Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Because in 2014 we call window managers "Desktop Environments"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

That was directed at stebe man, guy holding an envelope, and pram. Not at you, BSD.

Ya ok One Linux Per Brazilian

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zombywuf posted:

Because in 2014 we call window managers "Desktop Environments"

a desktop environment is just a window manager with an unusual ipc mechanism nobody uses

cde: tooltalk
gnome: dbus
kde: dcop
e17: eet
xfce: rocks thrown at your window

pram
Jun 10, 2001
named pipes should be enough for anybody

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

solaris 'doors' should be enough for anybody

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

More and more are starting to use traditional desktop environments.

would you say that soon it will be the year of linux on their desktops

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a desktop environment is just a window manager with an unusual ipc mechanism nobody uses

enlightenment is so cool they used it for refridgerators

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
who needs a desktop environment? a simple wm is quite adequate for most linux purposes, it doesn't take a point and drool gnome to flip between xterms and emacs frames

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i3: some json thing over a socket

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3.14 trip report -- it sucks. if this had been 3.00 beta release #1, this would be ok. but it's the eighth stable release after three years, and tons of poo poo doesn't work

backstory: i bought one of those windows 8 convertible laptop/tablet doohickeys. in "tablet" mode it has a windows key, a volume up, and a volume down, and that's it.

gnome 3.14 on fedora 21 successfully configures the touchscreen as a multitouch absolute-positioning mouse. so far so good.

upgrading to gnome 3.14 gets me the onscreen keyboard automatically in most of the right places most of the time. but only in gtk 3 applications. if you want to run an application that isn't gnome 3 native, you are screwed. notably firefox and chrome are not gtk3

if the automatic launch isn't working, there is no way to manually launch the on-screen keyboard w/out having a keyboard already. you have to bind a keyboard shortcut to open it. i said, "ok, that's dumb, but ok" and attempted to bind it to the windows key. no dice. gnome 3 will not allow you to use a modifier key as a keybinding alone.

so i decided to give up on actual good web browsers and try the shitbucket that comes with gnome 3: epiphany. to my delight, epiphany does in fact support autoloading the on-screen keyboard like other gnome 3 native apps. unfortunately typing into the url bar immediately breaks because the autocomplete box pops up over top of the on-screen keyboard

it is really, really obvious that nobody ever tried this on a tablet, not even once

it is rough around the edges even by open sores standards. basic features do not work, the things that do work do not work consistently (i often clicked in a text field and got no keyboard, only to repeat and get the keyboard back)
Hey you should try Ubuntu Unity it was designed for tablets

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Hey you should try Ubuntu Unity it was designed for tablets

lmao

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3.14 trip report -- it sucks. if this had been 3.00 beta release #1, this would be ok. but it's the eighth stable release after three years, and tons of poo poo doesn't work

actually its really good

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

backstory: i bought one of those windows 8 convertible laptop/tablet doohickeys. in "tablet" mode it has a windows key, a volume up, and a volume down, and that's it.

same except work provided

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

upgrading to gnome 3.14 gets me the onscreen keyboard automatically in most of the right places most of the time. but only in gtk 3 applications. if you want to run an application that isn't gnome 3 native, you are screwed. notably firefox and chrome are not gtk3

lol why would you use non-gtk3 software

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if the automatic launch isn't working, there is no way to manually launch the on-screen keyboard w/out having a keyboard already. you have to bind a keyboard shortcut to open it. i said, "ok, that's dumb, but ok" and attempted to bind it to the windows key. no dice. gnome 3 will not allow you to use a modifier key as a keybinding alone.

system settings > universal access > set screen keyboard to on. or, set "always show universal access menu" to on and then its right there with the indicators

but again it works fine for gtk3 apps and why would you ever use desktop linux with non-gtk3 apps

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so i decided to give up on actual good web browsers and try the shitbucket that comes with gnome 3: epiphany. to my delight, epiphany does in fact support autoloading the on-screen keyboard like other gnome 3 native apps. unfortunately typing into the url bar immediately breaks because the autocomplete box pops up over top of the on-screen keyboard

it is really, really obvious that nobody ever tried this on a tablet, not even once

cool so did you submit a bug or are you just going to bitch about it here

epiphany is surprisingly good and the "save as web application" feature is a really great way to app-ify twitter, facebook and other web garbage

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is rough around the edges even by open sores standards. basic features do not work, the things that do work do not work consistently (i often clicked in a text field and got no keyboard, only to repeat and get the keyboard back)

its actually really great, the theme is heavily improved, and the already good performance is even better. i can even switch workspaces and activate the overview while running a fullscreen steam game

year of the linux desktop has arrived

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's obviously dogshit for idiots on my desktop with a 27" monitor and gobs of screenspace, none of the ui metaphors work when your mouse has to cross two feet to hit a 'hot corner' or whatever.

have you heard of the super key

when you want to launch something, your hands are already on the keyboard because you're about the type the app name into the search box, so press the super key

when you want to app/workspace switch through the overview, your one hand is on the keyboard and your other is on the mouse, you can do either the hot corner bump or the super key

but okay forget all that, i'm on a 24" monitor at 1080p and even from the complete opposite corner of the screen, getting to the overview with the mouse is as difficult as a slightly exaggerated flick of the wrist

basically you're a "power user" and all of this :siren: my workflow :siren: crybaby poo poo isn't impressing anyone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

system settings > universal access > set screen keyboard to on. or, set "always show universal access menu" to on and then its right there with the indicators

i tried this but it didn't help.

it adds a completely useless toggle. when set to 'on' it doesn't actually force the onscreen keyboard to come up. when set to 'off,' it just suppresses the OSK when it would otherwise work i.e. in gtk 3 applications

cool so did you submit a bug or are you just going to bitch about it here

the last time i filed a bug on gnome 3 i got no response whatsoever. it got fixed by accident years later.

i'm not gonna waste my time again. i'll just bitch here

epiphany is surprisingly good and the "save as web application" feature is a really great way to app-ify twitter, facebook and other web garbage

a.) it's not good, i literally used it for <10 seconds before hitting a showstopper bug

b.) its goodness doesn't really matter. it's not firefox and it's not chrome, so nobody writes extensions for it, websites aren't designed for it, and IT won't support you. it could be god's gift to web browsers and it still wouldn't be useful

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

lol why would you use non-gtk3 software
why would you ever not? literally no good or popular software uses gtk3.

(well, I guess emacs can be built to, but the other options are all better.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

why would you ever not? literally no good or popular software uses gtk3.

(well, I guess emacs can be built to, but the other options are all better.)

gtk3 is the default for emacs now. so it's the best-tested and most-featureful config

it is literally the only gtk3 application i use, everything else is still on gtk2 or migrating off of gtk entirely.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you're curious, the OSK not showing up on non-GTK3 apps is really hard to do technically, because there's really no API for knowing when a text entry became focused in X11. Outside of the crazy input modules stack, that is. We're getting that working, though it's killing our sanity.

No, nobody ever tested GNOME3 on a tablet, you're absolutely right about that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you're curious, the OSK not showing up on non-GTK3 apps is really hard to do technically, because there's really no API for knowing when a text entry became focused in X11. Outside of the crazy input modules stack, that is. We're getting that working, though it's killing our sanity.

yeah i did not expect it to work automatically on text-field-focus in non-native applications, that would be pure loving magic. i just expected a way to turn it on and off manually, and gnome 3 does not currently provide that.

oval office and paste is a good example of the attitude that produced gnome 3: who cares about your expectations, gently caress your workflow, gently caress your actual browser you need for work. our way is better

it's an attitude that does not survive contact with real users. who are not gonna use your toy browser. who are gonna expect kde customizations from 1998. who will probably try to script your interface w/ shell.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

lol linux yosposters pretending they know better than shell designers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol linux yosposters pretending they know better than shell designers

yeah the problem is that apparently i do know better

that's bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
incidentally there is one great thing in gnome 3.14: the new default gtk3 theme is rly pretty

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah the problem is that apparently i do know better

that's bad

Fig. 1, Users are idiots.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress your workflow, gently caress your actual browser you need for work. our way is better

it's an attitude that does not survive contact with real users. who are not gonna use your toy browser. who are gonna expect kde customizations from 1998. who will probably try to script your interface w/ shell.

actually it does work for the overwhelming majority of computer users. it may not work for autistic linux neckbeards, but you will never be happy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i did not expect it to work automatically on text-field-focus in non-native applications, that would be pure loving magic. i just expected a way to turn it on and off manually, and gnome 3 does not currently provide that.

Yeah, that sucks, I agree. I'll see if I can come up with a workaround to show/hide the keyboard manually.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol unironic epiphany advocacy :eyepop:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't understand Epiphany either. It just tends to crash and do weird things for me. I use a combination of Firefox / Chrome for anything real.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

actually it does work for the overwhelming majority of computer users. it may not work for autistic linux neckbeards, but you will never be happy.

autistic linux neckbeards are a huge chunk of the audience for a linux desktop environment

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

autistic linux neckbeards are a huge chunk of the audience for a linux desktop environment

:theproblem:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, I don't understand Epiphany either. It just tends to crash and do weird things for me. I use a combination of Firefox / Chrome for anything real.

i understand the urge to ship a web browser. the browser is the most-used application and of course people working on a distinct design concept and user interface are gonna want to try to control that experience, too

i understand the impulse. it's just doomed to failure. :smith:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

funy computar

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
funy lunix

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

theres nothing funny about linux use. its a cry for help.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

:theproblem:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I put the new gnomes on my Chromebook and it works pretty good. That's my review, hope you enjoyed it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sauer posted:

I put the new gnomes on my Chromebook and it works pretty good. That's my review, hope you enjoyed it.

i didnt

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I was thinking of maybe possibly trying gnome 3 again but this thread has warned me off of it thanks yospos.

Mate suiting the hell out of my needs.

e: KDE 5 looking slick maybe in 10 years it'll be usable.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you're curious, the OSK not showing up on non-GTK3 apps is really hard to do technically, because there's really no API for knowing when a text entry became focused in X11.

that's because that would be "policy" and X-Windows is all about "mechanism, not policy"

which is why X-Windows has been poo poo longer than some of you kids have been alive, and will forever be poo poo, and cannot be cleansed from this earth soon enough

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

autistic linux neckbeards are the only audience for a linux desktop environment

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i understand the urge to ship a web browser.

haiku ships a web browser and it actually works

of course 99% of that is because it's WebKit based but the other 1% is because haiku is actually willing to make reasonable decisions about interface instead of leave them up to each developer

by "make decisions" I really mean "ask themselves 'what would Be have done in early 1996?' and then do that" but that's still a better decision process than any X-Windows based user environment has ever used. which is why haiku managed to build a system from scratch that's 100x as usable in a fraction the time with a fraction the resources (seriously, give the latest nightly a try in a VM, it's like a 256MB bootable image)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sauer posted:

you must have very low standards