Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Giants are badass.

A lot of those might just be a matter of contrast with the other player though, especially the WNBA one. This is kind of the quintessential one everyone knows:

To be fair, Bogues is only 5'3"

ElGroucho posted:

If you are a giant and manage not to get pressured in to playing basketball, that's really more bad rear end to me than being custom built for a sport.
Yeah, especially because you still get those giants who are still so incompetent that being giants isn't enough for them to have a successful lucrative basketball career.
Sim Bhullar is the hilarious recent case off the top of my head. He's basically what happens if you magically made a goon not very into sports suddenly 7' 5".

And he's not in the best shape...

To add:

Salvador Allende's heroic/infamous final day.

The Persians and Romans had beef for a while, and to their credit, the Persians managed to pick off some pretty important Romans over the centuries...even capturing a Roman Emperor. This is Shapur's Triumph (of Hazing).

Or, if you prefer, the Humiliation of Valerian.

Emperor Valerian, captured after losing to the Sassanids in the Battle of Edessa.

quote:

Eutropius, writing between 364-378 CE, stated that Valerianus "was overthrown by Sapor king of Persia, and being soon after made prisoner, grew old in ignominious slavery among the Parthians.". An early Christian source, Lactantius, thought to be virulently anti-Persian, thanks to the occasional persecution of Christians by some Sasanian monarchs, maintained that for some time prior to his death Valerian was subjected to the greatest insults by his captors, such as being used as a human footstool by Shapur when mounting his horse. According to this version of events, after a long period of such treatment Valerian offered Shapur a huge ransom for his release. In reply, according to one version, Shapur was said to have forced Valerian to swallow molten gold (the other version of his death is almost the same but it says that Valerian was killed by being flayed alive) and then had the unfortunate Valerian skinned and his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy in the main Persian temple. It was further alleged that it was only after a later Persian defeat against Rome that his skin was given a cremation and burial.The captivity and death of Valerian has been frequently debated by historians without any definitive conclusion.
One modern scholar claims that, contrary to the account of Lactantius, Shapur I sent Valerian and some of his army to the city of Bishapur or Gundishapur where they lived in relatively good condition. Shapur used the remaining soldiers in engineering and development plans. Band-e Kaisar (Caesar's dam) is one of the remnants of Roman engineering located near the ancient city of Susa. In all the stone carvings on Naghshe-Rostam, in Iran, Valerian is represented holding hands with Shapur I, a sign of submission.
Basically the giant monument the Sassanid Persian King Shapur the Great carved into a mountain to forever (here's hoping) memorialize how much of a bully he was to captured Roman Emperors. :(
300 this! :argh:

Saw it in person in the desert and snapped a pic of it, actually, it's pretty badass.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What it looks like to be an eagle flying above Paris and coming in to land:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

A lot of those might just be a matter of contrast with the other player though, especially the WNBA one. This is kind of the quintessential one everyone knows:

To be fair, Bogues is only 5'3"

Most pictures of Manute Bol tend to look pretty creepy. I think it's because he's super skinny in addition to being super tall.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bolaji Badejo was a mere 7ft 2 inches tall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its a Ningen!

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Ningen

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

^ This guy is driving flying this v right?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Although I know it's coming off the jump, and firing in midair. It almost looks like the recoil has propelled it backwards off the ground, as if the world was suddenly using a third-rate physics engine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

a kitten posted:

Although I know it's coming off the jump, and firing in midair. It almost looks like the recoil has propelled it backwards off the ground, as if the world was suddenly using a third-rate physics engine.

Or that Battlefield 2 mod with the machinegun that had enough recoil that you could use it as a jetpack like in Cave Story. I also remember it having a sniper rifle that shot crates.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a photo of 58 year old Parliamentary sergeant-at-arms (which is a largely ceremonial role) Kevin Vickers returning to work today after he confronted and shot dead the Ottawa shooter. When Vickers heard the shots he immediately went to his office, retrieved his side arm and confronted the gunman. After the shooting he went back to his office to reload his gun in case there were other attackers on the premises and he then went and informed the Prime Minister “I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased."

And then he turned up to work the next day as he had every day for the last 8 years.

You can see the strain on his face. In the video he looks visibly shaken but he doesn't miss a fuckin' step.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or that Battlefield 2 mod with the machinegun that had enough recoil that you could use it as a jetpack like in Cave Story. I also remember it having a sniper rifle that shot crates.

That sounds fitting considering airdropped supply crates were the fear of snipers everywhere in that game.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a photo of 58 year old Parliamentary sergeant-at-arms (which is a largely ceremonial role) Kevin Vickers returning to work today after he confronted and shot dead the Ottawa shooter. When Vickers heard the shots he immediately went to his office, retrieved his side arm and confronted the gunman. After the shooting he went back to his office to reload his gun in case there were other attackers on the premises and he then went and informed the Prime Minister “I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased."

And then he turned up to work the next day as he had every day for the last 8 years.

You can see the strain on his face. In the video he looks visibly shaken but he doesn't miss a fuckin' step.

dude is already a badass for sure, but it would have been sweet if he just clobbered the dude with that giant gilded cudgel

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Radio Help posted:

dude is already a badass for sure, but it would have been sweet if he just clobbered the dude with that giant gilded cudgel

The People's Mace™ is reserved for strictly ceremonial purposes.

And oh boy did the best part get left out. Here is an account of how Vickers took down this m'fucker.

quote:

Vickers — whose office is about six metres away from those doors, according to The Globe and Mail — reportedly grabbed his automatic pistol and ran toward the pillar, propping himself up against the opposite side.

The two were so close that Vickers, 58, could see the barrel of Zehaf Bibeau's gun "sticking out from behind the pillar," according to CBC sources.

"Kevin Vickers takes his sidearm, dives around the pillar to the ground," Solomon said. "While he's in the air he spins to land on his back, firing upwards at Bibeau, hitting Bibeau as he himself hits the ground."

Once the gunman was down, Solomon said, Vickers continued firing, "emptying his entire clip."

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

JoelJoel posted:

The People's Mace™ is reserved for strictly ceremonial purposes.

And oh boy did the best part get left out. Here is an account of how Vickers took down this m'fucker.

That's some real life John Wu poo poo right there.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Crocuta posted:

That's some real life John Wu poo poo right there.

But on the real, a law enforcement agent with near 40 years of experience and never having to fire his gun, and then using it exactly how he needed to exactly when he needed to is extremely impressive.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

This guy is the best. Any good stories on him?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

If you haven't spotted the sniper by the time you've read this, you are already dead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

If you haven't spotted the sniper by the time you've read this, you are already dead.

Fat chance. He's not even aiming at me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fat chance. He's not even aiming at me.
Yeah, but the other two are.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

:aaaaa:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

I see one for sure, and I think I see two, where is three? By one?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Frostwerks posted:

I see one for sure, and I think I see two, where is three? By one?

I saw all five right away. I'm still alive :colbert:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Are you guys blind? there's at least 6 of them

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I can't spot the rock in that pile of snipers picture. Can someone red-circle it or something?

Hellbeard has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Hellbeard posted:

I can't spot the rock in that pile of snipers picture. Can someone red-circle it or something?

Thats the only one's i can see.. I think there is the sniper and the spotter in the red circle

.... Also i am an idiot i didn't read the exact words of your post before pressing enter.. Either way For anyone who can't see the sniper.. There is the sniper in the rocks

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Zyntherius posted:

Thats the only one's i can see.. I think there is the sniper and the spotter in the red circle

.... Also i am an idiot i didn't read the exact words of your post before pressing enter.. Either way For anyone who can't see the sniper.. There is the sniper in the rocks

That's just a rock shaped sniper.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Say Nothing posted:

Clever girl...

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Is this from some sci-fi game or an actual Russian prototype tank design?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tracula posted:

I don't think a real tank design would have giant axe blades on the front. That's a bit gratuitous when you're already running something over with a tank.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I saw them as some kind of ice breaker/plow.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Clinton1011 posted:

I saw them as some kind of ice breaker/plow.

Yeah, this. And Russia has had some even crazier tank prototype tanks than that picture, hence the question.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Yeah, this. And Russia has had some even crazier tank prototype tanks than that picture, hence the question.

After the resurgence of the orthodox church and homophobia they're mostly strapping heebie-gbs to the front of their tanks.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tracula posted:

It's concept art from Red Alert 2.

E: Trying to find that tank that was like 3 T-34s attached front to back with three turrets and a katyusha rack on it now.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

After the resurgence of the orthodox church and homophobia they're mostly strapping heebie-gbs to the front of their tanks.

:golfclap:

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Trying to find that tank that was like 3 T-34s attached front to back with three turrets and a katyusha rack on it now.

Also found this clown car:

Mr. Sunshine has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 6, 2014