Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lots of Royals fans hate the Cards for all the reasons everyone else hates the Cards magnified by actually having to live near them and experience The Best Fans In Baseball first hand rather than through Twitter. Cards fans seem to be largely indifferent unless they're still really pissed about Don Denkinger. There is only so much time in the day to hate on historically inept franchises and that role is filled by the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Old people get mad about Denkinger and young people maybe joke about it but mostly don't care about a thing that happened when they didn't exist yet or were toddlers.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

im gonna pull for the royals in the series as its pretty obvious the cards arent going. having been in kc for the card/royals interleague series i can tell you first hand royal fans hate the cardinals haha.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

Old people get mad about Denkinger and young people maybe joke about it but mostly don't care about a thing that happened when they didn't exist yet or were toddlers.

I really do think it's one of those "you had to be there" things. I was there... well, as "there" as I could be. Watching it live on my TV. We were close, oh so close. That out wouldn't have sealed the victory for the Cardinals, of course, but it was the beginning of a snowball, and we all saw it coming, even kids like me. It sounds stupid, but figure in that every Cardinals' fans' worst case scenario followed--the Royals win that game, then slaughter the Cardinals in game 7--and it only reinforces the assumption that the bad call started it all.

It's like a dribbler to first going five-hole on Buckner, or Everybody Do the Bartman: the play itself doesn't force the entire series to end the wrong way, but it is the catalyst, the erection of the bullshit lightning rod that later, everyone can point at and say, "that's where it all began." It's illogical, but it's pretty predictable. I'm sure every team has a story like this.

But, if you weren't there, then it's little more than a historical footnote. "So, there was a bad call. Wasn't the first bad call in baseball, and wouldn't be the last. It wasn't even the 3rd out in the last inning of the last game, and the go-ahead run didn't score on that play. So what?"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

fknlo posted:

I think the most comedy option possible is the Cards making it, blowing their challenge early and losing and then getting a repeat play from game 6 of the '85 series. A guy can dream.

I'll never understand why its so hard to understand how the replay rules work.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zythrst posted:

I'll never understand why its so hard to understand how the replay rules work.

Because by and large they haven't been enforced (which is a good thing) the way they are laid out in the rule books.

The whole "you get 1 in the first 6 innings, and another if you're right, and after 6 it's umpire's discretion" rule has largely turned into "Manager can ask umpire to review anything allowable at any time, regardless of what inning it is or if he still has a challenge."

Which is the way it oughta work, really. The goal of replay should be to minimize blown calls, not to turn use of replay into a strategic element. I am happy that umpires are reviewing more plays than strictly necessary by rule.

But as a result, it's not really that surprising that viewers don't understand who's initiating what, what's allowable by rule, etc.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

h/t VivaElBirdos

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The_Hat posted:

Is there a lot of antagonism between the fanbases of the Cardinals and Royals? Just wondering how that possible series would play out in Missouri, because I would think that a Cubs/White Sox World Series would be drat near insufferable in Chicago.

In general, White Sox fans care far more about the Cubs than Cubs fans do about the White Sox.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

fknlo posted:

I think the most comedy option possible is the Cards making it, blowing their challenge early and losing and then getting a repeat play from game 6 of the '85 series. A guy can dream.

I hate the Cardinals with a passion, but I wouldn't want them to lose that way. If they lose, it should be because they got beat on the field and not because of a horrible call.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FairGame posted:

h/t VivaElBirdos

Wow, this is beautiful.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FairGame posted:

h/t VivaElBirdos

Foreword by Ned Yost?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The_Hat posted:

Is there a lot of antagonism between the fanbases of the Cardinals and Royals? Just wondering how that possible series would play out in Missouri, because I would think that a Cubs/White Sox World Series would be drat near insufferable in Chicago.

Pretty much everyone in Missouri who is not a Cardinals fan is annoyed by Cardinals fans. Conversely, Cardinals fans do not seem to have any idea how obnoxious they are.

I wouldn't really call myself anything other than a Royals well-wisher (although I did dig out a picture of myself when I was a baby dressed in Royals gear this morning), but every year in college I'd look forward longingly to the day each fall when Columbia's bars would not be filled with fat sweaty virgins from St. Louis all yelling at the TV all night.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Cardinal hate from the Royals fans is also based in the fact that there's a stupid amount of Chiefs fans who root for the Cardinals. They're in our schools and grocery stores. Even in '85 there were kids in my elementary school bitching about that call. That call didn't lose the series, game 7's shellacking did. The Cardinals won the first two games and the Royals were the first team to lose the first two and still win the series.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kiimo posted:

The Cardinal hate from the Royals fans is also based in the fact that there's a stupid amount of Chiefs fans who root for the Cardinals. They're in our schools and grocery stores. Even in '85 there were kids in my elementary school bitching about that call. That call didn't lose the series, game 7's shellacking did. The Cardinals won the first two games and the Royals were the first team to lose the first two and still win the series.

That and Jack Clark dropping a popup.

Bartman:Denkinger as Alex Gonzalez:Jack Clark

Also, I just learned that Mike Matheny's full name is Michael Scott Matheny. It's like The Office has come to life and brought the worst manager possible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The call put a dude on base but it would have just been one out and they still had a lead at the time after it anyway. They had to gently caress up a bunch of stuff to lose that game. The call just gets blown up because Cardinals fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

That and Jack Clark dropping a popup.

Was just finding that. Man he misplays the hell out of that ball.

Jesus this whole inning, Sundberg bunts with two strikes and does get the bunt down, but it isn't a sacrifice because they get Orta at third. Then Worrell crosses up his catcher and there's a passed ball at the worst time. John Wathan as one of the weirder pinch runners I can remember, although I guess he was fast for a catcher.

e: Astroturf was the worst but watching that made me wonder just how many infield singles this Royals team could hit if they still had it. loving Aoki wouldn't even try to hit the ball out of the infield.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 16, 2014

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I think a large amount of Cardinals fans do genuinely have no idea how the outside views them. I think we so often still think of ourselves as plucky underdogs even though that really isn't true. That's part of what people find so obnoxious, I think.

I think St. Louis in general has kind of an inferiority complex, not unlike many cities that peaked 50 years ago. The baseball team is one avenue people can feel superior about. I have very mixed feelings about my hometown. The Ferguson events have definitely brought back to the forefront all of the things I hated about it growing up, that's for sure. Strangely though, I think being away from the city I've actually become more of a Cardinals fan. Being older and understanding the game better is one reason, the other being that they really got good again after I left for college. My earliest memories were the Joe Torre and early Larussa years, when they made the playoffs once in 12 years. So I definitely grew up feeling like they were underdogs, since I had little firsthand experience with playoff success.

Once I got out of St. Louis and they got good again, I started to realize, "oh yeah, they win a lot, don't they?" I'd never really considered the perspective of other fans with teams that sucked for decades.

So yeah, I can't complain. Win or lose today, Satan is still on our side in the long run, as he's proven since the 1920s.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I think a large amount of Cardinals fans do genuinely have no idea how the outside views them. I think we so often still think of ourselves as plucky underdogs even though that really isn't true. That's part of what people find so obnoxious, I think.

I'm guessing that those people who dislike the Giants do so because of this. That and the fact that the Giants and Cardinals transform into supermen when the playoffs start.

I'm obviously biased but I don't see a lot of reason to hate the Giants though. The players are super likable, they have great announcers (Kruk and Kuipe are probably the best team in baseball), and even their owners are okay since they are one of the few teams in pro sports who mostly privately funded their stadium. Plus the lord Barrold Bonds is the patron saint of this organization.

That said I'd absolutely be rooting for the Royals if I weren't a Giants fan but it wouldn't be because I hate the Giants so much as they're a fun team who hasn't won in a while so it'd be cool if they did.

I should change this wretched avatar since my toxx concerning it is over but all my teams are doing well right now so I don't want to jinx anything :ohdear:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Rand alPaul posted:

I thought defense was proven to be poo poo in sabermetrics? Like most teams with bad defense and good offense go to the playoffs (COUGH DETROIT TIGERS), while teams with just good defense barely break even.

In a vacuum this might be true, but KC has constructed an entire team around this identity. When you have a bunch of flyball pitchers, and play in Kauffman Stadium, and have the best outfield defense in the league, it kind of matters.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, after watching that I wondered why Hal McRae was available to pinch hit, the game was at Kaufman/Royals stadium back then and as I remember it he was their DH pretty much all year.

Apparently from 76-85 they just alternated years, you'd use a DH for all world series games in the even years and no DH in the odd ones. They switched to the current home game thing in 1986.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If the Royals don't win the World Series I don't know if I can watch sports anymore

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

sweet thursday posted:

If the Royals don't win the World Series I don't know if I can watch sports anymore

Just become a Giants fan, you'll only have to watch sports every other year

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm guessing that those people who dislike the Giants do so because of this. That and the fact that the Giants and Cardinals transform into supermen when the playoffs start.

I'm obviously biased but I don't see a lot of reason to hate the Giants though. The players are super likable, they have great announcers (Kruk and Kuipe are probably the best team in baseball), and even their owners are okay since they are one of the few teams in pro sports who mostly privately funded their stadium. Plus the lord Barrold Bonds is the patron saint of this organization.

That said I'd absolutely be rooting for the Royals if I weren't a Giants fan but it wouldn't be because I hate the Giants so much as they're a fun team who hasn't won in a while so it'd be cool if they did.

I should change this wretched avatar since my toxx concerning it is over but all my teams are doing well right now so I don't want to jinx anything :ohdear:

The Giants are perfectly cool and I hate them and want them to die. I imagine this is what every fan of an objectively better team feels about the Cardinals over the last decade. Except the Cardinals actually have hateable players and I'm not sure the Giants do now that Brian Wilson is gone. But gently caress them regardless.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FairGame posted:

The Giants are perfectly cool and I hate them and want them to die. I imagine this is what every fan of an objectively better team feels about the Cardinals over the last decade. Except the Cardinals actually have hateable players and I'm not sure the Giants do now that Brian Wilson is gone. But gently caress them regardless.

The Giants are the Cardinals of the Cardinals.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
When the Giants were terrible and I attended away games it was always

"Bonds, lol steroids cheater"

And then they won a few world series and it became

"Lol, bandwagon"

My point is that fans of other teams will find any reason to hate a team and if the team is good they hear about them more and it becomes annoying.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Darrell Porter had some SEXY glasses in that video. Criminy those things ate his face.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

FairGame posted:

Also, I just learned that Mike Matheny's full name is Michael Scott Matheny. It's like The Office has come to life and brought the worst manager possible.

Wow, that is so fitting.

I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Carlton Banks posted:

Wow, that is so fitting.

I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!!

Oscar Taveras is Toby.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Retail Slave posted:

In general, White Sox fans care far more about the Cubs than Cubs fans do about the White Sox.

I really don't think this is true post-2005. And especially now when both teams have been bad for a bit. The whole rivalry has pretty much died down. It used to be impossible to get tickets to a Sox/Cubs game, and now you can get one the day of the game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I hope this year the SF hipster rioters burn a Google bus instead of a Muni bus after they win the World Series, just to keep things current and edgy and hip.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The_Hat posted:

My freshman year of college was 1999-2000. The college I went to was probably around 40% KC people, 40% St. Louis people and 20% random small town in Missouri people. To put it mildly, I loathed St. Louis sports after my freshman year of college. I'd never had a problem with them before then having been brought up on a "cheer for the Missouri team" kind of deal. Living among them ruined that. I have similar feelings for St. Louis fans and KU fans for pretty much the same reasons.

I have quite a few friends that still live in St. Louis but man I hate their sports teams.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
About to head into the city for the game. Go Giants.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

fknlo posted:

"cheer for the Missouri team" kind of deal

I was brought up the opposite of that. I feel horrible if I start saying nice things about a Missouri team. It is super fun to scoff at Chiefs/Royals fan regularly. I think the main reason I want the Royals to lose right now is to see what #takethecrown turns into. With the Royals fans I know, it would probably turn into quiet dejection with "It was fun while it lasted" being overheard shortly thereafter.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The_Hat posted:

Other than your standard "Cardinals fans are terrible" stuff (which isn't specific to the Royals), there's not a lot of antagonism between the fanbases that I know of. Depending on where you are in Missouri, you might never meet a fan of the other team, and since they're in different leagues, there's just not much to get upset over. Contrast this with Chicago (or New York), where anywhere you go, you're likely going to come across some fans of the other team. Get those fans all excited because of a possible championship, and it gets old fast.

I wonder where the Royals Kindgom fades into Cardinal Nation? People in that area might have some antagonism.

Even the old-time fans like me who remember 1985 don't really hate the Royals as a team, much less their fans. We either accept the fact that the blown call didn't cause the Royals to win, or we blame the umpire.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

"We joke we have a Bloop Attack, a Walk Attack, any kind of attack," said San Francisco hitting coach Hensley Meulens. "And we have the RTI — runs thrown in."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
RTI is the best stat no one's recording.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't think there's been a World Series with 2 wild card teams since the playoffs expanded, right?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Retail Slave posted:

I don't think there's been a World Series with 2 wild card teams since the playoffs expanded, right?

Which expansion are you talking about? There have been several since the LDS was added, none since the wildcard playoff added in 2012.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

Do you mean since they expanded to 2 Wild Cards? That only happened in 2012, so that's not surprising.

If you mean since they introduced the Wild Card then 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Which expansion are you talking about? There have been several since the LDS was added, none since the wildcard playoff added in 2012.

I meant since the wild card was introduced.

• Locked thread