Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheJoker138 posted:

This is pretty much the entire problem with the invasion. They didn't want to pay big money for the big guys, from Bishoff to Goldberg, so none of it worked.

The most amazing thing to me about the invasion is that they did have one really major guy: Dallas Page. I mean, he wasn't Nash, Hogan, Goldberg or Sting but he was probably the biggest guy OTHER than those four. Moreover those four had been somewhat marginalized in the most recent WCW stuff while DDP was still doing main events alongside Russo's chosen golden boy Jarret, and had been part of the title scene at every step of the way from the NWO forward.

Despite this he was barely even IN the Invasion, after Undertaker squashed him during the dumb stalker angle he wasn't even a footnote, and that wasn't even really part of the actual invasion. Booker T was great, but compared to Page he wasn't much at that point, at least in the minds of WCW fans.

I mean, if you don't want to pay for Bischoff and Goldberg and Hogan to make the angle work that's fine, but to so badly misuse the best piece you DO have is baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IIRC, they (Undertaker especially) hated DDP because he was the type to plan out his matches in advance, basically move for move.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DDP also got a lot of poo poo for his bumping style as well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If I remember right, he didn't always take the traditional flat back bumps because he felt they weren't realistic for every situation. Some people perceived this as him not being able to work.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah, he would usually take rolling bumps rather than flat back bumps.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mods please change my name to Davey Boy Mootzer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

mods please change my name to Davey Boy Mootzer.

Is Davey Boy Mootzer friends with Shave Seltzer?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNAMecca is going to be especially crazed this weekend:

quote:

I think Dixie has a ton of evidence of defamation and a smear campaign against her company if she ever were to want to pursue legal action against Dave Meltzer. The guy has been lying out of his teeth making up negative false stories about TNA that is hurting the name of the company and he's been doing so for years. The guy needs to be held accountable for his words.

http://www.tnamecca.com/2014/10/post-impact-discussion-for-oct-8-2014.html#disqus_thread

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If I remember right, he didn't always take the traditional flat back bumps because he felt they weren't realistic for every situation. Some people perceived this as him not being able to work.

Wasn't his back also breaking down at that point in time as well?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Minds like steel traps. Never get anything past 'em.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Checked out TNAMecca tonight they are jealous/paranoid/confused by the online love of New Japan.

They were also discussing how the new TNA TV show should open. Historic video package or not? As well as the next World X Cup.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

rovert posted:

Checked out TNAMecca tonight they are jealous/paranoid/confused by the online love of New Japan.

But TNA sold out Korakuen Hall on their own*! That MUST make them equal to New Japan!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That crowd once talked about how nobody actually WATCHES New Japan but they're saying they like it because they want to be "cool".

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

HulkaMatt posted:

That crowd once talked about how nobody actually WATCHES New Japan but they're saying they like it because they want to be "cool".

I wore a Bullet Club shirt to the bar and 10 women just gave me their numbers, I didn't even have to do anything.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

HulkaMatt posted:

We talk about it online in hopes that Davey Boy Mootzer will notice us

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

that av holy poo poo hahaha

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mods, you know what to do

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Is that guy trying to theorize that Wrestling Observer didn't exist prior to TNA bashing?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is that guy trying to theorize that Wrestling Observer didn't exist prior to TNA bashing?

Sure is (or at least is trying to cast doubt that it existed prior to the internet). It's been a work all along.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Love the realization that before the internet, there was - in fact - print.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Laughing that a bunch of idiots online have never saw the glory of Dave Meltzer marking out at Steamboat-Flair.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'll never get over the incredible victim complex being a TNA fan seems to breed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Don't ever read what Meltzer wrote about WCW. He said that their business wasn't strong, and of course he's been proven wrong over the years and oh wait.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

Laughing that a bunch of idiots online have never saw the glory of Dave Meltzer marking out at Steamboat-Flair.

For those of you that haven't:

Also, have this:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dogshit Meltzer

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

dsriggs posted:

For those of you that haven't:

Also, have this:

How can anyone hate Big Dave?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Dimebags Brain posted:

How can anyone hate Big Dave?

He writes true things about the scummiest people in wrestling.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Him and Mike Tenay. Cheering on Riki Choshu. Together. Forever.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Easy to forget Big Dave is a fan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Him and Mike Tenay. Cheering on Riki Choshu. Together. Forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vO05r9YOfo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Much like Dr.Drew, he's also a man of exquisite passion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

I dunno, he gets super excited when the product is worth getting excited about. When it's the 6th Raw in a row with a main event tag match DQ finish, not so much.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How is this guy real

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

How is this guy real

Every single fanbase, no matter what it is, has crazies.

There were people who called into Meltzer after the Fusient deal fell through who insisted that WCW Nitro being cancelled was a work.

It's just a matter of the internet making it easier for crazies to communicate with each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention making it easier to create an echochamber. If you have 20 other guys on https://www.steinerized.com going 'Yeah, no way nitro was cancelled, it has to be a work by Fave Meltdurr' then it's easier for you to go 'yeah, you're right!' since anyone who'd disagree either doesn't go to that site or got banned for disturbing the groupthink.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

How is this guy real

He's not, he's a troll.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

He's not, he's a troll.

He's been on this schtick a while if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's been on this schtick a while if that's the case.
So has Banjo