Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xaris posted:

claptrap ... is one of the few really good things about the new BL
This game is like the Michael Douglas of cancers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Croccers posted:

I dunno. BL2 had Internet Memes and Tiny Tina and those are worse than cancer. How many Internet Memes and Tiny Tinas does Pre-Sequel have?

The best part about the unending miles of bitching about the internet memes is if you look at an actual list of all the memes referenced in BL2 and it's almost entirely limited to some challenge names, hardly any in the game's dialogue itself.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_2_pop_culture_references#Memes

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
When people say the humor is too meme-y they don't mean just recent internet memes, it's about how heavily it leans on referential humor in general. Instead of making jokes most of the time it just goes "Hey remember this other thing that's funny? We just referenced it, that makes us funny too!".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And Presequel is still full of it.

It's just full of a ton of Australian cultural references the rest of the world won't get at all.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Reason posted:

The worst part of Borderlands is Claptrap and now he's a playable character!

But that sounds amazing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mokinokaro posted:

It's just full of a ton of Australian cultural references the rest of the world won't get at all.

This part sounds great though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh nooo learning other 'cultures' :aaaaa:

Deal with it, we have to deal with US cultural references in mostly everything else :colbert: Also TF2 seems to love horrible Australian stereotypes and jokes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, I really don't like Enemy Within. I beat Vanilla XCOM two years ago and I don't remember it being even close to as frustrating as EW is. All the new missions are just ridiculously punishing, even on Easy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
What?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You know, now that i'm playing it again, Duke Nukem Forever is actually pretty good, and funny.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Maybe he's rushing straight for the Meld in every single mission? :v:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Are you trying too hard? Like, do you rollback a save when one of your character dies or you don't pick up the meld lol

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Man, I really don't like Enemy Within. I beat Vanilla XCOM two years ago and I don't remember it being even close to as frustrating as EW is. All the new missions are just ridiculously punishing, even on Easy.

I had the same experience, some of the new missions are the kind where you need to know they're coming to actually prepare. Night of the hundred chrysalids was a pain IMO because I had all of the units on the boat the first time I did it, and I had the first base defence happen when all my good units were wounded and I had to do it with rookies. I died horribly over and over as I loaded saves in vain to attempt different tactics, but that's XCOM. (And about 4 cyber disks and multiple alien mechs)

I didn't have anywhere near as much trouble with enemy within, but I never played any of those insane difficulty mods people love so much.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Yodzilla posted:

This part sounds great though.

One of the hugely incomprehensible Australian references is actually a foreshadowing of the end of the game. You just don't realize it, because it's in Australian :v:

Also you can find the Monolith from 2001 which is nice.

Moving on to other topics, the new Resident Evil 4 port... have the issues with 60fps mode been ironed out or would it be better to play in 30 fps?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

You know, now that i'm playing it again, Duke Nukem Forever is actually pretty good, and funny.

I wouldn't go that far but the game isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It just feels unfinished, which Gearbox said they bought it to do but it seems like they just put together what 3DRealms had done and sewed it all together. A lot of empty hallways that felt like they had big plans for that they must have never gotten to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

therealjon_ posted:

I wouldn't go that far but the game isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It just feels unfinished, which Gearbox said they bought it to do but it seems like they just put together what 3DRealms had done and sewed it all together. A lot of empty hallways that felt like they had big plans for that they must have never gotten to.

To be fair, Take Two only gave them 6 or 8 months.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiny Tina was never funny and never will be funny.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I find the implication that Australia has anything resembling culture gravely offensive.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mokinokaro posted:

Australian cultural references from Americans. The thing with Aussie humour is that we love loving with people and do it because we can. Otherwise it's your typical british black comedy but with more swearing and accents.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Freak Futanari posted:

Hi y'all, i just want to say that if any of you people haven't bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel yet, then please do not do it, the game sucks mega balls. It makes Duke Nukem Forever look good.

Now that an anime person said it maybe somebody will listen?

Papercut posted:

20 hours in a loot-based ARPG is nothing, especially when I had the experience with the previous game influencing my patience. That amount of time is basically, "maybe I just need to level up a bit more/maybe I just need a different gear spec/maybe I just need to try a different class".

I hate this mentality in gaming right now. Some games, like Morrowind and sims and whatever, yes there's a learning curve/cliff where you need to play 20+ hours to really learn the game and "get it". Or there's games like KOTOR where the first act is balls but then it gets good (screw you doing all-light versus all-dark playthroughs are totally worth it).

With MMOs, and WoW-with-guns games like BL2 and Destiny, the whole experience just is chasing the dragon distilled down to its essence. Playing levels one through max aren't even part of the game, that's the pre-game. Once you get to max level, then that's still pre-game, because now you need to grind for stuff that you can only get at that level. And once you grind for all the stuff, then you can start maxing out for the "real" game and its strategy and all the stuff that you have to really spend days grinding for with a party of characters because raid bosses and crap. But oh no, no one could have predicted this, this has literally never happened before, there's this new (usually paid) content that put more powerful stuff into the game so now there's a whole new build and/or character, so you'll need to do the grind all over again for that content too.

In Borderlands all I'd advise is that somebody should spend one solid evening with some friends in co-op, because the game is exponentially better the more people you have playing. If the gameplay and looting and humor aren't for you, fine.

A Miserable Robot posted:

I had the same experience, some of the new missions are the kind where you need to know they're coming to actually prepare. Night of the hundred chrysalids was a pain IMO because I had all of the units on the boat the first time I did it, and I had the first base defence happen when all my good units were wounded and I had to do it with rookies. I died horribly over and over as I loaded saves in vain to attempt different tactics, but that's XCOM. (And about 4 cyber disks and multiple alien mechs)

I didn't have anywhere near as much trouble with enemy within, but I never played any of those insane difficulty mods people love so much.

:xcom:
Never, ever expect fair treatment from your first playthrough of XCOM content. If you have a "serious" campaign saved, just make a new one to send some scrubs through the grinder. If you take characters you care about into the storm and get mad when they're destroyed, you forgot what game you're playing.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Ddraig posted:

the new Resident Evil 4 port

I enjoyed playing the original port on PC, has anyone else played what I assume is a second reincarnation? Thoughts?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Is there an updated version of Lemmings or a good Lemmings-like game?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there a mod for HD UI elements for Fate: The Traitor Soul? I can stand the rest of the graphics, but holy god does that UI scale terribly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NeoSeeker posted:

I enjoyed playing the original port on PC

No you didn't.

Nobody did.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kly posted:

Is there an updated version of Lemmings or a good Lemmings-like game?

Lemmings is owned by Sony after they bought the Psygonsis studio (and then killed it years later). There's a game on Steam that is sort of a hybrid of Lemmings 2D and 3D called Clones. It's worth checking out if you are looking for a Lemmings-like game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

NeoSeeker posted:

I enjoyed playing the original port on PC, has anyone else played what I assume is a second reincarnation? Thoughts?

The current port is fine now that it's been patched a couple times. 60 fps mode works fine minus some odd animation glitches with breaking boxes, etc.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the Pre-Sequel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

No you didn't.

Nobody did.

I did, after I downloaded a third party hack that shoved in mouse control and the lighting from the console version (couldn't do anything about the on screen prompts though). Probably doesn't count as original at that point though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've been telling people for a month+ to hold off on playing the XCom: Long War mod until version 14 was released.

It's out now. Seriously one of the best mods I've played for any game ever, and they've added a shitload of new features with this version, including new mission types, far greater map randomization (all player, alien and meld placement is random), finally defining Health and Armor as different on your health bars and more.

It's like a free expansion, and will only get better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I've been telling people for a month+ to hold off on playing the XCom: Long War mod until version 14 was released.

It's out now. Seriously one of the best mods I've played for any game ever, and they've added a shitload of new features with this version, including new mission types, far greater map randomization (all player, alien and meld placement is random), finally defining Health and Armor as different on your health bars and more.

It's like a free expansion, and will only get better.

I'm guessing this is the one that had all the bugs except like 2 or 3 fixed? If so looks like I'm getting it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr E posted:

I'm guessing this is the one that had all the bugs except like 2 or 3 fixed? If so looks like I'm getting it.

As far as the LW devs are aware, the only surviving bugs are a couple that not even Firaxis managed to fix, and they even managed to squash a good load of them, too. I'm sure that a few will be found over the next few weeks of public testing, but they've fixed so many.

Also, good feature: turn on Camera Panning in the options menu to turn on the new camera mode. Hold MMB to freely orbit and elevate the camera. Also, set default zoom level in the same screen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dominic White posted:

As far as the LW devs are aware, the only surviving bugs are a couple that not even Firaxis managed to fix, and they even managed to squash a good load of them, too. I'm sure that a few will be found over the next few weeks of public testing, but they've fixed so many.

Also, good feature: turn on Camera Panning in the options menu to turn on the new camera mode. Hold MMB to freely orbit and elevate the camera. Also, set default zoom level in the same screen.

I seem to recall (probably from one of your previous posts) that Long War is pretty customizable. Is it possible to patch in all these great fixes and additions but keep the gameplay and balance stuff vanilla? I haven't actually started playing X-Com yet, and would love to have all the QoL stuff, but without diving headlong into all of the crazy stuff that Long War offers (or inflicts).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I seem to recall (probably from one of your previous posts) that Long War is pretty customizable. Is it possible to patch in all these great fixes and additions but keep the gameplay and balance stuff vanilla? I haven't actually started playing X-Com yet, and would love to have all the QoL stuff, but without diving headlong into all of the crazy stuff that Long War offers (or inflicts).

It's customizable in so far as almost every gameplay variable you can think of is externalized into an INI file (letting you make it as hard or easy as you want), but you can't turn any individual features on or off.

For what it's worth, the mod is vocally endorsed and praised by Jake Solomon, XCom's lead developer.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 20, 2014

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Should I bother buying any additional weapons in Dead Space? I'm through chapter 5 and I've upgraded the default one's damage all the way and it's served me well. The only thing it isn't great for is crowd control. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with way more nodes and credits than I know what to do with--is there anything else that would make my life any easier? I've also been upgrading my suit whenever I gain access to a new one, and my HP is fully upgraded.

NeoSeeker posted:

It's supposed to look a little better (higher res textures), but more importantly it's supposed to actually work. I am going to grab it when it goes on sale.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 20, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

il serpente cosmico posted:

Should I bother buying any additional weapons in Dead Space? I'm through chapter 5 and I've upgraded the default one's damage all the way and it's served me well. The only thing it isn't great for is crowd control. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with way more nodes and credits than I know what to do with--is there anything else that would make my life any easier? I've also been upgrading my suit whenever I gain access to a new one, and my HP is fully upgraded.
Get the Contact Gun.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

The Line Gun is great for clearing hallways full of poo poo.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
The Force Gun amazing as well. You just have to say "I like to keep this handy... for close encounters," every time you use it.

You can absolutely finish the game with just the plasma cutter, but it's probably more fun to use some of the other toys on offer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's supposed to look a little better (higher res textures), but more importantly it's supposed to actually work. I am going to grab it when it goes on sale.

I upgraded the Plasma Cutter and whatever the gun is that fires sawblades and can also hold them spinning in front of it because it was pretty funny to just let necromorphs walk into them, but honestly the plasma cutter can serve you very well through the game if you can avoid getting swarmed.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ammo drops in Dead Space are biased towards what you're carrying, so it actually gets a bit easier if you only use the plasma cutter. You'll get more ammo for it, and since it's such a jack-of-all-trades weapon, you'll be relatively well stocked to deal with almost every situation the game throws at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The force gun obliterates everything.

Tried a bunch of different games just to get some different flavors, I'll probably continue to do so while I think on what I wanna run next:

- Shadowrun Returns: Seems alright. I wish I could control this with a gamepad but I understand why it's M+KB. Combat's just kinda eh. Looks very pretty though. I'll keep playing.

- FTL: The hype was real? I didn't think I'd like this. Unlocked a ship, got as far as the 5th or 6th sector.. I'll play this until I can win at least once.

- Assassin's Creed Revelations: Why does Ezio look so weird. He and Desmond look like completely different people. Did they change character designers or something? The gameplay seems okay but I still much prefer ACIV's controls. There's dumb tower defense segments for no reason. Get that poo poo outta here, I'll play Defender's Quest if I want TD.

- Droplitz: I don't even know how I got this game. It's not that good.

- Legend of Grimrock: Cleared the first floor, the combat is really awkward but it mostly works. It does seem to have an addictive quality to it.

- Afterfall Insanity: Let the jank begin :getin: Polish Dead Space only it's underground instead of out in space. I don't know of many Dead Space clones so I guess by default this is the best one available. I've played about 6 chapters and I intend on playing this one through cause, it plays fine, it looks okay, and the voice acting is so bad I want to hear more of it.

- Mars War Logs: The jank continues, this time of the action-RPG variety. You mostly punch things a lot, and gain skill points, and then punch more things. Not as fun-jank as Afterfall but I will play it a little longer at least.

Other games Steamcompletionist says I haven't played yet: Oddworld 1+2, Puzzle Dimension, Rise of the Argonauts, Saints Row the Third, Saira, Serious Sam HD 1+2, Tiny & Big, Zen Bound 2

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread