Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Oxxidation posted:

That's more the PC gamers justifying their $1500 fun machines like always.

Ha, what Nerds! Unlike me, Consoles 4 lyfe.

So I just finished Batman: Arkham Origins and it was obvious that they didn't have much to add to the formula of the series. Almost all of the new gadgets are pretty crappy, I only really enjoyed the remote claw, which can string people up gargoyles and pull environmental objects or even other enemies towards your foes. On the other hand the concussion grenade is totally useless most of the time, sometimes it can be an outright hindrence, and Shock Gloves basically just let you cheat through the combat, you smack every enemy regardless of weapons or armor and dudes get knocked down by them so all of the nuance and special strategies you have to devise get thrown out the window. The combat's not exactly difficult most of the time so this makes the final stretch of the game pretty dull, which is a shame since I liked some of the new enemy types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The really hidden stuff in Darks is really, really well hidden though. I don't know how they expect you to be able to find the Painted World on your own. I missed going back to the Asylumn the first few times I played.

I can understand returning to the Asylum. I can understand Ash Lake. But painted world? How do you not find the painted world if you do even a minimal amount of exploration?

Edit: Oh man I'm totally dumb. I forgot you had to pick up the doll at the asylum to get to the painted world. I really should go back and play more Dark Souls :(

kazil has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Oct 19, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Having hidden stuff is one thing but if I knew in the back of my mind if I didn't rush poo poo would happen without me I'd be annoyed the whole time. It's one of those things where gameplay has to trump total immersion.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

kazil posted:

I can understand returning to the Asylum. I can understand Ash Lake. But painted world? How do you not find the painted world if you do even a minimal amount of exploration?

Edit: Oh man I'm totally dumb. I forgot you had to pick up the doll at the asylum to get to the painted world. I really should go back and play more Dark Souls :(

At least the downer guy in the beginning gives you some kind of very vague clue on how to get back to the asylum (and into painted world). Nothing suggests that there's not one, but two hidden walls linked to two entire levels behind the chest in the far end of Blighttown.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Pac-man Championship Edition DX+: You can unlock the original Pac-man graphics if you get all the medals (like achievements, but harder). Those medals include "Share 5 medals and all achievements on Facebook". So if I was that cool skin, I gotta share like 17 stupid achievements on Facebook. Nothin doin Pac-man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still think that in terms of having allies that are actually competent, Freespace did it best. Your wingmates aren't perfect, and they don't know how to use the game's mechanics as well as someone who's gone through all the tutorials, but they're good enough that, at the very least, they can shoot things down and give you breathing room when needed. It's also not a game that something can 'steal content' from you in; if the objective is to take down the big honkin' spaceship, it's not the game's fault that you didn't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Ha, what Nerds! Unlike me, Consoles 4 lyfe.

So I just finished Batman: Arkham Origins and it was obvious that they didn't have much to add to the formula of the series. Almost all of the new gadgets are pretty crappy, I only really enjoyed the remote claw, which can string people up gargoyles and pull environmental objects or even other enemies towards your foes. On the other hand the concussion grenade is totally useless most of the time, sometimes it can be an outright hindrence, and Shock Gloves basically just let you cheat through the combat, you smack every enemy regardless of weapons or armor and dudes get knocked down by them so all of the nuance and special strategies you have to devise get thrown out the window. The combat's not exactly difficult most of the time so this makes the final stretch of the game pretty dull, which is a shame since I liked some of the new enemy types.

What dragged Arham Origins down for me was when you use the Shock Gloves to restart Alfred's heart. Defibrillators aren't used for that! :argh:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Who What Now posted:

What dragged Arham Origins down for me was when you use the Shock Gloves to restart Alfred's heart. Defibrillators aren't used for that! :argh:

Me too... and then a few others later... Batman should know this stuff!
He even warns Alfred to watch out for fibrillations afterwards! The things a defibrillator is designed to de! And then Alfred is just a bit bruised and shaken, despite apparently having been beaten and buried under boulders by Bane. Electric restarts hearts, mends bones and tops-up your missing blood it seems!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

khwarezm posted:

So I just finished Batman: Arkham Origins and it was obvious that they didn't have much to add to the formula of the series.

What dragged this game down for me was the electrocutioner fight. I ran up to him, pressed the punch button and it immediately went to the you win cutscene. I don't know whether that was a bug or intentional but either way it was pretty lame when I was expecting a real boss fight.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The Moon Monster posted:

What dragged this game down for me was the electrocutioner fight. I ran up to him, pressed the punch button and it immediately went to the you win cutscene. I don't know whether that was a bug or intentional but either way it was pretty lame when I was expecting a real boss fight.

You see I thought that was hilarious though, and it was intentional, Electrocutioner is pretty clearly the comedy joke boss from the start. Besides you get to fight Deathstroke a moment later.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Based on your previous posts, I'm fairly sure that you've never actually played a game like this, and are just speculating based on pure nothing.

I, on the other hand, freaking love Star Control 2. The plot moving without the player (at a reasonable pace) is fantastic.
Wizardry 7 has other adventuring parties with their own agenda and it was awesome, I'd love to see more open RPGs have similar things. I got to the end of a long, difficult dungeon to find that a rival party - who I'd developed an absolute hatred for at this point, they killed a nice guy that I liked - had already taken the MacGuffin from the chest at the end, having got there just ahead of me. Returning to the exit, I managed to cut them off and kill them, finally taking the treasure. It owned.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Electrocutioner being a joke is kind of the entire point of him being there. He's a D-lister, way in over his head. Even regular goons rip into him for that. :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

You see I thought that was hilarious though, and it was intentional, Electrocutioner is pretty clearly the comedy joke boss from the start. Besides you get to fight Deathstroke a moment later.

The Deathstroke fight was really cool right up until two minutes in when you've seen the entirety of his patterns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: My dubmass teammates who stand in my line of fire and block the shots as I'm currently shooting someone, or about to shoot someone. I'm not asking you to look both ways before crossing the battlefield (actually, I am) but if you're going to block my shot do me a loving favor and SHOOT THE GUY I WAS TRYING TO KILL BEFORE YOU GOT IN THE WAY.

You walk right in front of me, deny me killing someone, and loving die without even killing someone else and the guy I was shooting ran for cover. Thanks, jackass. You're probably the same guy who watches as an enemy jumps into a group of friendlies and knifes everyone and don't make an attempt to kill him.

EDIT: Also people who just sit outside of a point room and don't actually push. Hey jackass, even if you do kill someone who in the building from the outside there is an exact 100% chance there is a medic also in the building that you cannot kill from the outside who can just bring the guy back to life in a few seconds and can do this an infinite number of times.

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Lavender posted:

I just beat Shadow of Mordor, and I mostly think it's outstanding. So many parts of it are carbon-copied from other games, but it really puts it all together competently.

What I didn't like were all the pointless side-quests. It's the same problem I had with Assassin's Creed 1 - just a lot of repetitive time sucks with no real payoff. The ones where you help prisoners were nearly identical, and I think there were 20 or more that you had to do. There was some variation in the weapon-specific quests, but you don't really get anything from them, and a couple of the stealth ones were really lovely.

I think side quests should really just be mini stories parallel to the main one. Like Torvin's whole arc - I'd consider that a side quest, but it was lumped in with the main one. I hate to whine about any "extra" content, but it just feels like filler.

Either way, I got about 25 hrs until 100%, and I really enjoyed most of it.

The dwarf killed it for me -- hated his character. His missions are the last ones left before I finish the game, I'm considering the game "done" and moving on, because gently caress it if I have to listen to this badly voice acted midget.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally got around to playing some Uncharted (a little late on that one, I know), but the fight at the end of Chapter 17 is the most unfun thing I've ever had to do half a dozen times before I finally pulled it off.

To top it off, I played it at a friend's place and now I feel like beating it, so I get to play through the whole game again. So far I'm only dreading two fights in the whole thing, but Chapter 17 is so bad that it just makes the other fight I'm not looking forward to seem like a mild setback by comparison.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

I finally got around to playing some Uncharted (a little late on that one, I know), but the fight at the end of Chapter 17 is the most unfun thing I've ever had to do half a dozen times before I finally pulled it off.

To top it off, I played it at a friend's place and now I feel like beating it, so I get to play through the whole game again. So far I'm only dreading two fights in the whole thing, but Chapter 17 is so bad that it just makes the other fight I'm not looking forward to seem like a mild setback by comparison.

Is that the first dark horde things?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah. I knew the game got "weird" and it was honestly telegraphed pretty hard the whole time, but the actual fight is just not fun. It's a small dark room with no cover - in a cover shooter - full of holes that enemies crawl out of so there's no way to protect yourself from all angles at once. Plus, since they can't be melee attacked, there's a good chance you're going to blow through most of your ammo on the fight (and while there are a couple M4s and shotguns in the room, there's enough enemies that you'll probably blow through those as well. God help your sorry rear end if you pick up one of the M4s and then grab the ammo from the other one, maxing out the clip with a measly 10 more rounds instead of emptying the gun first and picking up ~35 from the second.)

Meanwhile you get to hear the same four lines of dialogue over and over again. Jesus Christ, Elena just toss down the drat rope already - ROPES CAN'T RUST.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I've only played Uncharted 3 but this exactly mirrors my experience with a few fights at the end of that game. :v:

The gameplay really degenerates into choreography after awhile.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've only played Uncharted 3 but this exactly mirrors my experience with a few fights at the end of that game. :v:

The gameplay really degenerates into choreography after awhile.
Uncharted 3 doesn't drag on with the supernatural enemies for as long as 1/2 does.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I didn't find the supernatural enemies super annoying in any of the games. The dark hordes in uncharted one I found to be pretty straight forward and fun to fihgt. It went from cover shooting and punching dudes to just running around like a loon, and not-punching. It's unfortunate you can't steel fist the dudes, but it's not a big deal. It's important to dodge roll like crazy, especially when picking up ammo.

Uncharted's two dudes were super hard until you took one of their crossbows, which magically did more damage than the regular ones, only to them. For some reason. They were also much weaker to grenades than bullets.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Who What Now posted:

The Deathstroke fight was really cool right up until two minutes in when you've seen the entirety of his patterns.

Even then, Deathstroke was by far the best boss fight in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Shadow of Mordor is neat I guess but the berserkers drive me mad. I like them in principle - they auto-counter normal hits and greatly increase the difficulty of enemy groups - but the problem is that a) they're distinguished by wielding two weapons, which can be really bloody hard to notice in the murky darkness especially when you're drowning in supple multi-colored orc flesh, and b) the only way to hurt them is to stun them and unleash a flurry attack that you will never, ever get off in time if there's a single enemy in the same zip code as you. I'm usually reduced to running away and capping them with arrows whenever there's more than two or three in a group.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

kazil posted:

Even then, Deathstroke was by far the best boss fight in the game.

Every boss fight would have benefited greatly by being about 1/5 as long as they actually turned out to be. They're cool for like a minute and a half, tops, and then they all just turn into you doing the exact same thing over and over again with no change in animation or anything.

The whole series had lovely boss fights, really. I wish more of them were in the style of the Deadshot fight (which still sucked, but I'm talking more the general idea) or the Mr. Freeze fight from Arkham City, where you can do your own thing to bring them down instead of a long series of canned animations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Shadow of Mordor is neat I guess but the berserkers drive me mad. I like them in principle - they auto-counter normal hits and greatly increase the difficulty of enemy groups - but the problem is that a) they're distinguished by wielding two weapons, which can be really bloody hard to notice in the murky darkness especially when you're drowning in supple multi-colored orc flesh, and b) the only way to hurt them is to stun them and unleash a flurry attack that you will never, ever get off in time if there's a single enemy in the same zip code as you. I'm usually reduced to running away and capping them with arrows whenever there's more than two or three in a group.

If you aren't combat branding them, you're doing it wrong.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Every boss fight would have benefited greatly by being about 1/5 as long as they actually turned out to be. They're cool for like a minute and a half, tops, and then they all just turn into you doing the exact same thing over and over again with no change in animation or anything.

The whole series had lovely boss fights, really. I wish more of them were in the style of the Deadshot fight (which still sucked, but I'm talking more the general idea) or the Mr. Freeze fight from Arkham City, where you can do your own thing to bring them down instead of a long series of canned animations.

Funny you mention these two because Mr. Freeze is by far the best fight the series ever did and Deadshot is the worst.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If you aren't combat branding them, you're doing it wrong.

Haven't unlocked brand yet, won't for some time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

Based on your previous posts, I'm fairly sure that you've never actually played a game like this, and are just speculating based on pure nothing.

I, on the other hand, freaking love Star Control 2. The plot moving without the player (at a reasonable pace) is fantastic.
I haven't played Star Control 2, but I have played games where things go on without you if you take too long, and I hate them. It completely ruins the game by making me feel rushed and stressed, and I can't really anything because I always have to keep moving. Same with timers where you just fail if you take too long. Just let me play the game at my own pace, gently caress off with this pressure. As soon as I feel like the game is forcing me to go faster than I want to I stop playing and never touch it again.

Austrian mook posted:

I think it's extremely important to have content you can miss in most games.
I have no problem with minor stuff you can miss, but I hate when it's entire quests. The thing I absolutely hate about games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Dragon Age: Origins (all games I otherwise love and have played multiple times) is that I have to go on the internet to find out where all the side quests are because I don't want to miss any of them. It annoys the poo poo out of me that there can be a quest you never even know exists because you didn't talk to this one NPC or didn't pick up this item. If I'm enjoying the game, why would I want there to be bits I didn't get to play?

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Having hidden stuff is one thing but if I knew in the back of my mind if I didn't rush poo poo would happen without me I'd be annoyed the whole time.
And because you are rushing you're probably missing out on stuff you just don't notice, which you would have seen if you could have taken it slower. It's basically designing the game in such a way as to ensure that no one actually gets to fully appreciate it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oxxidation posted:

I save my executions for those dudes. Also throw daggers at them and vault over them.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

In the new 3DS Smash Bros, you're only allowed to taunt twice during online matches, unless you reset it by getting a KO. :smith:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Been playing a lot of games lately.

- Arkham Origins: The sound effects are terrible, and not being able to use skins on your first playthrough is really bad. Some of these skins won't be available to you until you have done nearly everything there is to do. Completely inane.

- The Evil Within: Shoddy stealth mechanics that are thrown out of the window as packs of monsters appear at least 3-5 times a chapter. Dangerously close to being unable to complete bosses if you aren't overly stingy with ammo or can't maneuver into using partner/environmental traps.

- Shadow of Mordor: A story that polarizes... if you don't care about LOTR, this game will not change it. If you like LOTR, you will think the story is really bad. This game is a lot of fun, though. The Elf wraith stuff could've been excised from the game entirely. Just give me a regular bow. I don't like to do ghost hits, I'd rather the "flurry" combo after the stun be just as cool as Batman's ridiculous long combo. I hate all the loving things having to do with sharing a body with a goddamn ghost elf in this game. Not a fan of Tolkien, I just think it's stupid and makes Talion's moveset seem smaller than it is.

- Tomb Raider: (the newest, grimy Uncharted ripoff one) I have a high tolerance for QTE. What is the point of a QTE that kills you when you fail, but if you fail, you start off at that exact QTE? In this case, couldn't it just be a movie?

- Alien: Isolation: The motion tracker lies.

- Black Flag: Nobody cares about the Animus stuff. Please stop loving doing this. You are doing something cool, and get to break immersion and drive the pacing to a goddamn stand still while you walk around a big metacommentary on how hard it is to be a video game designer. gently caress you, Ubi Soft.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Oct 20, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Firstborn posted:

- Alien: Isolation: The motion tracker lies.

Having gone through the game twice now I've never seen it "lie."

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Firstborn posted:

Been playing a lot of games lately.
- Shadow of Mordor: A story that polarizes... if you don't care about LOTR, this game will not change it. If you like LOTR, you will think the story is really bad. This game is a lot of fun, though. The Elf wraith stuff could've been excised from the game entirely. Just give me a regular bow. I don't like to do ghost hits, I'd rather the "flurry" combo after the stun be just as cool as Batman's ridiculous long combo. I hate all the loving things having to do with sharing a body with a goddamn ghost elf in this game. Not a fan of Tolkien, I just think it's stupid and makes Talion's moveset seem smaller than it is.

I loved though how if you have to counter 2 enemies simultaneously, the wraith kind of hops out of your body to take on one of them.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Oxxidation posted:

I treat them the same as I treat shield dudes - vault over (easy to tap the space bar), rack up a few hits on their behind, hit somebody else, and you're charged up enough to execute them. Not too much trouble as long as you're aware of them in the mob.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I haven't played Star Control 2, but I have played games where things go on without you if you take too long, and I hate them. It completely ruins the game by making me feel rushed and stressed, and I can't really anything because I always have to keep moving. Same with timers where you just fail if you take too long. Just let me play the game at my own pace, gently caress off with this pressure. As soon as I feel like the game is forcing me to go faster than I want to I stop playing and never touch it again.

I have no problem with minor stuff you can miss, but I hate when it's entire quests. The thing I absolutely hate about games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Dragon Age: Origins (all games I otherwise love and have played multiple times) is that I have to go on the internet to find out where all the side quests are because I don't want to miss any of them. It annoys the poo poo out of me that there can be a quest you never even know exists because you didn't talk to this one NPC or didn't pick up this item. If I'm enjoying the game, why would I want there to be bits I didn't get to play?

And because you are rushing you're probably missing out on stuff you just don't notice, which you would have seen if you could have taken it slower. It's basically designing the game in such a way as to ensure that no one actually gets to fully appreciate it.

i'm sorry you're bad at games

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

i'm sorry you're bad at games

Hasn't that been Tiggum's MO forever?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Firstborn posted:

- Black Flag: Nobody cares about the Animus stuff. Please stop loving doing this. You are doing something cool, and get to break immersion and drive the pacing to a goddamn stand still while you walk around a big metacommentary on how hard it is to be a video game designer. gently caress you, Ubi Soft.

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.
IMO I would of liked a modern/future based AC where I actually got to play as Desmond and be useful.
The dumb alien stuff would of been a passable video game story on it's own, but the way they told it, it just got in the way of nearly everything the game actually was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got a Wii U recently, and it really drags Okami down that it's not on that. Here's the perfect hardware finally but no one's going to port it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (and its sequel/expansion) sound like the perfect game for you.