Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This dude isn't a speedrunner, he's a streamer, but looking at his info

quote:

Top All-Time Donators:

BigHerp $20350 Reapzpwnz $5000 Bas $3483 ASneakyNinja $3133 Sambicker $2648 Creolophuz $2380 JonathanBondo $2006 o_simplifyy $2005 Oscar $2000 RapidStabber $2000

20 grand donation, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
[citation needed]

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Tracula posted:

[citation needed]

It's this guy, as of now he has 8000 viewers so I believe it.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Cubey posted:

So you're bitching about a fundraiser to help people go to a charity event. Uh, what? Am I missing something here? It's not like they're making tons of money and spending it on blow and hookers or something, I'm confused as to why anyone would be 'disgusted' by this.

Most of the major fundraisers I know of send any extra money to the charity or pay it forward to other runners, too.

I'm not Mike, so this isn't an official financial marathon opinion. That said, I wouldn't want to get in the business of directly paying runners to show up at the event. It'd turn the marathon into a terrible welfare system where runners would be begging for handouts instead of working for their own sources of money. It'd also drastically reduce, if not completely wipe out our budget for the event.

In general, runners are chosen for the events because they're the best match for the run. It's not like we could not find replacements for them, but the show is better off by having them there. In addition, by leaving it as a fundraising system, we're leaving viewers in control of how much they value each runner. These fundraisers have been around for years and the events are succeeding regardless.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

People get really mad about people getting money for playing video games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

argondamn posted:

People get really mad about people getting money for playing video games.

It's more about them diverting money to themselves that was likely to go to charity otherwise. :shrug:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jeffrey posted:

It's more about them diverting money to themselves that was likely to go to charity otherwise. :shrug:

Yeah, but these marathons cannot function unless people find the money to attend somewhere because I reckon the percentage of people who could pay their way to such an event unassisted is punishingly small.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, but these marathons cannot function unless people find the money to attend somewhere because I reckon the percentage of people who could pay their way to such an event unassisted is punishingly small.

Well it's fine if the charity needs to make the call whether or not to fund a given runner to make the marathon work, I trust them to allocate funds more fairly than random individual donors. If everyone who wanted to go to the marathon said "hey donate to the charity now in the name of AGDQ and hopefully they'll fly me out", it won't feel as good for the donor but the net effect will be better.

e: "donators" lol i speak english good

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jeffrey posted:

Well it's fine if the charity needs to make the call whether or not to fund a given runner to make the marathon work, I trust them to allocate funds more fairly than random individual donators.

If the money comes out of the charity directly rather than money from individual donators that could have potentially gone to that charity, isn't the net result identical?

this feels like trying a fix a problem that doesn't actually exist

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Jeffrey posted:

Well it's fine if the charity needs to make the call whether or not to fund a given runner to make the marathon work, I trust them to allocate funds more fairly than random individual donators.

I feel like we're skirting dangerously close to a political discussion... in a speedrunning thread.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'll drop it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm playing Alien Isolation and it seems prime for a pretty sweet speed run.

The dude on the last page fishing for a game to run should run it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

This dude isn't a speedrunner, he's a streamer, but looking at his info

20 grand donation, holy poo poo.

Speaking of, Sodapoppin just got a 10k donation but it's most likely a troll(people send E-checks and then void them so it pops back but the donation still shows up), not the first of those for him although the guy gets probably in the range of 150k a year just in donations so a few trolls aren't going to ruin his day. Here's his list of big donators and I'm not even sure it's really up to date.

I think it was cdew(WoW streamer) telling a story the other day about actually meeting Amhai. Dude is a UAE prince or something and has probably donated well over 250k to various WoW/Hearthstone streamers. He invited cdew and others to NYC, rented out an entire floor of hotel rooms, bought a bunch of computers, and they all sat there and played WoW and partied.

People do weird stuff with money.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If you've got the money, spend it how you like.

My issue isn't with people who donate, it's people who solicit donations shamelessly. Obviously a streamer can do whatever they want, be it selling out or otherwise, but it just sours me on the stream a bit when people are blatant about it.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Didn't people use to accuse cosmo of faking donations so other people would think it's cool to donate?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People accuse other people of everything

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I accuse cosmo if being a boring speedrunner who actually painted his nails for donations. I also accuse Iateyourpie for being a big butt nerd who stopped speedrunning paper mario for god knows what for one of the megaman games.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone got really mad about witix's new emoticon and said that it was proof that he was a sell out.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Salt Fish posted:

Someone got really mad about witix's new emoticon and said that it was proof that he was a sell out.

Thanks for the update, been looking to update my list of streamers who have been called a sellout by somebody.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Salt Fish posted:

To be fair the giant space is really drat ugly

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

at least post pics

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Salt Fish posted:

Here are all of his http://twitchemotes.com/channel/witwix

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Can't remember if I mentioned this already and I'm too lazy to go looking through my own posts, so here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

New official YouTube channel for GDQ videos. Currently uploading SGDQ2014. As of this post the only ones missing are Doom64 and Halo, which are still in the process of uploading. Everything's trimmed and encoded now, though.

If you prefer downloadable and/or 60 fps versions there's still the archive.org page here:

https://catalogd.archive.org/history/SummerGamesDoneQuick2014

But archive's upload server is annoying to deal with even with a script, so there's several videos missing. They should show up "eventually", but I don't have a timeline because it depends on the server not cutting out midway through uploading. Even with resumable uploads it takes forever.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 14, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Unable to pinpoint which one hypothetical internet person would take issue with. Also, not massively bothered. Post speedruns.

Look over there, a TAS of a PC game! Spelunky, to be exact. Stumbled upon this recently and it's pretty dazzling.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I wish there were a TAS of new spelunky. You can teleport down in that one.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Okay, its not technically a speedrun since its actually one of the slowest recorded SS ranks, but this is basically the single most demanding platforming challenge that I've ever managed to overcome and I'm beside myself that I've finally managed to complete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_xvEO6bSc

For context, this is the final "extra" level of dustforce, from a set of levels the dev's patched into the game several months after release as extra content for players that had managed to SS rank all the other levels in the game. Its by far the longest and most challenging level and I've been on and off attempting this for more than a year...
I'm pretty sure I had a minor heart attack with that whiff that nearly killed me at the end and forced me to use the super safe strat for the final section.

Incidentally, dustforce is an amazing platformer and everyone should give it a shot. It has basically the best leaderboard/replay implementation or pretty much any game out there, and the community of folks actually good at the game remain incredibly active / competitive. There are some crazy people that actually race the all levels SS rank category, which includes this level, which is nuts.

And, uh, since this is the speedrun thread, I guess have some horrifically old, outdated, and obsolete runs of super meat boy IL's I did a while back?
And one of the many reasons I don't really play that game anymore? :)

Although, if you're actually interested in super meat boy IL's (PC, all characters), definitely check out this guys videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/1473D/videos

73L, or latedog, or whatever he's renamed himself to recently. He was always more or less the best IL runner, or close to it. But in the last few months or so he's essentially become some kind of transcendent god of meat boy who's ascended to his own plane of reality and its pretty amazing to watch. It looks nuts to begin with, and if you're actually familiar with the mechanics involved its even orders of magnitude more mindblowing. Essentially requiring frame perfect button sequences every 10-11 frames.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 17, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Congrats on that SS. People doing crazy hard things is always entertaining.

For the meat boy stuff, is there anywhere to keep track of the ILs? I occasionally catch the any% and 100% runners on twitch, but I've got no idea if/how to keep track of crazy IL stuff.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

elmagus just got ridiculous luck in Lufia 2 Ancient Cave any% and beat his old time (and I assume the WR) by nearly 9 minutes for a time of 53:56. It was an enjoyable watch, so I'd recommend checking it out when it hits his Twitch archive: http://www.twitch.tv/elmagus

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

animatorZed posted:

Okay, its not technically a speedrun since its actually one of the slowest recorded SS ranks, but this is basically the single most demanding platforming challenge that I've ever managed to overcome and I'm basically beside myself that I've finally managed to complete it.

[embed]

For context, this is the final "extra" level of dustforce, from a set of levels the dev's patched into the game several months after release as extra content for players that had managed to SS rank all the other levels in the game. Its by far the longest and most challenging level and I've been on and off attempting this for more than a year...
I'm pretty sure I had a minor heart attack at the end with that whiff that nearly killed me at the end and forced me to use the super safe strat for the final section.

Incidentally, dustforce is an amazing platformer and everyone should give it a shot. It has basically the best leaderboard/replay implementation or pretty much any game out there, and the community of folks actually good at the game remain incredibly active / competitive. There are some crazy people that actually race the all levels SS rank category, which includes this level, which is nuts.

Hey, congratulations on getting that SS! Yotta is an insane level, so that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Unfortunately I'm - slowly, but surely - reaching the point where I'm going to have to seriously consider playing that level. In my own Dustforce save I've SS'd everything but Peta, Zetta, and Yotta... :sigh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'd never seen that level before, that's insane, congratulations. Dustforce is an awesome game and I need to pick it back up. It's super-easy to burn out on since its perfect or nothing, but I love it.

New levels are supposedly out on the steam beta - I haven't tried them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Aren't they adding another 16 levels to Dustforce soon?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DoctorWhat posted:

They're adding another key tier to balance out the early difficulty curve, so yeah. They also split the tutorial into three levels, so they technically added 18 levels.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jeffrey posted:

I'd never seen that level before, that's insane, congratulations. Dustforce is an awesome game and I need to pick it back up. It's super-easy to burn out on since its perfect or nothing, but I love it.

MooCowlian posted:

Congrats on that SS. People doing crazy hard things is always entertaining.

For the meat boy stuff, is there anywhere to keep track of the ILs? I occasionally catch the any% and 100% runners on twitch, but I've got no idea if/how to keep track of crazy IL stuff.

Yeah, Dustforce is pretty amazing and has a pretty unique flow for a platformer. Burn out is definitely possible when trying to SS some of the harder levels, and putting the game down for a bit and coming back later is definitely recommended and sometimes even effective at clearing a mental roadblock. I've put the game down myself several times.

Re super meat boy IL tracking, I'm actually not sure. I know for the meat boy character some of the runners maintain a google doc of times for IL's and full game runs but for naija / runman etc I don't know off hand. I've been fairly disconnected from the current community and my only current value to anybody was teaching a few of the newer runners how to superdash. Definitely follow the guy I linked though, if you're interested.

King of Solomon posted:

Hey, congratulations on getting that SS! Yotta is an insane level, so that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Unfortunately I'm - slowly, but surely - reaching the point where I'm going to have to seriously consider playing that level. In my own Dustforce save I've SS'd everything but Peta, Zetta, and Yotta... :sigh:

Thanks too. I think peta is actually one of my least favorite levels in the game, although not nearly the hardest. Something about the way the engine handles those diagonal crumble blocks doesn't seem to work as well as it should and its a bit frustrating. I really love the gimmick/mechanic that's introduced in zetta, though. It was a nice surprise to basically have to learn a new mechanic even after having played the game for so long.

DoctorWhat posted:

Goddamnit no! I was supposed to be free! :negative:

Amusingly, I only learned about this yesterday, after I'd finished yotta. I hadn't been keeping up with dustforce news or the community in a while.
As King of Solomon said, by all accounts the new set of levels is intended to round out the middle tier of the game which is great since it should help smooth out the admittedly sharp difficulty spike that exists currently. Also nuts because the game already had a lot of level content prior.
I haven't tried out the new levels yet, but they should be available to try in a steam beta with a few bugs still being ironed out.

Also interesting, the update should add support for online replay viewing through external websites, and the main fan maintained leaderboard viewer is looking to be adding support for it:
http://dustworth.com/

Guy who maintains the site is pretty cool, and hitbox team are pretty awesome for providing API support and updates to make this tracker possible. Another reason why this dev team is fantastic and deserves support.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

I wish there were a TAS of new spelunky. You can teleport down in that one.

Pfft. Who needs a TAS for that - http://www.twitch.tv/pibonacci/c/5172018

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Deuce-con has started.

Schedule here

e: Lufia 1 is just about to start by Deln!

baram. fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 16, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
There were a couple of last minute changes, so if you had reviewed the schedule a week or two ago you'll want to check it out again. A couple of really cool runs aren't on there anymore unfortunately.

Still, it's a really fun schedule with a lot of variety. :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

animatorZed posted:

Thanks too. I think peta is actually one of my least favorite levels in the game, although not nearly the hardest. Something about the way the engine handles those diagonal crumble blocks doesn't seem to work as well as it should and its a bit frustrating. I really love the gimmick/mechanic that's introduced in zetta, though. It was a nice surprise to basically have to learn a new mechanic even after having played the game for so long.

I like Zetta's gimmick, but the way they implemented it in the level itself is kinda obnoxious. Also yeah, Peta is no fun at all, though I admit I haven't hosed around with it much. I heard that Peta was instrumental in people figuring out Spikejumps; is there anything to that?

quote:

Goddamnit no! I was supposed to be free! :negative:

Amusingly, I only learned about this yesterday, after I'd finished yotta. I hadn't been keeping up with dustforce news or the community in a while.
As King of Solomon said, by all accounts the new set of levels is intended to round out the middle tier of the game which is great since it should help smooth out the admittedly sharp difficulty spike that exists currently. Also nuts because the game already had a lot of level content prior.
I haven't tried out the new levels yet, but they should be available to try in a steam beta with a few bugs still being ironed out.

I actually just ran through the beta, and the new levels are all pretty easy. I'd mostly just describe it as Hitbox Team realizing that there's a notable difference in difficulty between, say, Downhill and Firefly Forest. To address this they pushed most of the Open Door levels into the new tier and added a ton of new levels to fill out the difference. There's one new level in the Forest that was added specifically for the new Wood Door tier. They also changed the Nexus back to a single overworld structure (and made some of the Gold Doors a bastard to reach. They seriously made it even harder to reach Ruins!)

Oh and by the way: they fixed Wiring. :smith:

quote:

Also interesting, the update should add support for online replay viewing through external websites, and the main fan maintained leaderboard viewer is looking to be adding support for it:
http://dustworth.com/

Guy who maintains the site is pretty cool, and hitbox team are pretty awesome for providing API support and updates to make this tracker possible. Another reason why this dev team is fantastic and deserves support.

Yeah, Dustworth is a really cool website. I can't wait for them to make replays viewable from there, it'll be really convenient for when something crazy happens, like Clocktower being cut down by ten seconds.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 16, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

I like Zetta's gimmick, but the way they implemented it in the level itself is kinda obnoxious. Also yeah, Peta is no fun at all, though I admit I haven't hosed around with it much. I heard that Peta was instrumental in people figuring out Spikejumps; is there anything to that?

Yeah, Dustworth is a really cool website. I can't wait for them to make replays viewable from there, it'll be really convenient for when something crazy happens, like Clocktower being cut down by ten seconds.

Re peta and spikejumps, I don't know specifically the history but you get accidental "spikejumps" all the time in peta even playing normally, except in a bad way that makes the level frustrating. Basically a spike jump is when a jump is buffered (must have already used up your air charge) during a fast fall onto a 45 degree slope. This lets you jump off the surface, without actually interacting normally with the surface. The speedrun / survival usage is to do this on spike surfaces that would normally kill you, hence the name. However, it also applies to crumble block surfaces, meaning you can jump off them without actually destroying or clearing them. Since this is 90% of peta, it happens all the time accidentally causing you to miss dust and since its a bunch of free floating small platforms, its extremely hard or impossible to go back and pick up missed pieces.

Re clocktower, unfortunately this is the result of an unintentional bug with the most recent beta patch, I believe, and not a new strat. The bug puts the spawn point at the end of the map, which breaks the time, but the leaderboards are still synced to the main game leaderboards :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

animatorZed posted:

Re peta and spikejumps, I don't know specifically the history but you get accidental "spikejumps" all the time in peta even playing normally, except in a bad way that makes the level frustrating. Basically a spike jump is when a jump is buffered (must have already used up your air charge) during a fast fall onto a 45 degree slope. This lets you jump off the surface, without actually interacting normally with the surface. The speedrun / survival usage is to do this on spike surfaces that would normally kill you, hence the name. However, it also applies to crumble block surfaces, meaning you can jump off them without actually destroying or clearing them. Since this is 90% of peta, it happens all the time accidentally causing you to miss dust and since its a bunch of free floating small platforms, its extremely hard or impossible to go back and pick up missed pieces.

Yeah, I know what a spikejump is, I use it from time to time. Hell, there's a way to get back to the Forest from Abyss that requires a spikejump. Also I'm not sure if it's actually possible to reach Ancient Garden in the new Nexus without a spikejump.

Also, just as a clarification: in my previous post I said they made it harder to get to Abyss. That was me mixing up levels; they made it harder to reach Ruins.

quote:

Re clocktower, unfortunately this is the result of an unintentional bug with the most recent beta patch, I believe, and not a new strat. The bug puts the spawn point at the end of the map, which breaks the time, but the leaderboards are still synced to the main game leaderboards :(

Oh. Well, that makes sense. Guess they'll have to scrub that leaderboard later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know what a spikejump is, I use it from time to time. Hell, there's a way to get back to the Forest from Abyss that requires a spikejump. Also I'm not sure if it's actually possible to reach Ancient Garden in the new Nexus without a spikejump.

Also, just as a clarification: in my previous post I said they made it harder to get to Abyss. That was me mixing up levels; they made it harder to reach Ruins.

Sorry, I just wanted to explain spikejumps in general for those maybe not familiar with the game. I didn't really connect with other dustforce players until long after spikejumps were a thing so i don't know when they were first discovered. As mentioned, it happens all the time accidentally on peta so I can totally see that being the origin, though.
Amusingly, the fact that I didn't seek out other players for such a long time also meant that I basically have my own set of terminology for various things which occasionally causes confusion when having discussions :)

Definitely excited to explore a new nexus. I really liked the fact that the original one was one connected world, although admittedly one that made the city / lab pretty hard to find for new players even though they have some easy levels in them.

• Locked thread