Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Sadi posted:

Or RS3s they won most of autocross nationals this year.

Wrong thread bro.

Rivals feel way better on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They feel better because you're going slower.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I love my 225/45-15 RS3s

Just had a private trackday at Buttonwillow on Monday with some BMWCCA ppl. It was pretty cool, $300 for the day, about 30 cars and no run groups. Just open track all day long.

There were quite a few really nice cars, new M3's, 911's, race-ready E36's and a Mclaren 650s

I brought my ugly rear end track E30 with M20 (street driven tho) and was probably the fastest there. A friend and I shared the car all day long so it got a workout in 90 degree heat, but never skipped a beat.
Obviously it's the driver and not the car but I was faster than the Mclaren by a surprisingly large margin. Obviously he pulled in the straights but through almost every corner and especially Riverside and Phil Hill I was right on him. Pretty :smug: feeling. Guy was kind of a dick and wouldn't point me by anywhere. (Point-by passing full track) I was on him for 4 laps before he pulled off.

Later, same guy in his other car--a race prepped E36, wouldn't let me by for 3 or 4 laps either. I don't get the egos on these guys.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No meetings? why not say something to him?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Yeah in my experience a lack of point by is either an indicator that the driver in front is new and completely tunnel visioning or they don't know it's a point-by passing session.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Or they're just assholes who think that because they can out motor you down the straights, you haven't really caught them.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I talked to him after the first time just because I wanted to check out the car. I just mentioned I was behind him and he said he saw me and left it at that.

Honestly I didn't mind being stuck behind it watching the cool rear wing go up during high speed braking and enjoyed being on track with a car much nicer than I'll ever be able to afford.

It was a private day put on for friends and friends-of-friends, so I didn't want to be a dick about anything because I may be faster, blah blah.

The next no point by in the E36 didn't happen till later and it's not a big deal, just something I thought was funny.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I put it into the dirt REALLY HARD today at Miller. It was absolutely glorious. Kept pushing the car faster every lap. The last one of the day (was getting too dark)... there's the big straight of the course, then a wide sweeping left. I was at the top of 4th and I normally took this turn in the middle of 4th (around 80). Went in hot and tried to come out hotter, but the tires just gave up at that point (this was 7 laps in) and let go. Spinspinspinspin *chokes on dust* *car sputters to a halt*

(while driving this)

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
That owns. It's cool to hear that you're using the car instead of keeping it parked and shiny.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nait Sirhc posted:

I put it into the dirt REALLY HARD today at Miller. It was absolutely glorious. Kept pushing the car faster every lap. The last one of the day (was getting too dark)... there's the big straight of the course, then a wide sweeping left. I was at the top of 4th and I normally took this turn in the middle of 4th (around 80). Went in hot and tried to come out hotter, but the tires just gave up at that point (this was 7 laps in) and let go. Spinspinspinspin *chokes on dust* *car sputters to a halt*

(while driving this)

Well at least you got your first spin in a Z3M pretty soon after buying it, it's bound to happen at some point.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
More pictures from the MMP trackday

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

aventari posted:

The next no point by in the E36 didn't happen till later and it's not a big deal, just something I thought was funny.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't understand why people won't let faster cars by. If you have a shot at losing a tail, sure, go for it. Otherwise, at least for me, having a faster angry car that wants to get past on your rear end is stressful and takes the fun out of lapping.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

MMP has some nice scenery.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Something about that "GT40" doesn't look right.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

GTFieroty?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's a kit. Most people were speculating that, the owner wouldn't say and just kept flashing the :smug: look at everyone

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So someone posted this article on Reddit... For $20K you get a "Nismo Micra" and a couple hours of track time...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/nissan-micra-cup-new-affordable-race-series.html

:staredog:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

So someone posted this article on Reddit... For $20K you get a "Nismo Micra" and a couple hours of track time...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/nissan-micra-cup-new-affordable-race-series.html

:staredog:

If you live in Canada, which is the only place in North America the Canadianized Micra is sold.

Excited that they see the motorsports potential. Curious if it'll ever be a reasonable STF autox competitor.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, yea I left out that detail. Woops. I don't know though, can't imagine spending $20K on a Micra and tracking it. I'd rather just get what I want, and track it "privately" with a group

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's about what you'd spend for the other B-Spec efforts (the HPD Honda Fit, the SCCA Mazda2 and Fiesta).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/b-spec-racers-honda-fit-vs-kia-rio5-mazda-2-mini-cooper-hatchback-comparison-tests

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$20k for a race car in a spec race series is a bargain. Doubly so when you realize it's in Canadian fun bux. :haw:

For comparison:
- a mid-pack Spec Miata cost about $10-15k and you're dealing with people who get the top 10 DQ'd from the SCCA runoffs
- a Spec E30 has had a bunch of cost creep as cars and parts have dwindled
- a Spec E46 is about $25k for a car
- a nationally competitive PTE car is about $20-30k to play

For $20k though, you might be better off just going with karts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's about what you'd spend for the other B-Spec efforts (the HPD Honda Fit, the SCCA Mazda2 and Fiesta).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/b-spec-racers-honda-fit-vs-kia-rio5-mazda-2-mini-cooper-hatchback-comparison-tests

Didn't the main class for those cars already get wiped out, though?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nait Sirhc posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a kit. Most people were speculating that, the owner wouldn't say and just kept flashing the :smug: look at everyone

With those doors there's not a chance it's real. And omg those doors :vomits:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Didn't the main class for those cars already get wiped out, though?

I don't think it was picked up by NASA or SCCA.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Phone posted:

I don't think it was picked up by NASA or SCCA.

They got picked up by the SCCA, the fields are just tiny.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Phone posted:

$20k for a race car in a spec race series is a bargain. Doubly so when you realize it's in Canadian fun bux. :haw:

For comparison:
- a mid-pack Spec Miata cost about $10-15k and you're dealing with people who get the top 10 DQ'd from the SCCA runoffs
- a Spec E30 has had a bunch of cost creep as cars and parts have dwindled
- a Spec E46 is about $25k for a car
- a nationally competitive PTE car is about $20-30k to play

Is spec e46 even off the ground yet? I've seen rumblings about it but there was a lot of discussion about rules and the harmonics problems with the M54.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know both of the guys who started it and they had a shakedown at the NASA VIR event. Bimmerworld is putting some weight behind it and they're well into more than a few dozen cars being finished. I think there's somewhere around 50 cars between completed and soon-to-be-completed cars, which isn't too bad considering that the idea is about a year old.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
So is Spec3 already dead?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

So is Spec3 already dead?

Not yet. The founders of se46 said they were hoping to draw people from GTS more than the other BMW spec classes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pro3 is pretty popular in the PNW but it's really really loving expensive now. 40+ cars in many races.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
WRL released their 2015 schedule. Looks like they're having their first west coast race in June at the ridge. Could be interesting!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

Racing motorcycles is cheap by comparison. :v:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

So right on my tires it says never inflate over 40 PSI. The guy at the tire shop says I should inflate them to about 36 for track days because I'm getting heat damage on the outsides of the tread, I've just been using 32. They get up to about 36-38 when I use 32 and come back to the paddock, and were at around 42 when I used 36. What do I use?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
What model tire? What car? What tire size?

Optimal pressures very wildly. Even on the same model of tire. For example, I run my 245/45/17 star specs at ~29 psi hot. I know other people who found 38 psi to be ideal on their car.

Do you know about the wear arrow on the tire side wall? This one: http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/Tire_Markings.jpg

I normally start my tire pressure tuning bleeding out pressure until I start wearing down to the arrow. Then tuning balance, grip, overheating, etc from there. Most of the time I find that pressure optimal.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

275/40ZR/19 Pilot Super Sports on a 2013 Mustang

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The pressure listed on the sides is the max cold pressure, if your hot temps go above that pressure you're ok. Putting chalk over those wear arrows will at least give you some confidence you're not destroying your tires.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly. A 40psi max is really, really low too. Normally i see 50ish PSI.

FatCow posted:

Wrong thread bro.

Rivals feel way better on track.

Every single person I've talked to say Rivals get greasy on the track with anything heavier than a miata.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you're melting the outside, more camber. Taking tire temps across the tread after a session is really the only way to fine tune alignment.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

So right on my tires it says never inflate over 40 PSI. The guy at the tire shop says I should inflate them to about 36 for track days because I'm getting heat damage on the outsides of the tread, I've just been using 32. They get up to about 36-38 when I use 32 and come back to the paddock, and were at around 42 when I used 36. What do I use?

A pyrometer :v:.

Seriously though, grab a cheap needle pyrometer or a laser and you won't have to play the ronco guessing game again; temperatures and your dialed pressure will vary due to surface conditions, duck farts, etc., so a one-size fits all temp might not work too well for the entire season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

jamal posted:

If you're melting the outside, more camber. Taking tire temps across the tread after a session is really the only way to fine tune alignment.

This. This is the issue.

McSpatula posted:

A pyrometer :v:.

Seriously though, grab a cheap needle pyrometer or a laser and you won't have to play the ronco guessing game again; temperatures and your dialed pressure will vary due to surface conditions, duck farts, etc., so a one-size fits all temp might not work too well for the entire season.

If you're going to use a pyrometer to tune based on tire temps, a laser is near useless unless you have the ability to datalog in real time. The time spent coming back to the pits from a hot lap will cool down the surface of the tire, you need to be able to take a carcass temp from deeper than the surface to get any real indication of temps. This is especially true once you are running significant static camber.

E: Laser pyrometers ARE useful for finding out if a particular cyl is running lean (hotter exhaust at the header/head junction) and diagnosing failed wheel bearings (hotter wheel) and if your pork is thoroughly cooked (145 deg F) and a bunch of other stuff.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 19, 2014