Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Well that's why I put a ? there because I wasn't 100% sure but didn't want to watch it again. Anyway that's still kind of a flaw to me. I guess the trailing player would have to choose to play instead of bet, which kills the chance of a big comeback, but which still can claw back a few chips at least.

The chooser alternated every round regardless of the outcomes of the previous rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Right, that was confirmed by the previous posters but doesn't change the post you quoted. If I am behind, I can never bet again. The opponent can choose to play and tie on his turn, and if I choose to bet, the opponent will still be playing and can tie. I am saying that's a bit too stifling for the trailing player. You could still attempt to mount a comeback, but only on your own choosing turn, and only by choosing to play and hoping to wifom the other player. The leading player could always bet 1-2 on win, though, meaning the most you can gain is 2 chips every other round, and only if you win a 50/50 wifom. Yikes.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Fast Luck posted:

Right, that was confirmed by the previous posters but doesn't change the post you quoted. If I am behind, I can never bet again. The opponent can choose to play and tie on his turn, and if I choose to bet, the opponent will still be playing and can tie. I am saying that's a bit too stifling for the trailing player. You could still attempt to mount a comeback, but only on your own choosing turn, and only by choosing to play and hoping to wifom the other player. The leading player could always bet 1-2 on win, though, meaning the most you can gain is 2 chips every other round, and only if you win a 50/50 wifom. Yikes.
If you can guarantee draws whenever you play:
If you're ahead by 3 after round 8, you win.
If you're ahead by 4 after round 6, you win.
If you're ahead by 5 after round 4, you win.
Etc.

However, if you're not ahead enough, by choosing not to play (or by drawing), you lose 1 garnet in round 3-8 and 1.5 in 9-10.

There's a "critical point" where you win the game, but then I guess if there wasn't, that kind of game would always end in an all-in coin flip in the last round.

Of course, most of this doesn't hold if someone lied or didn't tell you his pick.

While the game is not great, at least the "solution" is much funner than the memory game solution.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lots of Hongchul haters in this thread. I thought that dude was hilarious all the time, nothing wrong with being goofy all thet time! His facial expressions were the best.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I loved Hongchul. He was a professional and knew how to be entertaining unlike a lot of the others on that season.

Yes it can be seen as playing a character, but I saw it as someone who knew to put his best face on for the camera, which I think is an important distinction. He showed a lot of professionalism.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I don't think anyone here said he wasn't a good comedian, his style just isn't for everyone :sigh:

Was the Finale tonight Asiina?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The finale is tonight. It actually started last night but they played a game for 3 hours and kept creating ties, so it was extended until tonight! Hopefully we have a winner!

7pm EST if people are interested in watching.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never the less and in spite of the evidence there is about to be a Genius in France, Genius in France, Genius in Fraaaance.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Never the less and in spite of the evidence there is about to be a Genius in France, Genius in France, Genius in Fraaaance.

I know the odds are long, but I hope someone translates these. Gotta get my fix.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

To me this means it's just a matter of time before the british copy the idea too like they do with all game shows in Europe. Then things get real fun.

Running With Spoons posted:

Of course, most of this doesn't hold if someone lied or didn't tell you his pick.

This is the real balancing factor for that game, or it would have been if Yongsuk wasn't so intimidating. Adding that to the bet/play system makes it a huge upgrade to the previous rock-paper-scissors challenge, which really was "who does the rest of the cast want around."

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If the British did the genius, it would just be filled with d-list celebrities. We have a growing stock of celebrities that are only famous for being on reality shows.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

sharktamer posted:

If the British did the genius, it would just be filled with d-list celebrities. We have a growing stock of celebrities that are only famous for being on reality shows.

Yeah but we can always imagine a dream one with some people from Eggheads or The Chase, Dara O'Briain, Stephen Fry, Fiona Bruce, Jon Richardson or Benedict Cumberbatch. Maybe James May for a laugh. Maybe some posh wankers from the big name universities like Oxford or Cambridge. Whoever is considered smart as part of their image. EDIT: I forgot David Mitchell or Charlie Brooker, either of them would probably be pretty funny going off on a logic rant about how stupid some game is.

In reality it would probably be as you say, yeah, panel circuit comedians and former contestants on The Apprentice or some other farce.

EDIT: Hmm, too many guys in my suggestions, Sandy Toksvig is very good on QI and Victoria Coren was a pro poker player, they'd be good as well. Jo Brand is pretty clever too.

EDIT2: Oh my god I forgot about Derren Brown, I'd love to see him on a show like The Genius. I want to see if he's as good as he makes himself look on his shows.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 18, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I think the ideal format for a UK version of The Genius would be to follow this season and have a few celebs (to get viewers) then have the rest be non-famous but notably intelligent people. Or at most 50/50. I also have no idea what channel would/could actually make it, I guess BBC4 would be the best hope.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

One-time comedy option: The people on Gogglebox.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I still think an American Genius could work. There is no way it would have the same atmosphere, but with the right casting you could still get a "fun and friendly" group of people.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Just caught up on the episodes, the one thing I think is going to come into play is the whole locking up the deathmatch envelope. I'm thinking that they will give someone a chance to choose which deathmatch is going to happen. Kind of like how they had that hidden 'get out of trouble free' from S2

If they run it in other countries, I'd love it if they could get some game designers into the show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azsedcf posted:

If they run it in other countries, I'd love it if they could get some game designers into the show.

That sounds like a great idea until the German Genius is all auctions.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Episode three is up

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/98041031323/the-genius-3-subbed

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Dear lord this episode is confusing :psyduck:

Random Stranger posted:

That sounds like a great idea until the German Genius is all auctions.

Every death match is a 500 hour long war game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, Middle Race seems like it would be incredibly fun to play.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When the main match was being explained, my roommate and I got really excited, but the outcome was a little too decisive. The death match also wasn't played too well and included an incredibly lucky move. All in all, a little disappointed in how things turned out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My god, Dealer nuna must have been operating at 100% CPU capacity there. Minus the short breaks, she was what, just sitting there doing that for 3-4 hours?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Argue posted:

My god, Dealer nuna must have been operating at 100% CPU capacity there. Minus the short breaks, she was what, just sitting there doing that for 3-4 hours?

She had an earpiece, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a couple of people, each keeping track of certain tiles and powers.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, Middle Race seems like it would be incredibly fun to play.

This. Complicated and confusing as gently caress to follow, but probably a blast to actually play. Also, what was the song they played during the end of the main match? I recognized it as a Florence & the Machine song, but that's about it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that Middle Race requires you to be up front about who you're going to screw over. Lots of examples of things not going according to plan with the order of operations on when abilities trigger too. Jinho would have been great for this game, calculating all kinds of crazy poo poo.

The person I wanted to win in the Deathmatch won, so I'm pretty content. Good episode, next week's looks awesome though. So many opportunities for cool team games, and games in general, when you're at 10 players.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'm just happy the lawyer shithead is dead. I was actually cheering when doctor won.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They forgot (or omitted) the explanation for the stack order on the abilities, that made it a bit confusing for everyone during the first round.

I have the same opinion about the game as you guys: it's super-complicated, but it's probably real fun to play. I love when we get these "synergy" games on The Genius, and if there's ever an American version, I'd like to see a MTG player on it because if anyone's gonna figure out a broken combo it's a TCG expert.

Hyunmin continues to be great, and Lawyer Kang gets wrecked for his threats last episode. Hell yeah.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I really like how many players there are this season who are really clued in. Figuring out how player abilities interact, finding infinite loops etc. Good stuff.

Just compare this cast to the current Survivor season cast, ughh.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

When the main match was being explained, my roommate and I got really excited, but the outcome was a little too decisive. The death match also wasn't played too well and included an incredibly lucky move. All in all, a little disappointed in how things turned out.

I don't think it was luck, it seemed to me that it was pretty clear that Kang wrote 11 on the board. And even if it wasn't all that clear, it fit his pattern.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

Every death match is a 500 hour long war game.

That's the American Genius, except everyone also has a pile of figures to go with their 500 hour war game.

Again, reactions while watching follow:

Keeping track of the special abilities is going to give me a head ache.

The draft is a pretty cool way of dividing things up.

I knew extra black garnets were going to enter somehow and this is a good way to do it.

Okay, I'm writing the powers down here so my brain can keep track and I'm leaving them in the post because I think people will probably want some kind of reference when we talk about the game:

1. Gravity - Pull a player behind you up to just behind you or pull a player far forward to just ahead of you.
2. Reset - Restore a full hand of movement cards to any player (good for deals?)
3. Push - Send players in your space ahead or back one space.
4. Delete - When moved by another player, takes away all but one of yet another player's movement cards (seems the most dangerous and manipulative ability at first glance)
5. With - When they use their last movement card, they move another player at the same time.
6. Union - Pull players one square ahead of you back one. (Can Push and Union daisy chain each other?)
7. One - When other players use a move 1 card, they may move one forward or back. Since this will be coming up on average three times a turn and given how other players interact with movement, this seems extremely powerful.
8. Mirror - When moved by another player, they select yet another player to move the same amount but the opposite direction.
9. Jump - Doesn't count spaces with other players when moving. Also gets an extra move card for "0" and can reset when there are two cards left.
10. Silence - Can disable a player's ability for a full round before moving themselves.
11. Quick - May choose to move twice the movement card distance. They pick two of their cards that will move them forward and two that will move them backward.

Back to viewing reactions:

Immediate reactions: One and Delete are the strongest. With seems the least useful. Silence gets my vote as the ability most likely to bite their player in the rear end.

Angry player flash forward was even more intriguing than usual.

Oh, we're getting the German Genius early. :v: This auction is a cruel concept.

So when are they going to play Cosmic Encounter?

Everyone is figuring out the trickier interactions which is good. It means that there will be some interesting blocks during the race.

Everyone wants to use Delete in their favor.

Genius Christ, order of operations in Magic made more sense than this.

Oh god, I've had nightmares like like this with seven abilities interacting back and forth. I hope they have a computer programmed to manage the game off to one side.

I figured Union would be the one that would screw everything up, but I think it's too out of control to easily manipulate. You have to break up the crowd to stop this.

Oh, I missed that rest thing about Jump. Clever.

Some of these people need to be a bit more ruthless. It's a game. Yeonseung has the right attitude for this.

Return death match in episode three?! Too soon!

"He studied fake medicine, so it's not like he can do actual math." :pseudo:

Yongsuk is overspending on his victory. Looks like the doc realized that.

And Yongsuk just blew it on that last one. Can't say I'm sorry to see him go when he's made super-bad plays that blew games two episodes in a row.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lawyer Kang aka Yongsuk played pretty poorly in that death match I feel like. Using a 20 to start the game and just letting the other player stick you with a 20 point margin? Hmm. Then at the end he looked like he just gave up. With the margin what it was, he shouldn't have played 10 against the 0, and playing 27 when he went first was basically surrendering.

Eastern doctor guy played it pretty well but he's clearly something of an outcast in the group. I mean, we saw what happened to him this game, but even if you go back to the fruit stand game, there was that one guy who jumped to the watermelons and everyone agreed to let him win a bid to help him out, and nobody even told the doctor about it. He's got to hope he can get some sympathy collaboration going forward in exchange for what they did to him here, and that he does a good job with people so they'll not leave him out again in the future.

Jump got kind of screwed by that one card trick but that was a good catch by the KASIT guy. I was laughing when Kang was saying they didn't all need to team up against him the way they did, because dude, that's what you get for threatening everyone else the game before.

Ummm Hweejong seems to be slipping back into arrogance maybe?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

This episode lacked an 'aha' moment.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fast Luck posted:

Good. I want to see him slip further and further into Lion Mode as more and more people leave.

Wasn't expecting that deathmatch result, but I'm glad Yeonseung got a chance to prove himself, as he was the only one IMO that hadn't made any major game moves yet. Fine with Yongsuk leaving so I didn't have to see him turn into a player people would hate.

Also, something I didn't catch on to until now: They actually have a specified "dealer room" this season for secret ballots and role assignments. Good call to whoever designed the set.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
To be honest I thought this was a boring episode. I expected them to sabotage each other to get those black garnets. It didn't happen, the black garnets was low on the priority compared to cooperating to kill 1st and last places.

Fast Luck posted:

Eastern doctor guy played it pretty well but he's clearly something of an outcast in the group. I mean, we saw what happened to him this game, but even if you go back to the fruit stand game, there was that one guy who jumped to the watermelons and everyone agreed to let him win a bid to help him out, and nobody even told the doctor about it. He's got to hope he can get some sympathy collaboration going forward in exchange for what they did to him here, and that he does a good job with people so they'll not leave him out again in the future.
No you see, he made the girl cry! Seriously though, I feel bad for him. Even when he was totally in the right to let some steam off he apologized. :unsmith:

Fast Luck posted:

I think he was just happy! :haw:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Symbolic Butt posted:

To be honest I thought this was a boring episode. I expected them to sabotage each other to get those black garnets. It didn't happen, the black garnets was low on the priority compared to cooperating to kill 1st and last places.
After first and last place got decided, they did start fighting it out for second place and the black garnet.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Fast Luck posted:

After first and last place got decided, they did start fighting it out for second place and the black garnet.

Yeah but I mean, I expected them to create small factions to compete with conflicting plans about who they would push to get first and then immediately follow up to get second place.

Instead they just ganged up on Kang and doctor guy to make sure everyone just survived. Boring.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't think it was luck, it seemed to me that it was pretty clear that Kang wrote 11 on the board. And even if it wasn't all that clear, it fit his pattern.

Yeah, In fact I think the best thing that Yeonseung did to help himself was write the numbers out in text.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zythrst posted:

Yeah, In fact I think the best thing that Yeonseung did to help himself was write the numbers out in text.

Ah, yeah I didn't think of that, but that was a nice trick in the death match. Every little bit helps.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This game seems to be a lot more fun to play than actually watch. It's like Tactical Yutnori, but worse.

And if you ever want to play it while at an anime convention or something, you totes can! It's called Magical Athlete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah but I mean, I expected them to create small factions to compete with conflicting plans about who they would push to get first and then immediately follow up to get second place.

Instead they just ganged up on Kang and doctor guy to make sure everyone just survived. Boring.

Why would they put everyone at risk when they could just sink 2 guys guaranteed. This is a case of hate the game not the player.