Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

My plan to build an entire ballistic missile and then duct tape a Bluetooth enabled GPS unit to the front is foiled!
You laugh but building a GPS guided missile with RC jets is actually trivially easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

azflyboy posted:

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

COCOM restrictions! Though, with the new availability of cheap SDR hardware, one could build a GPS receiver that ignored such limits if they so desired. (Anyone who would actually be building said missile would of course be able to design their own receiver, plus add additional guidance mechanisms such as star trackers because what kind of ballistic missile would depend on GPS?)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

And you are right! The ailerons and flaps are all deflected up (i.e., the flaps are at a negative setting) which decreases the camber of the wing and lowers the CLmax. That means that if it flies through an upgust that takes it to the critical AOA, it will make less lift than it would otherwise and therefor make less stress.

In addition to that, the ailerons go up more than the flaps, which moves more of the lift inboard and thereby reduces the wing bending moment for the same total lift condition.

I thought this was the cleverest thing when I first read about it.

Now I can't find the Youtube video where I saw this, but the 787 has something similar that automatically kicks in above some certain G.

Early airbus 320s had something similar, called "load alleviation function" or LAF. They found it really didn't do anything but add complexity, so they deleted it from later models. You want clever, you want to see what the 787 does with its flaps for efficiency! Variably self adjusting for efficiency, with no crew input or control at all!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

movax posted:

COCOM restrictions! Though, with the new availability of cheap SDR hardware, one could build a GPS receiver that ignored such limits if they so desired.
Aren't you the goon who got a visit from the Feds for unwittingly doing that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
An incredibly wholesome picture from the olden days of a Stratocruiser taxiing across an underpass in Queens, New York, March 1951.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

747 at O'hare doing the same

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Inacio posted:

Man I am just on a ugly flying machine spree today

How nice of the German Army to label where a ZSU should aim. :v:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

That was pretty awesome. Too bad he was only at 70,000ft for like a minute near the end, most of the in-flight footage seemed to be as he was around 40,000ft.

It was neat watching the landing chase car streak onto the runway as it was approaching.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

evil_bunnY posted:

You laugh but building a GPS guided missile with RC jets is actually trivially easy.

I just wonder why we haven't heard of it being done. The parts are "quite literally" off the shelf. I could walk in to my local hobby shop, and walk out with the right stuff, and put a plane, heli, or quad anywhere, with tens of feet accuracy.

Heck, you don't even need gps. :-) But that starts to get into things that are really dangerous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nerobro posted:

I just wonder why we haven't heard of it being done. The parts are "quite literally" off the shelf. I could walk in to my local hobby shop, and walk out with the right stuff, and put a plane, heli, or quad anywhere, with tens of feet accuracy.

Heck, you don't even need gps. :-) But that starts to get into things that are really dangerous.

Good luck building something with a large enough payload capacity without using anything restricted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nerobro posted:

Payload is a problem, but RC-style drones as weapons or ISR tools aren't unheard of:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-man-in-connecticut-plotted-to-fly-drone-like-toy-planes-with-bombs-into-school/

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-south-korea-drones-north-korea-20140404,0,4484004.story#axzz30PNwxUZf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Literally any light aircraft can make that with ferry tanks. I swear I read a blog post about doing a transpacific ferry on in a single engine cessna but I only found a transatlantic one for that.

You're probably thinking of this guy. Transpacific solo in a C172, took 75 hours including a 24 hour leg.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Never saw the Pacific one

e:
This is probably the other one that you found:
http://www.cessna150-152.com/transatlantic.htm

Transatlantic, as the link suggests

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 17, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh, and don't forget which plane holds the continuous flight time record
Before you look it up, have a guess at 1) how long it was up there, and 2) what it was (although that's rather obvious now from the context of discussion)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its been linked in the thread vaguely recently I think.

Another hint: the plane is in McCarran

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Aerial refueling ain't got nothin' on that

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I posted it on the 11th July in this thread, thought it had been enough time for us to get new readers in who might not have seen it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah but building something that can reach 60,000 ft or 1200mph is not. If you can build a missile that can do either/both of those, you probably have the resources to roll your own unrestricted GPS device or obtain one.

azflyboy posted:

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Good luck building something with a large enough payload capacity without using anything restricted.

Define large enough? 1 pound? 2 pounds? 10 pounds? 20 pounds? 100 pounds? I can do all of the above with hobby shop, and at worst, hardware store materials.

Flite Test on youtube flies some rather big stuff using extruded foam, and foamboard. Using "NO" engineering, just guessing at things, they flew a cider block.. That's 38 pounds. There's no reason an ardupilot couldn't have taken that to a destination and left a brick in someones driveway. They've also flown a turkey, a blender and the power system to run it, a toaster oven, and a microwave oven. :-)

They're doing that without any real planning. Their airfoils are jokes, their spar designs are just as laughable. And their idea of control surfaces are.. not good. But the planes work.

For payload, check out flite test. Or the "senior telemaster."

I can't say I'm glad you found those articles, but they don't surprise me much. I fear what that might do to RC regulation. :-(

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 17, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yeah but building something that can reach 60,000 ft or 1200mph is not. If you can build a missile that can do either/both of those, you probably have the resources to roll your own unrestricted GPS device or obtain one.

Another sad thing about Concorde being cancelled, you can't take your GPS aboard and watch its cruise performance trigger the ballistic missile fail safe.

A 737 doesn't come near, but still fun to be able to monitor that stuff from ones own device.

I don't think that performance limit is much help against terrorists though. If you don't want to martyr yourself, applying amateur drone / POV remote control to a GA aircraft with a few hundred lbs of usable load probably isn't too hard.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Turkey shoot anyone? 'Tis the season, is it not?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-17/islamic-state-militants-said-to-be-training-to-fly-captured-jets/5823464

quote:

Former Iraqi pilots who have now joined Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria are training members of the group to fly captured fighter jets, a group monitoring the war said on Friday.

It is believed to be the first time the militant group has taken to the air.

The group has been flying the three planes over the captured al-Jarrah Syrian military airport east of Aleppo, Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, citing witnesses in Syria's northern Aleppo province.

"They have trainers, Iraqi officers who were pilots before for [former Iraqi president] Saddam Hussein," he said.

It was not clear whether the jets were equipped with weaponry or whether the pilots could fly longer distances in the aircraft, which witnesses said appeared to be MiG 21 or MiG 23 warplanes captured from the Syrian military.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Surely, our four fighter won't literally get blasted as soon as they are in the air without proper IFF codes"

I mean, c'mon now. Four fighters? Do they KNOW how many coalition and US combat aircraft are roving around there?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CENTCOM is publicly stating that them taking to the air is bullshit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I'm sure they could do pattern work low enough to not show up on radar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sure they're pretty easy to see from orbit and easy to hit from 40k.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

I'm sure they're pretty easy to see from orbit and easy to hit from 40k.

Satellites don't provide 24/7 coverage over an area.

Now U-2s and global hawks....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm sure they could do pattern work low enough to not show up on radar.

AWACS and JSTARS are hanging around. Between them, fighters already in the air, and drones hanging around, there is no place to hide.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

simplefish posted:

Before you look it up, have a guess at 1) how long it was up there, and 2) what it was (although that's rather obvious now from the context of discussion)

How many times did they poo poo at Mach 0.16?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

AWACS and JSTARS are hanging around. Between them, fighters already in the air, and drones hanging around, there is no place to hide.

I was more joking about them getting maybe 100 ft off the ground to make sure the thing worked before planning whatever suicide mission they're going to do.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We'll know ISIS is flying aircraft when all the F-15s get sabotaged by an insider threat to ensure a raptor gets the kill or vice versa.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

More like CENTCOM is spreading disinformation so that none of our coalition members steals the only three air-to-air kills of the entire campaign

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

simplefish posted:

Cessna 172, with one door replaced with a roll up door. IIRC, it was 72 days.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

"Surely, our four fighter won't literally get blasted as soon as they are in the air without proper IFF codes"

I mean, c'mon now. Four fighters? Do they KNOW how many coalition and US combat aircraft are roving around there?

Eh, it's pretty sweet propaganda though. You know there are some retards who are going to panic about evil browns now having fighter jets.

Secretly though, I'm sure there are war-boners raging right now to have a F-22 around to club those jets out of the sky as soon as possible.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

What they don't have is 4 credible air-to-air threats.

What they do have are 4 green cards in the bank if they all take a plane and defect.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Didn't they deploy F-22s in Syria? I wonder how many ISS-piloted MiG-22s a single F-22 can take out before he gets bored and goes home.

movax posted:

Eh, it's pretty sweet propaganda though. You know there are some retards who are going to panic about evil browns now having fighter jets.

Secretly though, I'm sure there are war-boners raging right now to have a F-22 around to club those jets out of the sky as soon as possible.

I'm a brazilian anti-violence borderline buddhist monk person and poo poo I would love to see that. The IS is loving ridiculous and should seriously be eradicated. I know a lot of muslims and the fact that they call that Islam is shameful.

But mostly I just want to see F-22s blow evil planes up.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Inacio posted:

Didn't they deploy F-22s in Syria? I wonder how many ISS-piloted MiG-22s a single F-22 can take out before he gets bored and goes home.

I'm a brazilian anti-violence borderline buddhist monk person and poo poo I would love to see that. The IS is loving ridiculous and should seriously be eradicated. I know a lot of muslims and the fact that they call that Islam is shameful.

But mostly I just want to see F-22s blow evil planes up.

Dunno, how many rounds is in the load out for the gun? Any ballpark numbers on how many rounds per kill? I'd guess it's low since they'd never know it was there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

Well the F-22 can carry 8 missiles...

edit: Re guns, F-22 apparently still uses the ancient M61 with 400 rounds and vietnam was about 200 rounds per kill from what I can find.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 17, 2014

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Ogrel72 posted:

747 at O'hare doing the same

Bridges are cool!

When I flew into Leipzig we didn't taxi over the bridge :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot