Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, yes, as I said, I get that. But the paragraph is 'don't help your enemy; instead, turn the other cheek.' Which implies that 'turn the other cheek' is a bad thing. But I don't understand how it could be. It's like they said 'don't help your enemy; instead, a stitch in time saves nine'. How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

Turn around and show your other (rear end) cheeks. As in moon your enemies. Ok maybe not that specific but still.

Other as in other kind, not as in the face cheek you haven't shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So digress a bit, I was once told that the commonly believed interpretation of 'Turn the other cheek' is actually incorrect. The phrase originates from the teachings of Jesus in relation of how one acts with their oppressors. 2000 years ago, the Romans would often use their left(?) hands to clean their feces, creating very strong connotations with left hands and uncleanliness. Thus, when they wanted to show disrespect, Roman soldiers would smack their left hands across the face of those who they subjugated. Jesus and his followers were common targets of the Roman soldiers, and would often be hit by soldier's poo hands. Jesus would often teach his followers to turn their cheek to force Romans to hit them with the other hand. Thus, the phrase 'Turn the Other Cheek' was not merely a plea of non-violence, but a call to demand to be seen as one's equal. Point being, if this story is indeed true, that the description presented is still taking the wrong message by describing you as the oppressor.

This isn't true but it's a good illustration of why that screenshot is funny

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I have played about half an hour of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and the mere fact you get your action skill at level 3 instead of 5 is already a godsend. Also I will be the only one of my friends playing Claptrap and I don't care who knows it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sad lions posted:

Just played through Dishonored's dlc The Brigmore Witches and I just noticed that just before the end the magical scribblings and presumably some of the painting, given the location of the flasks, were done in whale oil. The whales in the game have something of an unrevealed connection to the Outsider and his gifts.
Also, the transition to the Void when you make the leap of faith is something special. No impact or anything physical so much the world just appears in front of you like you were always just standing there and woke up
The Outsider is actually god of the whales I forgot where exactly its mentioned, but its stated in one of the books in-game.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Illuyankas posted:

I have played about half an hour of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and the mere fact you get your action skill at level 3 instead of 5 is already a godsend. Also I will be the only one of my friends playing Claptrap and I don't care who knows it.

I'm amused the game warns you three times when you choose him. It's nice too that the game isn't nearly as loving grating on the nerves after a while like BL2 was. There's some memes and references in there but it's not shoving them down your throat with literally every piece of dialogue thank christ.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is essentially Australia: In Space.

As an Australian, I love it. I am concerned that many non-Australians won't get most of the jokes and references, however.

EDIT: I mean, maybe I just don't have enough faith in the rest of the world, but I don't see the typical American "getting" why a quest to find a jolly swagman (who is literally camped under a Coolabah Cryo Vine) given by a guy called PeePot is funny.

What I'm trying to say is, I really like the new Borderlands game because it seems like the devs went "You know what? Screw the rest of the world, let's replace all the pop culture references with Australiana stuff, and make an Aussie game, by Aussies for Aussies."

I love it, but I'm afraid it might become something dragging the game down for the rest of the world.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Oct 20, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Illuyankas posted:

I still don't understand why you don't get it at the start, but I'll agree that level 3 is definitely a million times better than level 5.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

In Borderlands The Pre-sequel, one of the playable characters is Wilhelm, a man who would go on to become this huge mech robot boss in Borderlands 2. His whole deal in the Pre-Sequel is that he just wants to be a big robot and is already decked out with cybernetic gear all over his body. One of his skill trees adds even more cybernetics to him as you go down it, such as robot legs or fist or whatever.

Whats neat about all that is as you go further down the tree, his voice becomes more and more augmented and robotic, to the point where it gets difficult to understand him. I thought that was a really cool touch, especially since the player characters get more dialog in this installment.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I played through the first 17 chapters of Uncharted pretty much straight yesterday, and while it's clearly an action game with a bunch of over-the-top action sequences I love that Nathan seems really uncomfortable in most gunfights. When he's taking cover, he's practically cowering, and when you pop out to take a few shots he says "oookayyy" like he's trying to steel himself for getting shot at a ton.

It kind of loses its impact since bad guys continually empty clips into him and he's fine after a thirty second breather, but the fact that he's not a gung-ho ultrasoldier lusting for the blood of his enemies is a nice change of pace.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ryoshi posted:

I played through the first 17 chapters of Uncharted pretty much straight yesterday, and while it's clearly an action game with a bunch of over-the-top action sequences I love that Nathan seems really uncomfortable in most gunfights. When he's taking cover, he's practically cowering, and when you pop out to take a few shots he says "oookayyy" like he's trying to steel himself for getting shot at a ton.

It kind of loses its impact since bad guys continually empty clips into him and he's fine after a thirty second breather, but the fact that he's not a gung-ho ultrasoldier lusting for the blood of his enemies is a nice change of pace.

Drake is supposed to be preternaturally lucky; all those times he appears to get hit are actually close misses. Instead of losing health his luck literally runs out. Why that's represented by rapid-onset glaucoma is anyone's guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Male Man posted:

Drake is supposed to be preternaturally lucky; all those times he appears to get hit are actually close misses. Instead of losing health his luck literally runs out. Why that's represented by rapid-onset glaucoma is anyone's guess.

That's...pretty awesome, actually. Where is that explained? I was playing it at a friend's place so I might have missed it if it was in the manual or a sequel or something.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's all explained in the third one. Just keep playing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tracula posted:

I'm amused the game warns you three times when you choose him. It's nice too that the game isn't nearly as loving grating on the nerves after a while like BL2 was. There's some memes and references in there but it's not shoving them down your throat with literally every piece of dialogue thank christ.

BL2 wasn't like that either though??

Playing Far Cry 3 there's little yellow crabs that wander around on the beaches that are just :3:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

princecoo posted:

As an Australian, I love it. I am concerned that many non-Australians won't get most of the jokes and references, however.

EDIT: I mean, maybe I just don't have enough faith in the rest of the world, but I don't see the typical American "getting" why a quest to find a jolly swagman (who is literally camped under a Coolabah Cryo Vine) given by a guy called PeePot is funny.

What I'm trying to say is, I really like the new Borderlands game because it seems like the devs went "You know what? Screw the rest of the world, let's replace all the pop culture references with Australiana stuff, and make an Aussie game, by Aussies for Aussies."

I love it, but I'm afraid it might become something dragging the game down for the rest of the world.

My favourite part is that it started pretty organically. The game was made in Australia and the alpha versions of the game had placeholder voice acting done by locals and head office loved it and let them make the whole game like that..

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A thing I like about Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is that co-op changes based on who is playing as Big Boss.

If you are Big Boss and your friend isn't: You appear as Big Boss and your friend sees you as him.
If you aren't Big Boss and your friend is: They appear as Big Boss and you see them as him.
If you and your friend are both Big Boss: You appear as Big Boss on your screen while they are a generic soldier, and vice versa for them.

It's a nice touch to not force the host player to always be Big Boss, or have two Big Bosses spontaneously running around a la Dead Rising 2 just plopping in two Chucks and pretending one doesn't exist in cutscenes.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

A thing I like about Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is that co-op changes based on who is playing as Big Boss.

If you are Big Boss and your friend isn't: You appear as Big Boss and your friend sees you as him.
If you aren't Big Boss and your friend is: They appear as Big Boss and you see them as him.
If you and your friend are both Big Boss: You appear as Big Boss on your screen while they are a generic soldier, and vice versa for them.

It's a nice touch to not force the host player to always be Big Boss, or have two Big Bosses spontaneously running around a la Dead Rising 2 just plopping in two Chucks and pretending one doesn't exist in cutscenes.

I wish Hideo had a unique character model in that like he does in GZ because that would make scenes in co-op PW very strange.
Also great in that he appears as an expert intel guy with next to no combat ability in Peace Walker then shows up again in a non-canon mission in Ground Zeroes more or less as a continuation of that that you need to rescue.
Fucker gotta stop dicking with my mission select though I swear to god.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes Kojima pops up in the codec conversations too, albeit in a different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThutNUSMDfY

KOJIMA IS GOD.... KOJIMA IS GOD....

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Illuyankas posted:

I started a group playthrough with two others tonight.

Our original plan was to have a group of 4 so that all characters would be played, but... then we decided to do a Claptrap-only group with just us three.

It's glorious, ridiculous chaos. One guy's doing the Boomtrap tree or whichever, I'm focusing on the middle one with all the "more benefits with friends" dealio, and our third is taking the right tree mostly which is going to be really tricky for her to play once she invests more points.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Farecoal posted:

BL2 wasn't like that either though??

Yeah, no. As much as I enjoyed BL2 it was pretty laden with pop culture poo poo every chance it got and at a point tried way, way too hard to be funny and took every chance it got to cram in a reference to another game, TV show, movie, etc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Borderlands 2 is really weird because it has actual funny stuff, memes and serious dramatic storytelling and it changes between them without warning, so they all feel out of place.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

princecoo posted:

Do you guys actually call hands meathunks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tracula posted:

Do you guys actually call hands meathunks?

Nah mate, we call'em fukkin fing-woggles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From what I understand, the gun that curses at you when you shoot things and calls you a fuckin oval office when you switch away from it is as accurate as it gets. Speaking of which, Borderlands 1.5 has more talking guns/items which I found pretty entertaining in the first one.

HAVE A GO YA MUG

AWW RAIGHT PUT EM IN ME

SEE YA AROUND YA oval office

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

They do something similar with the multiplayer in Watch Dogs. You (the player) are always the main character but everybody else sees you as a random character model because in their game they're the main character. They mostly did it that way because there are multiple modes where the whole point is trying to figure out who is actually a real person connected to your game/hiding from a person in their game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Male Man posted:

I think the Brothers in Arms games did a similar thing. When you were out of cover and enemies were shooting at you, for a while they would just miss while your teammates scream at you to get back into cover. Only if you kept that up for too long eventually the enemy would zero in on you and land a hit, which is instantly fatal.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

muscles like this? posted:

They do something similar with the multiplayer in Watch Dogs. You (the player) are always the main character but everybody else sees you as a random character model because in their game they're the main character. They mostly did it that way because there are multiple modes where the whole point is trying to figure out who is actually a real person connected to your game/hiding from a person in their game.

Like the, actually pretty fun, Assassin's Creed multiplayer mode?

Man, even that is derivative of something they already did in another game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LoonShia posted:

Like the, actually pretty fun, Assassin's Creed multiplayer mode?

Man, even that is derivative of something they already did in another game.

Yeah, except it happens randomly whenever you're not busy doing a mission. It's like AC cross with Dark Souls- suddenly a message pops up that you are being hacked, and you have a few minutes in which to try to find the guy, sometimes with a hint on the automap about the area to look. The incentives are set up to keep you fairly close together and the invader isn't allowed to just shoot you so it's cat and mouse the whole time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also a mode where you were supposed to tail another player and if you did it right they would never even know you were connected into their game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
That sounds like so much fun but I've heard terrible things about W_D.

Also no one ever seems to play that kinda stuff the way it's supposed to be played. Which ruined the mp for Assassin's Creed for me. Everyone would just run around on the drat rooftops spamming their wrist gun.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Smelly posted:

Also no one ever seems to play that kinda stuff the way it's supposed to be played. Which ruined the mp for Assassin's Creed for me. Everyone would just run around on the drat rooftops spamming their wrist gun.

That's pretty much what happens when games give you some kind of record win/lose thing. In Pokemon Y, people would shut off their game on you if you were winning - X and Y doesn't count losses, but it counts matches so it looks like you lost the match when your record comes up and you don't get the win. It seemed really spiteful after awhile so I just quit - will probably give online in Omega Ruby or Sapphire in the future.

Smash bro isn't as bad with the "fun" mode, sure you'll usually get one or two Ike's but you can gently caress around without being branded or anything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Smelly posted:

That wasnt my experience at all. AC multiplayer was one of the few multiplayer modes which caught my interest for more than a week or two, played on and off from I think Brotherhood, definately played some IV and black flag. There were a bunch of different modes, but in most of them (depending which AC game we are talking about) running around rooftops spamming the wrist gun was a good way of scoring no points whatsoever. If you ran on the rooftops you were high profile and showed on everyones radar. If they were blending you would have no idea who you should target with your ranged weapon (which had a lengthy cooldown and wouldnt always kill in one hit even if you targeted a player rather than an NPC). The main mode I tended to play you had one specific target, and another player had you as their target, the only way of scoring points was to kill your target and evade your pursuer, so running along the rooftops would be completelly counterproductive because if you were high profile your pursuer could spot you easily and your prey would see who to avoid. Capture the artifact (Flag) type modes you could get away with just running like gently caress sometimes, but I got a lot of milage out of blending near my teams artifact (preferably using a disuise ability) and stealth assassinating anyone who sprinted near me.

There was a bunch of stuff that annoyed me about it too; The unlock system was obviously designed so that you would just use microtransactions to unlock some abilities early because you earned unlock points ridiculously slowly, the mimic ability you got early should technically have been good for previewing higher level abilities but as you just got a logo with a button prompt you would often have no idea what the hell the ability you just copied was or when it should be used, a lot of the abilities flat out sucked, some of the maps werent that great and so on. I couldnt give less of a gently caress about playing AC co-op (I only have about half a dozen friends with a PS4 at this point and not all of them like AC, and I cant imaging playingg with randoms being a great experience), and for once a game NOT having a competative multiplayer mode is a strike against it for me.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

graybook posted:

I started a group playthrough with two others tonight.

Our original plan was to have a group of 4 so that all characters would be played, but... then we decided to do a Claptrap-only group with just us three.

It's glorious, ridiculous chaos. One guy's doing the Boomtrap tree or whichever, I'm focusing on the middle one with all the "more benefits with friends" dealio, and our third is taking the right tree mostly which is going to be really tricky for her to play once she invests more points.

I hate to say it but I just looked at Claptrap's skill tree and he looks almost, guh, fun to play. I might have to restart with him since I'm almost done. Or I assume I am, I'm about to storm Hyperion.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SiKboy posted:

That wasnt my experience at all. AC multiplayer was one of the few multiplayer modes which caught my interest for more than a week or two, played on and off from I think Brotherhood, definately played some IV and black flag. There were a bunch of different modes, but in most of them (depending which AC game we are talking about) running around rooftops spamming the wrist gun was a good way of scoring no points whatsoever. If you ran on the rooftops you were high profile and showed on everyones radar. If they were blending you would have no idea who you should target with your ranged weapon (which had a lengthy cooldown and wouldnt always kill in one hit even if you targeted a player rather than an NPC). The main mode I tended to pay you had one specific target, and another player had you as their target, the only way of scoring points was to kill your target and evade your pursuer, so running along the rooftops would be completelly counterproductive because if you were high profile your pursuer could spot you easily and your prey would see who to avoid. Capture the artifact (Flag) type modes you could get away with just running like gently caress sometimes, but I got a lot of milage out of blending near my teams artifact (preferably using a disuise ability) and stealth assassinating anyone who sprinted near me.

There was a bunch of stuff that annoyed me about it too; The unlock system was obviously designed so that you would just use microtransactions to unlock some abilities early because you earned unlock points ridiculously slowly, the mimic ability you got early should technically have been good for previewing higher level abilities but as you just got a logo with a button prompt you would often have no idea what the hell the ability you just copied was or when it should be used, a lot of the abilities flat out sucked, some of the maps werent that great and so on. I couldnt give less of a gently caress about playing AC co-op (I only have about half a dozen friends with a PS4 at this point and not all of them like AC, and I cant imaging playingg with randoms being a great experience), and for once a game NOT having a competative multiplayer mode is a strike against it for me.

The single target was what I played too but 98% of the time everyone treated it like deathmatch. They didn't care about anything but the amount of kills they were getting.

It really ruined it for me. That was on Brotherhood. I never did get around to playing black flag's.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Male Man posted:

That's how it works in the Star Wars tabletop and is my favorite version of HP followed closely by Vampire (in White Wolf): A vampire won't die unless exposed to sunlight, too much fire, a big, BIG and repeated shot to the head, filled with so many bullets that they literally are ripped apart or manage to fail a roll in swinging a chainsaw (automatic critical fail at the highest damage tier).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Male Man posted:

This is how I take everything like hit points and stuff in RPGs too. Like, when watching Final Fantasy: Advent Children, you notice the characters dodging and blocking every single attack that comes their way. I just figure, when they don't manage to use their supernatural sword skills to block that one bullet to their chest, that's when their HP runs out or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Smelly posted:

There were incentives to win and they made it to be difficult to do so if you weren't playing in the "proper" way so most people didn't really screw around with those modes. Probably also helped that there was just a mode where you would run around shooting each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

There was also a mode where you were supposed to tail another player and if you did it right they would never even know you were connected into their game.

You did know, it just didn't give you any guidance beyond the invasion alert. I lost a ton of those by sitting around waiting for the purple circle to pop up only to be told it was the other kind of hack and I was just successfully tailed.

There were also a couple of tells you cold use to detect people before the alert popped up, like time no longer stopping when you opened the map.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Oct 20, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Smelly posted:

The single target was what I played too but 98% of the time everyone treated it like deathmatch. They didn't care about anything but the amount of kills they were getting.

It really ruined it for me. That was on Brotherhood. I never did get around to playing black flag's.

They fixed that at some point. In Black Flag you have a meter that builds up the longer you have someone targeted while staying low profile. If you run in sight of them or lose sight of them, it starts to drain. At the meter's lowest, you get 150 points (IIRC) for killing someone. In addition to the meter, using various sneaky methods adds multipliers. If you get close enough to lock on to your target, have the meter full, and strike from hiding, you can net 1000 points or more for a kill.

Another thing worth mentioning is because the game uses matchmaking, you will get matched with people playing that mode running around on the roofs at first. As you level up and establish a skill level, it will start matching you with people who play properly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

This is how I take everything like hit points and stuff in RPGs too. Like, when watching Final Fantasy: Advent Children, you notice the characters dodging and blocking every single attack that comes their way. I just figure, when they don't manage to use their supernatural sword skills to block that one bullet to their chest, that's when their HP runs out or something.

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.
As if, apart from everything else and luck being part of what HP are all official rules text-like, that wasn't a perfectly reasonable explanation to begin with.