Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lemmy kilmister

hahhahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This arc came so late. I guess there's no chance that Sam will lose his soul and we'll get a couple of episodes of Soulless Sam and Demon Dean cutting a swath through the flyover states.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Whenever they mention that there are places and planets other than earth with poo poo going on I wish they would delve more into it. I doubt we will ever get a Supernatural in Space episode, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Geez didn't anyone tell that guy "living well is the best revenge"? :haw:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love the idea that Dean was a serious threat to Crowley because of the First Blade. Dean was one of the most powerful things on the planet now thanks to that blade and Crowley was desperately trying to convince him that he was a subordinate demon.

Plus the little bit about Crowley having a "best friend" and missing him. They just keep adding layers.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
An ok two episodes. I guess Dean is the new threat. Though, without the first blade, is he that much of a threat to demons now?

I would be ok with the idea of (finally) Sam vs. Dean, where Same kills Dean for the greater good. I'm getting tired of "changing back to normal" from being soulless, a demon, lucifer, dead, etc.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Can of Cloud posted:

An ok two episodes. I guess Dean is the new threat. Though, without the first blade, is he that much of a threat to demons now?

I would be ok with the idea of (finally) Sam vs. Dean, where Same kills Dean for the greater good. I'm getting tired of "changing back to normal" from being soulless, a demon, lucifer, dead, etc.

He was a threat to demons as a human, and the more he gives into the mark the more powerful he's going to get as a demon. I would imagine if he fully gave in he could become as powerful as Cain, or at least a Knight.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda getting an Archer vibe from Dean this season. New haircut, lots of sleeping around, "AND NOW THIS IS HAPPENING" with the random beat downs and stabbing people.

What kinda surprised me was the healing factor bit. Didn't expect that from the mark, and other demons can't heal themselves like that.

Digging it so far though.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda getting an Archer vibe from Dean this season. New haircut, lots of sleeping around, "AND NOW THIS IS HAPPENING" with the random beat downs and stabbing people.

What kinda surprised me was the healing factor bit. Didn't expect that from the mark, and other demons can't heal themselves like that.

They've never shown a demon heal quite like that, but all of the recurring demons have been shot/stabbed/burned/beaten bloody and bounced back. Though the host does always seem to revert back once the demon smokes out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's just a new status quo I think. It's like now ever since Season 8 or so half of each episode has been "The Castiel time".

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying his side plots more than in the past few seasons, perhaps because it's a lot more intimate than "save the world again".

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is this the final season? If so, I hope Dean doesn't end up getting Ygritte syndrome.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shroomie posted:

They've never shown a demon heal quite like that, but all of the recurring demons have been shot/stabbed/burned/beaten bloody and bounced back. Though the host does always seem to revert back once the demon smokes out.

Eh, not always. There was that serial killer guy last season or the season before that was all kinds of hosed up because they tortured the poo poo out of him while possessed.

Meg's original meatsuit died after she smoked out because Meg was basically the only thing holding her together after being shot, stabbed and thrown out a window. I remember the boys being shocked cause Bobby was like "WHAT THE gently caress? WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET RID OF THE ONLY THING KEEPING THAT GIRL ALIVE?".

That being said, I agree the storyline is better around this season. Having that guy completely lose his fight against Dean and still be alive worked out, and surprised me because I was pretty sure it was going to be a quick season opener wrap up. I was a little sad that Dean said "I'm a demon" instead of "Annoyed" or something before lobbing him into a car though. "What are you?" is such a loaded question that missing a straight line like that just seems a little sad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That being said, I agree the storyline is better around this season. Having that guy completely lose his fight against Dean and still be alive worked out, and surprised me because I was pretty sure it was going to be a quick season opener wrap up. I was a little sad that Dean said "I'm a demon" instead of "Annoyed" or something before lobbing him into a car though. "What are you?" is such a loaded question that missing a straight line like that just seems a little sad.

I thought that was a great answer because as we found out later, Dean wanted to completely crush his spirit. It was obvious from how he came at Dean that he had no clue about the supernatural so dropping that bomb on him made it painfully obvious that the guy had no chance and his lifetime of training and ultimate badassery were utterly useless. It also answered the question Crowley posed to him in a rather disturbing way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VaultAggie posted:

Is this the final season? If so, I hope Dean doesn't end up getting Ygritte syndrome.

It might be but The CW has explicitly said they want both an actually good Supernatural spinoff AND that they want Supernatural to go basically as long as the people behind it want it to, and as far as I know there's very little to indicate they want this to be the end.

This season is loving GREAT so far. The only thing that lost me a bit is we don't know why Dean ganked the dude's dad, do we?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, but I'm sure we'll find out. Both main actors said they have no problem for this show to run another 10 seasons if people keep watching.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, same with the other people on the show if you watched the special. They said they would keep doing it forever if they let them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Maybe this season will consist of that war veteran researching on Dean and coming after him only to find out he's turned into something else in the interim.

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014
I believe this season is going to be great. These two episodes were kinda overwhelming from the fact that we got to see this darker path that Dean is going because of the First Blade. I was amazed by the fact that even the King of Hell was afraid! Regarding the guy that is hunting down Dean and that whole plot, I believe that plot is put there with the intent that Dean has always been this dark but he never embrace it like now.

I'm really excited for this season its been ten years and Supernatural it's still one of the greatest shows to me :)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lunadystopia posted:

I believe this season is going to be great. These two episodes were kinda overwhelming from the fact that we got to see this darker path that Dean is going because of the First Blade. I was amazed by the fact that even the King of Hell was afraid!

Makes sense - Dean curbstomped Abaddon, and she was way tougher than Crowley.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Yeah, Crowley is a lover, not a fighter

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Maybe this season will consist of that war veteran researching on Dean and coming after him only to find out he's turned into something else in the interim.

It seemed to me like they made a show of letting you see the knife with which Dean killed orphans dad...and it looked a lot like the demon killing knife. I'm willing to wager that daddio was possessed and Dean was just on a job (wouldn't 2003 put them around the time they got the knife from Ruby?)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah. 2003/4 was right around when the series started. It was just a big bowie knife.

The demon killing one showed up in season 3, which would be around 2006/7.

Bettin' Daddy was a demon and Dean aced the host, unless there's some kinda weird monster backstory to the guy that we don't know about.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Didn't you just establish that it all happened before they could kill demons though?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
What I was wishing for, was an explanation of how he knew Dean's name, because I don't think that was addressed. Mainly I was just hoping for "I saw you two all over the news, and then you faked your deaths but I knew something was up." Something which would at least address the various times they've been public figures, both as themselves and when they were being impersonated by various monsters.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

Didn't you just establish that it all happened before they could kill demons though?

And considering their first-season reaction to demon's in general, I doubt that Dean would've had experience that he wouldn't have mentioned. I was off on my timeline, but this does make more sense.

RE: monster story - there are plenty of monsters that don't start out that way. Vampires and werewolves, for example, are both monsterisms that can be caught. Looked like a slit throat, though, and I'm not sure what is killed by that besides good old fashion 'Murricans.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Caught this episode last night on Hulu.

I really really really like Evil Dean. I mean a lot. He's interesting in a way the character hasn't been in a long time. The revenge seeking dude not believing in the supernatural until Dean went black eyes on him was a nice touch. Sam's driving me a bit crazy with the whole "he ain't heavy, he's my brother" schtick, but hooo man when Dean said no Mercy on him too, it was goosebumpy! I liked that Dean in the flashback was wearing the necklace! Nice bit of continuity that they picked up on and kept up.

Castiel searching for his grace has potential to be interesting as well. I hope that's not the last we see of Metatron (I don't think it will be). Curtis Armstrong appears to be having the time of his life playing the character. I find myself liking Hannah quite a bit, too. She seems to be gradually going the way of Cas, accepting and liking humanity bit by bit. However, she doesn't have the soft spot for the Winchesters that he does, so I think she's going to about face a bit when it's revealed Dean's a demon to her.

Really looking forward to next week!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Don't forget we heard the guy yelling in fear, which monsters usually don't do. They usually fight back with their monster powers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

mcswizzle posted:

Looked like a slit throat, though, and I'm not sure what is killed by that besides good old fashion 'Murricans.

Yaos posted:

Don't forget we heard the guy yelling in fear, which monsters usually don't do. They usually fight back with their monster powers.

Witches would fit, but remembering how early on in Dean's hunting career it was, we might need to consider the idea that it was a total screw up and he really was a regular dude.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
It could also be a hit and run by monster with Dean showing up just after the fact with a bloody knife from the monster's buddy.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CHiRAL posted:

It could also be a hit and run by monster with Dean showing up just after the fact with a bloody knife from the monster's buddy.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Looks bad, but I'm going to hedge my bet that he killed the beastie that killed his dad.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

cool kids inc. posted:

That's what I'm leaning towards. Looks bad, but I'm going to hedge my bet that he killed the beastie that killed his dad.

Most likely. Which is actually something human-Dean would remember: failing to save someone's father, especially at a time (~2003) when his own father was so central to his life.

I kind of hope that's what happened, and Dean totally remembers that incident. Because then it would mean that demon-Dean today intentionally took credit for a murder he never committed. Which is, in a sense, Dean committing an act of violence against his own past. Choosing to corrupt his own past self through lies is way more interesting than Dean simply having been a monster all along.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CHiRAL posted:

I didn't say he killed the demon, I said he killed the host.

Meatsuit ain't gonna do a lot of good if the throat's been cut.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I didn't say he killed the demon, I said he killed the host.

Meatsuit ain't gonna do a lot of good if the throat's been cut.

He could have just been a shapeshifter that decided to settle down.

We need another shapeshifter baby episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXVpbAje6V4

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 16, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe the shapeshifting dogs from way back finally decided to rise up.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So that guy kind of sucks. It's cool that's he going to learn to become a hunter and leave his loving family, but he got wrecked by Dean and probably would've lost to Sam if his arm wasn't in a sling and he had gotten any sleep in the last 4 days.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Sam was badass in that episode. You think Cole could touch thousands of years of torture in the pit? Sam's had way worse than a few punches and loving with his broken arm, Cole needs to step his game up if he wants Sam to break. And capturing his demon brother with nothing more than holy water and handcuffs while looking like he's about to keel over is totally badass. Every time the monsters/angels/demons underestimate Sam, I do a little dance of joy when he proves just how awesome he really is at this life he hates so much.

I was very surprised Crowley let those two demons live after witnessing Dean knocking him on his rear end. You wouldn't think showing any weakness at all would be a smart move for the King of Hell.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I have to wonder if all hunters started out at their local library. I could almost see Sam and the guy teaming up against Dean.

Lunadystopia
Oct 15, 2014

empty sea posted:

I was very surprised Crowley let those two demons live after witnessing Dean knocking him on his rear end. You wouldn't think showing any weakness at all would be a smart move for the King of Hell.

I think Crowley is getting weaker (maybe there is some humanity left on him?). That's why he needed Dean so desperately..

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I do love that the hunter went to do research after getting his rear end kicked instead of just gunning after Dean blindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Got to admit loving this new season, evil Dean is honest to god just a little loving creepy.

Also Crowleys new chic demon helper is kind of cute.