Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would say that Sherlock pretty well flipped out. I don't know if it'll make him miss "the real Jack" or what, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.
We're nearing the end here, guys... but there's just enough time for another silly item quest! HOORAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJQPd9WdYE

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how every time there's a loading screen now, you two are hoping and praying that it is not that one picture.

Which, should a goon have too much time and money on their hands, be something that is "gifted" to you as an avatar.

Luckily for you, I am neither that directly malicious nor full of cash and time (also, I don't wanna look at it).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm so confused. Who's Joseph Levy? I thought we wanted Jacob Levy? So he moved out and some other guy who just HAPPENED to be a butcher as well moved into his house? And the kid has syphilis? I don't... what? Screw it, we deducted that the Ripper is short, ~32 and right handed (I think) with light/blond hair and an olive complexion, if memory serves. That sounds like this guy whose house we just visited. It's him, calling it.

Though that is not the face of syphilis, that's the face of a kid whose face is concave instead of convex. What the gently caress.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh man grand deduction finale! This is going to be pretty neat.

It's nice to have a character who knows what's going on even if I have no clue.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
Waaaiiitiiinnnggg...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wolvorine posted:

Waaaiiitiiinnnggg...

Their Twitter account mentions that they're going through some Life Stuff, so we may be waiting a bit.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

Their Twitter account mentions that they're going through some Life Stuff, so we may be waiting a bit.

Sorry guys, the finale is shot, it just needs to be edited. I know we're leaving you hanging!

And yes, our day jobs got pretty busy plus my grandmother died and last week was all visitation/funeral stuff for me.

BUT! I'm thinking the grand finale should be out sometime this week. Thanks for being patient and sticking around because we will be bringing this uterus-stealing madman to justice!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
poo poo... sorry about your grandma Megan. :(

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
My condolences.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Do what you gotta do. We can wait however long it takes for you to feel up to working on the LP.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Shei-kun posted:

Do what you gotta do. We can wait however long it takes for you to feel up to working on the LP.

Like these folk said already, my sympathies on your loss. Take your time, we'll still be waiting.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
God, I've just seen a bit of the new Sherlock Holmes game (Crime and Punishment), and had a eureka moment! :supaburn: So they tried to make Holmes more awesome by taking graphical elements from the series, but the core - adventure-style puzzles that have nothing to do with detective work - is the same. But the TV series is notable for trying to give us a glimpse into the mind of Holmes, namely his ability to notice stuff. So I thought it should be possible to make that a core gameplay element, by making everything interact-able on many levels. That's what Holmes is about - noticing every detail and having encyclopedic knowledge about those details. (Well, and deduction, but maybe that should be left for the player.) So instead of presenting the awesome stuff in cutscenes - that is, you click on a hotspot and Holmes pronounces his unexpected verdict - give the awesome abilities to the player. Click on the clothes of a character and (from Holmes's memory) you get the name of the fabric and the length of wear, then, if you wish, price, place where it's sold, etc. You bookmark the facts that seem pertinent, and kind of weave a web of deduction from your bookmarks. It would probably require a ton of writing to make that arrive to any conclusion, and I have difficulty right now seeing how useful it would be except for accosting random strangers and telling them that their jewelry is fake. But I think that would be much more Sherlock Holmes-like than what there is now. However, I'm not sure how feasible, reasonable, or playable that is. Thoughts?

Oh, I guess there's something like that in this Ripper game, with that clues board or whatever it's called where you have to choose what a fact means. But not taken far enough in my current opinion.

On the other hand, this idea is kind of worthless, because I'm not really a murder-mystery guy, and not attentive enough to do it justice. :shrug: Still, the question is open - is this crazy or genius?

P.S. I hope I don't come off like a heartless jerk in light of recent events. My condolences, OP. Your LP is pretty cool. :unsmith:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
That sounds like a really cool idea. So you'd be able to get more information from practically every item in the game than would appear at first glance, and it's up to the player to fit them together, sort what is pertinent from what isn't? The key would be keeping it on track; otherwise you go down a completely different line of reasoning than the game expects and dead-end because you've gotten some core idea incorrect and it's effected all your work.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Yep, and that's where I feel handicapped by my lack of experience in the mystery genre. But some passages from the original Sherlock Holmes books keep flashing in my mind, in particular conversations with Watson, and what stands out is that it's often only Watson's interpretations that are different, and only because of different information. How is he supposed to know that that's what a surgeon's hands look like, not a painter's, for example? Plus I seem to remember Holmes at some point saying that his deductions are completely logical and straightforward. (It may or may not be a later invention that I picked up.) Basically I think it boils down to "no adventure game logic". There's no figuring out what to do with the banana, you can just click it and it will tell you where it can fit.

At least that's how I see the solution right now, in the vague idea-guy way.

Or maybe I misinterpreted your idea. If you look at it from a different direction, going down to the dead ends and crossing them out is a part of Sherlock Holmes's method, isn't it? Of course, then the problem is how to make wasting time on a false lead fun.

drat, it still sounds kind of fun. I keep imagining a kind of free-roaming passerby-freak-out simulator. :allears:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I think that for this kind of thing, you'd want a more limited set of suspects, people you can interact with, and objects/crime scene stuff/evidence for precisely the reason you mention- no trying to figure out what to do with the banana, just knowing what there is to know about it. As you say, the issue is keeping people from spending too much time tracking/investigating wrong leads/paths and getting frustrated. Hence the need for less things that can be part of the mystery investigation. I agree with you that it should be logical, once one knows the circumstances and relevant things about the crime scenes and evidence.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I want to participate in the figuring-out of the interface, the logic, and gameplay, and testing the characters, locations, situations, and dialog for consistency and logic. Sign me up, Frogwares. :smuggo:

:cry:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Hmm, interesting. But tell me, prospective tester... how comfortable are you with uteri?

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Thanks for all the condolences, goons. You guys are pretty cool cats.

In better news, BRAND SPANKIN' NEW SHERLOCK FINALE IN THE NEXT 20 MINUTES! ARE YOU READY TO SOLVE TEH MURDERS/!?!?111!!?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
No! :ohdear:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Here it is, the FINALE episode!

And the Ripper is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBS-ecKQDTA

Thanks for coming on this ride with us, everybody! Are there any games that you'd like to see us play? Now taking requests for our next thread (assuming the game is available to LP as per SA rules)!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Well that was......Certainly an ending. As in, it definitely ended.

And I'm glad I got to point out the magnifying glass thing only three or four videos from the end. I kept expecting someone else to point it out and eventually I couldn't wait any longer :v:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Credits sorted by first name. :downsgun:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh boy, time to watch!

*one watch later*

Well that was total bullshit.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 20, 2014

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Fun Fact: The alleged Jack the Ripper in this game, Jacob Levy actually existed in real life and from what I could find, the man was committed to an insane asylum in 1890.

Here's a link to an article on the man himself and some accounts during the time of the Ripper: It's a bit of a curious read.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well. That was certainly a thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
ITS OVER.

I now submit that you go and have a nice picnic.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I wish more murder mysteries ended with interpretive dance. :magical:

Hearty congratulations to you guys for powering all the way through this insane, dull, fascinating, extended fetch quest. :golfclap:

As for the next game to LP, well, if you want something in a similar "mystery adventure" vein, maybe one of the Nancy Drew games? Though someone more well versed in the series than I am would have to recommend a specific entry.

e: Also looking at Frog Ware's website they have games from other series like Dracula: Origin and Journey to the Center of the Earth. You guys should check out their website to see if anything catches your eyes. I've never played any of them so I can't attest to how they play but one can assume at least a similar level of "quality" as SHvsJtR. Just be careful as it seems some of them are hidden object games NOT adventure games.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

When the killer stood up from his chair I had a sudden fear it was about to turn into Under The Skin ... sexy Sherlock slowly walks away... . Jack did turn out to be quite a mime, though. Leaned against the wall to write perfectly.

This was a really enjoyably LP; thanks for showing this off. Hope to see some more cats & mysteries some time soon!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Thanks for the LP, it's definitely a... game. I hope everyone understands that there's no actual malice involved, when I say I want to expose pretty much anyone to this series just to see what happens. I can understand if you don't want to approach Frogware products for a while.

It's nothing I don't do to myself, though. I just finished Crimes & Punishments, so here's a random rant about that game:

I can safely say that it's easily the best in the series, and can be unironically recommended for anyone who doesn't mind games that are heavy on story and light on gameplay.

Almost all of the pointless filler crap is just gone, and Sherlock actually investigates all day all the time. The only padding in the game is some forced traveling back and forth between areas, but this is offset quite a bit by the game giving you access to all the case notes and the deduction space during load screens. The game is a bit short, but if you'd actually remove all the stupid crap from Ripper, that game'd be even shorter. The most interesting mechanical changes borrow from L.A Noire. The game has interrogation sequences, and you can solve cases multiple ways, possibly resulting in the wrong suspect being condemned. However unlike Noire, the game always lets you try again if you fail, instead of shouting at the player and dumping them in the next case.

Some random additional observations:
  • There's less cats but more Toby, which I consider an acceptable trade. Some bees though.
  • Instead of doing stupid things in boring areas, you do actual investigating in beautiful meticulously detailed exciting areas. I mean, you can tell that this is designed to also run on Xbox 360 level hardware, but it still looks pretty goddamn amazing.
  • The logic puzzles are toned down a lot. I personally liked the tough puzzles from Testament, but I suspect a lot of the target audience won't miss them.
  • Watson has a very weak role, which is disappointing after him having a couple of amazing scenes in Testament. Holmes is properly bonkers.
  • You get to play Homes dress-up, and put funny hairdos and facial hair on him.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

StoryTime posted:

• You get to play Homes dress-up, and put funny hairdos and facial hair on him.

*money flies out of my wallet and into the computer*

For real, though, as low as the low points are in this game I did find the deduction parts intriguing so I'd actually be willing to buy a game that does what this game tries to do but much better. Thanks for the write up!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Reasons Game+ should LP Crimes & Punishments once it's LP-legal

Well, I think you know what to do in 3 months guys!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
He forgot the most important reason: Big Whirly

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Forgall posted:

He forgot the most important reason: Big Whirly

Well. I'm sold.

Also, if you're looking for other games to play, might I suggest taking a look at some Hidden Object games? They're pretty inexpensive and if they turn out to be your thing, quite fun. I would personally recommend Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek or 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek. Both are mystery-themed too continue on after Jack the Ripper.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You should LP Hypnosis

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/23617/hypnosis/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oql419xdMR8

Hypnosis

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

We are SO pumped to (hopefully) play the new Sherlock game when it's SA legal! Also checking out all your other suggestions, too.

For a special Halloween treat check out our channel where we play a spookyscary game because it's my favorite time of year and also it's cheap and easy to run.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for the intro to your final episode. That was pretty great.

I could... understand Sherlock not wanting to publicize this and whip everybody into a frenzy going after Jack's "accomplices". But the Baskerville thing was just bad form.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

So I just popped over to see if anyone had dibs on "Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments" only to see that the 3-month rule has been lifted!

Is anyone planning on doing this or have they already started? If not, we just got a PS4 and I'm ready to get back to sleuthin'!

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

gameplusmeagan posted:

So I just popped over to see if anyone had dibs on "Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments" only to see that the 3-month rule has been lifted!

Is anyone planning on doing this or have they already started? If not, we just got a PS4 and I'm ready to get back to sleuthin'!

Don't care about dibs, :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Atomikus posted:

Don't care about dibs, :justpost:

How inspiring! Indeed I shall!

• Locked thread