Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like some well done damage physics to come into play over the next few patches. Wound types to reflect piercing, slashing or piercing damage. Bullets or other projectiles stay stuck in the wound and require surgery to remove, some types may even leave permanent damage if removed improperly. I'd especially like stuff like broken bones or knockout blows from blunt damage, if you take a slingshot to the dome there should be a very good chance of knocking you out or at least giving you a concussion.

Crank it up a notch with high tech weapons blasting off limbs (plasma bolts) and lasers doing burning damage in addition to piercing and various bullet calibers to really make things interesting. Armor piercing bullets that do less damage overall and shredding rounds that bounce off armor. Then add a bunch of weapon mods that lets you upgrade guns and apply these bullet types and other modifiers and we're going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I need a mod to stop trees and walls from overlapping in weird ways like an ocd mod.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Felime posted:

I'll look into it, but I've got other things I'd like to do. (both modwise, and otherwise) Coming off of doing a lot of tedious copying over, and writing a script to do it is just as tedious.

I think every time it just comes down to time investment required to learn whatever excel/regex/whatever code wizardry something up vs amount of time it takes to copy things over (Only a couple of hours to do the ones that are just xml mad libs, really.). I'm sure it's a fairly trivial task for a professional who knows exactly what they're doing, but those people tend to have jobs doing that.

For the ones that are just fill-in-the-blank variations with no C# attached, give me some examples and I'll make you a script that'll take a .csv spreadsheet and spit out relevant XML files. I'll just need to know what platform you're on (Windows/Mac/Linux/whatever).

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Roadie posted:

For the ones that are just fill-in-the-blank variations with no C# attached, give me some examples and I'll make you a script that'll take a .csv spreadsheet and spit out relevant XML files. I'll just need to know what platform you're on (Windows/Mac/Linux/whatever).

That'd be awesome, I'm on windows, but I don't know what the other devs are on. I'll figure that out and put together a current template. You don't have PMs, or I'd say to take it there. Do you have an account on the Ludeon forums I could message?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I doubt anyone will be upset if you post ahandy modding tool here, guys

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Splode posted:

I doubt anyone will be upset if you post ahandy modding tool here, guys

I was more thinking about the leading up discussion and posting of outlines and such. Easier to do that over PMs or skype or email or something. #rimworld on quakenet irc is also a decent place, and I've been hanging out there. (Also so the discussion isn't spread out over a week or something.)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Felime posted:

I think I'm obligated to say Project Armory. I find it boring as hell to just have 2 or 3 weapons to give every colonist, and there's a handy utility to deactivate any weapons you aren't fond of.

Clutter's a great one, gives you a lot to put around to make things nice and pretty and less boring.

The surgery/bionics mods are coming out, but those are in the "people figuring out what they can do" stage, and currently they have to modify core files to work, so they tend to conflict with eachother without the Recipe Nurse utility on the forums. I think Tynian is smoothing that out for Alpha 8, though. Don't have too much experience with them with which to make recommendations, though.

Apparello is the "shitloads of clothes" mod, and the parts I was initially kinda hesitant about aren't really as obtrusive as I'd thought. I'm not a fan of all of it, but it's not hard just to ignore and not use the parts you don't like rather than having to remove them.

Enhanced Defense is cool, and everyone likes embrasures. The shields module for that is also nice to let you build out in the open without worrying about your colony being defenseless against mortars.

TTM (Tech Tree Minami) is the technik/whatever equivalent to rimworld. It combines a lot of mods into plug in modules and adds a lot itself that have all sorts of intermediate steps and supply chains and everything is research gated. It's cool if that's your thing, but not the sort of thing you want to do unless you know the game pretty well already.

And, almost forgot these, but holy poo poo, EdB's UI Mod and his Prepare Carefully are so so so nice just from a usability point of view. Use that poo poo. (Prepare carefully is far nicer than the old Choose your own embark whatsit because you don't have to use it if it's installed, and can just roll normally if you want.

And there's plenty of other cool ones that just aren't my thing or I haven't had a chance to mess with yet.

Geokinesis posted:

I like extended stoneworking if only for the ability to build slightly more varied looking buildings and furniture. Although it really is just a stopgap mod as next Alpha will include this.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a spin.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Huszsersvn posted:

-Using mortars to hunt deer destroys both the ecology and the deer. Better to send hunters.

Pro thread title right there

Sadkitten
Dec 19, 2006

I dont like the way that sounds, not at all!
Seeing as how a few people have edited their defs in this thread, how can I increase/decrease events like pirate raids and people joining my colony? I tried to edit the number values in the Mods/Core/Defs/IncidentDefs - BaseIncidents and it didn't seem to change anything.

I actually ran into a bug where my colony of 5 years had no incidents or factions listed and the only things that happened were notifications of birthdays after years of battling it out.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sadkitten posted:

Seeing as how a few people have edited their defs in this thread, how can I increase/decrease events like pirate raids and people joining my colony? I tried to edit the number values in the Mods/Core/Defs/IncidentDefs - BaseIncidents and it didn't seem to change anything.

Changing the IncidentDefs numbers does affect the game, but the storyteller's progression stuff also effects event frequency. I boosted the trade ship frequency up really high to test it, and I basically had a ship available all the time, but, as my colony grew, the storyteller still made it so slave ships stopped popping up.

You can actually edit their stuff in storyteller defs or something like that. In particular, you can change what the storyteller's optimal number of colonists is via a few numbers, which will increase slave ships and random events that get you colonists.

From looking at it, other than Randy Random, most of the event variables for the others are based on colony size, and then your wealth or whatever affects the size of the threat when attacks come. Although I'm pretty sure the first couple of threat events are scripted, since I always get a single wild animal then a small pirate attack as my first two threats.

If you want to screw with core files, I'd recommend just making a custom, personal mod that you copy-paste anything you want to screw with into, that way you'll have the core folder untouched and still be able to change things. Just make sure to keep the same folder structure copying over. Screwing with core files by changing default entries can mess up other mods that do the same, though.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dunno if it's particular to that TTM mod, but I just started a colony and one of the default colonists was a very neurotic (+30% work speed, +15 break threshold) android (+100 mood, +30% work speed, +0.16 move speed, -100% psi sensitivity) with no will-not-do tasks. Pretty much the ideal colonist.

On that, any mods that add in custom character creation? Kind of sucks having to random through when starting a new colony, hoping to stumble on a decent mix.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Lassitude posted:

On that, any mods that add in custom character creation? Kind of sucks having to random through when starting a new colony, hoping to stumble on a decent mix.

Yeah, that EdB Prepare Carefully mod ( https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0 ) lets you customize your guys, from appearance to skills and passions. I saw some Let's Player use it and I had to immediately get it myself, because it's awesome. I know a lot of goons mentioned it previously in the thread, but seeing it in action really showed how great it was for getting your colony set up just so.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 18, 2014

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
When I was talking about using spreadsheets to track and update weapons I was thinking of something a bit like this (untested; won't be very useful as-is for PA's one-weapon-per-file system)

As I was working on it I realise the tag-based data structure doesn't really work so well with this approach, so that's an afternoon wasted.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Felime posted:

I think I'm obligated to say Project Armory. I find it boring as hell to just have 2 or 3 weapons to give every colonist, and there's a handy utility to deactivate any weapons you aren't fond of.

Clutter's a great one, gives you a lot to put around to make things nice and pretty and less boring.

Apparello is the "shitloads of clothes" mod, and the parts I was initially kinda hesitant about aren't really as obtrusive as I'd thought. I'm not a fan of all of it, but it's not hard just to ignore and not use the parts you don't like rather than having to remove them.

Enhanced Defense is cool, and everyone likes embrasures. The shields module for that is also nice to let you build out in the open without worrying about your colony being defenseless against mortars.

TTM (Tech Tree Minami) is the technik/whatever equivalent to rimworld. It combines a lot of mods into plug in modules and adds a lot itself that have all sorts of intermediate steps and supply chains and everything is research gated. It's cool if that's your thing, but not the sort of thing you want to do unless you know the game pretty well already.

And, almost forgot these, but holy poo poo, EdB's UI Mod and his Prepare Carefully are so so so nice just from a usability point of view. Use that poo poo. (Prepare carefully is far nicer than the old Choose your own embark whatsit because you don't have to use it if it's installed, and can just roll normally if you want.

And there's plenty of other cool ones that just aren't my thing or I haven't had a chance to mess with yet.

I grabbed all these except the tech tree one and they definitely add a lot to the game. Previously I'd just been sticking colonists in 4x4 empty rooms because there was not reason to do anything else but adding the clutter stuff is fun. Apparello is nice just for the extra hats. The armory mod is kind of cool but it seems a little unnecessary, adds a lot of management and there's no good way to tell which weapons are upgrades from what you have already without checking all the stats. The variety is cool though.

Shields are amazing and might be too good, I haven't lost a colonist yet and my computer started chugging from the amount of people I have running around. Right now I have almost a dozen prisoners and was running into food problems before I switched more of my hydroponics from cotton to food.

My favourite colonist is Byte the researcher. He's a nudist with a mohawk and no real skill except for something like 15 in research. He's got a little research bench area set up near the geothermal plant with a bunch of lockers and a weird blue light. I figure everyone's just got used to him being naked now, it's not a big deal.

I tried doing the external colonies with actual building for a while but I find digging into a mountain just seems to work better. Keeps your bedrooms safe from mortars and everything is nice and close together, which keeps things efficient.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Blisster posted:

I grabbed all these except the tech tree one and they definitely add a lot to the game. Previously I'd just been sticking colonists in 4x4 empty rooms because there was not reason to do anything else but adding the clutter stuff is fun. Apparello is nice just for the extra hats. The armory mod is kind of cool but it seems a little unnecessary, adds a lot of management and there's no good way to tell which weapons are upgrades from what you have already without checking all the stats. The variety is cool though.

Shields are amazing and might be too good, I haven't lost a colonist yet and my computer started chugging from the amount of people I have running around. Right now I have almost a dozen prisoners and was running into food problems before I switched more of my hydroponics from cotton to food.

My favourite colonist is Byte the researcher. He's a nudist with a mohawk and no real skill except for something like 15 in research. He's got a little research bench area set up near the geothermal plant with a bunch of lockers and a weird blue light. I figure everyone's just got used to him being naked now, it's not a big deal.

I tried doing the external colonies with actual building for a while but I find digging into a mountain just seems to work better. Keeps your bedrooms safe from mortars and everything is nice and close together, which keeps things efficient.

Yeah, Armory has an excessive quantity of guns(Though once you know what you like, it's easy to turn off ones you don't care for). Most of them are vaguely what you expect if you know what they are in the source, and you can generally tell upgrades based on the price. But it definitely is a bit on the spergy end. I vastly prefer that to giving every colonist an M24, LMG, or M16(or the occasional minigun) though.

I completely forgot that shields had the ones that protect from bullets. I've pretty much ignored those, and only used the overhead shields that make building out in the open not a death sentence unless you rush all sieges before they start shelling you.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Felime posted:

The surgery/bionics mods are coming out, but those are in the "people figuring out what they can do" stage, and currently they have to modify core files to work, so they tend to conflict with eachother without the Recipe Nurse utility on the forums. I think Tynian is smoothing that out for Alpha 8, though. Don't have too much experience with them with which to make recommendations, though.

Just a word of warning, I installed these and it started throwing up tons of errors on login.

It seemed to come entirely from the Enhanced Defense mod, and the discussion on the Ludeon forums set me right. When you install it, it seems you need to activate them in a very specific order.

First deactivate everything except the Rimworld Core mod
Restart Rimworld
Activate only ED-Core
Restart
Now activate those you want.

The problem I was having was the Laser Drill consuming resources, being built but then the finished construction not appearing. This fixed that.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Felime posted:

Yeah, Armory has an excessive quantity of guns(Though once you know what you like, it's easy to turn off ones you don't care for). Most of them are vaguely what you expect if you know what they are in the source, and you can generally tell upgrades based on the price. But it definitely is a bit on the spergy end. I vastly prefer that to giving every colonist an M24, LMG, or M16(or the occasional minigun) though.

I completely forgot that shields had the ones that protect from bullets. I've pretty much ignored those, and only used the overhead shields that make building out in the open not a death sentence unless you rush all sieges before they start shelling you.

I killed some mechtoids and scavenged some sort of rail rifle that has a ridiculous 40 bullet burst or something like that. I'd love a mod just full of ridiculous sci-fi weapons with weird effects, armory has some of that but there's a heck of a lot of normal assault rifles. Still an improvement over vanilla though, I agree.

The shields might be a little bit too good. I have a long, narrow passage leading into the valley my base is in. At the end I have about 5 turrets and some sandbags covered by a shield. I just stick everybody behind the shield and the only time I've got close to losing people was when a huge group of tribesmen rushed me and got inside the shield. Pirate raiders have been a non-issue. Normally I'd need way more turrets.

On the other hand, Randy Random has been very kind to me this playthrough. Very few raids or sieges while I was getting set up, and now my base is littered with turrets and I have like 10 mortars so sieges get wrecked really quickly. I'm having fun though, I've always like the building part of these games more than the combat.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I like including some of the Armory guns even if they are kind of out there, because they match a particular character. For instance every Commissar gets a bolt pistol :commissar:. Every fighter controller gets a lasgun; every space marine gets a boltgun, every barkeeper gets a shotgun of some kind, anyone named Mal gets Vera, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Felime posted:

That'd be awesome, I'm on windows, but I don't know what the other devs are on. I'll figure that out and put together a current template. You don't have PMs, or I'd say to take it there. Do you have an account on the Ludeon forums I could message?

Yeah.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Blisster posted:

The shields might be a little bit too good. I have a long, narrow passage leading into the valley my base is in. At the end I have about 5 turrets and some sandbags covered by a shield. I just stick everybody behind the shield and the only time I've got close to losing people was when a huge group of tribesmen rushed me and got inside the shield. Pirate raiders have been a non-issue. Normally I'd need way more turrets.

Yeah they are too good, they make losing colonists next to impossible. Then again there is fair amount of people on the rimworld forums who will just reload when someone dies or something bad happens.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's the small scale of the game and the relative infrequency of new blood. I do that when people die in lovely ways. Like, lucky headshot just murders one of your best colonists.

That part reminds me a lot of XCOM.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
It's the small scale that weaves the story. If you reload then you're robbing yourself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rapacity posted:

It's the small scale that weaves the story. If you reload then you're robbing yourself.

Yeah, I like to think of my colonies as lost cause, Pitch Black sorts of things. Every successfully repelled raid or fruitful mining expedition is a miracle, each converted colonist a reinforcement from the heavens. Being turned into paste by blanketing mortar fire isn't defeat, but rest.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah reloading defeats the story building I love in this game.

For instance: my farmer Draxx is buried overlooking the fields that she established and tended to after she tried to shift a mechanoid Scyther off of her lawn. I've made sure the roses by her grave are well kept as she was both a brilliant farmer and also a total bitch to everyone around her.

RIP 'unpleasant conversation' moods :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I need to stop naming my colonists after loved ones, so I don't feel pressured to reload. Its like Oregon Trail all over again.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
But the best part of naming characters after friends and family is telling them how they died.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I second the deer hunting title, sums up our bumbling adventures in space colonization well!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

boatiemathmo posted:

Just a word of warning, I installed these and it started throwing up tons of errors on login.

It seemed to come entirely from the Enhanced Defense mod, and the discussion on the Ludeon forums set me right. When you install it, it seems you need to activate them in a very specific order.

First deactivate everything except the Rimworld Core mod
Restart Rimworld
Activate only ED-Core
Restart
Now activate those you want.

The problem I was having was the Laser Drill consuming resources, being built but then the finished construction not appearing. This fixed that.

I can't seem to get the arsenal mod to play nice with ED and despite lots of reading I don't know why. I've tried it with every weapon activated and then would deactive any weapon that would throw an error but that just made others throw errors.

I was kinda hoping for an army of cowboys in dusters armed with Veras too. :smith:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Sounds like it's still some kind of problem related to loading order with ED. I had Project Armory already installed, then added ED later on, and had no issues, so it's not a direct conflict.

For ED, you have to activate ED-Core first (out of any ED mods; it doesn't have to be the absolute first one you do, but it does have to be the first of any ED mod). Then, if any of your ED modules have Autoloaders as a dependency, that must be the next mod you activate. Then, activate your ED modules one by one, in case you get any errors.

If you screw up any of those step and start throwing errors, you have to deactivate EVERYTHING, and then start over, until you don't get any more errors.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Leif. posted:

Sounds like it's still some kind of problem related to loading order with ED. I had Project Armory already installed, then added ED later on, and had no issues, so it's not a direct conflict.

For ED, you have to activate ED-Core first (out of any ED mods; it doesn't have to be the absolute first one you do, but it does have to be the first of any ED mod). Then, if any of your ED modules have Autoloaders as a dependency, that must be the next mod you activate. Then, activate your ED modules one by one, in case you get any errors.

If you screw up any of those step and start throwing errors, you have to deactivate EVERYTHING, and then start over, until you don't get any more errors.

I have been loading ED-Core first, and then activating each other mod one by one. I'll try it with doing ED-Core and the other ED mods last and see if that fixes it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have been loading ED-Core first, and then activating each other mod one by one. I'll try it with doing ED-Core and the other ED mods last and see if that fixes it.

Make sure you do the autoloader mod immediately after ED-Core, as it's also a dependency for some of the other ones. And if it still throws errors, deactivate everything (including non-ED mods), and try in-order again; the errors won't go away otherwise.

Make sure that you're hitting "close" after activating or deactivating mods as well, and not just checking the box, then checking the other boxes. You have to close out of the window to fully activate or deactivate so as not to throw errors. (Isn't strictly necessary for the individual ED component mods, but it IS necessary to do after ED-Core, and again after ED-Autoloader; after that you don't necessarily need to do it unless you're getting errors, but I did it anyway just to be safe and it worked for me.)

Aside from that, post on the forums with the log I guess.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Does embrasures, shields, personal shields, or laser drill require autoloaders? I'm not using the other ED mods and thought I didn't need autoloaders.

The errors for Project Armory appear when ED-Core is also activated, regardless of which one I activate first.

Also, quick question about laser drills, do they centre the new vent in the 4x4 area they cover?

E: Also please stop repeating yourself, I only posted about my problem because I'd already followed the reccomended steps and something is still not working. I am well aware of the importance of the loading order and how to do it.

EE: This is my current attempted load order, I have tried it with the ED mods last and Project Armory first and several other orders:

This is what happens the moment both ED-Core and Project Armory are loaded, regardless of load order:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 20, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Fermented Tinal posted:

Does embrasures, shields, personal shields, or laser drill require autoloaders? I'm not using the other ED mods and thought I didn't need autoloaders.

The errors for Project Armory appear when ED-Core is also activated, regardless of which one I activate first.

Also, quick question about laser drills, do they centre the new vent in the 4x4 area they cover?

E: Also please stop repeating yourself, I only posted about my problem because I'd already followed the reccomended steps and something is still not working. I am well aware of the importance of the loading order and how to do it.

You're getting mad about one post that repeats ~some~ directions while trying to help you? Figure it out yourself then.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Leif. posted:

You're getting mad about one post that repeats ~some~ directions while trying to help you? Figure it out yourself then.

Twice, and they were the same directions someone else had already posted, do you think I didn't follow them despite quoting them in my original question post?

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
pfft, like I'm gonna listen to some guy who hates Rimworld on matters related to Rimworld.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Wow, I must've really struck a nerve there. I was hoping for fresh advice since the problem doesn't seem to be load-order related, but thanks for the new custom title and avatar, mine were getting kinda dated.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Wow, I must've really struck a nerve there. I was hoping for fresh advice since the problem doesn't seem to be load-order related, but thanks for the new custom title and avatar, mine were getting kinda dated.

Leif. posted:

Make sure you do the autoloader mod immediately after ED-Core, as it's also a dependency for some of the other ones. And if it still throws errors, deactivate everything (including non-ED mods), and try in-order again; the errors won't go away otherwise.

Make sure that you're hitting "close" after activating or deactivating mods as well, and not just checking the box, then checking the other boxes. You have to close out of the window to fully activate or deactivate so as not to throw errors. (Isn't strictly necessary for the individual ED component mods, but it IS necessary to do after ED-Core, and again after ED-Autoloader; after that you don't necessarily need to do it unless you're getting errors, but I did it anyway just to be safe and it worked for me.)

Aside from that, post on the forums with the log I guess.

:thumbsup:

I REQUIRE ASSISTANCE. NO GODDAMIT YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG WHAT DO I NOT PAY YOUR FOR?!?!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In general, sounding ungrateful when someone goes out of their way to help you is a bit of a faux pas

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ninjewtsu posted:

In general, sounding ungrateful when someone goes out of their way to help you is a bit of a faux pas

Still through, :10bux: because a guy rated someones advice "0/5 would not listen to again"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ninjewtsu posted:

I said please. :smith:

It seemed like he hadn't read my post or seen that I'd quoted and stated the advice he kept repeating wasn't working.

E: Also, I did really need a new avatar and title. The ones I had were almost 9 years old and I don't think RAPEAPE even posts anymore. I've been debating changing them for awhile but now I don't have to. :sun: