Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My Searzall delivered to me on sunday :toot: This thing is BIG.

Now to use my sous vide supreme for the first time in months... I think I'll replace it with a Sansaire soon... I'm tired of having this giant thing taking space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like mine just got delivered to my porch. Something is getting seared tonight.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean, jesus christ

Also the construction is great. This thing is going to be great.

Edit: I am dumb, ignore my talk about the Sur La Table coupon. :(

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 13, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Question: can I just use one of my polycarbonate food storage containers with a Sansaire, or is it advisable to use a metal pot instead?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Question: can I just use one of my polycarbonate food storage containers with a Sansaire, or is it advisable to use a metal pot instead?

Those are fine. Your food isn't exposed to the container, so even if it does leech something at temperature, the food should be unaffected.

I use a big poly cambro for mine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where's MY searzall, you jerks :mad:

BTW, most polycarbonate is fine since you're cooking your food in airtight plastic bags, but if you're paranoid, newer polycarbonate containers such as this Rubbermaid one are also supposedly BPA free:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...bbermaid+carb-x

Has anyone tried cooking in polyethylene food storage containers? They're the foggy plastic containers. They're BPA free as well but the plastic seemed a little softer so I was wondering if they'd turn soft from high heat...?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Where's MY searzall, you jerks :mad:

Srsly :mad: Plz die all your searzall havers.

But seriously, crossing my fingers for an Amazon email today. There will be much steak making for the next week once it arrives.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Srsly :mad: Plz die all your searzall havers.

But seriously, crossing my fingers for an Amazon email today. There will be much steak making for the next week once it arrives.

My shipping email was actually listed as coming from Booker and Dax.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
False alarm. It was just a really bright flashlight I had forgotten I ordered. I am still Searzallless.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why do you need a flashlight with a Searzall on the way? :shrug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress it, got a Sansaire. This thing is really great so far. Takes up a tiny amount of space compared to my Demi. I've got a hanger steak swimming in the waters right now. I also assembled and seasoned my Searzall. drat it's pretty with the heat patina.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can I get a searzall if I didn't back the kickstarter? This is a matter of some importance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Can I get a searzall if I didn't back the kickstarter? This is a matter of some importance.

Yeah they will be available pretty soon I would think. The kickstarter was just to get things going.

Sansaire and Searzall vs. hanger steak: Success. loving nice and it feels :black101: using the Seazall on meat. I just put a small cooling rack into a steel pan and went ape on my steak with the FLAME OF THE GODS. Really tasty and a great sear.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Does the Searzall cause alot of smoke as well?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Does the Searzall cause alot of smoke as well?

I would be interested in this since I am basically forbidden from torching indoors. I have set off all the smoke detectors one too many times...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHU9ZsCKssE

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So here's our first video of a production searzall in the wild, notes that the flame is much larger than he expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJiriUN0y1c

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

I would be interested in this since I am basically forbidden from torching indoors. I have set off all the smoke detectors one too many times...

My girlfriend has decided I can no longer use both the gas stove and the torch at the same time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

The method described here is no longer allowed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anova just sent out an email: Shipping is upon us.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Has anyone tried puddling in jars? Thinking about something in the nature of a rillete or pate.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I make yogurt in jars all the time.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I just do the entire gallon of milk right in the jug. Works great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A while back someone asked if there were any viable alternatives to plastic bags for sous vide. Jars and jugs seem to be the only viable alternative.

Keep in mind that it takes a lot longer for heat to distribute evenly through solids.

Jeoh posted:

Anova just sent out an email: Shipping is upon us.

:supaburn: When it rains it pours

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 15, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

A while back someone asked if there were any viable alternatives to plastic bags for sous vide. Jars and jugs seem to be the only viable alternative.

Keep in mind that it takes a lot longer for heat to distribute evenly through solids.

There are food safety concerns if you do this without lots of liquid in the jars/jugs, because you really need decent thermal contact between the jar and whatever's inside the jar to not die (i.e. do liquid or a thing in liquid in the jar).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A mush like pate or rillettes should be okay though, right?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I imagine if you wanted to do the French Laundry preparation of Butter poached lobster, jars would be a perfect method of doing that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

I imagine if you wanted to do the French Laundry preparation of Butter poached lobster, jars would be a perfect method of doing that.

Don't forget Coi's smoked egg yolks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Maybe it's just bad video color, but that looked really black on the outside. I usually think of the ideal exterior color as being a deep, rich brown. Is this typical of using a torch to sear steaks and does it actually taste good?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe it's just bad video color, but that looked really black on the outside. I usually think of the ideal exterior color as being a deep, rich brown. Is this typical of using a torch to sear steaks and does it actually taste good?

He over-seared it imo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There are food safety concerns if you do this without lots of liquid in the jars/jugs, because you really need decent thermal contact between the jar and whatever's inside the jar to not die (i.e. do liquid or a thing in liquid in the jar).

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

Thomas Keller used to circulate butter as the cooking medium and poach lobster directly in the butter bath (if I'm not misremembering).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

What are you trying to do where this is a concern?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Thomas Keller used to circulate butter as the cooking medium and poach lobster directly in the butter bath (if I'm not misremembering).

Right - this was more about jars and using a medium to cook. For our consumer grade circulators, I dont think the little motors will function well if you dip them in pure butter.

Also, butter is quite expensive relative to 4 gallons of water.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

So here's our first video of a production searzall in the wild, notes that the flame is much larger than he expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJiriUN0y1c

I think that dude just needs to turn the torch down.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Got my Anova today, looking forward to doing steaks of some sort (any suggestions?) with mashed potatoes and acorn squash as the first major meal for my new place. Pretty excited, actually!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

The air is bad because it will insulate a little bit. Vacuum would insulate even more. I wouldn't worry too much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Test Pattern posted:

No need to worry about it.

http://blog.nomiku.com/post/94014107772/how-to-make-dulce-de-leche

I asked the lady about it, and she says it's fine as long as you allow some room for the liquid to expand. The air will compress; it won't damage the jar.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Right - this was more about jars and using a medium to cook. For our consumer grade circulators, I dont think the little motors will function well if you dip them in pure butter.

Also, butter is quite expensive relative to 4 gallons of water.

You don't fill the whole thing with butter. You put a small container of butter (I would use the square glad ware that is deep rather than shallow) in the water, not totally submerged but just heated by the water, and cook the lobster in the hot butter. Coi had a Cambro setup where the large deep Cambro was full of water and there was a shallower Cambro that fit down in it where the water heated the smaller Cambro and you cooked in that.

If words aren't enough I can MS Paint it.

Don't ruin your sous vide by filling a container with butter and putting vacuum sealed meat in that. Worst case sous vide the lobster in a bag with some butter in the bag (bag in water) but Keller had a reason why he didn't like that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Keller pretty explicitly states that he ran butter through the immersion circulator. It's a terrible decision for us for a lot of reasons but he did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I do have fantasies of putting a super strong circulator into a big cambro tub with a PID, with enough current going so that my little vacuum packed dinners end up swimming in circles like little steak goldfishies.