Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mischitary posted:

I actually think Nomura made an outfit with as much weird poo poo as possible so that he could see if they'd be able to model it in-game properly. Yes, I'm completely serious. Also, I think that Nomura seems to enjoy the challenge of making absurdly complicated characters with tiny details all over the place.

IIRC, that was the logic behind Lulu's belt dress - his challenge to the FMV staff. They responded by either having her remain static, or framing above her waist when she moved :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mischitary posted:

One of the best designs in the series, I think. I really like it. I like how it incorporates some elements of Tidus's design.

I think it's got a good base but way too much poo poo (surprise surprise). Basically, remove the half-dress and the super weird ponytail and it's good. Maybe add some other more sensible garment on the lower body if you don't want just the short shorts. Also, the cleavage window with the symbol is kind of stupid. But, you will notice there is only one belt, which even has a pouch on it, and no zippers!

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I think it's got a good base but way too much poo poo (surprise surprise). Basically, remove the half-dress and the super weird ponytail and it's good. Maybe add some other more sensible garment on the lower body if you don't want just the short shorts. Also, the cleavage window with the symbol is kind of stupid. But, you will notice there is only one belt, which even has a pouch on it, and no zippers!

Yeah but that's the thing though. Of course it has too much poo poo, they all do. I actually like the half-dress. But then again I'm generally a fan of Tetsuya Nomura's designs so it's obvious that over designed outfits don't bother me as much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

QuestionYourWorld posted:

Seeing the posts here

Everyone's opinions in this thread are complete garbage, please do not take them seriously.

EDIT: Okay, that's a lie, ImpAtom is cool.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 19, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also FF9 is one of the best games ever made and FF10 and FF10-2 are also pretty cool.

FF4, 5, and 6 are all good too.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

Everyone's opinions in this thread are complete garbage, please do not take them seriously.

hey

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't sell yourself short, man. :frogbon:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII is a pretty good game. I'm doing a replay of it right now with a mod and it's a lot of fun. This is the first full run of the game I've done in....I dunno, almost a decade. I remembered some awesome tracks I had actually forgotten, like Judgment Day. The Northern Crater isn't much in terms of final dungeon but man I love that song. The mod also lets you keep the Field Music playing during random battles so it's really atmospheric ya know? You hear this all the time instead of having it broken up by the battle theme and stuff.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Every poster is the worst poster in the thread.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII is a pretty good game. I'm doing a replay of it right now with a mod and it's a lot of fun. This is the first full run of the game I've done in....I dunno, almost a decade. I remembered some awesome tracks I had actually forgotten, like Judgment Day. The Northern Crater isn't much in terms of final dungeon but man I love that song. The mod also lets you keep the Field Music playing during random battles so it's really atmospheric ya know? You hear this all the time instead of having it broken up by the battle theme and stuff.

Sounds like fighting the Weapons in the overworld would be really anticlimatic.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Krad posted:

You say that like they were particularly exciting fights in the first place, assuming you're talking about Diamond and Ultimate.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Krad posted:

I think he's talking about the New Threat mod (which is super super good, making the game difficult enough to make the battles interesting and let you have fun with the systems but not so nuts that it's super time consuming trial and error), and if so it only clips the music for random encounters. Boss fights keep their own tracks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well the World Map battles still use the regular battle theme, it's just dungeons where you can have the dungeon theme continue playing through battles.
Which is good because the Temple of the Ancients' Theme is one of the best dungeon themes in any FF game. I love it so much.

And yeah I am talking about the NT Mod. It's awesome. I regularly talk with the guy who made it on Qhimm Forums and he helps me out pretty much everyday. I even got some weird glitch where Aerith's sidequest won't trigger so he's gonna make a patch for me. That alone is enought o motivate me to try and beat everything in this game as a way of saying thank you to him for his dedication and constantly putting up with me sucking at this game.

Did you play NT recently? It seems to be quite different. I saw vids on YouTube that were not at all like what I'm playing for example. Sephiroth and Jenova WAR had no "backup" for instance. I can't even imagine trying that fight without the assistance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ImBdAUOcs

This guy makes it look so easy that I really feel like poo poo. But man he has way more Limit and higher level everything than I did at that point.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 19, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Her entire plot exists for like two scenes, so at least it's not annoying.

On that note, was FF9 rushed to get released? I mean, the game still ended up being fantastic but Amarant and Freya's characters kind of went nowhere and it feels like more was planned for them. Were they originally going to have more stuff to do or were they just made because they needed a dragoon and a monk?

Pretty much every Final Fantasy includes at least a few characters that have their own little arcs, and then fall into complete irrelevance. I think it's a testament to how well FF9 handles its characters and keeps most of them so involved that Freya and Amarant even stick out at all. The general pacing, the way cutscenes are handled, and the quick time events everywhere really do an excellent job of making everyone feel like a real character with their own life and interests, rather than [Party Member #6: Proceed to the party selection menu and await further orders]. So when Freya and Amarant get less attention, it feels really jarring. The way they were handled wouldn't seem out of place at all in any other game in the series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They are much better than say, Kimarhi or Penelo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I wish they had done more with Penelo and Vaan. Vaan gets some stuff, I suppose, but Penelo's, what, 17 years old and (essentially) fighting in a war? What's that like? How does it make her feel? What motivates her to keep going in spite of what she's witnessing? It's a thoroughly missed opportunity.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Help Im Alive posted:

Tidus is ok but his outfit is probably one of the worst in the series. What were they even thinking

I recall reading somewhere (I think it was in the Dark Id's FFX LP) that the original concept for Tidus was that he was gonna be some kind of maintenance worker in Zanarkand before being swept off into Spira. That's why he's got those weird-rear end coveralls. I guess Nomura designed him with that in mind, and later on when they changed the script so that he was an underwater soccer/rugby superstar, they just didn't bother giving him a uniform that matched the rest of his team's because :effort:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

I wish they had done more with Penelo and Vaan. Vaan gets some stuff, I suppose, but Penelo's, what, 17 years old and (essentially) fighting in a war? What's that like? How does it make her feel? What motivates her to keep going in spite of what she's witnessing? It's a thoroughly missed opportunity.

Good.

Look, I understand what you're saying, but the worst scene in any JRPG involves the youngest girl in the party. XII skipping that scene entirely is only a good thing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

W.T. Fits posted:

I recall reading somewhere (I think it was in the Dark Id's FFX LP) that the original concept for Tidus was that he was gonna be some kind of maintenance worker in Zanarkand before being swept off into Spira. That's why he's got those weird-rear end coveralls. I guess Nomura designed him with that in mind, and later on when they changed the script so that he was an underwater soccer/rugby superstar, they just didn't bother giving him a uniform that matched the rest of his team's because :effort:

Aw, that would've been cool to have him a maintenance dude. Then he could lament about how much better his father was at unclogging toilets and he could never master the Jecht Buffing Blast.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Vermain posted:

You know what was a missed opportunity with Penello? Her being kind of friends with the current emperor's little brother. Now that was an interesting plot thread that went nowhere.

W.T. Fits posted:

I am ready to play FF XVI: The Janitor Adventures.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you play NT recently? It seems to be quite different. I saw vids on YouTube that were not at all like what I'm playing for example. Sephiroth and Jenova WAR had no "backup" for instance. I can't even imagine trying that fight without the assistance....

I'm playing through it for the first time now, and I'm not that far yet - just finishing Midgar. I'm ridiculously impressed so far, though. Equipment not being straight upgrades and the much hardier/deadlier bosses really have me thinking about my loadout, but it's not so difficult that cautious setups and good awareness once a fight starts won't let you win the first time.

The only complaint I have is that damage output is high enough that you really need to keep everyone in the back row and under Sadness, which considering how vital it is probably would have been better just being removed entirely so it wasn't necessary to balance around.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Really? I recall that from the beginning the archetype for Tidus's character was being a sort of sports celebrity. I think there was an interview where Nomura basically said that all the information he was given about the character was basically "he's a famous athlete and he has a cheery disposition". I suppose there was a very, very, very early stage of FFX (akin to the New York gumshoe stage of FF7) where Tidus was supposed to be a maintenance worker. Maybe his outfit is a sort of homage to his earlier occupation by the guys working on the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The original idea was going to be that Tidus was a maintance worker who fought underwater fiends and acts like a standoffish Japanese teenage punk. They changed this because they wanted to have a 'sunnier' character after Squall and Cloud. (FFIX was being worked on by a different team.) He also was going to have black hair and be the unsent of the gang, not Auron.

The cheerful bright happy Tidus was always a sports star.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

The original idea was going to be that Tidus was a maintance worker who fought underwater fiends and acts like a standoffish Japanese teenage punk. They changed this because they wanted to have a 'sunnier' character after Squall and Cloud. (FFIX was being worked on by a different team.) He also was going to have black hair and be the unsent of the gang, not Auron.

The cheerful bright happy Tidus was always a sports star.

Never knew that he was a maintananc worker. I knew about the black hair though, and the unsent thing though.

Related:

And entirely unrelated, I've only now just noticed that Tidus' house has a washing machine in it.

Just a weird little mundane thing, in the middle of all this fantasy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

He should have been a pizza boy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the dude on the right's design.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

I like the dude on the right's design.

proto-type Auron i think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

proto-type Auron i think
Proto-Auron is my stoner roommate from college?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Punk rear end maintenance worker Tidus sounds awesome and I wish the game was that instead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can his partner be a Flanitor??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ReWinter posted:

I'm playing through it for the first time now, and I'm not that far yet - just finishing Midgar. I'm ridiculously impressed so far, though. Equipment not being straight upgrades and the much hardier/deadlier bosses really have me thinking about my loadout, but it's not so difficult that cautious setups and good awareness once a fight starts won't let you win the first time.

The only complaint I have is that damage output is high enough that you really need to keep everyone in the back row and under Sadness, which considering how vital it is probably would have been better just being removed entirely so it wasn't necessary to balance around.

Oh wow, you got a lot more to do then. For whenever you get to the end, once you reach the bottom of North Crater, Cloud gets a phone call that notifies him of new unlocked optional bosses and sidequests to unlock the Level 4 Limits. Also each of the special Materias in the Cave, like Mega-All and such, have bosses guarding them now. You can get several Triple AP Weapons in the Gelnika (the sunken ship). I'm not sure where they all are but I got Guard Stick and Rising Sun there and my part is Cloud/Aerith/Yuffie so that worked out. There are these monsters called Movers I think that give like 15,000 AP in the Northern Crater so have Triple AP on when you fight them and it won't be very long before you Master anything you have on those weapons.

Finally, I found a lot of bosses to be "First Run Failures" where you go into them expecting to lose but it's how you learn what they are weak to and what doesn't work. You go in there, use Sense, and resign yourself to defeat and get ready to prepare your Materia setup better next time. Oh and in the Temple of the Ancients, you will get a Gil Plus Materia which I loved because gently caress this game was horrible for money for the entire first disk. I was constantly broke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Punk rear end maintenance worker Tidus sounds awesome and I wish the game was that instead.

Based on what they said, it was less "Kanji from Persona 4" and more "giant standoffish rear end in a top hat" so it probably wouldn't have been that fun in context.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Based on what they said, it was less "Kanji from Persona 4" and more "giant standoffish rear end in a top hat" so it probably wouldn't have been that fun in context.

but it worked so well for Squall

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

FFX where Kanji gets sucked into Spira would be really really good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Help Im Alive posted:

Tidus is ok but his outfit is probably one of the worst in the series. What were they even thinking

What's it like being objectively wrong to such an incredible extent?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. Regardless of how poorly Tidus may have been received, the main guys working on FFX last worked on FFVIII so I could see why they went the direction they did.

I would actually really love to hear about the development of Final Fantasy games. I mean like really in-depth. Stuff like FFVII starting out as a detective story in New York City is insane. That one might have had a more tumultuous development because it was the first 3D one but I'm sure others also have crazy stories like that.

Mister Adequate posted:

What's it like being objectively wrong to such an incredible extent?

Tidus in the original PS2 version looked incredibly goofy but was sort of endearing. Not the CG version, though. And because of this the goofy clothes he wears don't really stick out as much to me.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Leper Residue posted:

Aw, that would've been cool to have him a maintenance dude. Then he could lament about how much better his father was at unclogging toilets and he could never master the Jecht Buffing Blast.

Replace Jecht with Mario, but keep his personality the same. Tidus' dad Mario is an emotionally abusive neglectful rear end in a top hat, constantly telling his son he'll never be the plumber his old man is. Until one day Mario disappears down a pipe and ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom...

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Fister Roboto posted:

He should have been a pizza boy.

"Hello? Pizza delivery for, uh... Seymour Asses? Aw, crud. I always thought that at this point in my life I'd be one making the crank spherecalls."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I actually thought he was voiced by Billy West when I first played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I ended up playing Final Fantasy 1 PSX because I didn't feel like bringing back my PSP, and they didn't have the PSP version on the Vita shop. To my surprise, this game is actually... good. I'm legitimately addicted. I mean, it doesn't have a particularly unique system, but it's tried and true, plus it's thirty years old any way. My main beefs are that saving is dumb, since you have to sleep at an inn or use a tent or cottage to do so, and the random encounters are a tad high. But at there very least I'm actually enjoying myself. And the character designs aren't awful.