Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So is Katy Perry really doing the Super Bowl halftime show? I'm disappointed, I was hoping for Rihanna.

Rihanna was your second choice after Weird Al, you mean. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

New Marina and The Diamonds song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI_0HIz_4JY

Not my favorite because I preferred Electra Heart, but it's good too and I think it signals that Marina's returning to her weird and quirky pop like her first album.

I wasn't sure about this initially but it's really grown on me. Does anyone know when the album comes out? I got tired of Electra Heart after a while and stopped following her, but my curiosity has been piqued again.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLTe8h0-jo

Not gonna lie, I'd love to hear Sam Smith perform this solo.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLTe8h0-jo

Not gonna lie, I'd love to hear Sam Smith perform this solo.

Top drawer contribution from Jake Bugg there

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Jake Bugg is poo poo and I hate that video

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Jake Bugg is poo poo indeed.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

the truth posted:

Right now I'm 0/3 in liking stuff from LDR's Ultraviolence. It's all just dulcet moans just barely above sing-talk that goes nowhere lyrically, musically (Shades of Cool isn't guilty of this), or emotionally. What a disappointment.

Ultraviolence is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's amazingly consistent and a huge leap in quality over Born To Die (Which I was obsessed with, but I skipped half the songs when I listened to it).

I think people take what she says a little too seriously. Sometimes she's dead serious, sometimes she's joking and I love her bizarre sense of humor.

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

juniperjones posted:

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

Sure.

I mean come on. That's PR bullshit. It's exactly the kind of story they love to place in the media to show how unbelievably CREDIBLE an artist is. The thing about pop music I like is that there's usually no pretense about the fact that it's a studio product. And this is the opposite of that. I can't roll my eyes far enough.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

juniperjones posted:

Jessie J. Lea Michele. Mariah. Celine. Barbra.

LDR has good tone, but her range is limited and her voice is weak. Neither have stopped her from putting out a couple of good songs, though.

the truth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 13, 2014

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

Sure.

I mean come on. That's PR bullshit. It's exactly the kind of story they love to place in the media to show how unbelievably CREDIBLE an artist is. The thing about pop music I like is that there's usually no pretense about the fact that it's a studio product. And this is the opposite of that. I can't roll my eyes far enough.

I don't think it's pretentious to record something live. I really admire it. Even if the physical act itself isn't impressive, it impresses me that she would do it, since it's so against the grain of modern pop music. Also, it gives the music a rawer vibe, which is really appealing to me.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

Jessie J. Lea Michele. Mariah. Celine. Barbra.

LDR has good tone, but her range is limited and her voice is weak. Neither have stopped her from putting out a couple of good songs, though.

I really wish Jessie J's songs were better, she has such a good voice. But 90% of her songs sound like Demi Lovato rejects.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I kinda like Randy Marsh's Sia's Lorde's new song.

edit: Fixed link

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 15, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of Jessie J, her new album just came out. I'm 2/3 through my first listen and it has a different sound compared to her earlier stuff. She is more restrained.

edit: just hit the bonus tracks, which she wrote, and it sounds like Jessie J.

edit2: holy poo poo, the last song is called "You Don't Really Know Me," and she says a bunch that she's not really being herself. Maybe reading between the lines too much, but this seems to me like a completely un-subtle nod to the fact that she is doing what ever the record label wants because last time she did things her way, her album wasn't released in America. This album doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't always sound like Jessie J and is frequently quite repetitive lyrically. The first bonus track, "You Loss I'm Found," is more in line with the sound I was expecting.

Her voice is still incredible. Inimitable.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 14, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think Jessie J suffers from singing "big" just because she can, not because it makes a good song and it comes off as too much and way too screechy. She's obviously got pipes but man Bang Bang is awful and Burning Up is almost unbearable.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Doing a first listen when you are exhausted is not a good idea. Sweet Talker is great.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Has anyone heard the new Taylor Swift single?

It's mighty different but I think I really like it.

This is the only place I could find an audio copy of it for streaming.
Here it is

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Has anyone heard the new Taylor Swift single?

It's mighty different but I think I really like it.

This is the only place I could find an audio copy of it for streaming.
Here it is

This is very nice. As a straight 25-year old man I am way too excited for 1989 I don't give a gently caress.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

This is very nice. As a straight 25-year old man I am way too excited for 1989 I don't give a gently caress.

:hfive:
Me too!
24yrold but whatever, it's going to be the second album I buy in years. The first being George Ezra's debut. (which everyone should own, by the way)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's supposed to come if you pre order the album, but I can't get iTunes to download it :-(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

It's supposed to come if you pre order the album, but I can't get iTunes to download it :-(

Click on Shake It Off and then click on 'show rest of album' or something.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, wherever I look its just not available to download. I went to the second page of google and none of the solutions worked.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really like that, drat. I don't have itunes, how long does it usually take for new stuff to migrate from Itunes to Spotify?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
gently caress. This Taylor Swift song is good. It reminds me of Tegan & Sara- Heartthrob.

I can never admit this to my little sister. Or anyone. Ever.

e: I don't know what the thread consensus is on Chvrches, but they debuted a new song live recently and it sounds great. More of the same if you're already into their sound, doubt it will win you over if you're not. Can't wait for the official release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWJV9Kz7Bs8

nomapple fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2014

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Holy poo poo.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

nomapple posted:

e: I don't know what the thread consensus is on Chvrches, but they debuted a new song live recently and it sounds great. More of the same if you're already into their sound, doubt it will win you over if you're not. Can't wait for the official release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWJV9Kz7Bs8

All I know for sure is that Lauren Mayberry is adorable as gently caress on top of being a joy to listen to.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Do you guys have any idea why googling for album sales yields like 10 different numbers?

I'm having an argument with someone over best selling artists and we can't find consistency in any sources, they all disagree (we're arguing whether Nickelback or John Denver has sold more records globally). Is it the RIAA hiding sales to screw over artists or something? Sorry if this doesnt belong here I couldnt find a general billboard thread

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Do you guys have any idea why googling for album sales yields like 10 different numbers?

I'm having an argument with someone over best selling artists and we can't find consistency in any sources, they all disagree (we're arguing whether Nickelback or John Denver has sold more records globally). Is it the RIAA hiding sales to screw over artists or something? Sorry if this doesnt belong here I couldnt find a general billboard thread

Record labels like to inflate and manipulate sales numbers to claim all those coveted 'best-selling … of the …' and stuff like that. Certified sales numbers are also not released that often (usually around some milestones) so different sites have different numbers added up. The certification bodies have also changed their criteria a bunch of times (like when a double album was marked as two sales) which introduce other problems.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, apparently he hit her back with a countersuit, but I hope he gets his rear end handed to him. Dr. Luke is a fucker.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If there was sexual abuse and forced drugging, why is this a civil suit and not a criminal one? Jesus, if even half this stuff is true, this fucker ought to be in prison. :stare:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

If there was sexual abuse and forced drugging, why is this a civil suit and not a criminal one? Jesus, if even half this stuff is true, this fucker ought to be in prison. :stare:

It might be past the statute of limitations? I don't know how law works. Poor Kesha, the girl has been through some poo poo :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Looking forward to her third album, that's for sure. There is a lot of talent buried under the autotune and fake personality.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

Looking forward to her third album, that's for sure. There is a lot of talent buried under the autotune and fake personality.

Her unreleased stuff is great. I recommend Bootycall, I Hate You (Don't Leave Me), and Sunday Morning.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

the truth posted:

Yea, I have the same feeling, I know she can pump out some good stuff that I'll love given the chance.
Fingers crossed it all goes well for her.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is it bad that I really like this new Ellie Goulding and Calvin Harris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEYCUJuh-g

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

keevo posted:

Is it bad that I really like this new Ellie Goulding and Calvin Harris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEYCUJuh-g
This sounds like every other Calvin Harris-produced pop song. It's not terrible, this one just isn't particularly interesting either after hearing so many of his other tracks.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

More Taylor Swift came at midnight last night. It's here: http://www.stereogum.com/1712817/taylor-swift-welcome-to-new-york/mp3s/

I think it's my favourite of the three so far. I wasn't overly hopeful when Shake It Off first turned up, but now I'm really way more excited than I should be.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

More Taylor Swift came at midnight last night. It's here: http://www.stereogum.com/1712817/taylor-swift-welcome-to-new-york/mp3s/

I think it's my favourite of the three so far. I wasn't overly hopeful when Shake It Off first turned up, but now I'm really way more excited than I should be.

On first listen I'd say it's my least favourite of the three. It's also nowhere near the album opener 'State of Grace' was (although it might be a perfect fit when we hear the rest of it who knows).

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This sounds like every other Calvin Harris-produced pop song. It's not terrible, this one just isn't particularly interesting either after hearing so many of his other tracks.

It's a real shame. His first two albums were actually pretty varied and not bad at all. It was only after 'We Found Love' blew up and everyone was asking for a 'the next We Found Love' his stuff fell into a rut.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oh my God my original queen before Lady Gaga has released a new music video and I'm loving loving it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uo9oy-Eqo4

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Gwen Stefani is an ageless wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gwen Stefani is an ageless wizard

In my opinion, she still has one of the world's best pop songs ever. It's just so timeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZ7MNtBFU