Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TaurusOxford posted:

That pose IS a glaring flaw. :v:

Seriously though, you generally want to keep the weapons in mind when you're doing a pose. Crossbone basically has a curved greatsword, so putting it in a fencing pose doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't help that you have his waist and shoulders almost popping out of their joints. It just results in looking super clunky.

Oh I'm totally down for posing critique and advice. I was thinking of his sword as more of a saber. Any posing protips will be appreciated and utilized, especially for stuff that uses a stand. I find posing this stuff on a stand to be WAY harder to make it look right than if it's on a flat surface. The flat surface forces you to have a balanced pose, for example, and gives you more freedom in one way because you don't have to worry about the base arm. However, I do not watch anime (Genshiken and Build Fighters are the only ones I can stand right now), and if I did I wouldn't watch space opera anime, so I have no idea what a good giant robot pose in space looks like.

And posing is my favorite part of the miniatures hobby! Go figure. I'll get it right. At least I know how to take a picture in focus, I got that going for me.

Now when you say the parts are almost popping out of their joints, I don't know how to fix that. Maybe I should put a tiny tiny O-ring around ball & socket joints? Or dip them in a thin layer of something to add friction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just don't pose them with joints at the upper limits of their mobility.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Makes sense. Also my dick blick order came in finally so that strike rouge MG's days are numbered before it is more like a strike desert with purple accents! Woop! And I can confirm that pro spray paint does not obscure detail. I tried it on a runner's description tab and the writing is totally legible even after paint saturation.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Best way to get good at posing is to study pro and high-end builders, and to some extent Bandai's promo shots & box art and copy what they do. My own poses were kind of meh until I made an effort to suss out exactly what the hobby magazines were doing with their models to make them look so weighty, imposing and cool.

Balance, visual flow, and attention to detail make all the difference. Poses should be dynamic but still believable, emphasizing a model's best aspects while de-emphasizing its worst. And again, there's nothing wrong with seeing a pose you like and trying to copy it exactly.

edit: not the greatest photo, but this pose was straight ripped off from a Hobby Japan promo sheet and I was happy enough with it to leave it that way for a couple of years:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 16, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just put them in a pose from the show/manga. Its not rocket science, you're the one most likely going to look at it the most so make it look good for you. Apparently the pose matters for jack poo poo, since someone from this thread got first place at that meet for doing ->one!<- jazz hand with his Nu gundam.

Also maybe it is Crossbone Gundam piloted by Guybrush Threepwood! I always thought pirates did used alot of fencing techniques also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Side question for lurking stupid idea: other than taking Nobell or Nobell Berserker hair, resin casting it, and futzing, are there any other ways to give a Gundam mecha hair of some sort?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You'd probably be better off getting a figurine and transplanting the hair.

Tenzarin posted:

Just put them in a pose from the show/manga. Its not rocket science, you're the one most likely going to look at it the most so make it look good for you.

Getting a sense for posing actually is pretty tough. :ssh:

I'd normally agree with not really caring about what people on the internet think, but no sense wasting perfectly good camera setups.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MJP posted:

Side question for lurking stupid idea: other than taking Nobell or Nobell Berserker hair, resin casting it, and futzing, are there any other ways to give a Gundam mecha hair of some sort?

I'm torn between morbid curiosity and really not wanting to know.

Doll wigs are definitely a thing though, a perfunctory Google search will turn up any number of suppliers.

If you want something more like the Nobell, epoxy putty is the way to go.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Gundam Nadleeh has weird hair cables that never made any sense but if you'd like hair you could use the head assembly from one of those.

Edit: please be a bikini beach babe Gundam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

The Gundam Nadleeh has weird hair cables that never made any sense but if you'd like hair you could use the head assembly from one of those.

iirc, weren't they meant to be antennae that helped coordinate the other Gundams or something?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They were gundam dreadlocks!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, weren't they meant to be antennae that helped coordinate the other Gundams or something?

Maybe if you're running your Gundams off an amateur radio transceiver, sure. But who loving knows for sure, since they used the trial system precisely once and it would have been easier to just build a Gundam with a huge EMP device in their chest.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
it wouldn't be worth buying a Nadleeh just for those parts but insulated wire would do for a similar effect.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I choose to believe the question is being asked because the poster is homebrewing a Genesic GaoGaiGar.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

but no sense wasting perfectly good camera setups.

The funny thing about you caring about my camera is that that was a very low-effort shot. When I have something really worth showing off, I'll pull out my lightbox :)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

I choose to believe the question is being asked because the poster is homebrewing a Genesic GaoGaiGar.

I like the color schemes of some of the Idolm@ster stage outfits, and hence I'd really like a Ganaha Gundam. :-(

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
For that sort of thing I would definitely set a wire armature for the ponytails and then sculpt epoxy putty over that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a decent HG Tallgeese? I want to get one and kitbash it, because I'm a lunatic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there a decent HG Tallgeese? I want to get one and kitbash it, because I'm a lunatic.

Nope. You want a Tallgeese worth owning, it's MG or nothing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Nope. You want a Tallgeese worth owning, it's MG or nothing.
And which one is the one worth owning?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm annoyed an appearance in Build Fighters isn't a promise of an HG, would have liked a Tallgease or Turn- X, among others.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Poison Mushroom posted:

The newer MG from the verEW line or either of the two coming soon I'd imagine.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, the Tallgeese I is the only one regularly available. The TGII and III are webshop exclusives, so you have to go through Gentei Kits or something and pay the premium for them.

If you just want a Tallgeese, get the Tallgeese I MG.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 16, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suzaku posted:

The TGII and III are webshop exclusives, so you have to go through Gentei Kits or something and pay the premium for them.

There's also the option of Dragon Momoko's version of those kits, which is honestly a better option in my opinion cause gently caress that online premium price.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Related question: Did they ever make an Alt Eisen or Alt Eisen Reise worth getting? Model kit or just decent posable figure.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

signalnoise posted:

The funny thing about you caring about my camera is that that was a very low-effort shot. When I have something really worth showing off, I'll pull out my lightbox :)

Terrible photo after terrible photo on /m/ and /toy/ have traumatized me.

hmmmm yes this unfocused photo of a room with a kit in it deserves maximum resolution

Poison Mushroom posted:

Related question: Did they ever make an Alt Eisen or Alt Eisen Reise worth getting? Model kit or just decent posable figure.

Yeah, Koto has a line of SRW model kits. They're okay.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Poison Mushroom posted:

Kotobukiya made 1/144 kits of both of those, and on the figure side Super Robot Chogokin has you covered for Alteisen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Kotobukiya made 1/144 kits of both of those, and on the figure side Super Robot Chogokin has you covered for Alteisen.

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, Koto has a line of SRW model kits. They're okay.
Oof. How long have theen been out of production? I'm looking at almost $100, after shipping, and if it's just an HG-quality, I'd really rather just get a couple other kits I like (like the fore-mentioned MG Tallgeese).

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oof. How long have theen been out of production? I'm looking at almost $100, after shipping, and if it's just an HG-quality, I'd really rather just get a couple other kits I like (like the fore-mentioned MG Tallgeese).

The regular Alt is only $40 including shipping on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Robot-Taisen-Original-Generations/dp/B00112WO3C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413483129&sr=8-6&keywords=alteisen

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Poison Mushroom posted:

You're probably better off getting MG Tallgeese unless you're a huge Alteisen fan.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

You're probably better off getting MG Tallgeese unless you're a huge Alteisen fan.

I like the Alteisen and all, but wow that Huckebein looks great.

Also since I've noticed people talking about poor articulation on some of the Unicorn MG's, I have to ask since I haven't started it yet. I picked up the animation color Sinanju recently, how bad a time am I looking at for posing it? The few I've seen made seemed to actually have fairly decent options for posing.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 16, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just bought this for myself, as well as finally getting myself a Gundam Marker for panel lining.

Hooray for impulse buys on payday? :confuoot:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Samba De Amigo posted:

Also since I've noticed people talking about poor articulation on some of the Unicorn MG's, I have to ask since I haven't started it yet. I picked up the animation color Sinanju recently, how bad a time am I looking at for posing it? The few I've seen made seemed to actually have fairly decent options for posing.

MG Sinanju is much better than MG Unicorn. Have fun with those decals though.

Also when people bitch about the Unicorn MGs, they are literally only bitching about the MG Unicorn Gundam and its spawn. Everything else is great, if not awesome.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Sinanju is much better than MG Unicorn. Have fun with those decals though.

Also when people bitch about the Unicorn MGs, they are literally only bitching about the MG Unicorn Gundam and its spawn. Everything else is great, if not awesome.

Ah okay. I kinda figured as much since it seemed to be specifically towards Banshee, Banshee Norn, and Unicorn.

Yea the decals honestly are one of the reasons I'm afraid to start. I'm not the best at applying fine details and I haven't applied that decals many before. Seems a bit daunting.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Samba De Amigo posted:

Ah okay. I kinda figured as much since it seemed to be specifically towards Banshee, Banshee Norn, and Unicorn.

Yea the decals honestly are one of the reasons I'm afraid to start. I'm not the best at applying fine details and I haven't applied that decals many before. Seems a bit daunting.

Well, nothing says you HAVE to use all the decals.

The scary part about the current Unicorn articulation is that it's still better than original Unicorn ver.Ka. So as bad as it is, it used to be worse....

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

signalnoise posted:

Now when you say the parts are almost popping out of their joints, I don't know how to fix that. Maybe I should put a tiny tiny O-ring around ball & socket joints? Or dip them in a thin layer of something to add friction?

The figure's left arm is bent way too far back for a Guybrush Threepwood style pirate fencing duel thing. You want to keep the top of the shoulder armour as on top/towards the back as possible generally. Just using the bicep swivel and tilting the arm back a little gives you the pose you want (I think). Sorta like this? Not using a stand and having a lighting and cable disaster so I couldn't get the legs exactly how I wanted. What you've got in terms of that shoulder is someone pulling their elbow back 90 degrees from neutral which doesn't happen. Fencing poses are also hard when you can't point the sword forward enough to be pokey.

Another general rule is hips and shoulders go in opposite directions, when you lunge forward with your right arm, for example, your right shoulder will go forwards, but you'll be pushing with your right foot so your right hip will be going backwards and your left foot will be the front most foot. Obviously this is not true for fencing due to the whole smallest target possible sideways stance, but it's a thing to keep in mind for brawly poses. Pretty much anything goes with guns in space though.

Poison Mushroom posted:

The SRW 1/144 are anywhere from large HG to large MG size. The Alteisen is based on the Gespenst and that's a little shorter than the RX78-2 2.0 I think. The 1/144 Cybuster is huge with HG Gundams coming up to its waist pretty much. They even do a DyGenGuar 1/144 that's super huge with MGs coming up to the thighs. In terms of kits they're between an HG and an MG, no inner frame but way better colour separation and some parts are even pre-painted. Dalong has pictures with comparisons to Bandai stuff under the Kotobukiya section.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

signalnoise posted:

In this case the standard HG shoulder blocks are really bad-looking and you should avoid poses that draw attention to them. The shoulder armor is also hanging off at odd angles and the ball joints look like they could be pushed into the sockets a little farther.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

IT'S DONE!

I've got the F91 and the Gouf Mr. Ral Custom left, which should I build next?

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 16, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anyone know what the quality of the old Abigor model is like? I noticed it was pretty cheap now, and I have a terrible kitbash idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Let's start off by looking at the box.

The old 1/144 boxes were all the same size, which is to say pretty small. Here's the V2's box compared to the average HG box and the MG RX-78-2 2.0 (whose box is the same size as MG Victory's).

And just for fun, here's it in front of the MG FA Unicorn (whose box is the same size as MG V-Dash's, though much deeper).

Boxes at this time were pretty tacky. Over on the left the text is loudly proclaiming the kit has a beam rifle (DUN DUN DUN) and it's 1/144 scale (!!!). There's also the BRAND NEW V-FRAME ACTION (which is kind of like Advanced Grades before AGs were a thing), CLEAR PARTS, and oh my god you can do COOL POSES with this thing. I'm not making any of this up. On the right you can see that this is the ninth kit in the "Battle Mobile Suit Collection" series, and that it has clear parts to represent the Minovsky Drive. And of course, this was made by Bandai.

On the inside, there's not much. Parts separation on this kit is complete rear end, as this was the era where you were expected to paint everything.

Just for comparison here's HG Victory's runners. That kit has barely any pieces as is, yet it's still more than double the 1/144 V2's count.

The manual is similarly barebones. No book here, just a folded up piece of paper, some art for the included display base, and a card that thanks you for purchasing the thing with contact information on it in case of any issues.

The A runners on the Victory kits were pretty interesting. It looks small,

but it's actually four runners squished together. Pieces are arranged in such a way that you can assemble the kit just by pressing two of the A runners together.

Like so. The V2's legs, arms, shoulders, feet, and upper torso are just two pieces fitted together, with no attempt at all to hide seam lines. To say it looks horrid is an understatement.

Over here is the B runner. It's pretty much the rest of the kit, and here everything's just one piece. Even the gun. Oh and speaking of that, there's no gray runner just for the gun on this kit. You'll get your accessories in solid white and you'll like it. :colbert:

The C and W runners (don't ask why they jump to W, it's not even the runner for the WoL) are all effect pieces. The beam weapons are all single pieces, so you'll have to paint the saber parts white if you want it too look right. The W runner has parts for a very primitive display base, with tabs on the back to fit the postcard included in the manual as a background.

The F runner is the V-fin. Even though it's made of a much more rubbery plastic, it still has safety nubs. Sometimes I wonder about children.

And last but not least, the V runner. This is the V Action Frame the box is so proud of, and it's kind of the predecessor to both polycaps and inner frames. Over on the top left you can see the two parts that fit together to form the waist, and on the bottom rleft is a piece that goes in between the torso sandwich. There are also hands and connector pieces, as well as what is pretty much this kit's joints. Articulation with all these isn't all that good,

but I can't exactly show that off now can I. :v: Here are front and back shots of my completed monstrosity.

• Locked thread