Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Eat some steel cut oats raw and then I'll be impressed.

I've done this. With a bit of salt it's really not half bad. But then I used to eat literal horse food as a mid-morning snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

oats: a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

Perhaps this is why England is known for it's horses, and Scotland for it's men.

:scotland:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I liked this podcast about the OED by Simon Winchester which mentions that quote.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's from Samuel Johnson's dictionary. One of his schticks was ripping on Scots whenever he could.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

That's from Samuel Johnson's dictionary. One of his schticks was ripping on Scots whenever he could.

Indeed. Boswell's Life Of Samuel Johnson is a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

maple sugar and a pat of cultured butter

Vermont Creamery makes a cultured butter with Vermont maple syrup incorporated that is perfect for this. The butter is so good it even makes up for using inferior non-Canadian maple.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Vermont Creamery makes a cultured butter with Vermont maple syrup incorporated that is perfect for this. The butter is so good it even makes up for using inferior non-Canadian maple.

Good god, I want some of that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DekeThornton posted:

Oatmeal should be eaten with lingonberry jam and milk, you goddamned philistines.

Tyttebær (I refuse to grant the Swedes a single linguistic victory) are far too tart for oatmeal, and the only way to hide how badly they clash is an unreasonable amount of sugar. Strawberry is the way to go.

And I grew up eating steamed/rolled oats in cold milk with sugar for breakfast - hot breakfasts are for foreigners and lumberjacks :colbert:

More seriously, I haven't tried steelcut - I guess I should buy a bag and test. Wonder how hard it is to find them gluten free here? (Which in the case of oats means "grown safely away from wheat and milled in a dedicated facility").

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bartolimu posted:

:colbert: my syrup is far better than any of the Canadian stuff I've had.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Computer viking posted:

hot breakfasts are for foreigners and lumberjacks :colbert:

Lumberjacks are manly and swole. Eat hot breakfast.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Cut out the middleman; eat a lumberjack.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Cut out the middleman; eat a lumberjack.

You rang?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Computer viking posted:

Tyttebær (I refuse to grant the Swedes a single linguistic victory)

:golfclap:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Tyttebær (I refuse to grant the Swedes a single linguistic victory) are far too tart for oatmeal, and the only way to hide how badly they clash is an unreasonable amount of sugar. Strawberry is the way to go.

You're completely right which is why lingon goes so well with meat and poultry. :colbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Jesus titty-loving Christ.

Process consultants are like HR people on steroids - bigger, stronger, dumber with fits of roid-rage.

KPI governed motherfuckers, hunting blindly for that same loving nugget, and pavlovianly salivating every loving time they see an improvement while the ever loving gently caress is being rodgered out of the business right loving on the surface of their goddamn desks.

When the revolution comes the order now is:
1. HR
2. IT Process people
3. Process Consultants
..against the wall!

Your pal

happy hat

Wow... I guess we'll just have to be mortal enemies, then.

Me, I hate the lazy slobs who like doing things the old, slow way, instead of helping to fix things. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't mind having a few of those folks around, because it makes for easier decisions when it's time submit the plan for organizational redesign.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow... I guess we'll just have to be mortal enemies, then.

Me, I hate the lazy slobs who like doing things the old, slow way, instead of helping to fix things. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't mind having a few of those folks around, because it makes for easier decisions when it's time submit the plan for organizational redesign.

Those people I dislike too - when I am talking process consultants I am tking about people with absolutely no understanding of the workings of the company (let's bring the NWC down and simultaneously raise production series, while taking seasonality out of the work force usage, impossible at best) - then they split it into 3 different targets, and hunts the targets individually - meaning that they goddamn end up in optimizing warehouses by centralizing a warehouse in Greece to service Turkey.

Servicing Turkey from Greece may seem like a good goddamn idea, it will most certainly drive stock down, but it is also impossible to move stock across the border in less than 21 days - driving product failure up.

Ohh... But the shiny warehouse looks soooo good...

Congratulations process consultant - you succeeded in killing off more than 100m worth of business by saving less than 2m.

Only as a hypothetical off course..

I am sure that they have families who love them and poo poo..

I am also sure that my kids will not be allowed to play with their kids.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
paging @dino

jesus loving christ, I bought a fresh thing of compounded asafetida a few days ago, and my entire spice cabinet - nay, kitchen goddamn REEKS of bitter decaying lovely garlic, or whatever you'd call the smell of asafetida. I've double freezer bagged it, and a few days later the same thing - I just put a 3rd bag on it, but goddamn this poo poo is worse than the worst belacan I've cracked open.

how do you usually store this stuff? any tips for keeping everything in my spice cabinet from smelling like it? I like the aroma in cooked pungent mustard-oil type dishes, but this is driving me insane as it is.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Natto beat me, I admit it. I can't handle Soju, though I gamely try when it's dancing-bear time. I managed to choke down those Korean sausage-esque filled intestine things ONCE while in dancing-bear mode, but I don't think I could manage it again. I almost spat it out the first time, convinced they were simply uncleaned intestine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

paging @dino

jesus loving christ, I bought a fresh thing of compounded asafetida a few days ago, and my entire spice cabinet - nay, kitchen goddamn REEKS of bitter decaying lovely garlic, or whatever you'd call the smell of asafetida. I've double freezer bagged it, and a few days later the same thing - I just put a 3rd bag on it, but goddamn this poo poo is worse than the worst belacan I've cracked open.

how do you usually store this stuff? any tips for keeping everything in my spice cabinet from smelling like it? I like the aroma in cooked pungent mustard-oil type dishes, but this is driving me insane as it is.

Mason jar should be 100% airtight and impermeable, which I can't say about any ziploc freezer bags

Put the plastic jar inside the mason jar, you don't want the asafoetida exposed to light either

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Xoidanor posted:

You're completely right which is why lingon goes so well with meat and poultry. :colbert:

This on the other hand is very true. They're also good mixed about 50/50 with sour cream (and a bit of sugar), which goes nicely pink and works well with heavy Christmas food.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Servicing Turkey from Greece may seem like a good goddamn idea, it will most certainly drive stock down, but it is also impossible to move stock across the border in less than 21 days - driving product failure up.

Hmmm, we may be having some language issues, that sounds a lot more to me like Distribution Management then Business Process. Besides, I work for banks and insurance companies, so there is ALWAYS tons of low hanging fruit for me to pluck.

Steve Yun posted:

Mason jar should be 100% airtight and impermeable, which I can't say about any ziploc freezer bags

Put the plastic jar inside the mason jar, you don't want the asafoetida exposed to light either

My asafoetida lives in "spice jail": the plastic bottle goes in a freezer bag, then into a glass mason jar, then into another freezer bag, and onto a shelf in my basement with no other food nearby.

After all that, my basement still smells faintly of asafotida. Which I don't mind, it's more pleasant then "basement musk".

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Approximately how much better does this asafoetida taste in comparison to it's truly unholy smell? I've smelled it and immediately decided that: A) the first person who put that spice in their mouth was more adventurous or hungry than I'll ever be, and B) my fiance would leave me if I ever tried to keep that stuff at the house. It must taste of fairy farts and magic to be worth all the hassle of even having it around.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have mine in a glass jar with a screw-on plastic lid in the cabinet with a bunch of other things and I've never had any problems with the smell. And yes, the flavor is still fine.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm late for oat chat, but I must ask: am I weird for liking my oats with salt, pepper, and butter? The only sweet food I like for breakfast is doughnuts.

e: and sugar-glazed bread substitute convenience store honey buns, thanks Grandad for insisting I inherit that particular part of his generally horrible taste in food.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

I can't handle Soju, though I gamely try when it's dancing-bear time.

Oh man, I love soju. I'm just glad it's kinda hard to find where I am. Otherwise I'd get pants-missing drunk constantly off the stuff.

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm late for oat chat, but I must ask: am I weird for liking my oats with salt, pepper, and butter? The only sweet food I like for breakfast is doughnuts.

e: and sugar-glazed bread substitute convenience store honey buns, thanks Grandad for insisting I inherit that particular part of his generally horrible taste in food.

Savory oats ain't bad, either.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Best savory oats: tamari, thinly sliced scallion, furikake, bit of chile flakes.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
A lot of the oat breakfast preparations everyone has been describing sounds like things I do to my barley breakfasts. I should try making oats instead of barley on occasion.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

A lot of the oat breakfast preparations everyone has been describing sounds like things I do to my barley breakfasts. I should try making oats instead of barley on occasion.

Barley breakfasts?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beer or whisk(e)y?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Barley breakfasts?

I boil pearl barley. Then, I usually added honey, cinnamon, and a splash of milk. It's pretty good.

The barley, before adding anything, refrigerates well, so I can microwave it and throw this together in the morning before I leave for work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

I boil pearl barley. Then, I usually added honey, cinnamon, and a splash of milk. It's pretty good.

The barley, before adding anything, refrigerates well, so I can microwave it and throw this together in the morning before I leave for work.

Hmmm. Intriguing. I eat oats sweetened but as it's neutral the idea of it as a savoury doesn't seem odd; barley had always been a savoury to me but could equally be sweetened. Maybe I will... Any thoughts about slow-cooking it overnight.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Hmmm. Intriguing. I eat oats sweetened but as it's neutral the idea of it as a savoury doesn't seem odd; barley had always been a savoury to me but could equally be sweetened. Maybe I will... Any thoughts about slow-cooking it overnight.

I never thought to slow cook it, but that sounds like a good idea. I'm still a newb at slow cooking. I usually spend an hour boiling a bag of it on Sunday morning.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just roasted a jack o lantern pumpkin. It is disgusting.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

My asafoetida lives in "spice jail": the plastic bottle goes in a freezer bag, then into a glass mason jar, then into another freezer bag, and onto a shelf in my basement with no other food nearby.

After all that, my basement still smells faintly of asafotida. Which I don't mind, it's more pleasant then "basement musk".

yeah I don't know why I didn't think mason jar earlier, considering that's how I store druqas. I moved it earlier today without any fancy double bags or anything, and I think it's working ok - I'm convinced I can still smell it, but it may just be my spice cabinet still recovering.

I mean goddamn. my girl's old asafotida must have been really old, because I used it for years without any problems like this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"MY GIRLFRIENDS OLD ASAFETIDA"

I used it. :smug:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Cooks up like risotto rice - I have tried it overnight, and it got too mushy for my taste.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I do not understand the obsession with hot sauces, aren't they just condiments? Like ketchup, HP sauce, A1, ranch and diverse bbq sauces?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Cooks up like risotto rice - I have tried it overnight, and it got too mushy for my taste.

Thanks. Mushy might work for porridge though. Worth a shot.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Happy Hat posted:

I do not understand the obsession with hot sauces, aren't they just condiments? Like ketchup, HP sauce, A1, ranch and diverse bbq sauces?

Neither do I, but I imagine it's related to how they can totally transform a dish by adding both a subtle taste and a much less subtle burn. If you like using something with that much ... power, I guess it makes sense to obsess over getting a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Happy Hat posted:

This was what I was afraid of, too. I like how barley gets the same texture as sticky rice. I didn't know if oats are mushy and if that was the point of slow cooking the barley.