Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Depends on a raft of things from whether you care about having control over the entire box, budget and what you want the site to be able to do. If you want full control, you want something like Linode or AWS/Azure/DigitalOcean (assuming from your question you don't want it in-house). If it's just a lovely Drupal or Wordpress site, you can probably host it somewhere for free. Or cheap on any of 5000 DreamHost clones. There's a pretty good Web Hosting Megathread in SH/SC.

edit: heh god dammit, I also read it as "simple" :saddowns: Time to go to bed.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

Switching to a different topic, if you guys want to host something beyond a simple website. Who are you using? I'm a little preferential to Windows Azure since most of stuff that would be hosted is Microsoft-Centric.

Lithium Hosting (goon run)

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Switching to a different topic, if you guys want to host something beyond a simple website. Who are you using? I'm a little preferential to Windows Azure since most of stuff that would be hosted is Microsoft-Centric.

I asked this question in the web hosting thread a while ago and got a great answer: Jekyll Bootstrap + GitHub Pages. The only gotcha is your code must be publicly available so don't put anything private (private keys, passwords, etc) in there.

It took me a few hours to set up (I'M NEW TO THIS OK) but now that I have it down it's cake. I installed Ruby + the Windows GitHub client on my Windows 8 box and it works well. Posts are written in Markdown (easy to learn and memorize) and then "compiled" into HTML. You can preview posts before you push. It supports themes and has a very minimalist look with the default theme. You don't need to know Ruby to use it, just follow the instructions to create new posts.

100% free and super easy once you get the hang of it. If you're already a Ruby / web programmer / DevOps type you can probably get it up and running in 10 minutes.

EDIT: Hey I read that wrong, I thought you wanted a simple one, not "beyond simple." Oh well, I'm sure this well help someone.

hackedaccount fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 18, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am a resource please utilize me beep boop

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I got referred to as a resource once. I gave the guy a dirty look and it must have been an angry one because since then he's referred to me by name.

I'm a person, I have a goddamn name.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I totally DaF'd this thread...

I'm glad to know that the term "resource" bothers some people, so I'll try to be more careful how I use it.

But with that said, aren't there a lot worse things to be called than a "resource"? Doesn't that imply a you have a fair amount of value?

Yes, on a tactical level, I don't want to ever be referred to as a resource, or a number, or anything other than my name or title. But when we are talking about a position I'm trying to fill, not the person I am trying to fill it with, "resource" is a placeholder for "person with desirable talents".

Misogynist posted:

I'd love to know which companies you work with that pay their FTEs' entire annual salary up front :yum:

By this I mean they pay my agency fee up front in a lump sum as is the norm for direct hire.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

"Jim, you've been a valuable intellectual resource and I don't think we could have completed this project without your input"
"DON'T CALL ME A RESOURCE I AM NOT A LUMP OF COAL THAT YOU CAN BURN AWAY FOR YOUR BENEFIT!"
"Sorry Jim! I just meant to say that you're a real asset to he organization."
"OH, SO NOW I'M JUST AN ASSET, LIKE SOME COMMODITY TO BE TRADED AND SOLD, I'M A PERSON WITH HOPES AND DREAMS AND FEELINGS!"
"I feel like maybe we're talking past each other, I was just trying to get across that you've a very valuable part of this company."
"VALUABLE?! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST MONETIZE ME AND ASSIGN A DOLLAR VALUE TO MY PRODUCTION LIKE I'M SOME PIECE OF MACHINERY!"
"Okay, okay, what I meant to say is that you, Jim, are an independent human person that is currently employed by this company."
"That's better."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

By this I mean they pay my agency fee up front in a lump sum as is the norm for direct hire.
Do you mean your fee structure doesn't follow a standard 90-day cliff, or that you refund a pro-rated portion if the hire doesn't work out?

NippleFloss posted:

"Jim, you've been a valuable intellectual resource and I don't think we could have completed this project without your input"
"DON'T CALL ME A RESOURCE I AM NOT A LUMP OF COAL THAT YOU CAN BURN AWAY FOR YOUR BENEFIT!"
"Sorry Jim! I just meant to say that you're a real asset to he organization."
"OH, SO NOW I'M JUST AN ASSET, LIKE SOME COMMODITY TO BE TRADED AND SOLD, I'M A PERSON WITH HOPES AND DREAMS AND FEELINGS!"
"I feel like maybe we're talking past each other, I was just trying to get across that you've a very valuable part of this company."
"VALUABLE?! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST MONETIZE ME AND ASSIGN A DOLLAR VALUE TO MY PRODUCTION LIKE I'M SOME PIECE OF MACHINERY!"
"Okay, okay, what I meant to say is that you, Jim, are an independent human person that is currently employed by this company."
"That's better."
It's different in a staffing context when you haven't done anything with the company yet, especially in contract situations. You're not a person with skills, abilities and intelligence to bring to the team, you're a checkbox on a project manager's spreadsheet.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Misogynist posted:

Do you mean your fee structure doesn't follow a standard 90-day cliff, or that you refund a pro-rated portion if the hire doesn't work out?

There are absolutely protections in place to protect them from me sending over a shitheel. Depends on the contract, but yeah 90 days is common. I'd typically replace the person if he doesn't work out.

I was referring to the way they pay though. Typical direct hire is up front, net 30/60/90 or something usually, whereas CtH is obviously spaced out over 6 months where we take on the employee and they pay us a higher hourly.

One of the drivers for CtH: A lot of times IT managers for medium/large businesses have to get HR approval for large sums paid to agencies (typically 20-25% of first year salary) whereas they usually have more direct control over consulting dollars. So they onboard the "resource" via consulting, then have the right to hire them free after 6 months.

Anyway, not sure if that's news to you or not, but that's what I was getting at and how it works in an "at will" state like VA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Dark Helmut posted:

I totally DaF'd this thread...

Hey, speaking of CF and the area where you recruit. . .

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

I think we've all had this reaction when he's having a bad day:

funkybottoms posted:

again, i don't know what the gently caress he's on about. trolling, maybe?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark Helmut posted:

Yes, on a tactical level, I don't want to ever be referred to as a resource, or a number, or anything other than my name or title. But when we are talking about a position I'm trying to fill, not the person I am trying to fill it with, "resource" is a placeholder for "person with desirable talents".

I don't know, I just feel like there are a plethora of words you can use as placeholders that don't relegate people to the level of interchangeable cogs. Professional, expert, or a generic term for a person who would fit a particular job (developer, network admin, tech, etc.), it's not like it takes any effort for you to use one of those terms instead. Hell, calling the people you send to your clients "experts" instead of "resources" might make your clients see them as more valuable on a subconscious level, which can't be bad for your business.

Misogynist posted:

It's different in a staffing context when you haven't done anything with the company yet, especially in contract situations. You're not a person with skills, abilities and intelligence to bring to the team, you're a checkbox on a project manager's spreadsheet.

A very good way to put it. A boss I respect calling me a valuable resource to the company can be a compliment. A recruiter sending me a job posting jam packed with phrasing such as, "My client is looking for a resource to develop their website," makes me want to respond with a link to w3schools.com.

It's a button with me, I'll certainly admit that (I'm the one who CFed the thread, if we're being honest).

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 18, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So I nabbed a job in IT as the young help desk whippersnapper. It's my first job in IT, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Though I'll probably hate help desk in 6 months or so.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I nabbed a job in IT as the young help desk whippersnapper. It's my first job in IT, and I'm pretty excited about it.

It took me a week before I found a client who yelled at me for having to investigate their problem. I hated helpdesk after that, 6 months is a very, very long estimate

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

psydude posted:

We should take bets on when he burns out from thinking about IT 24/7.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

owDAWG posted:

About 5 months ago.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

psydude posted:

He is amazing. I wish I could make glasses that would allow me to see the world through his eyes just for a few minutes.

And to Che, I get what you're saying. I don't think I ever specifically talk about a person, much less address someone in a recruiting email, as a resource or anything like that. But I'm sure now that you brought it to my attention I'll catch myself doing it...

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know, I just feel like there are a plethora of words you can use as placeholders that don't relegate people to the level of interchangeable cogs. Professional, expert, or a generic term for a person who would fit a particular job (developer, network admin, tech, etc.), it's not like it takes any effort for you to use one of those terms instead. Hell, calling the people you send to your clients "experts" instead of "resources" might make your clients see them as more valuable on a subconscious level, which can't be bad for your business.

I don't mind being called a resource in a complimentary or non-condescending manner. But I hate when people overuse the word "engage". Every time someone uses that word when they say they're going to "engage" someone to fix something, I imagine them flipping a switch on some giant machine that sucks up problems and shits out a solution.

It's a great word to use when you want to sound like you're contributing, when in actuality you're just asking someone else to do it.

owDAWG posted:

When do his meds expire?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

dogstile posted:

It took me a week before I found a client who yelled at me for having to investigate their problem. I hated helpdesk after that, 6 months is a very, very long estimate

Right, I figure I'll work on getting some sort of cert that can help me become maybe a junior sys admin or something like that while I'm on the desk. I certainly don't want to be stuck on help desk forever, I'm just happy I got my foot in the door and out of retail.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You'll be fine. Just use it as an opportunity.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Right, I figure I'll work on getting some sort of cert that can help me become maybe a junior sys admin or something like that while I'm on the desk. I certainly don't want to be stuck on help desk forever, I'm just happy I got my foot in the door and out of retail.

Aye, treat it like a stepping stone. I'm now out of main helpdesk (I still pick up a phone every now and again) and IT is wonderful now.

E: Took me 8 months to get away from it, so hopefully yours will be a shorter stint.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

Aye, treat it like a stepping stone. I'm now out of main helpdesk (I still pick up a phone every now and again) and IT is wonderful now.

E: Took me 8 months to get away from it, so hopefully yours will be a shorter stint.

I have know people that have been on the helpdesk for 5 years. The important thing is during that time is to find out what you want to specialize in and create a plan to get there and convey to management your goals.

I skipped over help desk and went right into Desktop Support but I was there longer than I felt I should have. Eventually I built up enough of a knowledgebase in what I wanted to do I was able to leave my Desktop Support job for a Systems Administrator position at another company.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I've always kind of assumed that help desk and desktop support are the same thing. Obviously the differences in positions will vary from org to org but in general what separates these two roles?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Desktop support, be it in-person or remote, is what it says on the tin - desktop support. Troubleshooting desktop-level hardware and software problems, Microsoft Office, problems with accessing mapped drives, stuff like that. Desktop support guys don't often tinker around with back-end stuff such as AD or Exchange.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Depends what the size of the office is. I do tons of Desktop Support, but my official title is Network Administrator and I get paid like one.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's really dependent on the size of the shop (lines get blurred often in smaller environments) but chances are if your company issues you a headset and you take calls all day, you're helpdesk.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, this will be for a company that according to linked in is around 50 people, and the role that described to me was "help desk, remoting into people's computers, and repairing/reimaging people's computers that we bring in from the field". So basically help desk with a side of desktop support I'm guessing.

The company supposedly supports small to medium sized businesses.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 19, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Drunk Orc posted:

I've always kind of assumed that help desk and desktop support are the same thing. Obviously the differences in positions will vary from org to org but in general what separates these two roles?

Helpdesk is usually triage and first-line questions. Problems that can't be handled over the phone are usually handed off to desktop support or escalated to the infrastructure people. The roles can be combined, but in larger organizations they are usually separate.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
So if I'm shooting for entry level stuff I should be focusing on applying for mainly help desk positions? When I've got my degree in hand plus a couple of relevant certifications to what I want to do I could start shooting for more network/security oriented roles?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

So if I'm shooting for entry level stuff I should be focusing on applying for mainly help desk positions? When I've got my degree in hand plus a couple of relevant certifications to what I want to do I could start shooting for more network/security oriented roles?

Helpdesk / Desktop Support / Jr Admin are a all basically what you're looking for. You're looking for 6-12 mo in that role to move up to more of an Admin / Analyst role. (although my helpdesk experience was more of remote desktop support and my title was IT Analyst) ymmv

Don't worry too much with the title, focus more on the job description.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Edit: Quote is not edit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, this will be for a company that according to linked in is around 50 people, and the role that described to me was "help desk, remoting into people's computers, and repairing/reimaging people's computers that we bring in from the field". So basically help desk with a side of desktop support I'm guessing.

The company supposedly supports small to medium sized businesses.

Sounds kind of like how I started out, a little bit of hardware, a little bit of software, mainly remoting in and making sure backups are running, things like that.

Its not a bad gig to be honest, so long as your customers aren't awful. Way better than say, a call center where they issue you a headset, a script and some handy dandy tips for speaking in a super polite manner in exchange for your dignity.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I really enjoy desktop support. Is that weird? I do want to move up into networking because of pay and it's a natural progression for me, but honestly getting out and about around campus solving problems is pretty fun.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can you request help or opinion on this thread regarding 35-hour-long homework assignments? This particular one stole my weekend!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Grouchio posted:

Can you request help or opinion on this thread regarding 35-hour-long homework assignments? This particular one stole my weekend!

What is it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Assignment (Image Demonstration): (Example page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/demopages/images.pdf

(Evalutation Page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/admin/demospecs.htm

Due Date: Tuesday Night.

My Average Grade in this class: F

What I currently have: file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html (search the link)

My amount of patience: Long gone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Grouchio posted:

What I currently have: file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html (search the link)

:rolleyes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Grouchio posted:

My Assignment (Image Demonstration): (Example page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/demopages/images.pdf

(Evalutation Page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/admin/demospecs.htm

I'm more confused now than I am during a DaF meltdown night.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I can make your PC Finally Fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grouchio posted:

You can try asking, but web design (and/or computer science) may just not be cut out for you. What exactly is the problem?

Edit: inb4 "computer science is hard so you shouldn't do it" is elitist. I'm happy to help through anything, just being plain.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 20, 2014