Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

Oh and mark Lumines as incomparability, not that I am surprised as it had a stupid touch screen to start prompt. Dunno why they bother putting in a "digital touchpad" option if they just going to whitelist any game that requires touch screen.

You can change options to interact with the touch screen to start a game. It's stupid, but it does work.

EDIT The hell? Are you sure you're patched? The English version was even compatible on the Vita TV at launch. Try re-downloading as well if you transferred it from an older Vita install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

You can change options to interact with the touch screen to start a game. It's stupid, but it does work.

EDIT The hell? Are you sure you're patched? The English version was even compatible on the Vita TV at launch. Try re-downloading as well if you transferred it from an older Vita install.

It was from a old Vita install, so I will try that.

[edit] Downloading it now from the Playstation TV store, but noticed it gave me a "this software won't work on a Playstation TV" message. It finished downloading, but it still won't run.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 16, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know if imports were ever in dispute, but I tried my JP copy of Tales of Innocence R and it worked fine on my US PSTV.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Mine's fully updated and has never worked. Physical game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Mine's fully updated and has never worked. Physical game.

Well I'm just baffled and will definitely try again when I get home.

I got it on Japanese PSN as a freebie but definitely had the US version on a card before, and it worked.

EDIT Well poo poo, just tried both the download and the card (patched) and denied on both counts. I checked my notes and it was definitely working before, so gently caress. :ohdear:

EDIT2 I found an incompatible Playstation Mini game: Age of Zombies (not on whitelist and blocked). Every other mini I tried (basically all the free ones) seem to work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2014

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Rirse posted:

Probably going to buy one today, but I wonder if the Vita TV ever got it's list updated on legacy games. I really hope that when they update the list of working games they fix the three PSP games that won't work, even if the only one I really wouldn't mind working is Final Fantasy III, as I got the HD version of Peace Walker and the PS+ copy of SotN.

Do they actually have plans to fix more games to work on the PS.TV? Because I really don't have a lot of hope without some kind of official proclamation. :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Harlock posted:

Again, why can't it just run the Vita app?

I thought about that, too. This is just a theory on my part, but I wonder if the Vita App is maybe licensed exclusively for use with a 'portable gaming system' and to put on a 'console' (which I'm guessing the PSTV falls into) technically requires a different licensing.

However, as a stupid question: Can you remote play Netflix/Youtube from a PS4 to the PSTV?

I'm surprised Hulu is working with Sony though. Hulu struck me as sort of strange how they have an Android app, apps on several disparate devices from one end of the spectrum to another, but I think they still won't support any GoogleTV devices.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, as a stupid question: Can you remote play Netflix/Youtube from a PS4 to the PSTV?

Can't do it on the Vita so I'm 100% sure it wont work.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought about that, too. This is just a theory on my part, but I wonder if the Vita App is maybe licensed exclusively for use with a 'portable gaming system' and to put on a 'console' (which I'm guessing the PSTV falls into) technically requires a different licensing.

It definitely would be. Content companies are super high-strung about what "screens" people watch poo poo on.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Got a quick question, if I want to remote play with a PS4 and I want to use a dual shock 4 does it recognize the control scheme for a DS4 or a vita? I ask because the controls for remote on a vita are usually modified to fit the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Got a quick question, if I want to remote play with a PS4 and I want to use a dual shock 4 does it recognize the control scheme for a DS4 or a vita? I ask because the controls for remote on a vita are usually modified to fit the game.

Rad Valtar posted:

I think ds4 but not 100% sure

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I tested this today and it seems to be 100% identical DS4 controls (at least it was with MGS:GZ)

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
I was hyped for this thing prerelease but real deflated now. You guys liking yours? I wanna play some stuff like Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars and PSP games on the big screen and PS4 remote play. Does Castlevania DXC really not work?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't speak for PSTV specifically but I know the NA version of DXC works on Vita but not the EU version (or vice-versa, I forget which is which).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mrEkli posted:

I was hyped for this thing prerelease but real deflated now. You guys liking yours? I wanna play some stuff like Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars and PSP games on the big screen and PS4 remote play. Does Castlevania DXC really not work?

Sure, I'm quite happy with it. I love that it's so loving small. The interface seems well suited for TV - I think some of it actually makes more sense using buttons than it would using touch, like "hold circle to close window" instead of having to swipe it away on the touch-screen.

I'm waiting on the memory card I ordered to get delivered so I can download some bigger games (since it only comes with 1gb of storage), but right now I'm dickin' around with some simple games and it seems really convenient for that. The library's not very... broad... but if you're a fan of a few specific types of games (mostly the types popular in Japan) then there's some good poo poo. I never played any Disgaea past the first so I'm looking forward to that even if they're not as well regarded.

The store and searching are pretty lovely if you're trying to browse through and find stuff. You can browse a list of every PSTV compatible Vita games but there's no option to dig deeper into genre or company or anything really useful at all. So you have to use the search to look for specific games, and then when you do that you get a list of a hundred loving DLC packs. And there's no way to tell when searching if a game is compatible, you have to try to download it and see if it pops a warning (though at least they're good about those warnings).

All that said I'm probably making it sound worse than it is. If you know what game you want it's not hard to find.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Broke down and ordered a non bundle one, got a 16gb card separately for the price Gamestop wanted for the 8 so that should be helpful. I don't need another DS3 or another goddamn Lego game anyway. I expect to be kinda disappointed with it but it sounds like it does have the potential to be good if they don't utterly bury it forever and fix some kludges. I've bought a bunch of PS1 games before so if nothing else I can play some of those on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't speak for PSTV specifically but I know the NA version of DXC works on Vita but not the EU version (or vice-versa, I forget which is which).

DXC NA works on a regular Vita but does not work on a Playstation TV, it is a game that is explicitly blacklisted. You can download and install it but it won't actually launch.

EDIT I switched my Vita TV back to my Japanese account. The Japanese release of Lumines is still playable, but the NA version has definitively been revoked with a recent firmware update, likely 3.30. I really hope this is a one-off and not a trend that will continue. :ohdear:

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 19, 2014

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Spent a few hours on Soul Sacrifice Delta last night, and I really feel like they did a great thing here. There are so many little tells that bosses have that were hard to see on the handheld, and that's not a problem on a TV. Thanks, Sony!

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Can anyone who has this (NA version) confirm whether it will work with a European power point?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
So, I got the wal-mart exclusive bundle since it game with two games instead of one. Turns out, I already own Sly Cooper. I must have gotten it through ps plus after my vita was stolen and forgotten about it. Anyway, if you want the code send me a pm.

EDIT: Claimed by XboxPants!

Medium Cool fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got to test two more games, one working (Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, physical version worked immediately) and one not (the North American French version of FIFA 14, also physical version because lol I'm not paying $40 for that). This is pretty much everything I can think of, so if there's any discrepancies with my list be sure to let me know. Dracula X Chronicles is going on sale next week, apparently, let's hope they patch it to work by then.

And my North American unit finally shipped today. :toot:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sorry, is this region free for physical games? And is it possible to buy games from other regions' PSN stores by changing accounts or however it is that it typically works on the vita? The op made it sound like that wasn't possible but posts on this page seem to indicate otherwise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

straight jerkers posted:

Sorry, is this region free for physical games? And is it possible to buy games from other regions' PSN stores by changing accounts or however it is that it typically works on the vita? The op made it sound like that wasn't possible but posts on this page seem to indicate otherwise.

Basically everything is the same as a regular Vita, except there's also a whitelist of compatible games and games not on it won't run. This listing is based on product SKU so you can get into situations like only the Japanese version of a game will work, or the Japanese and US versions will but the European one doesn't.

But to more precisely answer your question, as long as the physical card game is on the whitelist, it will run regardless of the region the game is (e.g. my successful Senran Kagura test was a US card tested on my Vita TV bound to a Japanese account).

Also you probably won't be able to sign in with a European account until around the 14th of November.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Using physical games with this thing must be a pain in the rear end, with the tiny tiny cards and the slot all the way on the back surrounded by cable inputs.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Using physical games with this thing must be a pain in the rear end, with the tiny tiny cards and the slot all the way on the back surrounded by cable inputs.

The back slot is for the memory card, you input game cards on the side. Or at least, I think you do, I only buy them digitally.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Basically everything is the same as a regular Vita, except there's also a whitelist of compatible games and games not on it won't run. This listing is based on product SKU so you can get into situations like only the Japanese version of a game will work, or the Japanese and US versions will but the European one doesn't.

But to more precisely answer your question, as long as the physical card game is on the whitelist, it will run regardless of the region the game is (e.g. my successful Senran Kagura test was a US card tested on my Vita TV bound to a Japanese account).

Also you probably won't be able to sign in with a European account until around the 14th of November.

Thanks

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Drastic Actions posted:

The back slot is for the memory card, you input game cards on the side. Or at least, I think you do, I only buy them digitally.
There's no slots or anything on the side, unless that mysterious panel opens in some way that I don't understand. Pushing on it doesn't do anything and I can't get my fingernail in under it or anything.

edit: rubber plug? There is nothing like that on my Japanese one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the slot for physical cards is on the right side and for some reason has a rubber plug covering it like the thing needs to be waterproof or something. It's especially weird since the rear slot for the actual memory card has no such cover and you'd think should have something like that since, in theory, it would be switched way less often.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that thing on the side IS a game card slot. How the hell do I get it open? It won't budge no matter what I do. I feel like I'm going to break my fingernail trying to pry it open.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo, that thing on the side IS a memory card slot. How the hell do I get it open? It won't budge no matter what I do.

It should just pop out without too much trouble, like get a fingernail in there to pry it open.

EDIT drat your stealth edit :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, finally got it open. drat that's weird. It totally looks like one of the pointless panels you have in a car dashboard because some luxury feature that you didn't buy would go there, and I didn't even know Vita game cards were a different format than memory cards, having never owned one.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, so the Vita TV has been out for a week now. To those who have purchased, how have you been finding the PS4 streaming experience? Is it something you find yourself using, or is it too laggy to really enjoy?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Ok, so the Vita TV has been out for a week now. To those who have purchased, how have you been finding the PS4 streaming experience? Is it something you find yourself using, or is it too laggy to really enjoy?
For me it's consistently been more laggy than I feel it should be on a wired LAN (for both PS4 and PSTV), so it's only really useful for doing non-gaming through it I think for me. It's possible there's some configuration issues I need to fix.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

gibbed posted:

For me it's consistently been more laggy than I feel it should be on a wired LAN (for both PS4 and PSTV), so it's only really useful for doing non-gaming through it I think for me. It's possible there's some configuration issues I need to fix.

Is it too laggy even for turn-based stuff to be comfortable, or is it pretty much okay for that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just traded in my Vita (which I haven't used outside of my apartment in literally a year) for a PSTV. So far I'm really enjoying it. Persona 4: Golden looks way better than I expected it to on a big screen.

Question though: Why have they been removing games from the compatibility list? Like, if Lumines works, why take it off? Why have any of them just flat out not work, and not just put a "this game has features that won't work without a touch screen so play at your own risk" messages up?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Just traded in my Vita (which I haven't used outside of my apartment in literally a year) for a PSTV. So far I'm really enjoying it. Persona 4: Golden looks way better than I expected it to on a big screen.

Question though: Why have they been removing games from the compatibility list? Like, if Lumines works, why take it off? Why have any of them just flat out not work, and not just put a "this game has features that won't work without a touch screen so play at your own risk" messages up?

The only reason I can imagine is that they don't want people to buy a game and have it work to begin with, only to find out it doesn't work later. It's a questionable decision but there's some logic to it, I guess.

The thing that makes it seem weird to me, though, is that you can still buy games that aren't compatible if you feel like it. If they don't want you to buy games that you can't play you'd think they would just disable them altogether.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm pretty sure Lumines Electronic Symphony is the only game this has happened with, and the Japanese version of the game still works.

It actually took me a while to figure out how to get the game working because it's a game which only responds to a touch screen press at the beginning (and it's required for menus), and a less patient person would just immediately assume it's broken because you have to gain access to sort-of hidden configuration options to enable the touchscreen emulation if you're using a DS3. I'm guessing Sony made an executive decision of sorts to prevent support calls; hopefully this is the only game it happens with.

For other stuff, I think Sony avoids any and all situations where a game can potentially crash because games crashing is a huge exploit vector (as it tends to disable a lot of protection layers, or put you in a situation where you can "control" the crash in a way which grants you some sort of root access to the system), and pretty much every softmod out there for other systems like PSP, Wii, iPhone etc. relies on this concept in some capacity.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Is it too laggy even for turn-based stuff to be comfortable, or is it pretty much okay for that?
It'd be perfectly fine for turn-based stuff. It's only about a half-a-second to a second delay, which was enough to bug me in Destiny (which was my test case). The PS4 menus also lagged noticeably.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

XboxPants posted:

Mine just arrived tonight. I have a whole wired network to myself in this apartment, so I tried PS4 streaming out with nothing else really running worth noting (no downloads, just connections to IRC and some phone background poo poo). The lag was no problem to deal with on Road Not Taken, but on Destiny and Spelunky it was really noticeable. Every time I tried aiming down the sights in Destiny I had a really hard time getting a bead on anything. I could see dicking around to get chests or something, but anything requiring skill would be miserable. Of course Spelunky was going to be miserable too, but I wanted to try and compare it to the Vita version. At first I thought it would be okay, but then I had a really hard time doing something as simple as landing a jump on a snake.

I was able to play Road Not Taken and The Golf Club without any real trouble, but even then the sound would randomly drop out for an instant here and there and the framerate took a noticeable dump in all games when a lot changed on screen at once. What really struck me as weird is the PSTV doesn't bother to pause downloading while you stream PS4. As you can imagine, the framerate is choppy as hell if you're zooming around in Destiny and downloading a game at the same time. Yet for some retarded reason the network connection was automatically shut off when I played Rainbow Moon, and it felt the need to notify me one by one of every single download that failed as a result.

Honestly probably the best use for PS4 mode is to play video. I played videos on Crackle, VidZone and the Twitch integration while downloading games and they all played pretty smoothly. Of course, Netflix is disabled for remote play. They really don't want you playing any loving Netflix on your PSTV. Turn based games work of course but most of those will either be on the Vita (and probably de-whitelisted) or on the PS3 which doesn't remote in from the PSTV despite the PSP feature and despite being able to use an actual PS3 controller with it. Bah.

Download list in the store naturally shows you all the games you ever bought so it's a pain to scroll through to the few that are actually for the device. And of course you can't easily tell which of those are whitelisted. The store's own game listing also doesn't reflect what you've purchased, so there's no scrolling down the list of compatible games looking for poo poo you already bought. Of course if you do find one you bought at least it doesn't make you buy it again. Oh, and also the 'recommendations' on the right side of each store item include apps and games that are not compatible.

That's enough pissing and moaning for now though, more to come after I dick around with it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gibbed posted:

It'd be perfectly fine for turn-based stuff. It's only about a half-a-second to a second delay, which was enough to bug me in Destiny (which was my test case). The PS4 menus also lagged noticeably.

Games that are really dependent on low input lag- shooters, fighting games, and music games- are poo poo on remote play.

Turn based stuff is perfect for it though.

• Locked thread