Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

vivisecting posted:

Thanks! I'll call first thing in the morning!

Oh! I didn't know there was Canadian PCPartpicker. Thanks.

I suppose I will return everything and start completely fresh, though the only things I haven't bought yet are the case, the memory, and the graphics card.

Overclock: Yeah, probably even though that sounds pretty Intense and Scary.

Case: I don't want a dumb black square, and I don't want anything hyper-masculine (you know what I'm talking about). When I was looking for cases there weren't any that I actually liked, I just ended up settling on that Phantom 410 because I could put a Cerberus sticker on it and pretend I'm in Mass Effect. :downs:

Game Specs: Well then, I definitely want something that WILL preform beyond "well" since I KNOW I'll be modding the game to hell and back.

We have a thread to help you with overclocking.

This is very similar to my own PC, which is also in a bitfenix prodigy:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($88.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($255.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($396.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan ($19.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-P14025KK-RP 122.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1403.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 06:51 EDT-0400

Some notes:

The bitfenix prodigy comes in a bunch of colours, but there are some differences between them - some colours come with a windows on the side instead of mesh, but the mesh is essential for providing adequate airflow to your graphics card, so if you go with a different colour make sure it has a mesh side panel.

Also, only the black prodigy has a mesh front panel - other colours come with a solid front panel, which starves the intake fan for air. you can however buy mesh front panels from bitfenix in a variety of colours, and just swap out the front panel if you want a non black prodigy.

The front fan is white because A) you won't ever see it and B) It was $5 cheaper than the otherwise identical black fan. You can also buy spectre pros with led lighting in a variety of colours if that is more your thing.

You only had a 500gb hard drive in your previous post so I just replaced that with a 500gb SSD, since you had a huge budget - make sure you run the recently released 'performance restoration tool' on the SSD to update it to the latest firmware, and fix a long term slowdown bug with the previous firmware. Also enable samsung RAPID mode to maximise performance of the SSD, but don't enable any of the other changes suggested by the samsung Magician software. Consult the SSD thread for more info.

If you want more than 500gb of storage space, you can add a 1tb WD blue hard drive as a secondary drive for your movies and poo poo, but keep windows, and any applications installed on the SSD.

Alternate Option:

Instead of a bitfenix prodigy, you could go with the more exotic looking Corsair Graphite 380t. Switching to this case will require a few changes to the rest of the build:

1. an external USB DVD drive, since the graphite doesn't have an optical drive bay (it does have a sweet fan controller though)
2. Different fan choice
3. A corsair all in one liquid cooler, since the case is lower and doesn't have enough clearance for a tower cooler. (The liquid cooler will outperform the tower cooler, at the cost of being a little noisier)

The 380t comes in black, white and black, and canary yellow and black, although the yellow one tends to be hard to find.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case ($146.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 148.7 CFM 200mm Fan ($22.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1515.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 08:08 EDT-0400

Bitfenix Prodigy:

Corsair Graphite 380t:

note that the handles on the prodigy are strictly cosmetic, you can't use them to carry the case around, but the handle on the top of the 380t is solid and is specifically designed for carrying the PC. The 380t is also a sturdier, better built case that will be a bit easier to work in. It's also better dust filtered.

Note that you can improve the performance and reduce the noise of the H105 by adding better quality fans from noctua.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I am just here to get advice myself, but...

The Bitfenix Prodigy is a really cool looking, well built case that comes in

black

orange

green

blue

red

and white.

[edit]

Beaten to it!

I think it's just the green and blue ones that have a window instead of a vent on the side. A shame, because the green is rad as hell.

Also holy poo poo that 380t thing looks ridiculous, but also really cool. The yellow one looks like a futuristic boombox.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 19, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hadlock posted:

My current board is a full size ATX, as will future builds most likely
In terms of ATX cases, the 230T and 200R were recommended earlier as budget cases that are about as cheap as that Antec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018

If you're willing to go up to $100 though everyone seems to recommend the Enthoo Pro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

In terms of ATX cases, the 230T and 200R were recommended earlier as budget cases that are about as cheap as that Antec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018

If you're willing to go up to $100 though everyone seems to recommend the Enthoo Pro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

Also the SPEC line if you don't mind gaudiness. The enthoo pro is fantastic, but probably too tall for Hadlock.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

So quick question for you all. This is, as mentioned, a pretty good deal. I was looking to upgrade my GTX660Ti as soon as I can find a goddamn 970 in stock but am now considering a processor upgrade as well. In light of this deal, would I notice a considerable performance upgrade if I'm replacing an i5-3570K (not overclocked nor are there plans to)? Or would it not be enough to spend the money this year and wait for the next generation?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Give Pat a Job posted:

So quick question for you all. This is, as mentioned, a pretty good deal. I was looking to upgrade my GTX660Ti as soon as I can find a goddamn 970 in stock but am now considering a processor upgrade as well. In light of this deal, would I notice a considerable performance upgrade if I'm replacing an i5-3570K (not overclocked nor are there plans to)? Or would it not be enough to spend the money this year and wait for the next generation?

Absolutely not. Even next generation is probably too soon.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Prodigy is seriously making me consider micro atx for my next build.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Prodigy is seriously making me consider micro atx for my next build.

The mITX prodigy is better in my opinion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alright, this is what I'm going with:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $421.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 10:28 EDT-0400

The RAM looks like it has BDH (Big Dumb Heatsinks) but it had a 15% promo code that made it the cheapest 2x2 GB DDR3-1600 CL9 at 1.5V, and I'm using the stock cooler so I should be fine, right?

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Alright, this is what I'm going with:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $421.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 10:28 EDT-0400

The RAM looks like it has BDH (Big Dumb Heatsinks) but it had a 15% promo code that made it the cheapest 2x2 GB DDR3-1600 CL9 at 1.5V, and I'm using the stock cooler so I should be fine, right?

That case has no fans for airflow, how are you going to overclock that G3258? Adding 80mm fans will be noisier than a case that comes with 80mm fans. If you don't plan to overclock, you shouldn't be getting a g3258. Something like a Silverstone GD05B-USB3 would be a better option.

If you're using the stock cooler it really doesn't matter what the RAM heatsinks are like.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

That case has no fans for airflow, how are you going to overclock that G3258? Adding 80mm fans will be noisier than a case that comes with 80mm fans. If you don't plan to overclock, you shouldn't be getting a g3258. Something like a Silverstone GD05B-USB3 would be a better option.

If you're using the stock cooler it really doesn't matter what the RAM heatsinks are like.

Oh hm, I didn't even notice it has no fans; I picked it on the recommendation of Factory Factory but he was probably trying to help me stay at my chosen price point. My latest bright idea was to try to mildly undervolt/overclock; I posted in I think the AMD thread that there's a little bit of a vanity aspect to the overclocking side of things for me and that's partly why I was going with the 3258.

Hypothetically, if I already purchased the case due to posting this build a few times and that fan issue not being noticed, what fans should I get? I know 80 mm fans are kind of anathema but it will be behind a glass door (TV cabinet, in a corner, with an open back so it does have good room for air) and I have four kids so noise frankly isn't a huge factor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh hm, I didn't even notice it has no fans; I picked it on the recommendation of Factory Factory but he was probably trying to help me stay at my chosen price point. My latest bright idea was to try to mildly undervolt/overclock; I posted in I think the AMD thread that there's a little bit of a vanity aspect to the overclocking side of things for me and that's partly why I was going with the 3258.

Hypothetically, if I already purchased the case due to posting this build a few times and that fan issue not being noticed, what fans should I get? I know 80 mm fans are kind of anathema but it will be behind a glass door (TV cabinet, in a corner, with an open back so it does have good room for air) and I have four kids so noise frankly isn't a huge factor.

Noctua makes some smaller fans - I doubt you'd get quieter, or better performing. or you could return it. Dust filtering is also going to be an issue. I think you should forget about overclocking and just get a regular non overclocking CPU and an H97 mobo though.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 19, 2014

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh wait! Good news: I haven't bought it yet. I bought the Newegg portion but I have some Amazon gift cards back at home and I was going to wait and use them when I get back tonight. I thought the case was a Newegg purchase but I must have been thinking of the power supply.

I'd rather not spend an extra $50 so is there another option in between those two? It looks like a nice case but that's getting into "ouch" territory for me.

Edit: dang, that's 10 inches high as opposed to 4 inches for the ML03. I might just get a 3-pack of those Noctuas and call it good. I have the shelf in that cabinet set high to accommodate the receiver, but 10 inches is probably really pushing it.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh wait! Good news: I haven't bought it yet. I bought the Newegg portion but I have some Amazon gift cards back at home and I was going to wait and use them when I get back tonight. I thought the case was a Newegg purchase but I must have been thinking of the power supply.

I'd rather not spend an extra $50 so is there another option in between those two? It looks like a nice case but that's getting into "ouch" territory for me.

Edit: dang, that's 10 inches high as opposed to 4 inches for the ML03. I might just get a 3-pack of those Noctuas and call it good. I have the shelf in that cabinet set high to accommodate the receiver, but 10 inches is probably really pushing it.

Does it have to be a low profile HTPC style case? Those are unfortunately quite expensive for good ones. Also your stated preference for mATX also eliminates the majority of them. If you were willing to go mITX, there would be a number of compelling choices.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 19, 2014

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Give Pat a Job posted:

I got the same stuff and this is pretty much how I feel about that:

The Lord Bude posted:

Absolutely not. Even next generation is probably too soon.

Even though new poo poo would be cool, I can't bring to spend as much money that would be needed to replace a computer that is only 2(or something) years old. It works just fine for today's games.

I have gotten a few upgrades since then. Not the expensive parts but things like an SSD, a nicer monitor. I even upgraded my case recently from the old Antec P180 I reused from my last computer. That case was nice when I got it, but drat, cases has improved a lot since then.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Two quick questions.

First, due to a shipping delay, my PSU isn't going to arrive until tomorrow, everything else is here. I've never built a computer before, is it ok to go ahead and assemble everything today, and then hook-up the psu when it arrives tomorrow? Or is it better to do everything at once?

Second, I bought this WD Red 2TB hard drive to pair with an SSD. Is this drive going to be fast enough for most games? Any open world games will probably be moved on and off of the SDD as needed, but would this drive do ok with open world games or would there be a noticeable performance drop?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Two quick questions.

First, due to a shipping delay, my PSU isn't going to arrive until tomorrow, everything else is here. I've never built a computer before, is it ok to go ahead and assemble everything today, and then hook-up the psu when it arrives tomorrow? Or is it better to do everything at once?

Second, I bought this WD Red 2TB hard drive to pair with an SSD. Is this drive going to be fast enough for most games? Any open world games will probably be moved on and off of the SDD as needed, but would this drive do ok with open world games or would there be a noticeable performance drop?

PSU usually gets hooked up last anyway as all the cables get in the way so you will be fine. SSD's don't affect "performance" as much as load time really and that depends on the game, some will see huge differences(BF4) others barely any.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Two quick questions.

Second, I bought this WD Red 2TB hard drive to pair with an SSD. Is this drive going to be fast enough for most games?

I misread your post. You should not build your computer today. You may have problems getting your PSU in after your motherboard, and you would definitely have problems getting it in if you put your video card in before the PSU. So in short, just wait.

Why aren't you installing any load intensive games on the SSD?

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 19, 2014

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Does it have to be a low profile HTPC style case? Those are unfortunately quite expensive for good ones. Also your stated preference for mATX also eliminates the majority of them. If you were willing to go mITX, there would be a number of compelling choices.

I'm constrained by a few things - budget obviously, but space within reason, and I need two PCI-E slots due to the video card and capture card. If I could be sure the integrated GPU on the Pentium is enough to replace the existing Radeon 6550 that would open up mITX. But if that's going to significantly increase my cost it's moot anyway.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why aren't you installing any load intensive games on the SSD?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Any games I play frequently will be installed to the SSD, I'm just asking if the HDD is fast enough for anything else I'd like to have installed, but don't want taking up space on the SSD.

Apologies for the confusion, and I'll hold off on starting the build until I have the PSU.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Any games I play frequently will be installed to the SSD, I'm just asking if the HDD is fast enough for anything else I'd like to have installed, but don't want taking up space on the SSD.

Apologies for the confusion, and I'll hold off on starting the build until I have the PSU.

I have most of my games on a 2tb Red and yeah it's perfectly fine so far for Wolfenstein New Order, Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite etc. etc.

Doesn't take ages to load and when it's loaded it doesn't matter. You may find some issues with things like the high res textures of Shadows of Mordor in virtual memory I think? That's speculation though, not tried it myself and unlikely to since I'm on a GTX 760

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

The Lord Bude posted:

... note that the handles on the prodigy are strictly cosmetic, you can't use them to carry the case around ...

Nah, the top handles are exactly the same ones as the bottom handles, and they are buff as heck. I lug my system by them all the time, and they can take a shitload of deformation without breaking. It's natural to treat them like eggshells but they're really, really not.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

The Lord Bude posted:

Alternate Option:

Instead of a bitfenix prodigy, you could go with the more exotic looking Corsair Graphite 380t. Switching to this case will require a few changes to the rest of the build:

1. an external USB DVD drive, since the graphite doesn't have an optical drive bay (it does have a sweet fan controller though)
2. Different fan choice
3. A corsair all in one liquid cooler, since the case is lower and doesn't have enough clearance for a tower cooler. (The liquid cooler will outperform the tower cooler, at the cost of being a little noisier)

The 380t comes in black, white and black, and canary yellow and black, although the yellow one tends to be hard to find.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case ($146.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 148.7 CFM 200mm Fan ($22.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1515.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 08:08 EDT-0400

Corsair Graphite 380t:

I didn't realize all my poo poo would fit in a mini case so I really like the 380t, but I was kind of set on getting a mid-tower so I could get this stupid light show: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011

Is there a RGB fan that I could similarly control?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

Nah, the top handles are exactly the same ones as the bottom handles, and they are buff as heck. I lug my system by them all the time, and they can take a shitload of deformation without breaking. It's natural to treat them like eggshells but they're really, really not.

They loving hurt though and I'm a tough bro, I was ready to buy that case and the top handles cut into my hands enough that I'm like yeah I'd rather carry this under an arm like I do with my current case. Maybe wrap some foam sheet around them or something but sheesh.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Why do all Noctua fans have to be pale poop brown? I'm eyeballing this one to pop into the top optional slot on the Nanoxia DS4 because it's got the lowest db rating and is cheaper than the Nanoxia 140mm, but I am deeply concerned it would ruin the black monolith look :qq:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Chard posted:

Why do all Noctua fans have to be pale poop brown? I'm eyeballing this one to pop into the top optional slot on the Nanoxia DS4 because it's got the lowest db rating and is cheaper than the Nanoxia 140mm, but I am deeply concerned it would ruin the black monolith look :qq:

A black one for $21
http://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Cooling-NF-P14s-redux-1500-PWM/dp/B00KF7O58G/ref=sr_1_41?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1413744292&sr=1-41

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

A "redox" model of "Noctuid's" famous fans.

Noctua redux fans in black are a thing, but my eyebrow just rose off my face.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol I missed that

Ok fair enough they do exist. That's a louder fan though, and I'm trying to keep the whole thing as quiet as possible.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Web/office, gaming, and photo/video editing. v:shobon:v Mostly just for web/gaming though.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
My absolute maximum limit is $1,000, but I'd really prefer for it to be $800 or under. I've got a mouse/keyboard/moniter I'm pretty happy with, and I'm planning on re-using a copy of Windows 7 I have for my previous desktop that I built.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator are pretty much my main ones that I use. I actually don't really keep track of my project size, but it goes from basic image manipulation and video editing to kinetic typography videos where the computer is generating the sets. Workflow is basically 'whatever I feel like at the time'.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
1920x1080 - I'd like to run my games on ultra, but I can settle for high/medium. If it helps, the games I play the most at the moment is stuff like FFXIV, WoW, and The Sims, so I'm not looking to run the latest high-end performance-pushing games.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($188.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $839.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 15:17 EDT-0400

I'd like a SSD but it's still a little pricy and I also have a CPU cooler that never got used - this one. I also know that it's suggested to use the Caviar Black, but it's really tempting to go with Seagate for the same amount of space at almost half the price.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

A "redox" model of "Noctuid's" famous fans.

Noctua redux fans in black are a thing, but my eyebrow just rose off my face.

Interesting. Filtering case fans by Noctua on PCPartPicker actually displays these fans: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case-fan/#m=99&sort=d2

So either:
1) Amazon is allowing a deceptive item title and that misled PPP too.
2) The writeup was sloppily done and it truely is a Noctua fan.

The Noctua-level price tag and desire for honesty makes me want to believe 2), but it's probably 1) isn't it?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Factory Factory posted:

Asus and Gigabyte. The Gigabyte cards are pretty long, but if you can fit them, they come with triple DisplayPorts for sweet G-sync surround action (hypothetically).
Sadly, not a single Asus or Gigabyte 970 is in stock, anywhere.

I'm gonna be waiting for weeks, aren't I?

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Any Bitfenix Phenom owners here? I've seen the Prodigy mentioned many times, but I like the look of the Phenom much more and don't care about having handles on the top of my case. LinusTechTips did a pretty awesome 2x 780 SLI build with a Phenom that I'm thinking about copying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk45njIUvH0), though I'd be using 2x 970's instead and curious what others think about this.

The hardest part will be choosing between Black or White:

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm in the same boat man. I'm trying to get my hands on 2x Asus 970's and I'm starting to lose hope.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Any case the similar to the 350d (I really like the look and features, but the lack of a dust filter on the top is turning me off. I live in Denmark and can't find a filter within a decent pricerange).
The 450d is awesome and all, but I hate windowed cases and would really like to avoid that.
I would like good airflow and I don't really care about noise reduction.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I'm interested in building a small PC to use exclusively for emulation. Preferably NES, N64, Gameboy, PS2, Gamecube & Wii. (No PS3/360 or beyond)

I plan to boot directly into Hyperspin through Win7. I know emulation takes a decent amount of power, especially if you want to increase the resolution. I have some bits laying around from an old PC build that I was hoping to use but if I need to start from scratch I'd be willing to do so. I don't need the system for anything beyond emulation as I already have a gaming PC. Keeping the price as low as possible would be nice. After all, it's only for a bit of Mario and Crash Bandicoot.

My current pieces:

ASUS M2A-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor 2.60GHz Black Edition [large afterstock fan]
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Sapphire ATI HD 4870
Corsair VX 550 PSU

The system above isn't assembled. Just a bunch of parts I found in my closet. I didn't want to go through the hassle of assembling if it would be fruitless in the end.

If any of these parts would do the trick reasonably well then that's great. If not, I'd like to purchase some small/compact parts in order to keep the size down. I picture this looking like a true gaming console, either modern or retro (or at least just not like a standard tower PC). Portability would be appreciated. I haven't figured out controller ports yet, but I was hoping to use some 360 controllers and possibly figure out how to stick a gamecube controller adapter on it if Hyperspin would support it.

I've never been into emulation so I'm not sure what kind of power is required. I have read though that some of the more recent titles can require a surprising amount of power. If anyone has any tips that would be excellent.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I ordered one on Sept 30th and received it on Oct 9th in Canada. The wait felt like forever though.

SolitarySolidarity fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 19, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I assume that's meant for a case, found it on random imgur tool

desshar
Jun 4, 2011
@The Lord Bude, thank you for you input.

I had a question about the newegg's i5-4690K and ASRock Z97 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard bundle. Currently, I plan on buying ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard, but the bundle is overall cheaper. And, from what I can tell, the motherboard seem about the same? I think I would have to change my case and fans though. My question is how do the Motherboard compare and is it OK to switch? Also, if I do switch, what is a good case?

Here's my build list again for reference

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-23030KK-RP 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan ($20.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-P14025KK-RP 122.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1111.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 21:05 EDT-0400

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I'm interested in building a small PC to use exclusively for emulation. Preferably NES, N64, Gameboy, PS2, Gamecube & Wii. (No PS3/360 or beyond)

I plan to boot directly into Hyperspin through Win7. I know emulation takes a decent amount of power, especially if you want to increase the resolution. I have some bits laying around from an old PC build that I was hoping to use but if I need to start from scratch I'd be willing to do so. I don't need the system for anything beyond emulation as I already have a gaming PC. Keeping the price as low as possible would be nice. After all, it's only for a bit of Mario and Crash Bandicoot.

My current pieces:

ASUS M2A-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor 2.60GHz Black Edition [large afterstock fan]
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Sapphire ATI HD 4870
Corsair VX 550 PSU

The system above isn't assembled. Just a bunch of parts I found in my closet. I didn't want to go through the hassle of assembling if it would be fruitless in the end.

If any of these parts would do the trick reasonably well then that's great. If not, I'd like to purchase some small/compact parts in order to keep the size down. I picture this looking like a true gaming console, either modern or retro (or at least just not like a standard tower PC). Portability would be appreciated. I haven't figured out controller ports yet, but I was hoping to use some 360 controllers and possibly figure out how to stick a gamecube controller adapter on it if Hyperspin would support it.

I've never been into emulation so I'm not sure what kind of power is required. I have read though that some of the more recent titles can require a surprising amount of power. If anyone has any tips that would be excellent.

I ordered one on Sept 30th and received it on Oct 9th in Canada. The wait felt like forever though.
Well the first thing to keep in mind is that for $140 a Fire TV or the upcoming Google Android Microconsole will do all emulation up through Playstation and N64. Even an Ouya will do it for even less but the controller that comes with it is worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSTZ_XdmsME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aX6j70L3w0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJahu1K48ik

But if you really want to make a project out of it, yes, that hardware should handle everything up through Playstation and N64. You might not even need the videocard. Since you just need a MicroATX or ATX case that will take a regular sized PSU, have at it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204037

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174 (Only if not using the video card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163239 (Only if not using the video card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163257

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204042

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039 :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204044

Chard posted:

I assume that's meant for a case, found it on random imgur tool
That's an old radio or receiver enclosure, you could make a case out of it if you got a motherboard tray and backplate out of an old case somewhere.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 20, 2014

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Overture posted:

Any Bitfenix Phenom owners here? I've seen the Prodigy mentioned many times, but I like the look of the Phenom much more and don't care about having handles on the top of my case. LinusTechTips did a pretty awesome 2x 780 SLI build with a Phenom that I'm thinking about copying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk45njIUvH0), though I'd be using 2x 970's instead and curious what others think about this.

The hardest part will be choosing between Black or White:

I'm in the same boat man. I'm trying to get my hands on 2x Asus 970's and I'm starting to lose hope.

They look nice, I like the white one personally. Calling it "clean".

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The mini-ITX one is significantly worse-off on cooling than the Prodigy because of the poor ventilation for the front intake. It's harder to get a high-end build to work in one because of that. On the mATX version, this matters less because the case doesn't use the front panel for ventilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well the first thing to keep in mind is that for $140 a Fire TV or the upcoming Google Android Microconsole will do all emulation up through Playstation and N64. Even an Ouya will do it for even less but the controller that comes with it is worse.

[...]
But if you really want to make a project out of it, yes, that hardware should handle everything up through Playstation and N64. You might not even need the videocard. Since you just need a MicroATX or ATX case that will take a regular sized PSU, have at it:

I had no idea that the Fire TV and Google Microconsole had that capability. That's tempting for sure.

If I was interested in going a little higher than the Playstation/N64 to perhaps the Wii, which components would you recommend? Would I need a CPU upgrade or should I scrap the whole thing and start from scratch?

Finding a good case seems to be the hardest part. I envisioned something that's both thin and stylish along the lines of a 360 or Alienware Alpha. I guess that's expecting a bit too much, especially considering the parts I want to jam in there. My priority would be having 4 USB ports on the front for controller support though. Having a drive bay/port of some kind on the front where I can install an additional controller adapter (for Gamecube controller support, for example) would be a bonus. I'm tempted by the Aerocool DS for those two reasons, but it's a lot taller than what I had set out to find. I'm going to keep an eye out.

Thanks for your help.

• Locked thread