Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Oh. Well yeah, then. What do you want, I came in halfway through," she says with a distinct shrug. "Parts are nice. Finger lakes. Lake Placid. They even still have the bobsled run. That's awesome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Came in from where?" Konnie asks, as Meg has managed to disappear for a bit there. "I bet your holiday house on the lake is super nice, but for normal people it sucks."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg just glares at Konnie. "You are getting bitchier, you know that?" she says, and humphs, stalking off to go both somebody else. Probably Eliza or Sherry, depending who's in her path.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"'cuz you know all about being a bitch, don'tcha?" Konnie mutters as Meg huffs off.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Okay," Lyra says, "But who's Sisay?"

Then, to Meg, "We were just going to get hosed up on the Roof once everyone leaves. Drink everything left over from this whole thing. You're welcome to join us. Or we can go to a dive bar... if that's what you want to do... " Lyra's tone makes it clear she's more into the existing rooftop idea.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Sisay's one of the spirit cops who'll help you out if you wanna do that New York consultation thing. Easy going guy, loves to help with this stuff." Konnie explains, adding 'NY consult' underneath Sisay's name. "Don't listen to Meg, she's just always like that. Roof sounds awesome."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Eliza hmms gently and reaches into her satchel, fishing around until she finds the object of her search.

A playful smile slides across her face as she reveals it to be a shiny black button, ready to be sewn on to any outfit in need of repair, "I' don't know much about the importance of good taste," She starts to roll the button and juggle it along her knuckles, palm, wrist, and fingers like a street magician, "In my experience, energy is everything. It's why I moved up here. It's why I taught myself how to play music. I know it sounds ridiculously idealistic, but it was the greatest, purest form of expression I'd ever met. Words are words, and they're extremely important and useful, but music gets underneath all the lyrics and speech to the very vibe, the -energy- of the emotion or expression you're trying to convey," if Luna has a discerning eye and keeps watch on the button, she might notice that it rolls faster and even a bit more perfectly across Eliza's fingers than even a sleight of hand master should manage. At several points, it seems to defy gravity, "It's so very primal and elemental, but it's so complex and intricate at the same time. It takes real practice, skill, endurance, and attention to detail to keep up the momentum so the energy of the music flows up to its conclusion." At the finale of the statement, a flick of Eliza's wrist sends the button flipping a couple of inches into the air. It hangs there, spinning in space for about half a second longer than it should, like a cartoon coin waiting for gravity to kick in, before falling toward Eliza's palm.

She winks at Luna with a magician's smile, "I fell in love with it instantly."

Then, Eliza glances over at the gathering of the others, "Ut oh, looks like our friends have all met."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg ohs and huhs. "Rooves are good," she says. Konnie, at least, probably knows this is due to Meg's tendency to toss bottles at passing hipsters. That's probably not a risk in Philly.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The gallery has emptied out a bit since the band arrived, and continues to do so. "Sure," Paul says, "But I don't think you have to worry, Philly has a pretty high tolerance for anything you can throw at it."

~

Luna is transfixed by the coin, after it drops, she says, "I don't think it's idealistic if you made it happen. I always think of idealistic as being something you don't accomplish. And I think that's a good thing, otherwise they'd be standing around all bored while we had fun." Luna says with a smile before turning to the bar, "Bea, can we sneak by?" Luna asks the bartender.

"Sure."

Luna leads Eliza up a staircase obscured from the gallery itself and to the roof. It's gone from dusk to dark, and the temperature has dropped slightly, but not enough to be uncomfortable. "The after party to the after party."

~

Lyra pockets the card and looks amused at the banter going on between Konnie, Meg, and Jules, "So let's go..." Lyra says, nodding towards the bar, where Luna is leading Eliza past the table. "and follow them."

"Paul" Lyra calls out, then points upwards. He nods. As Paul makes his way up past the bar, he casually (but not effortlessly) grabs one of the ice buckets full of beer and wine and lugs it up the stairs with them to the roof.

xian fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Oh! Try not to lose it, it's a super important number." Konnie makes pains to tell Lyra. "Pretty sure I'll get in poo poo if you do." But talk of the roof party, no doubt filled with drinking, puts her mind at ease! "After you, Flipper." Konnie makes sure Lyra leads the way, as it was the only way to make sure she actually went up and had fun. She still seemed like a bit of a Debbie Downer!

Passing by the bar, Kon stops and backs up. "Hey." She says to her friend the temping bargirl. "You coming up? If anyone deserves to get ratshit it's you."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The bartender lights up when Konnie invites her, "Sure! Once this ends and people clear out a bit more..."

"I won't," Lyra says, "Don't worry." She takes a picture of both sides of the card with her phone.

The roof is jarringly quiet compared to the music and conversational din below them. You can barely hear the sounds from the street stories blow. The tallest buildings of the Philadelphia skyline are visible beyond the rows of walk-up apartment buildings, and from where you're standing, you can see into more than one apartment that has its lights turned on.

"Better up here," Lyra confirms, walking to the edge of the roof and leaning up against one of the guard railings.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Dude, they're all just lookie-loos." Konnie points out, one foot on the stairs. "All the big deals are totally done. Just stick a 'bar closed' sign on the counter and come on up." Being the consummate business professional she was, there was obviously nothing wrong with Konnie's plan at all. "Jules! Meg! Stop pouting and get on up here!" She then calls to her friends, before ascending to the roof.

Lyra gets a thumbs up for taking photos of the card. That was smart. Really, why did they have cards? Konnie could just text somebody the number and have it be just as good, but with 0 chance for it to get lost. Digital age of smart phones and all that crap. Maybe the Sheriffs were just stuck in the dinosaur age. First thing Konnie was going to do when she got back? Get them to set up e-mail accounts.

As Paul had gone through the trouble of swiping the bucket of beer, it would be rude to not take one. So Kon does on the way through. "Eh." Konnie shrugs back to Lyra, taking a swig of her beer. "Better for checking out how many people are naked in their apartments, maybe." She points out just one of many windows one could peep into, if they were so inclined.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg grabs three beers in each hand as she heads for the stairs, entirely expecting Jules to follow her. "C'mon, Sher!" she calls. "Eliza! Wherever you are!" she adds.

She makes a face as she learns her beer-retrieval went for naught. Still, plenty of beers! Meg puts them all down near the bucket. "What up, Dolphin girl?" she asks of Lyra. "Delphine. Good name," she says with a serious nod, taking a pull of her beer. "Kon telling you /all/ her secrets?"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Eliza squeezes Luna's hand, leaning down the stairs to call out at Meg, "We're already up here! We outran you, Sonic!"

The imp does have a tendency to call her pink-haired compatriot 'Sonic the Meghog' when getting something done faster than her.

Up on the roof with Luna, she rolls her shoulder and somehow manages to grin even wider. She's really good at grinning, "This is great!" She breathes deep. What with her affinity for fire, Eliza generally maintains a higher core temperature than most, so the cooler air is refreshing rather than a chill, "I love the view," she whirls to look at her lovely new friend and asks, "Is this how all art gallery openings end?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"All my secrets?" Konnie repeats, not aware she had enough secrets for them to be worth calling 'all'. Seriously, outside of the Wodnik stuff there's like… two? Maybe? Do piercings count as secrets? "Ooh!" Konnie quickly turns Megways. "Like how you had a crush on my brother for like, three years before you found out he was gay?" She smirks.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Once again, you're right." the Bartender says to Konnie. "I'll be up in a second."

"It's how the good ones end." Luna says, squeezing Eliza's hand back.

"Naked and/or on top of each other." Lyra says to Konnie, "Don't see any performance art going on up in the windows."

After a moment or two the bartender joins them up on the roof. When she does, she finds Konnie and Lyra, "Hey, I'm Beatrice. Everyone calls me B.."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Bad me, I'm sorry. I've been suffering the lousy kind of RL distractions since the end of last month.

Sherry

"Oh yeah, Philly's a big girl. I just worry about ongoing impressions. Musicians, you know." Sherry turns her hands up and flashes a smile.

The after-party seems to be turning into an after-after-party, and the attempt to disengage that Sherry inwardly tags as awkward seems to have been unnecessary. The others are going upstairs, and so too seems Paul.

Sherry follows upstairs to the roof, where the more muted lights and open skies make the glitter of her dress a rival to the few stars visible from downtown. She moves over to one of the railings, content to breathe deep of the city noise and 'fresh' air for a few moments.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie was always right. It wasn't something she liked to advertise, given how naturally humble the rockstar was, but she couldn't argue against it. It was just something special she had about her. Even before being annoyed to high hell by both normal and magick frogs, she had a tendency to be right about stuff. Now it was just magnified tenfold. Konnie and being right was like vodka and tomato juice, they were just always found together. Without exception.

"So that's why you two come up here, huh?" Kon smiles, giving Lyra a bit of a ribbing before sinking back the rest of her beer. "…yeah, you're right. There's nothing going on." She confirms, giving a quick glance to the open and lit windows. "Everybody must be sitting in watching Duck Dynasty or something." She shrugs. "Ah well, we can make our own fun." Kon smiles.

And then smiles even more as her new friends finally pops her head up. "B!" Konnie exclaims as if Norm had just walked into Cheers. She scoots over and scoops up a beer for her, surreptitiously giving the bottle a nice blast of the freezy stuff before holding it out to the erstwhile bartender. "I'm Konnie. I bet you'll feel better being on the drinking side of the bar. Here." She advises, and if anybody knew about this particular subject it was Kon. "So, you know Flipper?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Look I thought he was just Metro, that was a thing then!" Meg insists, "And who set him up with his boy, huh?" she asks, and hooks a thumb at herself, letting that be the answer.

"Sher!" Meg says with a smile, and shoves a beer in her hand.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Sherry, beered!

"Meg! Thanks!" She grins and lifts the bottle in a toast, then puts some effort into getting the top twisted off.

"I heard you downstairs. You didn't do anything I'll need to run interference for, did you?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg snorts and rolls her eyes, to a comically exaggerated extent. "Only if people love douchebags and hate awesome," she says. She gulps at her beer, "and dismantling cars," she adds past the bottle, glancing about. Yeah, no way people can pin that on her. "Who was that dude? You two were grooving," she says, moving her arms next to each other in syncopated waves.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 24, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Dismantling whats? Sherry takes a quick drink, in hopes of chasing away the memory of having heard that.

"Hm? Oh, that's Paul. He's over there. One of the artists with pieces downstairs."

Grooving? Sherry rolls her eyes, but keeps from scoffing aloud. It's quiet up here, no need to risk hurting the guy's feelings.

"He's a nice guy. We talked about art, mostly. Him, a little upset someone actually bought the supermodel gas. Me, saying I don't know much about art, but thinking different people got different things out of it. You know."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

…takes a drink!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"No, no..." Lyra laughs, "I come up here because it's nice. No people. Don't have to worry about, you know. But I usually have access at night."

"What kind of fun did you have in mind? You guys have a way better handle on all this than we do."

"Flipper?" B asks when she walks over, taking the drink, "You mean Lyra? Yeah. You know, same circles type of thing. I know her and Luna through Paul."

~~

Whether Paul gets Sherry's hint or he's just decided to float around, she doesn't know, but he floats over to Eliza and Luna, beers in hand for anyone who might need one.

"How much did you get for the three of them?" He asks Luna.

"Enough. Does it matter. The point was to sell something ludicrous, wasn't it?"

~~

I didn't have anything major planned for this night, but if you want to continue it with some kind of hook, I'll roll with it. Otherwise, would a FFWD be amenable to everyone?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Yeah, not having to worry about it is good." Konnie nods, resting her arms on the edge and leaning over the rails a little. "Just time to kick back, chill out, and stop giving a poo poo about all of it. Even Perky Bubbles has to enjoy that."

"Oh, I'm the expert? Well." As was the case whenever Konnie was given charge of anything, a somehow sinister grin marches across her face. "In my expert opinion, no real fun can start until there's some people around. Fun starts with good company." A wild gesture more or less points to the others on the roof. "And we got that in spades. So next, we need to get some drinks and get smashed." She klinks her bottle with a smile. "And we're working on that part."

"Yeah, B. Flipper." Konnie says like everybody knew it, taking a big swig of her drink. "Since she drinks like a fish," She thumbs at Lyra. "And it's our job to try and keep up."

FFWD agogo

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"People bring their own preconceptions," Meg says to Sherry with a nod. "Hey, awesome starts with good company," Meg calls to Konnie, across the group. "Are you guys groupies now?" she asks. "'Cause I don't want to get into Baltimore without groupies otherwise I might get totally Game of Thronesed."

Good with an FFWD

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Fine with it. Work's had me a bit inundated and I've been forgetting to post!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The night tapers off gracefully. Everyone gets a little bit more drunk, a little bit tired. At some point, deep into the night, goodbyes are said and contact info is exchanged. The band makes it back to wherever Sherry had booked them to crash that night. Motel 6's were a last resort, that was 40$ a night that they might not need to spend.

It was a good night, and a great way to start their first tour. And after all the expenses, each member of the band (including Sherry) was a few hundred bucks richer.

~~

The next morning, everyone is a bit sluggish and they get started late. Even Meg, though she's still orders of magnitude faster than the rest of humanity. It takes them longer than they would like to figure out breakfast and get the show on the road.

The gig that night is a show at a concert series at Fitzgerald College, a liberal arts school of about 4000 students in a suburb of Pittsburgh. The drive from from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh is about five hours. The gas light makes itself visible on the dash of the Frogger when they're two hours and change from the college town outside the city. At their present rate, the band won't have much time between when they arrived and when they are scheduled to take the stage.

Feel free to write a bit about the morning or the road trip so far.

xian fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 2, 2014

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie drunk a bit more, but she didn't actually get much in the way of drunk. Between her constitution and mostly being made of water now, she was never going to get proper drunk off of beer and a little vodka. Now, that was all fine and she had a good time up on the roof with everybody; but leaving the fun and ending up at some lovely motel room she had to share with Eliza to save on money was totally not the way to end the night that Konnie was expecting nor hoping for. A one bed room, so Konnie had to sleep in the drat tub. It was a bunch of bullshit, basically.

And then to top off the bunch of bullshit, she woken up at god drat 10am the next morning to get ready for the next gig. Even if Konnie didn't get drunk, she still had a headache and was as tired as poo poo. She was the frontwoman! She needed her sleep to look good on stage! That is, like, rock rule #1. Not like the lovely Philly excuse for breakfast was worth getting up for. Nothing but greasy crap that tasted like it was burnt over a grill. Totally gross.

After all that, getting bundled into the Frogger so they can set off sucked. Grumpy Konnie was in the back, making do with a couple bottle of water, but she still wasn't completely happy with the events of the day so far. "Whose fuckin' idea was it to book back-to-back gigs 1000 miles apart from each other?" She grumps. "Are we even going to get there in time?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Did Konnie really want to share a room with Meg and Jules? Likely no. In fact, definitely no, since there may have been certain threats about the fate of a certain speedster's kneecaps. So Konnie goes with Eliza and Meg and Jules to go with Sherry.

The next day Meg happily chomps on an inferior Philly-bagel, apparently unaware she's flying her WASP flag high. Despite the amount she drunk the previous night, the carbs she's loading appear to be taking care of it all. Still, that doesn't keep her from slouching in the front passenger seat. She looks back over her shoulder at Konnie, hiding past the others. "It's like, three hundred, Konnie. What, you wanted just mist there? 'Cause I think you'd get caught in the wind or something. And I'm /not/ running with the equipment."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

She should have bought earplugs. Really, managing a rock band you'd think she'd have an endless supply, a bag that retches them up like a mad LARPer's pouch produces gold coins. It would have made trying not to listen for sounds that she really didn't want to hear from the next bunk over that much easier. Whew. Sleep she did, and noises she can't remember, though that must have been the lumpiest mattress she'd ever encountered.

Ugh. Next time, she'll have to think really hard about trading off a few bucks for a few winks. Somewhere that was a little more comfortable might have saved them a lot of stiffness and slow going this morning.

"Wasn't happy about it either," Sherry grunts, sipping the last cooling inch of her coffee. "But it was that or a bunch of little bars where the hills have eyes. Probably would have lost money doing that, and we'd miss this one too."

Ugh, what a lousy night. Sherry's hair feels as bad as the rest of her somehow, and that's a lot to feel bad with.

"We'll make it. Meg might have to do the final equipment checks herself, but we'll make it."

"Keep an eye on the speed limit. Some of these little places make their whole budget on speed traps, and we can't afford the time or the fine."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jules

As much as Meg and Sherry might insist it, Jules doesn't snore. That's practically slander. He's a telepath, he'd know if he was snoring!

Still, he wakes up without a headache although with his hair quite disheveled but, after a walk and a coffee, he's pretty much back to fighting shape, sitting in the front seat, hands on the wheel. He's a pretty decent driver. That one time he got booked doesn't count.

He goes to open his mouth and suggest that Meg could maybe run there ahead of time, but she says she's not doing that. Well, it seemed like a good idea. "Besides, if we're late," Jules says, tapping his forehead with a finger, "This can help us out. But imagine if one of us could teleport. Wouldn't need a van."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Three hundred, a thousand, it's still a loving long time." Konnie continues to grump, now crossing her arms and slouching. "At least if I misted over there I wouldn't be cramped and feeling like poo poo. And you're going to be super-speeding setup once we get there."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Awh man," she says, as she gets stuck with setup. Meg sticks her tongue out at Konnie, then asks of Sherry, "You got a stage plan for this place?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"We don't have time to do it the proper way, so we have to do it the Meg way."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

With a grunt, Sherry turns and twists, managing far enough to see the back of the van. "It's... in the file box. Lousy copy of an official plan view with power and A/V hookups marked, but no signs of what's on which circuit. There's a few printouts of pictures I talked someone there into taking too."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"…we're going to get set on fire again, aren't we?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Back on the road after refueling, the Band begins to make better time. It turns out that Jules makes a pretty good radar detector. The few times he senses the mentality of a police officer nearby, he slows down, then speeds back up when out of range. Jules shaved almost an hour off the Google maps estimation. By the time they approach Pittsburgh, it's late early evening.

The Band doesn't enter the city, but skirts it and then heads to Fitzgerald College in Wexford Township north of the city. Jules turns off the Pennsylvania Turnpike and cruise down another highway about ten miles over the speed limit. Fitzgerald College sits along side North Pennsylvania State Park, so the drive is pretty scenic. The exit to Fitzgerald College appears about a half hour later.

Fitzgerald College looks like Meg's nightmare. An affluent liberal arts school, haircuts in sweaters and khakis populate the campus. The campus is full of winding roads and quads, and it takes Jules a second lap around before he the band can locate the Auditorium. Jules parks the Frogger in a parking lot filled with Jeeps, Beamers, Range Rovers, and other cars that eighteen year olds couldn't afford without the indulgence of their parents.

Gypsy Widow's set time is 9PM, just under an hour from now.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"…drive like that all the time and maybe we wouldn't be so late." Konnie tells Jules as she slinks out of the Frogger, giving herself a biiiiig stretch that cracks all her bones. "Tell you what, after that you better have a good after-party lined up this time, Cher. All these rich kid fucks should have decent booze we can steal." Kon off-handily directs at the band manager. Going round the back of the van, Kon throws open the door. "So how far do we need to lug our poo poo?" She asks, digging out her guitar and a speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Just for clarity's sake, Eliza did not force Konnie to sleep in the bath-tub at their last port of call. Eliza was perfectly fine sleeping in the same bed as Konnie, even if it was a double or a single. In a way, her status as a fiendish spirit creature lacking in inhibitions actually makes Eliza oddly innocent. She wasn't planning on making a pass at Konnie (especially after meeting Luna so recently,) and Konnie certainly wasn't going to make a pass at her, so she completely fails to understand why innocently sleeping in the same bed together makes the rusalka uncomfortable. She's pretty sure same gendered siblings sometimes do that when there aren't enough beds to go around.

Humans are strange. She wrote it up in her Humans Are Strange diary, (which she hopes to publish as observational fiction someday,) and moved on from there.

As fidgetty and active a creature as Eliza is, she's surprisingly tolerable on a long car trip with the advent of modern mobile technology. She spent the first half hour or so text-chatting with Luna, then wrangled Sherry into playing a game of Worms on a tablet, and then spent the remainder of time fooling around with a bunch of NES and SNES games she managed to download onto said tablet.

By the time Konnie starts unloading the van, Eliza actually says, "We're here already?"

Hauling her gear out of the back, she queries, "The last one wasn't so bad. You liked Lyra and the bartender; and crawling spider demons from another reality didn't creep out of the tangled web-funnel in time and space someone installed in black thread on the museum wall."

• Locked thread