Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

that second Mysticum album is finally coming out and there's a preview here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Is the new Mortuus album any good?

PS. Dark 4.19 is massive. So, so good. It's tiding me over nicely until the new Blut Aus Nord drops.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I'm gonna be putting out a black metal tape early next year if you dig some slowness with your fastness:

Deuil - Shock / Deny

https://deuil.bandcamp.com/album/shock-deny

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Volahn's putting out a new record this fall and the first track sounds fantastic.

https://crepusculonegro.bandcamp.com/track/halhi-kohba

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know if Satyricon's entire performance at the Oslo Opera was pro shot or was it just the Phoenix video? If it was all pro shot filmed where can you watch it? Is there a DVD or something? I'm a sucker for Satyricon and live BM. Thanks!

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

cf posted:

I'm gonna be putting out a black metal tape early next year if you dig some slowness with your fastness:

Deuil - Shock / Deny

https://deuil.bandcamp.com/album/shock-deny

These guys rule.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
I totally slept on Infestus' "The Reflecting Void" release. Hits the spot perfectly. It reminds me of a mix between Shining and (old) Katatonia or Opeth, without the constant whining of the former.
Any recommendations on similar bands and albums?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is so loving depressing.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

MoreMetalBrian posted:

I totally slept on Infestus' "The Reflecting Void" release. Hits the spot perfectly. It reminds me of a mix between Shining and (old) Katatonia or Opeth, without the constant whining of the former.
Any recommendations on similar bands and albums?

Infestus' previous album is great too, one of my favorites of 2011. I'd honestly have trouble thinking of bands that write such dense and moody but focused compositions... Spectral Lore, perhaps?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Probably more death metal, but whatever: There's a new Stargazer song here and it's really good: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/a-merging-to-the-boundless

Also I don't feel like this Entartung album has got the attention it deserves. Really good riffy German black metal. I reckon a lot of people here would like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbAnzfZQpY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A full song from this is out: https://soundcloud.com/agoniarecords/varathron-realm-of-obscure

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The new Blood Of Kingu is mindblowingly majestic, holy poo poo.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Random question, can anyone tell me who these two are, or what band they're from? Brother's in Norway right now, not sure where the photo is on display. We're having a tough time identifying it, though. He couldn't find any sort of label.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 24, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Two dudes from Helheim, I don't know their names

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
V'gandr and H'grimnir I think

...those loving names.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Ah, thanks to both of you.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Anyone have opinions on Spectral Lore's first two albums? III has been one of the year's standouts. Really dig the grand scale of the compositions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I liked the long ambient track on Sentinel, the actual black metal was okay too I guess.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
New preview track from Memoria Vetusta III.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

apophenium posted:

New preview track from Memoria Vetusta III.

The entire album has leaked and it's really drat good.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Look at these old farts.

I think I asked in this very thread about going to see Vulcano and Nifelheim a few years ago. Missed them that time but got another chance last night. Hell of a show from both of them, brutal.

Listened through Darkspace III I again, really good, gotta buy that poo poo.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, apparently this is happening next year...

Although, black metal is now prohibited in the southern US...

:black101:

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 13, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Not in the States, but I hope Watain sort out their live act before this show. The 2 most recent times I've seen them have been really disappointing, and they insist on playing loads of The Wild Hunt, which isn't great.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What does everyone think of this new Varathron song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn3B-ELFrdI&t=264s

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

A human heart posted:

What does everyone think of this new Varathron song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn3B-ELFrdI&t=264s

It's better than recent Rotting Christ albums and that's pretty much the only positive remark I can muster up

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Saturnian Poetry is absolutely fantastic, making the Memoria Vetusta-trilogy one of the best concepts in metal. I've got chills running down my spine from those glorious harmonies and unrelenting crescendos.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I guess I can't go see inquisition tonight now if it's banned :(

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
When I saw Watain at Summer Breeze I was front row and the vocalist came down and threw fuckin goats blood or some poo poo all over the front row. Luckily the guy to my immediate left took almost all of it. So yeah if you dont want a mysterious red, staining substance thrown all over your poo poo dont be front row at Watain.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

When I saw Watain at Summer Breeze I was front row and the vocalist came down and threw fuckin goats blood or some poo poo all over the front row. Luckily the guy to my immediate left took almost all of it. So yeah if you dont want a mysterious red, staining substance thrown all over your poo poo dont be front row at Watain.

uhhh that sounds cool, theres a local band here that throws blood at people and they own. I don't know why you'd be into black metal and then think that was bad, blood and gore at black metal shows should be the norm.

hungry_mantis
Nov 28, 2013
I remember watching an interview where Watain was upset because they couldn't get the blood they had arranged for their show that night, so they instead shot pigeons down and siphoned their blood so the show wouldn't be wasted. Dudes are pretty resourceful.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

when i went to see vassafor they got some dead rats out of boxes and hung them around the stage off hooks before playing, so for the rest of the night the smell of dead rats circulated around the room. cool gig

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
New poster in here. I have been exploring metal for about a year and so far have enjoyed Windir and Agalloch the most. Will report back later with more observations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

new mortuary drape album teaser thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JigDB1Innq8

nice audible bass

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
After seeing them live for the second time tonight, I'm now convinced that Vemod are one of the best live acts in black metal today. They are absolutely out of this world.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

A human heart posted:

uhhh that sounds cool, theres a local band here that throws blood at people and they own. I don't know why you'd be into black metal and then think that was bad, blood and gore at black metal shows should be the norm.

This is a sign that you take the genre too seriously.

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, apparently this is happening next year...

I know who Mayhem is, never heard of Revenge(?), and who's the third band?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metal Sonichu posted:

Watain

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Metal Sonichu posted:

Revenge is like the bestest Black Death beastial war metal out there

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

Revenge is like the bestest Black Death beastial war metal out there

Hardest band. Really tight live as well. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3vGsq8KYjg

ElectricWizard posted:

After seeing them live for the second time tonight, I'm now convinced that Vemod are one of the best live acts in black metal today. They are absolutely out of this world.

I could never get into their last album aside from the opening track really. Perhaps I shall revisit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
Hey, another new poster on this board.
Has anyone here ever been to Inferno Festival? I'm tentatively making plans to fly over next year (I'm in the UK.)
The bands announced so far:

Behemoth
Enslaved
My Dying Bride
SepticFlesh
Antichrist
Bloodbath
Mortuary Drape
Slagmaur
Dødsengel
Skeletonwitch
Svartidaudi
Ensiferum

Looks like I'll be going on my todd though, having no black metal fan buddies, so silently making GBS threads it haha.

Also wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Carach Angren? I've skimmed back as best I could but haven't seen any mention of them. I recently got introduced to their music via Tumblr (I know...) and a Dutch youtuber who made some glowing reviews of their albums. Currently got all three on constant rotation, looking forward to a tour near me soon.