Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Last week's PR said they'd both be out this week, yeah. I figured it was a typo but I posted it as-is just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The gently caress NOA? I want DKC!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Handsome Ralph posted:

I wouldn't expect them to put anything out in a timely manner after they flubbed SMB3's release and missed 2013.

I'm expecting November or December.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I live in Peru and registered my 3DS as such. So I cut off access to the eSHOP (since it's US only). I've been told that it's a hardware thing and I'm screwed unless I buy an American 3DS and use it in America, is this true? If I can't buy anything from the eSHOP, can I still use product codes that someone abroad gets for me?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DKC is the American version (60 hertz!).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm curious actually, Rare was a UK dev. Did they originally make the games in PAL and converted them to NTSC? Or did they like most devs make the NTSC version first? And in either case, was the opposite version a proper conversation?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is Donkey Kong Land worth the cash? I'll probably get DKC anyway since I had the Wii VC release.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Is Donkey Kong Land worth the cash? I'll probably get DKC anyway since I had the Wii VC release.

Its uhh... Special.

You know the prerendered detailed look of DKC? Well take that as is and translate it into a 4-color system. Probably would've been better if it was made for the Game Boy Color instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Donkey Kong Land is pretty good. However I think without Super Gameboy sprites may be hard to distinguish from the background a little.

SimplySimon did a good let's play of it, watch a random video from the middle and you'll get a pretty good idea.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm curious actually, Rare was a UK dev. Did they originally make the games in PAL and converted them to NTSC? Or did they like most devs make the NTSC version first? And in either case, was the opposite version a proper conversation?
Pretty sure it's the latter. I know they did bug fixes in the PAL versions of Goldeneye.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know why I was so hyped up to buy DKC today but I sure was. Oh well!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Artix posted:

Wait what I thought we were getting both Aria and Harmony this week? :psyduck: Oh well, I mean I wouldn't have time to play two metroidvanias at once anyway. Kinda annoyed that we're not getting the DK games though.
Did you just refer to Castlevania games as metroidvanias? Did you really?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll trade you them for the GBA Castlevanias.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Don't Buy Donkey Kong Land

Don't Buy Donkey Kong Land

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Well yeah, its as I said, trying to emulate the look of a SNES DKC game on Gameboy without simplifying the graphics at all (or just outright redrawing them) will lead to barely comprehensible graphics and there you have it. They should've waited until the Gameboy Color to attempt that, or at least have released a DX version with colors added in like Link's Awakening or Wario Land 2 as soon as they could.

Japan did that at least with Land 3. It still looks bad but at least you can tell what everything is.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hyrule Warriors acknowledges that I've purchased and installed the DLC, but I don't see a hint of the new characters/equipment anywhere, on any menu. Do I have to unlock this stuff through playing more or what?
vvv Okay, found the clog. The game said it had prepared/installed a DLC update, but it needed to download and install another update too. vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 17, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Space Fish posted:

Hyrule Warriors acknowledges that I've purchased and installed the DLC, but I don't see a hint of the new characters/equipment anywhere, on any menu. Do I have to unlock this stuff through playing more or what?

Did you restart the game from the menu to install it?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Goddamn those donkey kong games look like absolute poo poo!

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

My problem with DKLand wasn't the bad graphics (though they aren't pretty), but how cheap the game is. Some enemies you just have to know where they are before the screen transitions otherwise you're dead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

allfrogs247 posted:

My problem with DKLand wasn't the bad graphics (though they aren't pretty), but how cheap the game is. Some enemies you just have to know where they are before the screen transitions otherwise you're dead.

Yeah, the camera is constantly swinging around, it's nauseating.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The controls are also really bad and unresponsive. It's a bad game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Akuma posted:

Did you just refer to Castlevania games as metroidvanias? Did you really?

I don't think it's such an unreasonable thing to say, considering not all Castlevania games are metroidvanias. The early ones are action platformers and Lords of Shadow is poo poo.

Metroidvania is a genre to which some Castlevania games belong.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think it's such an unreasonable thing to say, considering not all Castlevania games are metroidvanias. The early ones are action platformers and Lords of Shadow is poo poo.

Metroidvania is a genre to which some Castlevania games belong.

Quite a few of them, yeah, and I believe the term was first coined in describing Symphony of the Night. The only inaccurate thing I see is that Harmony (if I remember correctly, but I played it more than eight years ago) was one of the few arcadey Castlevanias post-SotN. Heck, could well be that most of the Castlevanias by now are Metroidvanias.

(or those loving garbage faux-Castlevania 3D titles)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nah, Harmony tries the hardest to be SotN.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Quite a few of them, yeah, and I believe the term was first coined in describing Symphony of the Night. The only inaccurate thing I see is that Harmony (if I remember correctly, but I played it more than eight years ago) was one of the few arcadey Castlevanias post-SotN. Heck, could well be that most of the Castlevanias by now are Metroidvanias.

(or those loving garbage faux-Castlevania 3D titles)

I think Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth was the only recent old-school Castlevania style game in recent years. And that was made by M2 anyways.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harmony of Dissonance (the GBA game) is a metroidvania, Harmony of Despair (the XBLA/PSN game) more closely resembles a SOTN-style game than a classic CV game but it's neither of those.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I wouldn't expect them to put anything out in a timely manner after they flubbed SMB3's release and missed 2013.

I still for the life of me will never understand how they flubbed Super Mario Bros. 3's release so embarrassingly like that. Just made no sense to me. They promised us a date and then gave no explanation for why it was delayed for so long.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Harmony of Dissonance is a lot easier than Circle of the Moon so far. Also completely garish. The last game was too dark and no one could see it! Better make this one visible from space!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Harmony of Dissonance is a lot easier than Circle of the Moon so far. Also completely garish. The last game was too dark and no one could see it! Better make this one visible from space!

Well, it looks good on the original unlit GBA... But yeeeah otherwise it's so drat bright that it like gives you afterimages when you close your eyes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I don't know, I like how it looks save for the doofy looking blue outline.

Its basically Symphony of the Night 2 though. Lot of the same stuff going on, Juste looks like Alucard and such.

Music's great considering it sounds like a Gameboy Color game, voice clips sound way better than they did in CotM.

Its also way quicker to move around but that's probably because I can dash everywhere like in SotN.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Stealth Inc. 2 devs have been posting overview videos of the game, here's one on the gadgets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JwOSwZB_-M

I like that they've made an effort to create unique upgrades rather than sticking to the cliche metroidvania stuff.

The game was originally supposed to be out on the 23rd but it sounds like they moved it back a week.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010
This week's European Eshop update says that Donkey Kong Country 2 is the PAL version (50hz).

:shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aren't all the EU VC releases the PAL version if that's an option? gently caress knows why they're still doing it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hakkesshu posted:

Aren't all the EU VC releases the PAL version if that's an option? gently caress knows why they're still doing it.
No, quite a few of the WiiU VC releases have been NTSC versions, including last week's DKC. It says it in the description on the eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 23):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Bayonetta 2 - €44.99 / £39.99 or €29.99 / £24.99 if you own a digital copy of Bayonetta
    Bayonetta - €29.99 / £24.99 or or €9.99 / £9.99 if you own a digital copy of Bayonetta 2
    Just Dance 2015 - "TBA"
WII U eSHOP
    My Style Studio: Hair Salon - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Namco Museum (GBA) - €5.99 / £5.39
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DKC1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC: Tropical Freeze for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49/ £1.34 until October 30
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until October 30
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until October 30
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 until October 30
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until November 3
    Color Zen (Wii U eShop) - €2.24 / £2.24 from October 23-30
    Color Zen Kids (Wii U eShop) - €2.24 / £2.24 from October 23-30
    Angry Bunnies (Wii U eShop) - free to owners of Angry Bunnies 3DS from October 23-30
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 from October 23-November 6

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Disney Magical World - €39.99 / £34.99
    Power Rangers Megaforce - €34.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    My Style Studio: Hair Salon - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Disney Magical World: Seasonal Set - Halloween - €0.99 / £0.89
  • Disney Magical World: Witches Pumpkin Lantern - free!
  • Disney Magical World: Casual Skull T-Shirt - free!
  • Disney Magical World: Shiny Mickey Headband - free!
  • Disney Magical World: Shiny Minnie Headband - free!
3DS MENU THEMES
    NES Halloween Link - €1.49 / £1.39 (October 24)
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Jack, the Czar of Halloween - €1.49 / £1.39 (October 24)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Land 2 (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Legend of the River King 2 (GBC) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DK Land 1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC Returns 3D for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.25 until October 23
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £6.58 until October 23
    Cube Tactics (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until October 30
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.99 until October 30
    Color Zen (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £2.24 from October 23-30
    Color Zen Kids (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £2.24 from October 23-30
    Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop) - free to owners of Angry Bunnies Wii U from October 23-30
    Fishdom H2O: Hiddey Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €3.74 / £3.35 from October 23-30
    Bubble Pop World (3DS eShop) - €3.74 / £3.35 from October 23-30

Bayo!

DKC2 is listed as the PAL version, in case anyone was expecting otherwise.

Namco Museum GBA contains Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug and Pole Position, for those wondering.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hakkesshu posted:

Because of the language options, I assume.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Having check the usual 3DS threads, I didn't see this get posted but Nintendo just posted ways to get the Pokemon ORAS US demo codes, along with a confirmation of two VC games coming next month. Seems fitting here:

Nintendo.com posted:

How to get a demo code:

- Codes will be distributed at select cinema locations nationwide from Nov. 7–Nov. 13 (while supplies last).
- Check with your local retailer during the holidays to find out about special demo code giveaways (while supplies last).
- Get a code with your purchase of the new Pokémon Art Academy game (out Oct. 24) when you buy from Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system.
- You’ll also get a code with your purchase of one of two classic Pokémon games coming to the Virtual Console service on Nintendo eShop: the Pokémon Puzzle Challenge game (out Nov. 6) or the Pokémon Trading Card Game (out Nov. 13). You'll find your free demo code on your eShop receipt (download codes available while supplies last).
- Codes will be emailed the week of Oct. 31 to select Nintendo customers with Nintendo Network IDs who have signed up to receive promotional emails from Nintendo.
- Codes will also be distributed during the holiday mall tour from Nov. 24‒Dec. 21 at 16 different locations throughout the nation. Talk to a staff member to try out Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or any of the featured Nintendo 3DS games to receive two codes—one for you, and one for a friend (while supplies last). Check back soon for a list of tour locations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Legit upset about DKC2.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Took em long enough to put out the Pokemon TCG game. Been waiting on that ever since Europe got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Helllllllllllll yeah Pokemon TCG. Time to sell my cartridge and continue my all-digital trend.