Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm more confused now than I am during a DaF meltdown night.

I think I figured out why he's getting an f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

You can try asking, but web design (and/or computer science) may just not be cut out for you. What exactly is the problem?

Dilbert as gently caress isn't cut out for it either but bless his little heart he keeps trying.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

Dilbert as gently caress isn't cut out for it either but bless his little heart he keeps trying.

As far as I know, Dilbert does neither CS nor web design. The skills needed for administration are just as arcane, but still different

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Grouchio posted:

My Assignment (Image Demonstration): (Example page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/demopages/images.pdf

(Evalutation Page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zanerj/281/admin/demospecs.htm

Due Date: Tuesday Night.

My Average Grade in this class: F

What I currently have: file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html (search the link)

My amount of patience: Long gone.

Ian.

Ian.

The click click of the lobster's claws, high in their perches in the maple trees are calling, Ian. Darkness nears; syrup-drunk moose stagger in blueberry bogs, pursued by moon-mad malamutes. You will find no shelter in server-side includes and no warmth in coffee brandy. Garb yourself in Bean, head with the masses to the drowned coast and pray to lose yourself in the masses so when it comes it sates itself on them before it reaches you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Well this is a strange thread. Now who's Dilbert? (It can't be that comic guy)

@PCjr what do you have against maine? Nevermind that, what are you trying to say?

@Evol262: I don't know half of what I'm exactly doing, I can never catch up to the rapid lecture material, and I could care less about making websites. I'm just trying to learn programming skills to get into things like CIA analysis, and I've been slaving over this since Thursday after I flunked a test for getting one part of image link-coding wrong!

To be more specific, I'm currently trying to get up an example thumbnail and background image before figuring out how to add a footer and two sides. And then dread the next big, confusing assignment that will be due in three weeks in an endless cycle of torture.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Well this is a strange thread. Now who's Dilbert? (It can't be that comic guy)

@PCjr what do you have against maine? Nevermind that, what are you trying to say?

@Evol262: I don't know half of what I'm exactly doing, I can never catch up to the rapid lecture material, and I could care less about making websites. I'm just trying to learn programming skills to get into things like CIA analysis, and I've been slaving over this since Thursday after I flunked a test for getting one part of image link-coding wrong!

To be more specific, I'm currently trying to get up an example thumbnail and background image before figuring out how to add a footer and two sides. And then dread the next big, confusing assignment that will be due in three weeks in an endless cycle of torture.

Take your current html and paste it into pastebin then link us that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're having issues with basic web design, something tells me your not cut out for the world of CIA Analysis.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Speaking of, did you guys every play on those sites that taught you how to 'hack' by looking through the HTML and page references trying to find the next set of credentials or whatever that allow you to progress? I just searched it and found https://www.try2hack.nl so I guess I know what I'm doing during coffee time tomorrow morning.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grouchio posted:

If you failed a test for getting one small part wrong, I'd appeal to the department chair or dean.

Computers are rapid. If you don't understand the material now, it's only going to get worse. Utilize office hours or get a tutor.

Grouchio posted:

Post the HTML. But HTML should not be this hard. And something you like shouldn't be "torture". If you don't like it and you're not good at it, how do you expect to do it for 40 years?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

jaegerx posted:

Take your current html and paste it into pastebin then link us that.

Does this work? EDIT: Wait no it doesn't.

file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html

...What if you put it in the search engine? I reached it from there.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't think CIA Analysts do very much CSS writing.

Grouchio posted:

If you really don't understand why this isn't working as a way to share the HTML, you're totally hosed.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 20, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

That's a local link to your computer. Unless you share the contents of your C: with us, that paste is useless. Is this your first semester of CS?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CloFan posted:

That's a local link to your computer. Unless you share the contents of your C: with us, that paste is useless. Is this your first semester of CS?

Hey now. He is trying for the cia. By the time he makes it in the NSA might as well have google searching everyone's harddrive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Grouchio posted:

You can't link us your local hard drive on the internet, Ian.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grouchio posted:

The file:/// URI doesn't work on the web.

The location bar or whatever Windows calls it now is not a "search engine".

You need to host it on a webserver somewhere or paste the contents onto a website (pastebin or whatever) for anyone else to see it.

Please utilize office hours.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

jaegerx posted:

Hey now. He is trying for the cia. By the time he makes it in the NSA might as well have google searching everyone's harddrive.
Ouch. That stung.

Also I still can't get a link working. Ah well. I did finish the thumbnail. Onto the background image and image map and then I'll review it tomorrow with my professor.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Godspeed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This is like that episode of the office where Michael promises those kids full scholarships if they graduate. It's painful to watch.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Grouchio posted:

a cold wind blows in
anime pup seeks snow den
finds no succor here

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Thank god he solved it. I was getting flash backs to tech support/help desk days and it was triggering me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

This is like that episode of the office where Michael promises those kids full scholarships if they graduate. It's painful to watch.

Hey Grouchio
Whatchu gonna do
Whatchu gonna do
Make your C: internet accessible

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Grouchio
Whatchu gonna do
Whatchu gonna do
Make your C: internet accessible

For science someone should setup a honeypot and do this. See how fast it gets destroyed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

...And my parents thought I had potential.

That I could master whatever field I followed with passion.

Apparently I have no such passion here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This has to be a troll at his point.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
more like Not Working in IT 3.0

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
The course name seems to be ITT 281. Does a 200 level course normally have pre-requisites. It seems like there is basic understandings of HTML etc missing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I honestly don't know. I just (kind of) chose this course back in august as a test-run in IT. Which has apparently become a terrible mistake.

I cannot make this poo poo up if I tried.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I honestly don't know. I just (kind of) chose this course back in august as a test-run in IT. Which has apparently become a terrible mistake.

I cannot make this poo poo up if I tried.

Ian you are the reason we drink.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Ian, I have a client seeking a resource just like you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

...How embarrassed should I feel? (Especially being spoken to by name)

And for the last time this isn't trolling!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 20, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't know if this is a really good, clever troll or someone I should legitimately feel sorry for

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

All I know is any time someone is bitching about a clueless user the name should be "Ian"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dogstile posted:

I don't know if this is a really good, clever troll or someone I should legitimately feel sorry for

If it's a troll, it's absolutely perfect in execution.

If not... Grouchio, you really need to speak with an admissions counselor about finding a computer class that'll help you get caught up. I don't know what your background is, there's room for a lot of different skillsets in IT, you might be able to do a really good job in the right places once you get the basics down.

Edit:

He has to be real, no one could fake this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661704

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 20, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If it's a troll, it's absolutely perfect in execution.

If not... Grouchio, you really need to speak with an admissions counselor about finding a computer class that'll help you get caught up. I don't know what your background is, there's room for a lot of different skillsets in IT, you might be able to do a really good job in the right places once you get the basics down.

Edit:

He has to be real, no one could fake this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661704

Oh god, this is why the terrorists are winning.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Jakg2iN2c

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Grouchio posted:

...How embarrassed should I feel? (Especially being spoken to by name)

And for the last time this isn't trolling!

Ian, the html file you keep trying to share with us is on your hard drive and not on the internet.

"I make dollars every day, and you'll never believe how!"
This one neat trick will have you uploading html files to the internet in no time!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+upload+an+html+file+to+the+internet

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ian, the html file you keep trying to share with us is on your hard drive and not on the internet.

"I make dollars every day, and you'll never believe how!"
This one neat trick will have you uploading html files to the internet in no time!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+upload+an+html+file+to+the+internet

You're like.. a sorcerer or something.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Unfortunately the webpage it goes to is not only private, but happens to be on a thumb drive that I probably left on campus (the professor has it probably).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grouchio posted:

Unfortunately the webpage it goes to is not only private, but happens to be on a thumb drive that I probably left on campus (the professor has it probably).

The "My Documents" folder on your C drive is not on a thumbdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grouchio posted:

...And my parents thought I had potential.

That I could master whatever field I followed with passion.

Apparently I have no such passion here.

Most fields build on themselves. IT/CS included. If you jump into a 200 level course with no understanding of how the internet or webpages work (or are supposed to work) and can't keep up with the assigned reading, you're gonna have a bad time no matter how passionate you might be. Go look at this and do it.

Grouchio posted:

If you mean that the HTML on your C drive links to a thumb drive, I don't even... How do you think the thumb drive is going to get the same drive letter on his PC and the links won't be totally broken?

Don't use file:///. Host your stuff online somewhere. There are free web hosts. You can even dump it to github.

Learn how to use git (or some other source control, but github is so stupid easy for new people there's no reason not to use it).

Put your stuff in source control.