Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Toronto circuit looks like a slightly expanded go kart track so I seriously doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What was the greatest battle vettel and schumacher ever had the chance to have during an f1 grand prix?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What was the greatest battle vettel and schumacher ever had the chance to have during an f1 grand prix?

The merc was poo poo so no real battles or crazy passes. Nothing like the battle of Stewart vs. Ward.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

priznat posted:

The Toronto circuit looks like a slightly expanded go kart track so I seriously doubt it.

Yeah I was trying to work my head around and that seems to be the only two venues I could think F1 would have any remote interest in acquiring. I'm not sure Bernie would value Toronto as he already did/does have Montreal. LA? Yeah he's still trying to get a hold of that.

Mexico City probably? But that's about it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I can tell you the worst was Interlagos 2012...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

AgentJotun posted:

I can tell you that Schumacher was fighting like hell for position in that race as shown when he slammed the door closed on Kamui shortly after Vettel passed him.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

It is our pride.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

animeliker posted:

It is our pride.

parade

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I can tell you that Schumacher was fighting like hell for position in that race as shown when he slammed the door closed on Kamui shortly after Vettel passed him.

Schumacher fighting hard for any position is not unusual, even 16th or whatever. Schumacher looking like a 3rd Toro Rosso driver was pretty unusual though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is Rush better during a re-watch?

It makes me really love Bruhl's portrayal of Lauda quite a bit more than when I first saw it in theaters.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

One of these things is not like the others

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is Rush better during a re-watch?

It makes me really love Bruhl's portrayal of Lauda quite a bit more than when I first saw it in theaters.

It's pretty great. Just wish they had the budget to use more than Brands Hatch.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AgentJotun posted:

Schumacher was such a pussy

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, he done fell off.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

subroc posted:

Yeah, he done fell off.

Done fell off a mountain.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, they really need Driven to complete the set.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

George Zimmer posted:

The worst part about that car was that when it worked, it was fantastic. Could easily keep up pace with the McLaren's, but the gearbox was constantly making GBS threads itself. Plus, it was gorgeous:

I was 9 then, it's basically the first F1 car I really knew, it's still "F1 car dot jpeg" in my head.

First time I ever saw F1 cars in person was the near identical 1990 car and Mansell taking pole at Silverstone when I was at Woodcote.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Dudley posted:

I was 9 then, it's basically the first F1 car I really knew, it's still "F1 car dot jpeg" in my head.

First time I ever saw F1 cars in person was the near identical 1990 car and Mansell taking pole at Silverstone when I was at Woodcote.

I'm showing my lack of age... first time I ever saw f1 in the flesh was Albert park 2008 when some new Hamilton bloke went OK

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kilonum posted:

One of those things was not Le Mans http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067334/ the forgotten 1971 classic staring Steve McQueen.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think 1995 was the first F1 season I paid attention to. I had watched some of 1994 (not THAT race) and said I wanted to be a racing driver but my parents basically laughed and said "I don't think so"

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Actually no I lied because I watched the last V10s which was 06. Such an amazing difference in sound

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

1992-1998 was the peak of F1 for me as I grew up. It's slowly becoming less entertaining as I get closer to 30.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Diet Crack posted:

1992-1998 was the peak of F1 for me as I grew up. It's slowly becoming less entertaining as I get closer to 30.

Agreed. The previous 2-3 yrs really had a big impact. No more BBC dream team, too much Vettel and the car changes this year have accelerated the process.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The past 4/5 season have been far more entertaining than the early-mid 00 season where you had ferrari pretty much dominating and no one else in the midfield could pass. The past few years title races have been a real up and down on excitement and while one team seems to end up dominating there usually something going on through the field. Its not perfect but its not the total processions that f1 was for a good 6 to 8 seasons in my time watching.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
I remember F1 being a "thing" for me from when I was around 7 or 8 in 1995: Adelaide's last Grand Prix year. Being that I lived in Adelaide, my primary (elementary) school liked to make the whole weekend an educational event. I remember making (my mum did most of it) a pretty slick silver cardboard F1 car that I got to run around in making NNYYYEEEEEEEOOOWWWW sounds in.

Some of the first races I can vividly remember are from 1996 though, Brundle barrel rolling into the gravel trap in Melbourne driving a Jordan I think it was, an absolutely rain soaked Monaco in which a plucky young Brazilian finished 3rd in a new upstart team run by a former world champion, and also Schumacher vs Villeneuve in Jerez where Schumacher hosed himself out of the championship.

I also remember watching the race in which Panis smashed into a wall and broke his legs, that would have been mid-90s as well in Monaco? Montreal?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fun fact: that Brundle crash in Australia was the first year after they raised the sides of the cockpit

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Jenson Button: Formula 1 star may switch to endurance championship

quote:

Jenson Button is considering a switch to the world endurance championship should he fail to land a competitive Formula 1 seat for next season.

Sources say the McLaren driver has had talks with Porsche, for whom former F1 racer Mark Webber drives.

This is the best bit:

quote:

It is conceivable that Button, the 2009 world champion, may end up taking the matter out of McLaren's hands.

Button could find himself in a position where he has a strong offer on the table from Porsche or another team and has to demand an answer from McLaren.

I would laugh so hard if this happened and Alonso decided to take a sabbatical, leaving Mclaren to pick through what's left of the drivers market.. wishful thinking :)

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I remember watching my first race in 2014, I get very nostalgic when people talk about tyre compounds, energy recovery systems, drag reduction systems and double point grand finals.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

enri posted:

I would laugh so hard if this happened and Alonso decided to take a sabbatical, leaving Mclaren to pick through what's left of the drivers market.. wishful thinking :)
Kamui to McLaren-Honda! :toot:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

enri posted:

Jenson Button: Formula 1 star may switch to endurance championship

This is the best bit:

I'm genuinely surprised he's talking to Porsche. Nissan or Toyota seemed more likely with all his connections to Japan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In shocking news, Mercedes are against lifting the engine development freeze for next season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gret posted:

It's pretty great. Just wish they had the budget to use more than Brands Hatch.

I don't really mind because Brands Hatch is one of my favorite tracks.

learnincurve posted:

One of those things was not Le Mans http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067334/ the forgotten 1971 classic staring Steve McQueen.

I love this movie. Especially because it was filmed during the actual 24 Hours of Le Mans. One of the camera cars came in 9th place. It was spoiled only because of the giant cameras on it and the fact it had to stop a lot to change film reels.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xisticide posted:

Nissan or Toyota seemed more likely with all his connections to Japan.

He is associated with Honda.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The 640/641 is my favorite F1 car ever. 1989, despite the McLaren walkover, is maybe my favorite season ever.

I don't think the '89 season had 1 ugly car. They all looked good. That Honda V10 was a monster of an engine too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the '97 grid personally, it was when they finally got the look of the high-nose cars right. Don't think I've really liked a grid since the '98 rule changes. I've always thought the proportions of the '98-'03 cars were extremely ungainly and clumsy looking. I do kind of like the mid-late-00s aero monsters, though. The current regs look wrong.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some test cars are cool;

Others not so much :barf:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I love the '97 grid personally, it was when they finally got the look of the high-nose cars right. Don't think I've really liked a grid since the '98 rule changes. I've always thought the proportions of the '98-'03 cars were extremely ungainly and clumsy looking. I do kind of like the mid-late-00s aero monsters, though. The current regs look wrong.

Aside from the Tyrrell the high-nose cars were really ugly bulbous things from 1991-1996. The Benettons looked particularly bad, but maybe it was that horrid Green/Puke Yellow paint scheme.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kilonum posted:

btw this is my entire BluRay collection.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

animeliker posted:

He is associated with Honda.

Yeah but so was Ant and he's on the verge of winning the title for Toyota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Xisticide posted:

I'm genuinely surprised he's talking to Porsche. Nissan or Toyota seemed more likely with all his connections to Japan.

Everyone talks to Porsche. Hell, maybe we'll get a Button/Webber nice-if-rather-ineffective dream team.

e: although looking at it, Ah Mahk has finished 3rd, 12th, NC, 5th, 3rd. Not sure how many cars that's out of. Not earth-shattering but not bad, at first glance.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread