Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

simosimo posted:

AW yeh the Smackdown 2011 arena! Who's hyped

Is there really a difference between then and now? I thought they've been using that generic HD set for both Raw and Smackdown for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Somehow all those DLC packs forgot about Heath Slater. At least I'm glad he's in none of these so I don't have to waste money.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

sticklefifer posted:

Waiting for the Gold Edition in that case, because you know there will be one. Especially if it comes out on PC, since there will be very little to stop people from unlocking content.

I'd be happier if they just cut down on annual releases and updated the rosters occasionally,
They make more money doing this every year than updating. Same reason fighting games like Street Fighter IV and Dead Or Alive 5 have been rereleased three or four times each with changes that easily could have been a downloadable add-on.
It's also why there is unlikely to be any kind of complete/gold/definitive edition. They try to get the most money possible right at launch, locking some content away to be 'released' later to stop trade-ins and to scalp a little more out of customers (or a lot more, this year) but otherwise moving right on to making next year's game.

2K are a sketchy publisher, Yuke's is a lazy-rear end developer and both sports and fighting games have trained their markets to hand over as much cash as they demand every 12 months; WWE games are both.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I felt very proud of myself for getting WWE 2K13 for $25 on Black Friday, and then getting the Season Pass for $10 on Playstation Plus, all within a month of the initial release.

I can't justify spending $105 on a wrestling game that I know is going to be cheap as hell in a year when the next version comes out. But now they put $45 worth of content behind a paywall that will most likely never come down in price.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got my copy of 2k14 through a Totino's Pizza Rolls contest. That was neat, but they punched a hole in the UPC so there's just a big dumb hole in the Daniel Bryan cover.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Sockser posted:

I got my copy of 2k14 through a Totino's Pizza Rolls contest. That was neat, but they punched a hole in the UPC so there's just a big dumb hole in the Daniel Bryan cover.

"a big dumb hole where Daniel Bryan should be" reflects the current state of the WWE, though, so you should thank them

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you're going to vote with your wallet, not buying it at all doesn't get across the idea of "you have a poo poo release system". The core game is probably worth what we'd be paying, but don't get any DLC. Otherwise they'll blame the cyclical business, too many next-gen games coming out, etc. There will be CAWs and player-DLC anyway, and it'll probably be better than the official stuff.

pressedbunny posted:

2K are a sketchy publisher, Yuke's is a lazy-rear end developer and both sports and fighting games have trained their markets to hand over as much cash as they demand every 12 months; WWE games are both.

I feel like that has to change if they get into the PC market. If there's a PC version and all the content is already in the install but behind a paywall, they're going to have to beat people to the punch (which they won't). Look at how Watch Dogs got its better-than-next-gen graphics - it was already there. There wouldn't have been that 'Hot Coffee' controversy for GTA without people like that either. If they do have a different PC launch and keep the additional content on their own servers, someone will probably find a way to mod that too. It's really in their best interest both to join the PC market and to release new editions of content for PC, but I don't know if I put that much faith in 2K, Yukes, or WWE for that matter.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Best parts of Supercard:

1) SR Tyson Kidd's goofy-rear end grumpy cat face
2) The feeling when my rating-tanking common tag team notches up a win because they're against a team with completely empty stamina bars. You did it, Slater Gator. You did it. :unsmith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jonny Angel posted:

2) The feeling when my rating-tanking common tag team notches up a win because they're against a team with completely empty stamina bars. You did it, Slater Gator. You did it. :unsmith:

I just clinched first seed with three games left and am looking forward to seeing if my lineup of C Goldust/UC John Studd, C Khali, UC Rock, and Pro SR Ladder Paige can steal one of the two games I have against people who were already eliminated.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was feeling stagnant in Supercard and then exhibition mode saw fit to give me an Epic HHH, which is my best card behind the UR Pro Brock I got from the first People's Champ. :3:

Tanking my rating a bit to be competitive in UR King of the Ring instead of just getting wrecked in Epic is helping a lot too.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 15, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pis4TcJUAH8
Personally this is the reason I'm most excited for WWE 2K15

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I'm not gonna pay $100 ($50 + $25 Season Pass + approx. $25 the rest separately) just for the rights to use Emma and JBL. Showcase Mode doesn't appeal to me at all anyway.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well there goes any chance of me buying this game anywhere above $15. Releasing a Season Pass that excludes DLC is mind-boggling.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The smarter thing to do would have been to to have two different season passes, covering the rivalries and the DLC errata. They have too much DLC to justify a $25 pass that covers everything. The point of a season pass is to give people a $5 discount on $30 worth of DLC rather than have them buy just one or two of the three. They could've made a season pass covering everything but it would cost just as much as a full game, which defeats the marginal-compulsion power of the DLC concept.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also if you'd be playing on new-gen I wouldn't expect this one to drop as precipitously in price as previous games have. The bad UFC game is going for $35 used on PS4 and it's been out for a little while now. It also benefits from being released during a time when the next-gen game market, while not as bad as it was last year, is still pretty desolate.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 15, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
EA actually released some pretty extensive patches for that UFC game. Like, not 'changed 2 numbers' patches, but adding new animations, fighters and mechanics big. It's pretty decent, actually.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Part of me is tempted to assemble a Commons A and B team, and have a go at rising through the KOTR ranks from the bottom up. Also farming the lower tiers to fill out my card catalog between Epic/Legendary KOTR runs. Makes for a change of pace, if nothing else.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

BlueArmyMan posted:

Part of me is tempted to assemble a Commons A and B team, and have a go at rising through the KOTR ranks from the bottom up. Also farming the lower tiers to fill out my card catalog between Epic/Legendary KOTR runs. Makes for a change of pace, if nothing else.
This is my plan if I'm not burnt out on the game once my team is 5 Pro Legendaries. Completing the catalogue is gonna be a chore. I got rid of all my single SR and UR cards so my list could have room.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Legendary King of the Ring has been very kind to me. My free Legendary exhibition card was Big Show, and in my first Legendary KOTR, I got knocked out in the bracket, and my reward happened to be a Big Show so I could make a pair. The next Legendary KOTR, I made it to the bracket again, and got an AJ Lee. I came in second next time, and got a John Cena pair. Just now, I made the bracket, and got another AJ Lee. I really can't complain.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Got through an Epic KOTR and decided to go for some UR pairs instead of single Legendary cards. Hopefully I can make the finals and get a good pair this time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

EA actually released some pretty extensive patches for that UFC game. Like, not 'changed 2 numbers' patches, but adding new animations, fighters and mechanics big. It's pretty decent, actually.

still doesn't have sprinting and butt scooting, tho.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

coconono posted:

still doesn't have sprinting and butt scooting, tho.

Please explain butt scooting in detail, thank you.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
If there's any good left in this world, can we please quit talking about this moronic trading-card skinner box and begin an earnest discussion about MDickie's latest iOS masterpiece, Wrestling Revolution 3D?

Sarcasm aside, I'm fairly certain I'm going to derive more enjoyment from this than the 2K15 abortion when it drops.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

petewhitley posted:

If there's any good left in this world, can we please quit talking about this moronic trading-card skinner box and begin an earnest discussion about MDickie's latest iOS masterpiece, Wrestling Revolution 3D?

Sarcasm aside, I'm fairly certain I'm going to derive more enjoyment from this than the 2K15 abortion when it drops.

I hate playing/controlling it on mobile devices and eagerly await some form of PC release. But as a seasoned Dickie player I've been simming the matches on my iPad. Lots of nice improvements in there such as the wrestlers sell moves now which has always been lacking. The texture work is much better (although still has that dickie crustyness in elements like the ui and environment stuff). I LOVE the match up screens. It feels previous Dickie games were cobbled together just to finish the game, but this time he's spending more time on stuff like ladder climb animations and finer details - perhaps gearing up for Steam? (As he got denied for his other PC efforts)

Career mode will be coming and it will be even sweeter all around. I only played Wrestling Revolution 2D for a short while, so i'm looking forward to new angles, promos and the usual magic in the story mode.

As crazy as MDickie his, his games never get worse or have cut features like some Wrestling games out there.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
The only worthwhile Epic cards I've had for my deck is a +45 POW and 2 Stephanie McMahons to Pro and Max up. That along with my 4 URs took me to Legendary within 4000 games. My automatic card? One AJ, rendered worthless until I luck into a second one. Any male wrestler would've gone straight into my team. Grind grind grind.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

VGCW-runner Bazza got to play some 2k15 and has opinions on it. He plays the poo poo out of these games so his take on it is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqCqk5PIS7c

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blasmeister posted:

VGCW-runner Bazza got to play some 2k15 and has opinions on it. He plays the poo poo out of these games so his take on it is pretty interesting.

Bazza heaping praise on it means a lot, honestly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

incredible bear posted:

The only worthwhile Epic cards I've had for my deck is a +45 POW and 2 Stephanie McMahons to Pro and Max up. That along with my 4 URs took me to Legendary within 4000 games. My automatic card? One AJ, rendered worthless until I luck into a second one. Any male wrestler would've gone straight into my team. Grind grind grind.
You should be at the point where you can make Legendary KOTRs by actually filling your active slots and bench with your best cards, so start doing that immediately. Making the top 8 which really isn't that hard, even with lovely cards, gets you an automatic legendary. If you miss top 8, free epic. But yeah, you're at the point where any advancement is gonna be a grind.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

poo poo.

I am going to buy a PS4 for this game. :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please explain butt scooting in detail, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ3MaimiGvk

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

simosimo posted:

this time he's spending more time on stuff like ladder climb animations and finer details - perhaps gearing up for Steam? (As he got denied for his other PC efforts)

He must have got denied a few years back right? It seems like any piece of crap can get on Steam these days, I can't see him getting shut down again.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I'm currently running the cheapest KOTR I can imagine. I'm using my three Legendary Pros (Cena, Bog How, and AJ Lee), and everything else is commons. I'm at the low end of Legendary tier, and after the first wave of qualifiers, it looks like no one has any single card better than an Epic Pro. I don't think I'll even have to use boosts in the bracket.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you. Though I question the need for a thong.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

ZDar Fan posted:

I'm currently running the cheapest KOTR I can imagine. I'm using my three Legendary Pros (Cena, Bog How, and AJ Lee), and everything else is commons. I'm at the low end of Legendary tier, and after the first wave of qualifiers, it looks like no one has any single card better than an Epic Pro. I don't think I'll even have to use boosts in the bracket.

It's fuckers like you who are blocking my shot at legendary pro pairs :argh:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ZDar Fan posted:

Do you mean you're at the low end of Epic Tier? Legendary KOTR has no levels (it automatically just maxes out as soon as you qualify for Legendary)

But yeah, 3 Epic Pros/Legendaries (Solo1, Solo2, Diva) is a great way to go, but it is really risky. If you're using 3 Legendaries, all it takes is someone using 3 Epic Pros to completely wreck you. Or, a match goes Solo/Tag/Solo, you lose a Solo to an Epic Pro and the Tag to ANYTHING, lose 2-1. But yeah. Obviously at that level, the majority of people are gonna be using UR/SR Pros with the occasional legendary.

I'm currently in an Epic KOTR pretty high up in level. I'm using 2 Epic Pros for my Solo1 and 2, Epic Pro Diva, and two Legendaries for Tag Teams. At that level it's not a guaranteed lock that I make the final two for my pair. I kind of regret feeding my UR Pro Jericho to level someone up because I think Epic Pro Solo1/2/Diva with UR Pro Tag was a great strategy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sockser posted:

Bazza heaping praise on it means a lot, honestly.

Maybe someone watched his video detailing 2k14's problems.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 16, 2014

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

cams posted:

Do you mean you're at the low end of Epic Tier? Legendary KOTR has no levels (it automatically just maxes out as soon as you qualify for Legendary)

The bar automatically displays as full, but I'm pretty sure it still ranks you based on your deck without giving you a visual indicator. No one in my tourney has higher than an Epic Pro, and my A-team is all Legendary Pros, so it's literally impossible for me to lose unless I stop re-energizing.

Blasmeister posted:

It's fuckers like you who are blocking my shot at legendary pro pairs :argh:

I've been on the other end of this strategy many times, and I decided "can't beat 'em, join 'em." I do feel pretty dirty about it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

ZDar Fan posted:

The bar automatically displays as full, but I'm pretty sure it still ranks you based on your deck without giving you a visual indicator. No one in my tourney has higher than an Epic Pro, and my A-team is all Legendary Pros, so it's literally impossible for me to lose unless I stop re-energizing.

I've been on the other end of this strategy many times, and I decided "can't beat 'em, join 'em." I do feel pretty dirty about it.

Joining them is tough without having the sets of legend pro card to begin with, sadly. I'll luck into the final of one in the end I'm sure.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

He must have got denied a few years back right? It seems like any piece of crap can get on Steam these days, I can't see him getting shut down again.

yeah steam allows loving anything anymore. anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
PS4 will be getting an update soon which includes, among other things, custom soundtracks

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/16/ps4-system-software-preview-usb-music-player-new-home-screen-colors-more/

Time to prepare a USB full of themes...