Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

bloodychill posted:

FF15 will probably underperform but by then SE will have hedged its bets and started making lower fidelity games for consoles ala Level 5. Well, I hope, anyway.

Or they can just keep milking FFXIV while developing FFXV-2 and Noctis Returns.

What kills Square is that they spend eons developing graphics engines that are used for 2-3 games before retirement. They had it right with The Last Remnant, then went back to being stupid by trying to develop their own equivalent of Unreal Engine without creating any documentation along the way.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Varance posted:

I got an email like a week ago about a new update for FFXI, it's crazy that they're still making money from that game

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I got an email like a week ago about a new update for FFXI, it's crazy that they're still making money from that game

Ashron's Call is still making money. Never underestimate the MMO fans' desire to play old games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Looper posted:

That's a lot of poo poo that isn't Real Emotion (English) :mad:

I'm still waiting for more SaGa music. The lack of Passionate Rythm and Alkaiser is nothing short of criminal.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

Due to most of the forced party bullshit getting patched out over the last 2 years, it's actually a very enjoyable single player experience now. The Trust NPC system basically allows you to solo 95% of the game with a party of 3 storyline NPCs backing you up.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 17, 2014

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That makes perfect sense. I had never heard that name for the song before.
Precipitous Combat is also the track name on iTunes. I guess they changed it for official releases to avoid confusion with the Gilgamesh battle music.

quote:

Also I didn't know Bloody Excrement had another name.
Dunno about elsewhere, but on iTunes it's just called B. E.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Xavier434 posted:

How did Japan PS3 sales do after FF XIII was released?

Personally, I think it would help some if they put more effort into PC ports of their console titles to be released either on or soon after they are released on consoles.

PC ports will do absolutely nothing for Japan, but they could help in the West (will be pirated in most other places). Realistically though in the grand scheme of things FFXV on PC would sell a lot less vs PS4/Xbone.

I mean, I would double dip most likely and so would plenty of other PC "enthusiasts", but even if you look at things like sales for Skyrim, consoles absolutely clobbered the PC sales. Not that PC sales were bad by any means though.

Not like anything non-mobile or portable will do well. Maybe 4DS when that comes out (FFXV-2 port?). On the other hand I think FFXV has a chance to do tremendously well elsewhere other then Japan. If (a big if) Square manages to produce an actually great game, they can probably push 10 million or more units. Then they should follow up with a PC port (GTA V style).

Btw, that Shibuya comment was amazing. I mean, look at SOHO and 5th Ave in NYC, that's just a hive of those Western Otakus! Oh... wait... I think somebody played way too much of TWEWY.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What is the best version of the original Final Fantasy? I own the PSP version, so should I just stick with that?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Varance posted:

What kills Square is that they spend eons developing graphics engines that are used for 2-3 games before retirement. They had it right with The Last Remnant, then went back to being stupid by trying to develop their own equivalent of Unreal Engine without creating any documentation along the way.

The problem with Last Remnant was that it was an absolute mess on consoles. PC port with mods eventually fixed the most egregious problems but that's not what console players got.

Square did license Unreal 4 for KH3 and they can reuse their XV engine for XV-2, XV-3 so that should help them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

What is the best version of the original Final Fantasy? I own the PSP version, so should I just stick with that?

Yes

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Speaking of, is the GBA version still the best FF6?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The music is inferior to the original and the added content is bleh.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
There's a patch for it that gives it the snes sound and graphics so with that it's the go to version.

Edit: I'm not too sure on the rules for posting pages with roms especially since you can buy ff6 so I'm gonna err on the side of caution.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Varance posted:

Due to most of the forced party bullshit getting patched out over the last 2 years, it's actually a very enjoyable single player experience now. The Trust NPC system basically allows you to solo 95% of the game with a party of 3 storyline NPCs backing you up.

Really? I tried playing again a year ago and hated the weird book quest deal. I thought that world was very cool and wished there was a reason to explore it again.

^^^^^ Thats right, you better not post a rom link. Nor should you send me the link in a message. So whatever you do, do not click message...at the bottom of this post...and send me the link...ok?^^^^

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

Speaking of, is the GBA version still the best FF6?

Yes, especially with patches.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

The music is inferior to the original and the added content is bleh.
Fun fact: there are scraps in the original FF6's code that point to the postgame content having been originally planned for the SNES. I think they even found some monster data for bosses with similar names and stats to the ones that appeared in FF6A.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Thought you guys would like this if you're fond of FFT:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/10/16/bizarre-tactics-game-ambition-of-the-slimes/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Fun fact: there are scraps in the original FF6's code that point to the postgame content having been originally planned for the SNES. I think they even found some monster data for bosses with similar names and stats to the ones that appeared in FF6A.

Yeah, the Kaiser Dragon was in the original game's code.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

F2P with both IAPs and in-game ads? That's kind of hard to get enthusiastic about.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Butt Ghost posted:

If you want a more authentic experience closer to the original without any of the bugs and with the option of a couple quality-of-life fixes, the PS1 version is the way to go. Otherwise, any later version will be fine and much easier.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The original is not hard per say, although some of the mechanics could be relatively unforgiving compared to 'modern' jrpgs.

Just remember, always carry 99x potions once you can afford it. Can't recall if they changed it for PS1 version but there were no hi-potions so the most you could heal in the field with a potion was 30HP from the standard potion. This mean that for higher-level dungeons, you'd need to burn 10 or more to fully heal someone that got hurt badly, once your WHM had burned through healing spells.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

i have no idea why but that really pisses me off for some reason..

Also do you think now that they have released FFXIII on pc that they're waiting to see how well it sells in order to decide upon XIII-2 because i couldn't give a rats arse about Serah i just really enjoy the lore of this game in the series more so then the others i've played like VIII and XII ... Don't get me started on XII i'm not sure who's more of a whiney bitch: Hope or Vaan

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zyntherius posted:

Also do you think now that they have released FFXIII on pc that they're waiting to see how well it sells in order to decide upon XIII-2 because i couldn't give a rats arse about Serah i just really enjoy the lore of this game in the series more so then the others i've played like VIII and XII ... Don't get me started on XII i'm not sure who's more of a whiney bitch: Hope or Vaan

What do you mean, decide? The entire trilogy has already been announced for PC.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zyntherius posted:

There's a couple of other crossover events with loot. I haven't had a chance to do the Lightning or Shantotto ones, but the goodies from the Dragon Quest X event are cute.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think "whiny" is really a fitting description of Vaan in any sense.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't think "whiny" is really a fitting description of Vaan in any sense.

True. He's a moron with a horrifying eldritch abomination where his abs should be, but he isn't whiny.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ooh, I was waiting for The Chase and Balamb Garden

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/487018429778391040

quote:

at least 4 babies are forever cursed as Sephiroth each year

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man what happened in 2008?

Ah, here we go: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. North American release date: March 24, 2008

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you want to name your kid after a final fantasy villain, why not something vaguely normal? Like, iunno, Rufus.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

If you want to name your kid after a final fantasy villain, why not something vaguely normal? Like, iunno, Rufus.

I'll have you know my daughter Exdeath is doing quite well, thank you very much.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Madmarker posted:

I'll have you know my daughter Exdeath is doing quite well, thank you very much.

Cloud of Darkness is just entering first grade. I'm so proud!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We originally wanted to name our daughter Garnet until we realized that a name like that would probably attract too much attention, so we ended up renaming her Garnet instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

No, David Bowie will suit her just fine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey that FF Type 0 track seems to be the one that plays in the Versus menu.

The chase is much harder than I expected for a field song. It sort of has the speed of a battle music.

Balamb garden has a custom background of you walking through the large circle corridor in Balamb :3:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Cloud of Darkness is just entering first grade. I'm so proud!

Still betetr than Moon Unit Zappa.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Tae posted:

What do you mean, decide? The entire trilogy has already been announced for PC.

I did not know that... I am mildly exstatic

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kanfy posted:

We originally wanted to name our daughter Garnet until we realized that a name like that would probably attract too much attention, so we ended up renaming her Garnet instead.

:golfclap:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The original is not hard per say, although some of the mechanics could be relatively unforgiving compared to 'modern' jrpgs.

Just remember, always carry 99x potions once you can afford it. Can't recall if they changed it for PS1 version but there were no hi-potions so the most you could heal in the field with a potion was 30HP from the standard potion. This mean that for higher-level dungeons, you'd need to burn 10 or more to fully heal someone that got hurt badly, once your WHM had burned through healing spells.

You keep 1 enemy alive and make use of the healing staff/gauntlet/helm items to top people off before finishing the fight and moving on. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The graphics are charming and I love tactics/SRPG games but the IAP is a pain. I know I'm in the minority of mobile users but I will always take buying a good game outright for 4.99 or 9.99 rather than paying nothing or .99 and getting saddled with crappy IAP. FFT, XCOM, and Frozen Synapse are pretty clearly proof that great strategy games without IAP can do well on mobile. FFT iPad has even become the definitive edition of FFT because touch interface works pretty well with it and it doesn't have the PSP spell slowdown.