Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Godholio posted:

A couple of serious :stare: moments. 1:57 in particular.

Edit: I couldn't find the non-tv voiceover version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmoVXW-l2M

Did the whole loving pylon come off in the last one? :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Spaced God posted:

Yes, and that was my reaction as well. Toss in a little :stare: too.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Spaced God posted:

Hung store, so they dropped the rack to make sure that thing was gone when they landed. Since that's a nominally-armed bomb.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Were those actual incidents or tests? If incidents, who was taking the video?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Jesus those rear stabilizers just disintegrated.

So, I was reading this thread about the minimum speed required for a sonic boom. The posters mostly discuss the details of wingtips going supersonic in a high G turn. But do you get sonic booms in the transonic buffeting regime in level flight? Especially at the low end, like Mach 1.1?

e: here's an F/A-18 going transonic, I don't think there's a boom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mr9tam_c9g

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 15, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DeusExMachinima posted:

Jesus those rear stabilizers just disintegrated.

So, I was reading this thread about the minimum speed required for a sonic boom. The posters mostly discuss the details of wingtips going supersonic in a high G turn. But do you get sonic booms in the transonic buffeting regime in level flight? Especially at the low end, like Mach 1.1?

e: here's an F/A-18 going transonic, I don't think there's a boom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mr9tam_c9g

As I understand it, you don't get the boom until you're actually going supersonic. Transsonic at M1.0, and you get that cool mach cone around the aircraft, but since the plane doesn't actually outrun its shock wave, the wave doesn't "detach" from the aircraft, which would leave a large pressure discontinuity in its vicinity: the sonic boom.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q48Swb2ATww

Flying in a U-2 at 70,000 feet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've made paper airplanes that need more of a takeoff roll than that.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
With those dropexes, besides John Q Taxpayer, is the company involved with the test responsible for repairs, or is the plane written off as an operational loss due to misadventure?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ogrel72 posted:

With those dropexes, besides John Q Taxpayer, is the company involved with the test responsible for repairs, or is the plane written off as an operational loss due to misadventure?

I don't know that there is any liability possible to either the makers of the aircraft or munitions involved, since the only way to really if this is going to happen is to try it. IIRC, it's all military personnel doing it anyway. I don't know if VX-4 is still around as a navy squadron, but it's most of what they used to do.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phy posted:

I've made paper airplanes that need more of a takeoff roll than that.

That's what happens when you put sailplane wings on a jet fighter. And by you I mean the obscure Lockheed aircraft designer, Kelly Johnson.

wiki posted:

Johnson's design, called the CL-282, attached long glider-like wings to the fuselage and used the General Electric J73 engine from the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.

The company agreed to deliver the first aircraft by July of that year and the last by November 1956. It did so, and for $3.5 million under budget, because the aircraft was based on the F-104; only the wings and tail were different.

So an airframe/powerplant designed to get the plane airborne with interceptor stub wings, given copious amounts of additional lift (at the expense of speed, but who cares).

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Fucknag posted:

That's what happens when you put sailplane wings on a jet fighter. And by you I mean the obscure Lockheed aircraft designer, Kelly Johnson.

So an airframe/powerplant designed to get the plane airborne with interceptor stub wings, given copious amounts of additional lift (at the expense of speed, but who cares).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

At about 2:30, is than a civilian gps attached to the rear view mirror by rubber bands?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Humbug posted:

At about 2:30, is than a civilian gps attached to the rear view mirror by rubber bands?

Not uncommon. The GPS systems that many USAF aircraft use is slow at picking up sats and generally only track 4-5 at a time, so the civvie GPS is used as a backup or to provide GPS to off the shelf avionics systems.

Both on C-130 and JSTARS our navs utilize civvie GPS systems alongside their integrated and antiquated GPS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Plus you can turn on Morgan Freeman voice for directions! :haw:

"Turn left.. Fifteen thousand.. Feet.. Over Albuquerque"

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Humbug posted:

looks like a garmin 496 to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I like how the video description says 70,000 feet, but about 80% of the video is taken within the 40000-45000 foot range according to the altimeter. The only part that is at 70 is at the end right before the landing sequence.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

CommieGIR posted:

Not uncommon. The GPS systems that many USAF aircraft use is slow at picking up sats and generally only track 4-5 at a time, so the civvie GPS is used as a backup or to provide GPS to off the shelf avionics systems.

Both on C-130 and JSTARS our navs utilize civvie GPS systems alongside their integrated and antiquated GPS

Our handheld GPS was often the only working nav aid available (other than dead reckoning) after all our mil equipment had failed, many many times. Mind you, we only bought the handheld after being left with only dead reckoning one too many times saw us crash into the side of a mountain

Not a plane, but the point stands

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I tend to see the opposite for ground ops. Some idiot doesn't know how to use a DAGR or dislikes them, heads out with a civilian GPS that gets utterly wrecked by jamming or runs out of juice or breaks. It's also funny when idiots emplace a gun line based on their Iphone's compass when using an old-fashioned compass will ensure you don't end up pointing 60 degrees off target.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

Our handheld GPS was often the only working nav aid available (other than dead reckoning) after all our mil equipment had failed, many many times. Mind you, we only bought the handheld after being left with only dead reckoning one too many times saw us crash into the side of a mountain

Not a plane, but the point stands

It's actually even funnier/scarier, since I would imagine there's considerably more navigational equipment on a submarine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I tend to see the opposite for ground ops. Some idiot doesn't know how to use a DAGR or dislikes them, heads out with a civilian GPS that gets utterly wrecked by jamming or runs out of juice or breaks. It's also funny when idiots emplace a gun line based on their Iphone's compass when using an old-fashioned compass will ensure you don't end up pointing 60 degrees off target.

Cheap consumer GPS units can be off by more than 100ft - your car's navigation system of course can interpolate and has a pretty good idea that you're likely to be on a road so gets better results of course but I've seen people try and use those for surveying and dig in a completely wrong spot before.

You can pay $5k+ for a civilian unit that uses all three satellite networks and can be calibrated down to the cm or something ridiculous. I can only imagine what the military markup would be on that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What an amazing video. Thank you!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

Cheap consumer GPS units can be off by more than 100ft - your car's navigation system of course can interpolate and has a pretty good idea that you're likely to be on a road so gets better results of course but I've seen people try and use those for surveying and dig in a completely wrong spot before.

My wife is a professional land surveyor and we've heard stories very similar to that too on a shockingly not-rare basis. They had been asked to do more than one RPR or legal survey because the property owner was sure the neighbor/city was encroaching on his property because his $60 NUVI says so :rant:

As you mentioned some multisystem units can do pretty well, but nowhere near the accuracy of a professional base station left in place for while.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 16, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

But, see, the Air Force issues these:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/portable-gps/gpsmap-696/prod14859.html

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Humbug posted:

Didn't the phony Iranian stealth plane have a Garmin glued to the instrument panel?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Once you get away from entry-level consumer crap (and iPhones, ugh) the commercial stuff is actually quite good. It is, after all, what civilian planes and ships navigate with.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Let us take a second to talk about how silly this looks:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Americanfleaship.jpg

(I guess you can't hotlink from wikimedia?)

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 16, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just run it through LPix, avoids all hotlinking issues.

Or imgur, but that won't let me upload without an account from my country and I can't be arsed making one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Only $1800, thats actually not bad at all.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

At the 6 minute mark and onward, we see a bunch of footage of the left wing with the aileron clearly up, but the plane is not banking. Can anyone guess/know what gives?

I'll post the answer tonight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Only $1800, thats actually not bad at all.

They are also pushing the iPad with all the charts pre-loaded, don't think they are using it for GPS solutions as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

At the 6 minute mark and onward, we see a bunch of footage of the left wing with the aileron clearly up, but the plane is not banking. Can anyone guess/know what gives?

Thin air and jet stream I'm going to assume?

brains
May 12, 2004

relative air flow over the control surface given the density at altitude is too low

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

vessbot posted:

Going to guess that the aileron on the right wing is also up, acting as spoilers to control the airspeed. High altitude operation makes for strange requirements on turbine engines, probably can't throttle down any further but was going too fast.

Edit: I'm aware of the tight speed requirements at high altitude, which is why I'm guessing along the lines of speed control outside of just throttle.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 16, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Going to guess that the aileron on the right wing is also up, acting as spoilers to control the airspeed. High altitude operation makes for strange requirements on turbine engines, probably can't throttle down any further but was going too fast.

Don't forget your 10 knot difference between its never exceed speed and its stall speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_corner_(aerodynamics)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget your 10 knot difference between its never exceed speed and its stall speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_corner_(aerodynamics)

Was just looking at that chart, note that the chart ends at 50kft and at 6min he's at 40kft at a nice comfy mach .54.

Now at 8minutes in you get a quick glance at 105 knots and mach 0.715, which actually appears to be right on the max power cruise climb curve for 70kft in that.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

Edit: I'm aware of the tight speed requirements at high altitude, which is why I'm guessing along the lines of speed control outside of just throttle.

This one's the closest so far, but still a ways to go. They had other, more conventional ways to make drag.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
http://allthingsaero.com/military-aviation/aircraft/gallery-world-s-fastest-formation?page=1

Just saw this pop up on another forum (Anyone else here on PPW?)

They weren't allowed to set up a flight to easily take this photo, so the story involves a complicated plan involving good old moxie and derring-do, a wrung-out race Merlin struggling to keep up with a SR-71 on a standard mission climb profile, multiple NORDO formation changes, terrain-masking approach into military airspace to avoid radar, and relying on the closeness of the formation to blend with other aircraft once on radar.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vessbot posted:

This one's the closest so far, but still a ways to go. They had other, more conventional ways to make drag.

Correcting for winds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

vessbot posted:

http://allthingsaero.com/military-aviation/aircraft/gallery-world-s-fastest-formation?page=1

Just saw this pop up on another forum (Anyone else here on PPW?)

They weren't allowed to set up a flight to easily take this photo, so the story involves a complicated plan involving good old moxie and derring-do, a wrung-out race Merlin struggling to keep up with a SR-71 on a standard mission climb profile, multiple NORDO formation changes, terrain-masking approach into military airspace to avoid radar, and relying on the closeness of the formation to blend with other aircraft once on radar.
How dare you doubt this wasn't posted here before!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=600&perpage=40#post435320692