Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

"Out, away from all - That’s where terror and beauty merge. Don’t go looking for the occult in the city, surrounded by countless prying eyes and nosy neighbors. Look in isolation, where it can grow undisturbed . . .”

Surrey isn’t a prison for hardcore, violent criminals. Mainly it’s filled with an uneasy mix of nonviolent repeat offenders, first time violent criminals(usually crimes of passion), and drug users serving mandatory sentences. It was recently the home of “Father Freedom,” a cult leader convicted of fraud - though he was guilty of a great deal more. One of his followers drove a truck full of dynamite and blasting caps into the wall during his exercise time, and he escaped into a waiting car driven by three other devotees. A few other prisoners escaped in the confusion - taking a couple corrections officers with them as hostages.

They made it to the highway just as an unseasonable hailstorm began. At the highway, they commandeered two separate minivans from their drivers. They immediately took to the back roads - not noticing how low on gas the car was. When it ran out, they approached the nearest farmhouse, where they cut the phone lines. The plan is to hide out at the farmhouse until the heat dies down, then take off in the morning. Simple enough, right?

This is a mafia game for thirteen players. It should be quick, brutal, and spooky. New players are very welcome.

1. apostateCourier
  2. AXE COP
  3. bowmore
  4. Chili
  5. Hal Incandenza
  6. MildManeredManikin
  7. mr.capps
  8. Poison Mushroom
  9. Quidnose
  10. Saith
  11. The Ninth Layer
  12. yuming
  13. zzyzx

Player Status

:s: The Ninth Layer, Morton Willits, Scum Jack-of-all-Trades died day one.
:d: MildManneredManikin, David ”Icepick” Leyner, Town Vanilla died night two.
:d: AXE COP, Lee Poler, Town Vanilla died day three.
:d: Bowmore, Scotty Barns, Town Vanilla was modkilled day three.
:d: yuming, Uder Krazmersky, Town Mason died night three.
:d: Poison Mushroom, Juan Riccinto, Town Watcher died night three.
:d: Quidnose, Donna Ngwashi, Town Doctor was killed day four.
:d: Saith, Bors Slavandrov, Town Tracker died night four.
:d: apostate courier, Jake Spundie, Town Inventor died day five.
:d: Hal Incandenza, Alicia Burdens, Town Vanilla died night five.
:s: Capps, Steve Updike, Scum Double Voter/Lynchbomb died night five. :s:
:d: Zyzzx, Janet Mattice, Town Inventor died! :d:

Rules

I. Please don’t talk to any players out of thread about this game, even if you are dead.
II. Do not edit your posts. First time it happens in thread is a warning, second is a modkill.
III. Don’t post your role message, paraphrase.
IV. Don’t post after someone has died until they have flipped.
V. Don’t use fake day-actions.
VI. Please try to post!
VII. Try not to get personal, this is a game.
VIII. No Krells. Sorry Krell, you turn people off of signing up.
IX. Don’t post anything after you die. :siren: For real. :siren:
X. Don’t Toxx or otherwise try to break communication in the game please.
XI. This isn’t an actual rule but you should probably be careful about making flavor arguments.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Me!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I would like to play (and am also new).

Somberbrero posted:

III. Don’t post your role message, paraphrase.
IV. Don’t post after someone has died until they have flipped.
V. Don’t use fake day-actions.

Do you mind explaining these three?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Saith posted:

I would like to play (and am also new).

Do you mind explaining these three?

Hello and welcome!

III. At some point during the course of the game you may feel compelled to tell other players about the role you were assigned, that's part of mafia. Whenever you claim, don't [quote.][/quote] or copy large portions of text from the role PM I sent you.

In example:

1) Hey guys, my character name is Officer Bullets and I'm the cop, so don't kill me. I'm just two weeks from retirement! GOOD CLAIM

2) Hey guys, don't lynch me because this is my role.

Somberbrero posted:

You are Officer Bullets, Town Cop!

You just have to make it another two weeks and you'll be able to retire in peace, but you refuse to leave the force while there are still Mafias in your town!

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

BAD CLAIM

IV. If a player is lynched or someone uses a day action that indicates another player has died, no one should post anything else until I reveal their role and alignment. Accidents happen with this rule, it's not a big deal but I'd like to discourage it from happening intentionally.

V. Sometimes moderators will create games where some power uses, or actions, take place in the thread during the discussion/voting day phase as opposed to the night phase. Rarely, a player might try to trick the thread into thinking they have a power they don't actually possess in order to get a reaction. In example, as Vanilla town I might post ##kill player, pretending I have the vigilante role, in the thread and use their reaction to the thought that they've been knocked out of the game as an unfair advantage. I don't anticipate that happening.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep yep.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder how far I could get in this came communicating solely through movie quotes.

Let's find out. :getin:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, a mod I recognize and a player I like.

I'll play this one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chili posted:

Oh hey, a mod I recognize and a player I like.

I'll play this one.

:woop: Great to see you again Chili.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
You too homie.

How'd that nanowrimo go for you?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Sure. I haven't played mafia in a while and my other games are going slow.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chili posted:

You too homie.

How'd that nanowrimo go for you?

Knowing me, probably pretty poorly.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hey, I'm dead in every game I'm in. Sign me up!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Knowing me, probably pretty poorly.

Bummer. Well November is coming up again, give it another shot, I'll join you if you want.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I should use NaNoWriMo as an excuse to finally finish that gamebook project I started from a year ago.

I mean, um...

There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aw, gently caress it, doesn't count until the game starts. That's when I'll impose my PR.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

Aw, gently caress it, doesn't count until the game starts. That's when I'll impose my PR.

Asante sana Squash banana, Wiwi nugu Mi mi apana.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hate myself clearly.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure, I'll do this. Yes on plat.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I'll play.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I am so psyched for this player list.

I have ten pages of flavor right now and I'm not even halfway done. I'll try to wrap it tomorrow and hopefully we'll have enough signups to kick things off.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

I am so psyched for this player list.

I have ten pages of flavor right now and I'm not even halfway done. I'll try to wrap it tomorrow and hopefully we'll have enough signups to kick things off.

You shouldn't be psyched yet. There's no merk here.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hi its me capps

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

You shouldn't be psyched yet. There's no merk here.
He quit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

He quit.
We've all quit. Mafia is an addiction.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm not quitting... until after this game!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

We've all quit. Mafia is an addiction.
I've never quit, maybe that's why I'm so bad.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I have quit mafia and am not actually in this game. What appear to be posts and murders are merely a result of tectonic activity and swamp gas.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Put me in chief!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll jump in.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can you explain how this works in the forums? I know mafia but, for instance, I don't have PMs. How does the night phase play out? Can you send my role via email, etc?

I'm possibly in if the no PM thing is ok! I have a couple of weeks between jobs so I need something to do!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like that's 13 GOGOGO

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
What typically ends up happening is that the mafia open up a google doc and communicate in real time there, so if you end up being mafia you don't really need plat for any kind of communication past the initial contact.

Most mods will be cool about accepting a player without plat, and Somber is a pretty cool dude, but it's definitely easier on the mod if you have it.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Don't quit Hal don't quit ;;;;

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Can you explain how this works in the forums? I know mafia but, for instance, I don't have PMs. How does the night phase play out? Can you send my role via email, etc?

I'm possibly in if the no PM thing is ok! I have a couple of weeks between jobs so I need something to do!

Chili posted:

What typically ends up happening is that the mafia open up a google doc and communicate in real time there, so if you end up being mafia you don't really need plat for any kind of communication past the initial contact.

Most mods will be cool about accepting a player without plat, and Somber is a pretty cool dude, but it's definitely easier on the mod if you have it.

The Platinum Upgrade helps support the forums. If you end up enjoying Mafia, it's not a bad investment.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey Met, I'm sorry but I'd like to give a new player a chance over a vet so I'm going to take Hugoon here. I'd love to have you as a replacement if you're willing. Again, sorry!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah that's not a big deal, just give me an email you'd like to use instead.

Alright, my goal is to try and have roles out and the game up before I leave work today. See you all then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Only apologize to met for skipping someone in the signups, I see how it is.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

mr.capps posted:

Only apologize to met for skipping someone in the signups, I see how it is.

Oh whoops, I'm off to a great start. You're in. Sorry Quid, I gotta bump you. Quid, you're more than welcome as a replacement and have a reserved spot in any future game. I apologize for the confusion.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
While you're at it, can you apologize to me? I'm having a poopy day.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Krazmerning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Twelve of thirteen roles are out, Hugoon please provide an email!

Game will start whenever I have a few minutes, work is busy.

Chili posted:

While you're at it, can you apologize to me? I'm having a poopy day.

I'm sorry :(

• Locked thread