Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes the answer is yes. It'd inspire me to do similar with a year in the 80s :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Alright, here's a summer '72 post. There were only 7 shows total in June and July, so I might as well give a short description of each.

June 17, 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl was Pigpen's last show. You can see him in the above poster for the 25th and 26th, but 6/17 was the end for him. He didn't sing, but played organ on some tunes, most notably adding an interesting texture to the very first "Stella Blue." That, and the Truckin'->The Other One->Ramble On Rose sequence are the highlight for me.

As I mentioned on the last page, The July 16th Dillon Stadium show is only remarkable for the Allman Brothers collaboration on the last 4 songs or the second set.

If you're only going to listen to one show from July '72, The 7/18 Roosevelt Stadium show is the one to check out. The sound is good, it has a nice "Playing In The Band," and the centerpiece is an interesting Truckin'->Dark Star->Comes A Time sequence filled with energetic jams.

The July 21st Seattle show was released as volume 10 of the Download Series. It's mostly uninteresting, but does have a really good version of "Cumberland Blues."

The second night in Seattle was cut up into a Bonus Disc for the same Download Series. Good idea, since even the songs that were included are full of mistakes. "Morning Dew" is the highlight.

The first Portland show isn't particularly great overall, but it has a really weird version of "The Other One" coming out of "Truckin'" that goes to all sorts of interesting places. There's a cool dissonant jazzy jam, and an Allmans-esque section where Jerry plays slide for a while. Then, in a moment that basically epitomizes July '72, the band comes out of the awesome jams into the verse, and Bobby completely blows the lyrics. The band recovers, though, and puts together a nice "Wharf Rat."

The second Portland show has a pretty good Dark Star->Comes A Time, but that's about it.

Overall, this was an uneven period after the heights of Europe '72, with lots of bad vocals and sound problems, but also some very cool and unique jams. The Dead were on the rise, though, and the late summer and fall of '72 contains some of their finest work.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 8, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did anyone go to the meetup at movies a few weeks ago?

It was a taped TV performance from the Europe 72 tour. It was enjoyable, but I wish the ads had stressed that it was a rehearsal. There were a ton of stops and starts, forgotten words, etc. They did "Playing in the Band" twice, near identically.

There was a teaser before the movie for the new Spring 1990 box set and that looks really great. In general I've really softened on my "No Dead past 1979 is worthwhile stance." There is some great stuff in 80 & 85, and 1990 is awesome other than Jerry's voice deteriorating.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

There was a teaser before the movie for the new Spring 1990 box set and that looks really great. In general I've really softened on my "No Dead past 1979 is worthwhile stance." There is some great stuff in 80 & 85, and 1990 is awesome other than Jerry's voice deteriorating.

I've said it before in this thread, but listen to the Scarlet Fire that opened up the second set on 10/1/94: https://archive.org/details/gd94-10-01.sbd.gorinsky.4671.sbeok.shnf. loving masterful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And I really liked 1991 with two pianos. :3:

Man I'm kinda bummed I didn't get in on that first 1990 box set.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Blast Fantasto posted:

Did anyone go to the meetup at movies a few weeks ago?

It was a taped TV performance from the Europe 72 tour. It was enjoyable, but I wish the ads had stressed that it was a rehearsal. There were a ton of stops and starts, forgotten words, etc. They did "Playing in the Band" twice, near identically.

I didn't catch it in a theater, but I love the Beat Club footage, even though it's from one of the worst shows of the tour.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it, here's the video of the 4/17 Tivoli show:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt67BUeQ1-Q

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, I've had 10/12 sitting around for a while, I really need to give it a whirl one of these days.

2/14/68 is another rip-roaring show. You can hear pieces of it on "Anthem," and it was also released in its complete form as Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 2.

The poster is an all-time classic:

That Alligator > Caution is pure fire.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
currently listening to 5/8/77

fantastic music

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

August 1972 was a peak Grateful Dead month. The tentative post-Pigpen feeling that pervaded July gave way to a torrent of dynamic, explosive performances, as the band settled into the configuration that would carry them through 1974. There was one bad show, two decent ones, three great ones, and one that transcends space and time. Shall we go, you and I?

The 8/12 Sacramento show reminds me of the better July shows. It's solid throughout, but never really takes off in any of the big jams. I'm not usually a fan of "Stella Blue," but the version from this show is very nice, as is the "Ramble On Rose."

The 8/20 San Jose show isn't very good. The sound fluctuates wildly and never really comes together, and the performance suffers as a result. This is the only August show I would recommend skipping.

The 8/21 Berkeley show is where things really start to get interesting. The band must have been determined to make up for the letdown in San Jose, because this show delivers great sound and performance. "He's Gone," "Friend Of The Devil" and "Playing In The Band" are all highlights, and the big jam is a very strange sequence of Dark Star->El Paso->Space->Deal, where Jerry tries to start "Morning Dew" but gets denied in hilarious fashion.

The following night at Berkeley was another epic show from the Dead. It has a very fine "Loser," another good "Playing In The Band" and "He's Gone," and an adventurous Truckin'->Other One with a nice solo from Phil.

The 8/24 Berkeley show continues the run of greatness. All four nights at Berkeley are worth listening to, but the 21st, 22nd and 24th are most deserving of attention. This particular show has a great China->Rider and "Uncle John's Band," and, in contrast to the 21st, a successfully executed Dark Star->Morning Dew.

The 8/25 Berkeley show is the weakest of the four, but the soundboard recording cuts out during "The Other One," so there may have been greatness that we will never hear. Such is life, and the Dead.

Finally, there's the 8/27 Veneta show, also known as the Field Trip, the Springfield Creamery Benefit, or simply Veneta. Any way you slice it, it's the best August show, one of the best '72 shows, and right up there with the best Dead shows of all time. It puts the whole summer of '72 into perspective; taken together, the entire July through August period is a long buildup to this one, outstanding performance. If you're into the Dead, you've most likely heard about Veneta, but unlike some other highly-praised shows, this one lives up to the hype. China->Rider, "Playing In The Band," "Jack Straw," "Bird Song," "Greatest Story Ever Told" and "Dark Star" are all performed at a very high level, and the overall vibe of the show is as weird as it gets. Check out the film and you'll see what I mean, but beware the many naked hippies, especially the guy up on the pole: :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANF6qanEB7s:nws:

The officially released "Sunshine Daydream" audio is the best way to experience Veneta. It's a must for any enthusiast of the 1972 Grateful Dead.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 19, 2015

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Juaguocio posted:

Finally, there's the 8/27 Veneta show, also known as the Field Trip, the Springfield Creamery Benefit, or simply Veneta. Any way you slice it, it's the best August show, one of the best '72 shows, and right up there with the best Dead shows of all time. It puts the whole summer of '72 into perspective; taken together, the entire July through August period is a long buildup to this one, outstanding performance. If you're into the Dead, you've most likely heard about Veneta, but unlike some other highly-praised shows, this one lives up to the hype. China->Rider, "Playing In The Band," "Jack Straw," "Bird Song," "Greatest Story Ever Told" and "Dark Star" are all performed at a very high level, and the overall vibe of the show is as weird as it gets. Check out the film and you'll see what I mean, but beware the many naked hippies, especially the guy up on the pole: :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHpx72ifdE:nws:

The officially released "Sunshine Daydream" audio is the best way to experience Veneta. It's a must for any enthusiast of the 1972 Grateful Dead.

Every Dead fan should give Sunshine Daydream a listen. It's really that good. And so is the newest official Dead release, "Wake Up To Find Out".

I've been away for quite a bit, but I'm going back through the thread and really digging some of the posts on '72 and other years. I'm planning on updating the original post in the next few days (with info on newish releases and other stuff), so if there's anything that anyone thinks should go in there, let me know.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

"I came up for "Bird Song", and after the set was over, I said, 'Thanks for letting me play, guys.' And they're like, 'No, no, stay! Play the second half of the show. We'll do "Dark Star".' That had no significance to me. I'm like, '"Dark Star"? Okay. What is it?' 'Oh, you're gonna love it. It's free, it's out.' 'Great, I can play out.' They start playing that lick, and the audience goes loving bananas. Later, I started getting these phone calls on my private number: 'Man, you were great last night. Thanks for getting them to play "Dark Star". They haven't played it in six months.'

:allears:

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
^^^^^

This has got to be a quote from Branford Marsalis, but do you have a link to the interview?

On edit this reminds me, has anyone ever heard a recording of the show with Ornette Coleman?

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't, I think I just pulled it from some promotional stuff from Rolling Stone or something.

K G
Nov 7, 2012

it is hard to read this lol
Has there been any confirmation of a 50th anniversary event/concert/tour next year? I couldn't really find any reliable information.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I haven't heard any news about Bobby's health, but he and Phil sang The Star-Spangled Banner before game 3 of the NLCS today, so hopefully that means he's doing better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

I haven't heard any news about Bobby's health, but he and Phil sang The Star-Spangled Banner before game 3 of the NLCS today, so hopefully that means he's doing better.

Looking that up, turns out they have done it quite a number of times! I remember hearing a concert at the Coliseum with bob Waxing on about how great the Athletics were at the time, so they're presumably baseball fans.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I meant to say game 4, but yeah, the Dead seem to be fans of not just baseball, but sports in general. I remember hearing football related banter in some '74 shows, and the Bill Walton connection is well documented. One of the drummers, I want to say Mickey, is wearing a Celtics warmup jacket in the "Touch Of Grey" video.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Don't forget the Lithuanian Olympic basketball team!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I picked up the 90' Nassau Auditorium show. It's pretty good, it's got some of the symptoms of late era Dead that kinda turn me off, cheesy keyboard patches, Brent's voice, the sound of Death creeping up on Jerry. I'm kinda unimpressed with Branford, he's good sounding on Bird Song and Dark Star, but he KILLS on Lovelight. That's the groovinest Lovelight they played for probably 15 years prior.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.avclub.com/article/experience-horror-90-solid-minutes-grateful-dead-t-210576

:lol:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'll try to dig it up, but there is a really funny story about John Cippolina from Quicksilver taking forever to tune between every song because of his constant use of the bigsby on his SG and the audience not realizing that it wasn't a song.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Joe Russo's Almost Dead continues to put on top-notch shows; now word that they'll be doing 12/30 and /31 with Phil Lesh himself at the Cap in Port Chester. Been a long time since Phil did NYE on the East Coast.

Recordings here: https://archive.org/details/JoeRussosAlmostDead

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm working on a September '72 post, but it'll be a while. There was a ridiculous amount of great music played during that period.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
JRAD breathes life into the songs we know and love. They've been played at half tempo by Further, Rat Dog, etc. for far too long. The guys are great and all but they're old and slow now.

In other news, the May '77 box set rules. You guys know that though.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm a casual deadhead from my post college years and still listen to some here and there. I don't get why this a big deal:

http://www.gratefulmusic.com/2014/11/the-dead-will-reunite-at-lock-festival.html

I had plenty of opportunities to catch The Dead in the past few years. Not to mention other different versions and iterations (I thought Phil Lesh + Friends was the best). Honestly having Bruce Hornsby there would be pretty cool though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's pretty rad as far as reunions go. Hopefully Kimock can make it to the stage.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm a casual deadhead from my post college years and still listen to some here and there. I don't get why this a big deal:

http://www.gratefulmusic.com/2014/11/the-dead-will-reunite-at-lock-festival.html

I had plenty of opportunities to catch The Dead in the past few years. Not to mention other different versions and iterations (I thought Phil Lesh + Friends was the best). Honestly having Bruce Hornsby there would be pretty cool though.

Mostly cause Phil's on his last legs and they had to cancel the only Furthur show in 2014 because of Bobby. Also 50th year anniversary. It's last chance to see territory. If you want to see the remaining members of the dead play together, that's probably your only chance. For anyone who doesn't care too much about seeing Phil or Bobby, you'll have plenty of time to scratch the itch with a Joe Russo's Almost Dead show. It's kinda cool though to see Phil and Bobby from time to time, even if the songs are slower.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And when was the last time Billy and Micky played with them? Billy did some Phil and friends stuff a decade ago, and were all 4 together as The Dead in like 2000? Throw in Hornsby, Kimock and John K and this is pretty cool.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Rothbury '09 I think was the last time with Billy in the mix and John K on lead. Can't remember if they had Mickey for that or not but I feel like they did. I missed that fest. :(

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
http://www.dead50.net/

quote:

We are thrilled to announce “Fare Thee Well – Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead” – to the Dead community.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir will reunite at Chicago’s Soldier Field, nearly 20 years to the day of the last-ever Grateful Dead concert, which took place at the same venue. “Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead” will take place over three nights – July 3rd, 4th, and 5th, 2015 – and mark the original members’ last-ever performance together. The band will be joined by Trey Anastasio (Guitar), Jeff Chimenti (Keyboards) and Bruce Hornsby (Piano), and will perform two sets of music each night.

In the tradition of the original Grateful Dead Ticketing Service, tickets will be available via a first come first serve mail order system starting on January 20th, followed by an online pre-sale through Dead Online Ticketing February 12th and will be available online to the general public on February 14th via Ticketmaster.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

BigFactory posted:

And when was the last time Billy and Micky played with them? Billy did some Phil and friends stuff a decade ago, and were all 4 together as The Dead in like 2000? Throw in Hornsby, Kimock and John K and this is pretty cool.

AFAIK it was The Dead's tour in 2005(?) with Warren Haynes on lead.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
Has anyone actually come out and said what's the deal with Bobby? Heroin? I mean say what you will about Jerry, he never collapsed on stage.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I really want to make those Chicago shows, but I just can't see myself managing to afford flights, hotel, plus tickets. I also bet that they are going to sell out really, really, really fast.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Personally, I have zero interest in watching Trey play with the Dead, it's so hippy dippy crossover for me, and I hate Phish and Trey by extension. All my personal feelings aside, I just also don't think his sound/style really mesh all that well.

I love Phil, Mickey, Bobby, Bill, but I still feel there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry. I'm content to continue to listen to old shows and remember them before they were a novelty act.

Septic Knothead posted:

Has anyone actually come out and said what's the deal with Bobby? Heroin? I mean say what you will about Jerry, he never collapsed on stage.

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought Bobby was the first member to get clean, and has been clean for quite a long time.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

OniKun posted:

I really want to make those Chicago shows, but I just can't see myself managing to afford flights, hotel, plus tickets. I also bet that they are going to sell out really, really, really fast.

I actually live in Chicago and I still think it's an impossible journey. If we get tickets to just one night, I'll be overcome with joy. It's gonna be the hottest ticket in town this summer for sure. We may end up just wandering around shakedown all weekend hoping for some luck.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought Bobby was the first member to get clean, and has been clean for quite a long time.

Yeah. I think he's just loving old.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone else trying for mail order tickets?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Anyone else trying for mail order tickets?

I don't quite understand how this works. You decorate a lucky envelope and stuff in a money order? Can you request for all 3 days?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I don't quite understand how this works. You decorate a lucky envelope and stuff in a money order? Can you request for all 3 days?

It's a pretty standard mail order and they tell you exactly what to do. Mail them money orders and a sase and they send you tickets if you get picked. If not they mail you back your money order. You don't have to decorate the envelope. And you can request whatever you want, but Saturday night is going to be popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I'm absolutely certain this question has been asked a million times, but what is the best Dick's Picks/Live show/etc. to start with? I'm a Dead virgin (besides listening to my dad's Shakedown Street which I'm aware is a lot different) and want somewhere to dive in. I assume it could be anywhere, but I'm weird and need someone to tell me where.