. I did pharampa grinding to get denam made skill point bank.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
White Knight

"Sorry, ma'am. Fiery steed costs extra."

Characters: Myrdin, Gildas, Two Law-Only Special Characters
RE: 34 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3
Weapons: Fists, 1h Swords, 2h Swords, 1h Axes, Spears, Hammers, Damasc Mace, 1h Crossbows, Lobber
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Divine
Awaken, Innervate, Singing Light, Awaken Stone, Cleanse, Hearten, Heal
Support: Rampart Aura IV, Counterattack IV, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Constitution IV, Insight II, Expand Mind II, Channeling II
Other: Parry, Deflect
Action: Paralysis Blade, Velocity Shift, Guardian Force, Sanctuary Shadow, Rampart Shadow

Our first special class is the one that's generally given to players first and I'm fairly certain of that. It's available on all three routes along with its classmarks, in chapter 3, as part of the story. Compared to the poo poo some special classes make you go through they're polite as hell.

The 34 RT seems high but the smallest RT bonus any of the candidates have is -9 so it ends up alright. Besides that it does look like what it purports to be, an improved Knight, but it plays kinda different. They don't have the Action or Special abilities that other frontline classes have to mitigate damage, nor do they have the damage output to achieve safety via murder.

They're more like, support units who can exist on the frontline perfectly fine. A Cleric in heavy armor, if that helps conceptualize it. They handle this hybrid role by being slightly less potent clerics that can wield swords and such and still deal perfectly respectable damage, and most importantly, they have Velocity Shift.

Oh my god, Velocity Shift.

Okay, so it costs all the White Knight's TP to use and it reduces adjecent allies RT by the amount spent. Basically, the White Knight gives allies free turns, and considering TP is easy as hell for a competent frontliner to get it means your White Knight, when not busy cracking skulls or patching up allied skulls, can be a turn battery. Or have them be a turn battery primarily and do the rest when eh, they don't quite have the TP yet. In a turn-based game, extra turns generally mean you're winning.

Besides that, Paralysis Blade is pretty fun on a class with Counterattack IV, since inflicting stun without spending turns to do so ain't that bad of a plan, and stun prevents counterattacks which can help damage races. Their status-healing magic isn't as robust as the clerics, but it handles the worst of the common ones with awaken, awaken stone, and cleanse.

Just loving use Velocity Shift and revel in your knight increasing the number of turns you get. It's not complicated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, people are really going to want to follow and listen to the guy who killed the last queen.

1. We can't kill her.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
1. That I cannot do.

Cat's been kind of a bitch ever since... well, the entire game. But she's still the only person who can truly understand Denam. Chaos Denam says he'll rescue her and kill/exile the Dark Knights all at the same time! :v:

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
1. That I cannot do.
Surely Cat can see reason if we talk some sense into her, we've already had enough battles with family against family as it is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Have you no stomach, fellow goons? We journeyed this far to save the people, and bloodied our hands in the process. And as soon as the pain is on your shoulders, now, now you turn away?

We shall do what we must.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
For reference, the current count:

That, I cannot do: 24 votes
I will do what I must: 11 votes

Unless a bunch of people come out of the woodwork to vote for sisterslaying, I think we're going with option 1.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Oh, I probably should have "officially" closed the vote at some point, but all votes are appreciated. The next updates are being worked on. Also the next one should be done soon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Berserker

"DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND SHIRTS IN MY SIZE?!"

Races: Human, Lizardman, Orc
RT: 34 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3
Weapons: Fists, Daggers, Axes, Hammers,
Support: Rampart Aura II*, Counterattack IV, Knockback IV, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV*, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spellward II, Constitution IV
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower Wade II, Siege
Action: Berserk, Sanguine Assault, Risk Management
Special: N/A

Use, but can't learn. Why they can't learn Fortify IV themselves is beyond me.

So I'll be frank, I tried to use a berserker in my latest playthrough but he pretty frequently underperformed and he got replaced. Shame as I did it several levels within Sanguine Assault.

If Knights are to be high defense, low offense frontliners, then Berserkers are the opposite. They don't take lumps to well but they dish lumps out effectively. In theory. Without their action abilities they don't dish out lumps particularly more effectively than any other frontliner.

Risk Management is garbage, let's just get that out of the way. It doesn't reduce the damage taken, so whoever is getting the damage is getting Berserker-defense-based damage, and the Berserker is on the high end of HP, and either way it's spending TP to not get TP when the Berserker really wants TP. Berserk causes the Berserker (I am tired of typing 'er' already) to hit the five tiles to his/her front and sides, which is situational, since it has friendly fire and a surrounded Berserker is probably being maimed, but it can hit multiple enemies at once. Sanguine Assault increases the Berserker's Strength by 50% for a hit. To give an example, that's jumping over 20 levels worth of Strength. When 20 points are all that separates the Berserker from the Wizard, you're starting at around +50 at level 14 and going up.

I mean, I've never really used it but I imagine that having the key stat suddenly being at postgame levels would really hurt! And some rudimentary research indicates it'd pierce the defenses of monsters like golems and dragons through sheer musculature. Someone give me a trip report on Sanguine Assault, because my lack of experience with it is what's holding me from giving a fair assessment of the Berserker. They pick it up right as I was feeling underwhelmed with one for gently caress's sake.

Besides that, they really want a Valkyrie as a pal because they get hurt really easily, they're a fairly high base-RT class using action abilities and demand Boon of Swiftness, and of course Instill spells are always helpful for a physical attacker. Make sure they don't bite it and (presumably) Sanguine Assault should be a perfectly viable action.

You know, assuming the Ninja hasn't just butchered the battlefield by the time they get there. Hoo boy that's going to be a fun assessment.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's been awhile since I played, so I don't know exact figures of how great Sanguine Assault is, but I gotta say it makes the class worth it. Low defense but high HP allows it to accumulate TP quickly and dish out heavy damage with Sanguine. Seeing as how I always have 1 or 2 units handy with lobbers and high level healing items, I rarely run into too much trouble keeping them alive.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 49: Rain Must Fall

Welcome back. In the last update we easily saved Mreuva Phoraena (father) from being kidnap by Sherri Phoraena (daughter 1 of 4). After that we talked to the old man about family and whether or not we will kill Catiua the next time we see her.

We made our choice.

Turns out we're all a bunch of softies.

She is my sister. I must find some way to help her.

The old bonds die hard.

She is family to me, whether by blood or no.

Family... yes. Very well. Such aid as I have to offer is yours.

You honor me.

Meanwhile... in someplace?

...And why am I here?

The screen ominously flashes red.

The screen glows again, and this time Brantyn hears a voice.

Who are you to command me!?

Another flash of red light.

Brantyn slow steps back.

Then, someone cranks up the bloom.

A foul dream.

A soldier runs into the room.

What is it?

Lady Phoraena's expedition for the Apocryhpa has not reported in on schedule.

Sherri? The Almoricans' work.

I cannot say, though given the circumstances...

Not cool Brantyn. She just almost died.

Perhaps they've taken hostages. Shall I send a party to Almorica?

No. Leave them!

Satisfied in being a jerk, Brantyn tries to go back to his midday nap.

But someone won't take a hint and leave the room.

She was given a simple task, and she failed. The Bakram have no need of such "aid."

As you say, lord Regent.

Can't a man sleep in peace.

With that we are sent back to the world map.

One quick jog over to Phidoch Castle and we are in the next cutscene.

She was spotted with a party of Dark Knights training at Barnicia Castle.

Abuna Mreuva, is the king's tomb located at Barnicia?

We go through all that trouble to save you and all you can do is say "I don't know." Some help you are.

I had already left the city when the king passed. Yet, I find their actions baffling.

How so?

I heard no claims that the king had been buried anywhere but the royal mausoleum. I am sure that the queen and prince rest there, in the city.

So they search for a different tomb.

We got a new objective.

True enough. I doubt Brantyn expects us to move on them there.

Denam is very optimistic.

I am inclined to agree.

One legion? That implies we have multiple legions at our disposal. It would be nice if the game somehow incorporated this. I don't expect the game to suddenly become a large scale RTS, but maybe a scene or two with the extended Order of Goons would be nice.

Barnicia Castle is quite deep into Bakram territory. However, would you be surprised if I said we had something else to do before going there? Don't worry this will only take the rest of the update.

First, we go buy a couple of those make it rain horns.

Then, we trek over to Balmamusa.

We have a lot of ground to cover. It's amazing that we went all the way form Hagia Bananaba to Phidoc to Balmamusa without trigger one random battle.

We get there and nothing happens...

I was expecting that. There is a scene here, but it needs to be raining for it to start.

To make a long story short. The best way to make sure it's raining in Balmamusa is to go and make it rain in Xeod Moors during a random battle. Then, immediately go back to Balmamusa.

15 days of walking back and forth later...

It's pretty nice out, but that's nothing blowing into a horn won't solve.

It's raining but it's not raining hard enough for my taste.

Personal sidebar: I work outside, gently caress rain.

This should do.

Retreat.

*sad trombone*

Back to Balmamusa.

Yay, it worked.

Looks like the sudden rainstrom took Denam and Olivya by surprise. You know, because their morons. Olivya is even directly responsible for this.

Unless that was her plan all along.

Well, I'm soaked.

Quite the downpour. I'm drenched myself. We'd best dry off, or we'll catch our deaths of cold.

You always know something was written in Japan when the characters start talking about how they're all going to die of a cold after spending two minute outside in the rain. :japan:

Neat trick.

You've come to kill me, yes? Do as you will. I've grown weary of... this.

What are you saying? We've been searching for you! Father has been worried so. Come home, sister, please!

Home is... I have no home. You took it from me!

What I should have done long ago!

Out of my way, Olivya!

I think Denam might be developing a bit of a martyr complex. :ohdear:

Denam?

What's wrong? You can't kill me in front of your sister, can you.

Sister! No!

Your hatred twists you from within, Sherri. Let it go. Can you not see how deeply you are loved?

Enough, Denam! She's not ready for this. It's all right, sister. You're not alone. You'll never be alone again.

Aaah... *sobs*

Do not weep, sister. It's over. You're safe.

:toot: We now have reunited the Phoraena family. The Order of Goons is truly a family oriented organization. Don't believe those lies you read in the Warren Report that might say otherwise.

Nextime: A series of unavailable battles.

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 13, 2014

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
I find interesting yet odd that you can recruit Sherri through an obscure mechanic, but I'm glad to have her join our cause after that emotional scene. Poor Denam is worried about Catuia after that, but at least all four sisters are reunited once again. :unsmith:

Also what's your policy on fanart H10W? I've made a little something for the thread, it's not much but I wanted your permission to post it.

EDIT: Since H10W gave the a okay.

Starbridge64 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 13, 2014

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Go for it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yay! Now we have all four foreheads! We should be the Order of the Sixteen-Head.

Also I'm sure Brantyn's :ghost: :spooky: SPOOKY DREAM :spooky: :ghost: isn't relevant and won't ever come up again.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Who was that sinister silhouette, anyway?!

Like OFS, I tried really hard to give the Berserker class a fair shake in my third playthrough of the game. I even went so far as to take my star lizardman, hardened and bulgy through years of dragon steak abuse, and see how a mad stats unit would do.

The results were me switching the lizard back over to Warrior/Juggernaut as the situation merited.

Berserk is a pretty useful tool, it lets you get a significant wallop off on everything around you. And Sanguine Assault only grows more powerful the higher the base strength of your unit, right - since it's a 150% strength multiplier more means bigger damage numbers, right?

Situationally-speaking Sanguine Assault evens out with the normal hit damage multiplier Warriors get only on units with very high defense. It's at this point and only this point where this skill really seems to shine - something that most of your dudes are plinking for 30something even with elemental weaknesses a Berserker may (depending on strength) be able to walk up to and smash pretty hard. That with the melee AOEs is okay but they're slow and move bad. I found it just as useful if not moreso to conserve TP for double attacks as a Warrior or for near-constant finishers as a Juggernaut. However, until that point Berserkers are pretty okay - as far as lizardmen and orcs are concerned.
If we're discussing a human, then yeah - ninjas or unique classes are going to take their thunder any day. But for beast races, they're honestly pretty good, at least early on. It's when you're swinging around ridiculous later-game TP skills and finishers that the class really pales.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I tired using the Berserker class myself on my last playthrough of LUCT, simply because of the named generic unit you can recruit in the Law route. He hit hard, but not hard enough for me to care too much about the class to invest much time in it.

I can't help but fall back to archers and ninja.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Berserkers hit like a semi all right. They also have the get-up-and-go of a semi. By the time everyone else is finishing off the enemy, my 'zerker is still trying to catch up with the rest of the gang like a tagalong little brother.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
It's really a shame, I really liked zerkers in the original version because they were tanky motherfuckers for your neutral or chaotic units. Now they're just kind of shittier knights. :smith:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

One thing I miss about this game that's missing in the remake is the special animations for classes that use a weapon with which they're proficient. Berserkers would reeel back their axe and do a huge swing on top of someone's skull. Beast Masters would stretch their whip twice then attack. Knights would hold their sword parallel to their body, then swing...

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Prowler posted:

One thing I miss about this game that's missing in the remake is the special animations for classes that use a weapon with which they're proficient. Berserkers would reeel back their axe and do a huge swing on top of someone's skull. Beast Masters would stretch their whip twice then attack. Knights would hold their sword parallel to their body, then swing...

I always loved Valkyries spinning their spear overhead before stabbing.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
I believe the window on recruiting Sherri is really tight. I think you have to get her now or you lose her. Good luck finding her without using a guide!

As for berserkers, I've only used them in the early game and then switched them over to something else. I never really noted that they were doing much more damage than anyone else but I did notice they were taking a lot more damage than everyone else. If you can keep them alive then perhaps they can use that TP for something but there are plenty of other classes that fill the 'deal lots of damage' niche.

On the other hand, if you need someone to be a meat shield then I guess berserker is a pretty good choice!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Basically, by the time Berserkers really come in to their own, every other class has come into its own a dozen times harder. The Foreigner sisters become some top-tier damage once you get their skills up, for example... even though right now they're kind of just bad.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Sherri is actually really good just starting off, though I suppose she's limited a bit by what level the player has Mage at. Still, she's great with Earth magic and that's a great branch of magic to have points in.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, that's fair. The others though, they all start out a bit rocky for what they work best doing.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Alkarl posted:

It's really a shame, I really liked zerkers in the original version because they were tanky motherfuckers for your neutral or chaotic units. Now they're just kind of shittier knights. :smith:

Man....the good ole days in the PSone version. I still miss how the most heroic and noble Denem was most likely a warrior that specialized in the use of dead tormented souls to weaken his opponents while he murderized them with an axe.

It was strange, yet somehow awesome.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have the sisters got some kind of combo attack, or are they all just good units?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Have the sisters got some kind of combo attack, or are they all just good units?

They're good units with excellent base RT (-9 for Cistina and Cerya, -10 for Sherri and Olyvia), high stats (look at Sherri's 44 int and 38 mind holy poo poo), and they share a powerful special magic class.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Swordmaster

"Looking halfway between Obi-Wan Kenobi and a hobo is the point, mom! Did you order my practical elite katana yet?"

Races: Human
RT: 26 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3
Weapons: 2h Katanas, Lobbers
Armor: Medium
Magic: War Dances
Support: Counterattack II, Knockback IV, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution IV
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Wade II, Siege
Action: Preempt, Mighty Strike, Mind's Eye
Special: N/A

I should just say this class sucks because it isn't that good at first glance and takes some out-of-the-box thinking to derive its niche, and it's Hobyrim's default class which may lead you to think Hobyrim isn't worth using, when in fact Hobyrim is busted as a Ninja due to his insane -12 RT and high base dexterity. Making people not use Hobyrim is a loving crime.

The Swordmaster is sort of mediocre in every stat but Dexterity, which is backwards as 2h Katanas respond more to strength. War Dances have some interesting spells like mass-strengthen, fortify, and slow, HP recovery, and a TP drain, but they're cast from TP and without using action abilities the Swordmaster is a bad frontliner, so the class is sort of hard on its TP reserves.

Preempt is fun with knockback, as it can shove the enemy back before they even hit you. This sort of blinktanking via knockback is the aforementioned niche, but knockback isn't reliable, both in that it isn't 100% before IV and that terrain and the skill Steadfast can get in the way. It also doesn't really work on ranged attacks or magic. The magic isn't a big deal as the class gets full Spell Ward but it's only got default Sidestepping and enemies do occasionally use Tremendous Shot. Most enemies are melee though so who knows, you could just have Alec Guinness here keep shoving people that want to stab him backwards. When you get into places like the Palace of the Dead with a lot of bottomless pits, you can get sadistic with knockback. :twisted:

Mighty Strike is only 25% extra damage and it takes the same one action a turn as Preepmt. Mind's Eye is just flat avoids melee attacks until next turn which is at once more reliable than Preempt but it lacks the reversal of momentum that Preempt has.

This class is full of ifs and buts and is a horrible TP hog, but the situations in which it works seem like they might be worth it. If nothing else, it can do some unique things.

And they have a 2h katana that casts Petrifog which goes well with their high ranks in spellstrike, even if the weapon doesn't augment its own element.

Next time is the Dragoon, whose niche is "kills monsters loving dead".

I think I'm using male designs too much. 9 reviews and only 3 are women. My defense is that the dudes lend themselves to jokes better, but still.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sword Masters were the best back when they could learn status magic, which depended on DEX. You could petrify everything on the battlefield (which lasted forever) and just sit back and relax. I guess it's kind of a relief that they nerfed that, since it was such a cheap tactic.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 50: Coming Soon

Hello, everyone. Last time we decided we we're too sentimentally to actually fight our pseudo-sister, peered into an old man's dream, recruited a loser, and made preparations for war. Busy times.

This time however we have three fights blocking our path to our goal. The goal of not fighting Catiua. I really don't know what we plan to do there once we arrive, but that doesn't matter we have to go there.

Fight 1 of 3.

This is our land. If I fall this day defending it, I leave no regrets.

Ok. Nothing interesting happens in this fight. Alessandro just rushes forward to his death.

He did get killed by a rock, though. That was kind of funny.

Skipping ahead to fight 2.

Already in progress.

Right now, the enemy dragons are throwing themselves against are bone wall.

Yes, we have skeletons.

Skeletons are pretty cool. They get all the cool undead things with less of the drawbacks. I will explain more about that in a moment.

The reason we have our new boney allies is because Cressida is level 17. The magical level at which she can use all the skills and spells she joined us with. Necromancy works kind of like War Dances and Ninjutsu. It requires a consumable item to cast but instead of TP, they use MP. Since most of your MP comes from item in the first place, you can say it requires two items to cast. Necromancy spells are used to aid the undead or hamper the living. Sometimes both at the same time.

Right now, Cressida is going to use Life Force which is one of those "attack an enemy and drain MP at the same time" type of spells. It has a pretty high cost at 40 MP to use, but that doesn't matter.

Cressida almost always does enough damage to max out how much MP she gets back. Giving her a net gain of MP in the end. Keep in mind that dragon she hit had the best resistance to her spell out of anything on the battlefield. Her spells pack quite the punch.

Our golem finishes off the dragon.

Sherri and doomfunk might not be able to match Cressida in damage output, but who needs to when your status effect spells never miss.

One of these days I'll be able to use Empower Golem. Between the two of them you would think one of them would be able to get 70 TP.

One problem with undead units in general is they can't be heal by normal means, so they're a little fragile.

Cressida does have a spell that can heal multiple undead unit while also hurting any normal living creature it hits.

But she can't spend all her time managing skeleton HP.

She's got better things to do.

Besides she has another skill to help our fallen friends with.

For the low cost of 30 TP she can "revive" a skeleton back to full HP.

The dragon that doomfunk charmed lends a hand.

Not wanting to draw things out. We move in for the kill.

Our target is within range of both Denam and Cake Attack. And wouldn't you know it they have the next two turns.

He counters Denam but in doing so exposes his back.

Giving Cake Attack a chance to make another Sneak Attack.

The Armies at Iorumza... only a feint. It's Barnicia Castle they seek. The Dark Knights...

Congratulations

Another good thing about skeletons is that they actually get EXP and SPat the end of a battle, unlike zombified humans who don't.

Time for the worst fight of the three.

Hey look a Dark Knight who's only contribution to the game so far was standing around while Lanselot (the evil one) first talk to Catiua.

I had forgotten how invigorating the battlefield could be. I'm too long slinking about in the shadows. Come to storm Barnicia Castle and rescue the Princess fair? You may find her a somewhat... unwilling companion. Ha ha!

Now you might be wondering what so bad about this fight. Well let's take a look at the map.

It's a tar pit. Great :rolleyes:

Walking through it is a pain and so is walking around it. This is going to take a while...

Nothing interesting to see here. Just a lot of walking.

Five minutes later, We actually encounter an enemy. However, she too far away for us to attack back.

While we were taking a nice jag around the tar pit. We got to watch the enemy AI stumble around as it tried to think of how to deal with the terrain. The answer it came up with was to move around in a circle then give up and jump in the tar.

To keep my sanity I left some archers back at the starting point to take potshots at the dragon who were stuck in the tar. Even the game doesn't want to be here.

I took this dragon three turns to more four squares. Spoilers: it never makes it out of the tar.

Are we there yet?

No.

The enemy takes some pity on us by quickening Andoras.

I took the liberty of marking Andoras's path to help give a sense of how long this is going to take. The green tiles are where he has been and the red is where he's going. This isn't his entire path. The last red square (that the Templar is currently standing on) is just where we get to attack him for the first time. He moves a few time after that.

I don't remember if I showed this off yet, but Canopus's Vertan class has a skill called El Colas Winds. It's a good way to add a wind element attack buff to multiple allies at once. And since it's a skill he can still attack this turn.

We did it! We're finally in melee range, and it only took fifteen minutes to get here.

LogTM

Arycelle is still the best. Time like these I wish we had a team of only archers. If only...

One of the dragons is getting dangerously close to land, so Prowler binds it in place with his ninjutsu.

The white dragon for earlier is still stuck in the tar, and it keeps wasting it's TP summoning the anti-triforce.

Way on the other side of the battle we have a Cleric who is about to eat her third Magic Leaf of the fight.

And an Archer who is out for a stroll. Amazingly enough this fight will go on for so long that even these two will get to do something.

He's almost here! Just two more turns, and we can finally stab him.

In the meantime, everyone gangs up on Hobyrim.

Also, Andoras knows magic. So he tries to get the first hit in.

He's just not very good at it.

A half a round later. Prowler, who's been knocked around a bit, is ready go after our target. But first he has to prepare his defenses. Steelstance increase a ninja's defense. Thus eliminating there only weakness.

Alright, it's go time!

drat it!

Woo-hoo!

Steelstance, never stop being ridiculous.

A little while later, those two from before make their only contribution to the battle.

This is no errand to leave to another. I am not come to abduct a Princess - I mean to persuade my sister to leave!

Gathering intel before rushing the castle to save a princess. Denam, officially smarter than Mario.

Yet even if their reports were false, it would change nothing. It is you and the rest of the Dark Knights in Barnicia Castle who are our enemies, not the Bakram!

You still have much to learn, Denam of Golyat. Such trust in your friends, such devotion to your cause, such love for your sister. Your reckless credulity may be your most endearing quality.

Having said he's piece, Andoras punches Canopus in the face. Cast Fist, truly it is the best spell.

Axe is another a good spell.

Either Steelstance is even better than I thought it was or this Witch sucks at her job.

After all that we spends some time doing a little clean up.

Then, move in to trap our target.

We don't have to kill Andoras to win, so we might be able to end it here if Prowler can do enough damage.

Of course, Prowler crits on his first attack and sends Andoras flying.

Steelstance all day, every day.

A winged from Xenobia... You can only be Canopus.

I'm surprised to see a Bolmoccan slave at the head of a Dark Knight army. Your bearing marks you as a member of the Nildahme royal house, or what's left of it. Lodis brought ruin on your kingdom, yet here you are, serving them on bended knee.

What of it?

Do you bear no loyalty for your fatherland? How can you fight beside those who destroyed your home? How can you aid them as they visit their sins upon another? If you had any honor at all, you'd put a dagger to their throats, or failing that, your own.

Backstory!

How amusing! I think I'm growing to like you, bird man.

Ha, ha! Poorly made references.

Finally, Buluru ends this fight.

I hope you're not thinking of leaving!

I admire your spirit, boy! Can't wait to see what happens once you take Barnicia!

What? You think this a game!?

Bye.

Congratulations

We're almost there. I can taste the plot.

Next Time: We find out plot taste a lot like melodrama.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Hobyrim is a cool old man and all but he's not really pulling is weight out there. Maybe a new class would help him out? So everyone, vote on a new class for Hobyrim. If you hate change and want him to remain a swordmaster, then just vote swordmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Archer

Hobyrim's the blind guy right? It's the perfect job for a man with his skills!

• Locked thread