Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Welcome to the First Inaugural Goon Napoleon's Triumph Team Game

THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST WARGAME IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH

I have a love affair with Napoleon's Triumph. I am a wargamer but I am also a euro-gamer at heart and this is the perfect marriage of both. Napoleon's Triumph is a completely deterministic wargame, which might sound weird but in actuality it works extremely well. Since there is a fog of war in this game, playing this game is like playing poker with multiple hands at once. And now imagine having all of those cards being held by other players with only limited information between them: this is what this PBP will be about.

Napoleon's Triumph is about the battle of Austerlitz, but with a twist: like all Simmons Games, this game not only attempts to reflect the situation in the battle, but the FEEL of the battle as well. At the start, the Allies (Russia and Austria) will be on the attack. At any time, the French player can decide to send in his reinforcements, but if he does, the victory conditions change radically and the French are forced to attack.

This game will be a Team game, in which two teams of 4 players each will duke it out against each other.

Let me join, NOW!

Reading THE RULES is absolutely necessary in order to be part of this PBP. If you don't read the rules, you aren't getting in. I'm not expecting absolute mastery immediately and I will answer questions if necessary.

Please pay special attention to the TEAM RULES at the end of the manual, for they will be used in this game.

The signup/game will function in the following way:

- To say up, say ##FOR THE EMPEROR! or ##DOWN WITH NAPOLEON! depending on what side you want. This will be strictly handled on a first come/first served basis.
- After all the signups are done, each side can have their conference: the conference will first decide the chain of command and the Chief Commander. After that has been decided, the Chief Commander will assign corps to various Commanders, after which troop deployment will be decided (the French can make a preliminary plan and change it after seeing the Allied setup), as well as general tactics, standing orders and anything else they can think of.
- Once both sides have finished the conference, the game proper will start. As mentioned in the rules, further communication will be handled by single orders at the start of each turn. The Chief Commander will post these in the thread. NO OTHER COMMUNICATIONS APART FROM THESE ORDERS IS PERMITTED IN THE FACTION THREAD.
- Turns will be run using the chain of command as defined in the rules. Orders will be posted in the thread, after which they will be relayed by me to this thread and the opposing player in the other thread will be allowed to post defence declarations.

The thread will be split into three: the general OOC/communal thread, the French thread and the Allied thread. Players can view their thread or the communal thread, but THEY SHOULD NOT VIEW THE ENEMY THREAD. If I see evidence of cheating, the game will be stopped, I will blacklist the person in question, and restart the game with a less fun way of handling secrecy. Please don't cheat.

Questions? Comments? Want to tell me I'm crazy for running this?

Feel free to ask me anything or tell me how much of an idiot I am for deciding to run this.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Map

This is the map that is going to be used in order to play this game. This has been handily referenced, which should make it easier to handle running the game:

Also there is this map if you really want a really big map

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 17, 2014

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
##FOR THE EMPEROR!

As long as I don't have to be commander, I've never played this game before.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I've gone from knowing nothing about wargames to playing Wargame Red Dragon to playing No Retreat! Let's go further backwards!

##DOWN WITH NAPOLEON! Subordinate commander please!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
##Pour l'Empereur!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
##DOWN WITH NAPOLEON!
What could possibly go wrong

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh btw one slot is reserved for silvergoose because he'll skin me alive if I don't reserve a slot. He will take the last slot (either french or allies) if he doesn't post here first. Currently 2 French and 2 Allied slots left (with one reserved as per above).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
##MERCENARY SIGNUP. Whichever side fills first, give me the other one.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 17, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Two more slots!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'll take one if I may

##Down with Napoleon

E: I've just noticed the game is called Napoleon's Triumph, seems like some there's some bias there if you ask me!

Aston fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 18, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
##For the Emperor

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Well this is odd. We have 8 players, but 2 of them both say "give me the last slot". Can we claim Gutter Owl for the Austrian/Russian side?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm just posting to register my anticipation of learning about this game. I hope that this will be a relatively informative thread!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Woohoo! I will not care which side, I've played both and loved both. If gutter owl truly does not care, I will ##DOWN WITH NAPOLEON because attacking is so much more fun than puny imperial defenses gently caress French cavalry is going to tear us apart.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And by the way, while communications is Strictly Forbidden, even between team members, except for specific messages...trash talk and rules questions are totally legit, I'm assuming.

Your silly armies will fall beneath the might of stormwind I mean Prussia.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

blah blah blah ##DOWN WITH NAPOLEON something something fart fart fart

The die is cast, then. Pour l'Empereur!

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

what is the timeline going to be like on this? game rules say 3 hours but i'm guessing since it's pbp you multiply that by months

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

4 players a side, max of 10 rounds, so we're talking a maximum of 80 orders sent, but then combat can take a *while* depending on how much back and forth we need to do. Tek, will there be some nice format we can put "well, if he feints, put this unit into the approach" and "if he doesn't feint, I'm not retreating, I'll reveal x unit(s), if he reveals y or z I'll counter attack but if not..." etc etc

Like, I could see sending orders like that, it just seems clunky and I was wondering if you had thoughts on good formatting advice.

On the other hand, there usually aren't *that* many combats in a given turn.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So, having never played this before, let me just make sure I have the unit differentiation correct:

• Infantry are...well, infantry. They can attack from one location away (either from reserve or from the approach), and they can move from reserve to reserve by road.
  • Cavalry can attack feint an attack via a road move, and can end a road move blocking an approach. They also do not suffer a -1 penalty for attacking across a blocked approach. Otherwise they behave like infantry.
  • Artillery pieces can only lead attacks via a unit move (not a corps move), can only attack if they were blocking the attack approach, and you cannot do artillery attacks across the same approach in consecutive turns (unless you're attacking from a hill to a non-hill). They also cannot counterattack. In return however, attacking artillery ignore the unit strength of defending units, and cannot be counterattacked.

Is this correct and comprehensive?

EDIT: Okay, more I was missing.
  • Artillery lead attacks never take losses.
  • Artillery can combine Unit Move attacks. Infantry and Cavalry can only combine Corps Move attacks.
  • Attacking Artillery leaders do not inflict bonus losses on the defender.
  • Defending Artillery leaders reduce losses on the defender.
  • Defending Artillery take loss damage with the general defenders, rather than the defense leaders or counterattackers.
  • Artillery attack leaders do not push into the defending territory on a win.

Artillery are special little snowflakes, aren't they.

EDIT 2: Christ, there's more. I need to make a cheat sheet or something.

EDIT 3: Found one.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 18, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Well, Napoleon was an artillery commander first...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The timeline is that we are taking as long as necessary to play this. I will try to be quick with the updates. I will allow conditionals to speed up attacks but yeah, there's not always combat, so it shouldn't take too long.

As for the unit breakdown:

- Infantry doesn't have to use roads if they move a single local from reserve to reserve. They can move further if they use roads though. On retreats, infantry can take casualties.

- Cavalry, as you said, can feint on road moves/can move immediately to block an approach. On retreats, cavalry doesn't take losses if they are in reserve (this allows you to create cavalry screens, which are essential in this game).

- Artillery is really weird as you mentioned. Not sure what you mean by 'combining unit move attacks (do you mean using two artilleries using two unit moves?). The important thing to note about artillery tough is that they are always removed on retreat, no matter how many other losses are calculated.

Anyway, I will be setting up the thread sometime today when I have time (I just woke up)! And yeah, communication is forbidden but trash talking/rules questions etc are allowed.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
This looks interesting. Give'em the what-for, enfants de la patrie!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The French Thread and The Allied Thread are up! Remember not to look in the one of the other side! Also remember that the conference is the only time in the game that you will be able to free talk, so use it wisely! I will give a time limit for conferences but for now don't worry about it.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 18, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Tekopo, your link to the French thread leads to the allied thread.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shogeton posted:

No it doesn't :v:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Shogeton posted:

Spy! SPY!!!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I missed this one. At least I won't be embarrasing myself. Good luck, commanders. :munch:

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

i am going to poo poo the bed so badly that i will have to flee to britain in disgrace

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So wait. Is the french side composed entirely of newbies, with all the experience in the hands of the Allies?

C'est super.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

So wait. Is the french side composed entirely of newbies, with all the experience in the hands of the Allies?

C'est super.

:unsmith:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I am very much a newbie for the allies, it's not all bad.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Complete aside from the tactics of the game: The more I look at this map, the grumpier I get.

I get that Simmons is trying to evoke the tactical maps of the era. I can respect that, sure. But would a little graphical design sense kill you? Like, maybe making the impassable approaches a little more visually present than a tiny symbol in a sea of tiny symbols? A faint red color, maybe? Or some hatch-shading, if you don't want to confuse it with the Allied colors?

And you couldn't mark Santon out in some way as a visual reminder that the region has special rules? Say, with blue text and/or symbols and/or approaches, since it favors the French? Something? Anything?

I usually consider marking a game board to be sacrilege (Risk Legacy excepted). But if I ever obtain a copy of this, I might have to break out the pens.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Are we starting on December 1 or 2?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Complete aside from the tactics of the game: The more I look at this map, the grumpier I get.

I'll bet even the tactical officers of the era would be confused by the map :cheeky:

And hey, I am also an allied newbie! The reason I wanted you on our side was because I thought you'd played this before, and it could counterweight my newness.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I'm getting the impression that Silvergoose is the only experienced player here.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Tekopo, once the game actually starts how long do you think you'll allow for each side to submit a move? 24-48 hours max or so?

I've never played pbp so I'm unaware f the pace.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

OkieMurse posted:

Tekopo, once the game actually starts how long do you think you'll allow for each side to submit a move? 24-48 hours max or so?

I've never played pbp so I'm unaware f the pace.
Yes, the time limit will be around a day per move. I don't want to limit thinking time but do want the game to keep going.

And yes, the graphical design of the game is a little bit off (and better in GoG).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

I'm getting the impression that Silvergoose is the only experienced player here.

This may well be, and let me tell you, I can make some awful mistakes in this game sometimes. Don't let cavalry get trapped in towns, y'all.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Both threads: please make sure that that you have a chain of command along with a chief commander. This is a direct line from highest up the chain to lowest.

(also remember that weekends can be busy for people so hopefully everyone will have posted up by the end of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

I would like to be on the bottom of the totem pole tia.

• Locked thread