Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anne Whateley posted:

My only concern would be if there's a lot of lemon and the acidity messes with the texture of the chicken a little. Still edible, cover it in white sauce and I'm sure you wouldn't notice it.

I gotta say, though, that recipe isn't very close to halal carts imo.

It hasn't been marinading in it for 48 hours. I've just made the marinade 48 hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

nwin posted:

It hasn't been marinading in it for 48 hours. I've just made the marinade 48 hours ago.

Your marinade will be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a cheap glass 13x9 pan (Anchor brand) that I burnt some ribs on and there's like some spots of just burnt mess that really don't want to come off the pan.

I've tried soaking it in water with dish soap, hot water, scraping...anything else I should try before I just chuck the dish?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Bob Morales posted:

I have a cheap glass 13x9 pan (Anchor brand) that I burnt some ribs on and there's like some spots of just burnt mess that really don't want to come off the pan.

I've tried soaking it in water with dish soap, hot water, scraping...anything else I should try before I just chuck the dish?
I've never tried this on dishes, but it works amazing for gas burner grates, so maybe it'll be okay for dishes as well? But put like 1 tbsp of ammonia in a large bag, put the dish in, tie off the bag super dee duper tight, then leave it outside over night. Take it out in the morning and the char stuff should wipe right off no problem.

Then maybe wash your dish super well so you're not eat ammonia...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do we have any resources besides the "Help! I'm poor and want to make good food!" thread for planning out a food budget for a small amount of money?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm slow cooking pork shoulder and I need a good side/vegetable dish I can use/make the rest of week for the pork as we eat it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ratatouille

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I want to ship some decorated sugar cookies, any recommendations for cookie recipes and coatings that might work better than others? It'll get shipped across ~1/2 the country. They were just going to be a basic shape with some lettering on them. I've successfully shipped biscotti before, but these may be a bit more difficult.

Pork side: maybe some kind of slaw? But that may not last too long. You may be able to shred a large amount of cabbage and fix it up each night. The bonus is cabbage is super cheap.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

goodness posted:

I'm slow cooking pork shoulder and I need a good side/vegetable dish I can use/make the rest of week for the pork as we eat it.

Pull some, throw it in the oven with salt and lime at a high temp. That is better than traditional carnitas.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bob Morales posted:

There's this stuff I bought so that my husband can have nice coffee. It's called Cafiza, and it takes the gunk off of anything. It does work for casserole dishes too.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

goodness posted:

Do we have any resources besides the "Help! I'm poor and want to make good food!" thread for planning out a food budget for a small amount of money?

That would be the appropriate thread but it might be cool to start a specific weekly meal planning thread too. I have been getting into meal planning a lot recently and am always looking for tips and tricks to be more efficient and reuse the same foods throughout the week in new ways.

What I've been doing lately is just roasting a pan of whatever root veggies I get from the CSA. A couple potatoes, some carrots, a beet or two, some turnips or kohlrabi, a sweet potato. Then I just refrigerate them and can eat hot or cold, as a salad or a side dish, with different sauces, etc. It usually lasts most of the week.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Chicken salad with a chopped apple in it is awesome. Would chicken salad with a chopped apple and a couple chopped hard boiled eggs also be awesome? It seems like a weird combo to me and I don't know if it would work out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have 1 oz of truffles. What should I do with it this weekend?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Eat them.

Edit: real truffles? White or black?

Edit: still eat them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

reflex posted:

Chicken salad with a chopped apple in it is awesome. Would chicken salad with a chopped apple and a couple chopped hard boiled eggs also be awesome? It seems like a weird combo to me and I don't know if it would work out.

I don't know about eggs, and normally I don't care for sweet additions to chicken salad, but dicing up some raw white onion and adding it to your chicken salad with the diced apple is awesome. Texturally they're very similar, but the contrast between the sweetness of the apple bits versus the pungency of the onion bits is amazing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They'll be edible but not nearly as good as if you had more time, I would for sure wait.

Threw them in a crock pot, seasoned with comino, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, and combined with two cans of tomatos+chiles and like 1/3rd a can of water (just in case).

Came home 9 hours later and it was a little soupy. Pulled the bones out, sauteed a green bell pepper, added the contents of the crock pot to that and let it cook for 15 minutes or so to get rid of the liquid.

Ate on flour tortillas and have lots of leftovers for lunch. Good poo poo.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 17, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Threw them in a pressure cooker, seasoned with comino, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, and combined with two cans of tomatos+chiles and like 1/3rd a can of water (just in case).

Came home 9 hours later and it was a little soupy. Pulled the bones out, sauteed a green bell pepper, added the contents of the crock pot to that and let it cook for 15 minutes or so to get rid of the liquid.

Ate on flour tortillas and have lots of leftovers for lunch. Good poo poo.

Hahaha what the heck.

You could have braised them in a pressure cooker in just a couple hours.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

That would be the appropriate thread but it might be cool to start a specific weekly meal planning thread too. I have been getting into meal planning a lot recently and am always looking for tips and tricks to be more efficient and reuse the same foods throughout the week in new ways.

What I've been doing lately is just roasting a pan of whatever root veggies I get from the CSA. A couple potatoes, some carrots, a beet or two, some turnips or kohlrabi, a sweet potato. Then I just refrigerate them and can eat hot or cold, as a salad or a side dish, with different sauces, etc. It usually lasts most of the week.

This sounds perfect for me. Any more detail on the actual cooking? I can follow a recipe but sure can't put something together without yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Hahaha what the heck.

You could have braised them in a pressure cooker in just a couple hours.

I could have but I didn't want to eat dinner at like 8:30.

Not sure where my pressure cooker is anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

goodness posted:

This sounds perfect for me. Any more detail on the actual cooking? I can follow a recipe but sure can't put something together without yet.

Cut the vegetables up (different sizes depending on how long each takes to cook, carrots and sweet potatoes take the longest), toss in oil and seasoning (start with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary) and bake on a cookie sheet or something @ 400 for 45-60 minutes depending on how long things take. Stir them up every 15-20 minutes so they don't stick.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I could have but I didn't want to eat dinner at like 8:30.

Not sure where my pressure cooker is anyway.

Bob Morales posted:

Threw them in a pressure cooker, seasoned with comino, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, and combined with two cans of tomatos+chiles and like 1/3rd a can of water (just in case).

wat

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crock pot. I had other peoples posts stuck in my head.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Crock pot. I had other peoples posts stuck in my head.

Forgiven because you are swole. I hope you ate all that protein so you can get your bench numbers up. :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

black beans, collard greens, sweet potato mash, carrot and cauliflour puree, roasted carrots, roasted broccoli, green beans etc.

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 17, 2014

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Cut the vegetables up (different sizes depending on how long each takes to cook, carrots and sweet potatoes take the longest), toss in oil and seasoning (start with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary) and bake on a cookie sheet or something @ 400 for 45-60 minutes depending on how long things take. Stir them up every 15-20 minutes so they don't stick.

Yep, this is pretty much spot on. I just season with oil, garlic (I throw whole cloves in with the other vegetables) salt, and pepper, and then leave any additional seasonings until later. Rosemary is awesome roasted in there, but then everything I eat them with all week will taste like rosemary, so if I'm making a big batch to last for several meals, I don't add anything extra.

You can also throw in some other veggies towards the end: red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onions...

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I would like to make a goat curry this weekend (not Caribbean, but Indian/SE Asian, preferably). Any good recipe suggestions?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eat them.

Edit: real truffles? White or black?

Edit: still eat them.

Real truffles. Not sure if they're white or black. I've no idea what I should try to make with them. I should probably at least figure out if it's white or black, eh.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm really lazy with food except one day a month or so when I get motivated and make a bunch of freezer meals so I won't have to do a restaurant every night. I've been kicking the idea around about doing homemade hot pockets for breakfast-y stuff, but I'm not really that experienced on what'll freeze well, or if I need to do anything special to get them to freeze. Right now the menu looks something like:
Scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon or sausage, maybe spinach or diced tomatoes
Walnuts, granny smith apples, brie, truffle oil
Caramelized bananas and peanut butter
Blueberries (this looks amazing)

Will I have issues with any of that? Any suggestions for more variations? I'd like to do 20 or so, then I'm set for workdays for a month.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I bought some glutinous rice flour for making Maangchi's kimchi and was wondering what other uses there are for it

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm really lazy with food except one day a month or so when I get motivated and make a bunch of freezer meals so I won't have to do a restaurant every night. I've been kicking the idea around about doing homemade hot pockets for breakfast-y stuff, but I'm not really that experienced on what'll freeze well, or if I need to do anything special to get them to freeze. Right now the menu looks something like:

Will I have issues with any of that? Any suggestions for more variations? I'd like to do 20 or so, then I'm set for workdays for a month.

Those all sound amazing and like they'd freeze well. My main concern with scrambled eggs is that they will over cook while you bake them, so I'd make them super runny while scrambling.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jose posted:

I bought some glutinous rice flour for making Maangchi's kimchi and was wondering what other uses there are for it

Mochi, or rice noodles. If you go with mochi, I'd consider a pumpkin filling, considering the season.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pudgygiant posted:

Breakfast burritos freeze pretty well but I usually do a big batch of regular burritos and use them for lunches during the week.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have about a peck of apples (half golden delicious, half honey crisp) brought home from the orchard today. What should I do with them?

I ate like 10 apples fresh from the trees today so won't be eating them raw for a bit. :)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What are some good bean dishes? I pretty much only make red beans and rice (even if I don't use a red bean).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What are some good bean dishes? I pretty much only make red beans and rice (even if I don't use a red bean).
Bean soup, bean dal, bean chili, bean burgers, baked beans, bean salad, bean curry, bean burritos, refried beans, bean dip.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Good bean recipes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Would using pork stock instead of beef stock in a red wine sauce significantly affect the flavour?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Jose posted:

Tteokbokki, turip cake or cheung fun! Turnip cake is probably the easiest to throw together though, unless you feel like hitting things a lot? You can make lots of dim sum type dishes with rice flour generally though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Real truffles. Not sure if they're white or black. I've no idea what I should try to make with them. I should probably at least figure out if it's white or black, eh.

I'm really not trying to sound like a dick, but are they white or black in colour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hi guys,

I was hoping to make this recipe tonight:

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2014/06/11/simple-thai-food-my-sweet-potato-fritters-recipe/

But I live in Morocco, and the only sweet potato variety available is the starchier white kind. If I'm to make these guys, should I blanch them, or should the texture be good just by frying them?