Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I'm going to see the war on drugs in concert tomorrow which will be really exciting.

I loved the last foxygen album and have some really serious connections to it but the new album was not very good the first time I listened. It's also around an hour and a half long which is ridiculous

And the new bear in heaven wasn't very good either. I'm a big fan of their first two albums but they don't seem to know what to do with their sound anymore. It's just bland.

That new caribou album is amazing. The last song on the album, your love will set you free, is really great: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHlC4z7_lE

Other highlights include the singles, our love and can't do without you, as well as Mars and silver. It's a really great album and will probably be one of my favorites at the end.

Not as good as fka twigs but that's the best album released this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm going to see Sharon Van Etten in concert next Friday in Dallas. I really liked her new album, and bought the tickets solely based off of that. Listened to her other stuff, and didn't like it nearly as much, since the tour corresponds to its release I'm hoping she plays stuff mostly from it.

I personally prefer Sharon's earlier material, but that's mostly because I was first exposed to her as a solo act. Rest assured, however, that the set lists for this tour have mostly focused on material from Are We There. Enjoy the show!

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
The new Jukebox the Ghost album is out, it's pretty good.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

guppiehaus posted:

I was actually kind of embarrassed for Mike Kozelek when I heard about what happened with him and War on Drugs. I guess I just don't get his "joke". I'm sure Kozelek is genuine when he says he doesn't mean any serious harm, but I can't help but feel this is one of those shoulda-never-blown-up-in-the-first-place turned pissing match for the public incidents.

Anyway here's more music:

Anyone else stoked for new Foxygen? I have to admit I don't really like their first single How Can You Really, but We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic was one of my favorite albums from last year. Here's another released track from their upcoming album ...And Star Power entitled Cosmic Vibrations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yTsz90FvU

i think Mark Kozelek just enjoys playing a caricature of himself for the purpose of entertainment/loving with people. Saw him about a month ago and it was really good (prob because everyone was acting like they were in church and there was a strict no phone policy).

saw Foxygen last weekend, wasn't impressed at all. they still sound good on a record but live it was just a mess IMO and the sound was bad.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Mariana Horchata posted:

saw Foxygen last weekend, wasn't impressed at all. they still sound good on a record but live it was just a mess IMO and the sound was bad.
I saw them a month ago at a festival and I agree. I liked their first album a lot but they only played a few actual songs... I think? It was more like a weird jam session. Also, the lead singer was actively trying to not really sing but instead running around the stage and growling.

Anyhow, I really like the new We Were Promised Jetpacks that was released yesterday. http://www.stereogum.com/1709414/stream-we-were-promised-jetpacks-unravelling-stereogum-premiere/tour-dates/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Foxygen is a horrendously bad act. Good music, but they're terrible both professionally (to people who work shows/the industry) and to the fans. They'll disappear and no show, show up way late to gigs, devolve into jam band nonsense, and just be antagonistic to the crowd. Such a shame.

Still love Take the Kids Off Broadway, and "We Are..." though, classic albums.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Uh, about that:

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/17/foxygen-performs-live/

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

oh man i totally forgot about the dancers...it was p much that minus all the mania and the same horrible sound

seeing flying lotus tonight and j mascis tomorrow...no theres no possible way that either of those are going to be anything close to a waste of a night like foxygen was.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

interpunct posted:

I personally prefer Sharon's earlier material, but that's mostly because I was first exposed to her as a solo act. Rest assured, however, that the set lists for this tour have mostly focused on material from Are We There. Enjoy the show!

Was a good concert overall, though she played mostly older and "teaser" songs despite like you said most of the previous set lists indicating that she would be playing predominately new album material. She had a lot more personality than I was expecting and interacted with the crowd a lot.

Thinking about going to a Tennis concert, in early November, anyone have any experience with them? Alt+J is playing the same venue roughly a day or so later as well but, I'm not sure if I could see myself really enjoying them live.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

jiffypop45 posted:

Was a good concert overall, though she played mostly older and "teaser" songs despite like you said most of the previous set lists indicating that she would be playing predominately new album material. She had a lot more personality than I was expecting and interacted with the crowd a lot.

Thinking about going to a Tennis concert, in early November, anyone have any experience with them? Alt+J is playing the same venue roughly a day or so later as well but, I'm not sure if I could see myself really enjoying them live.

I saw a free show that Tennis did some months back, they were pretty solid. The main person talked to the crowd and seemed into it.

Jagwires
May 31, 2009

incoherent posted:

Foxygen is a horrendously bad act. Good music, but they're terrible both professionally (to people who work shows/the industry) and to the fans. They'll disappear and no show, show up way late to gigs, devolve into jam band nonsense, and just be antagonistic to the crowd. Such a shame.

Still love Take the Kids Off Broadway, and "We Are..." though, classic albums.

I went to a Foxygen concert once. Two minutes into the first song, the singer steps up on a monitor. He then proceeded to fall forward off the stage and break his leg.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had the opportunity to see Foxygen (though at a pretty high cost). Glad I decided to do that after all, if the horror stories here are to be believed. Thats no fun.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Avocados posted:

I had the opportunity to see Foxygen (though at a pretty high cost). Glad I decided to do that after all, if the horror stories here are to be believed. Thats no fun.

I would have considered it had I not read this topic :cripes: I cant imagine what would make you want to do that to people who are supporting your ability to presumably do what you enjoy. Hell I would go so far as to avoid buying their LPs and just stick to the .mp3's. (I really only enjoyed "How Can I Really" off of their most recent anyway which wouldnt have made it an LP buy worthy candidate for me anyway).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Not horribly surprising, yet awesome news that Sleater-Kinney has reunited; has a new LP out in January (video for single in link). They're touring, too.

My unabashed love for Carrie Brownstein (drat I miss her on NPR) and Corin Tucker aside, they went out on such a high note with The Woods nine years ago that I'm pretty excited.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Something tells me the main reason they have got back together is.....

Yes, you guessed it, Portlandia.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Not horribly surprising, yet awesome news that Sleater-Kinney has reunited; has a new LP out in January (video for single in link). They're touring, too.

My unabashed love for Carrie Brownstein (drat I miss her on NPR) and Corin Tucker aside, they went out on such a high note with The Woods nine years ago that I'm pretty excited.

Hell. loving. Yes.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Last night I saw We Were Promised Jetpacks live and they blew me away/rocked my socks off/were pretty amazing. They released a new album ("Unravelling") last week and it was my first taste of the new stuff. It's darker and a little bit more ambitious than their past two albums, and you could tell during the live show. Stuff like the first single "I Keep It Composed" and "Night Terror" were a lot less shouty and anthemic than older songs, and were highlights of the show for me.

I used to like their first album the most because they reminded me of old Bloc Party, and I miss old Bloc Party. Hearing the new stuff live was great though, and I'm going to have to pick up a super-high-quality version of it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

My life is complete.

The new song is pretty good too, and they're playing at one of my favorite venues (the Slowdown in Omaha...I'd expected the Sokol if they came to Omaha at all), which will be rowdy as gently caress.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Still gutted about losing my yellow dog Sleatet-Kinney t-shirt that I bought off Carrie. Glad to hear they are coming back!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

My life is complete.

The new song is pretty good too, and they're playing at one of my favorite venues (the Slowdown in Omaha...I'd expected the Sokol if they came to Omaha at all), which will be rowdy as gently caress.

One of the louder shows I've seen at the Waiting Room was Wild Flag, like, three years ago.

E: And S-K played Sokol Underground back in '05, for what that's worth.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 20, 2014

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so pumped about this! This forum (:filez:, actually ) introduced me to S-K with All Hands a dozen years ago. Now that I'm done making excuses not to see bands I love, I'm thinking I might fly to SLC or Denver to catch them (and get some snowboarding in). Does anyone have any feelings for The Depot vs the Ogden Theater?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

monsterzero posted:

Does anyone have any feelings for The Depot vs the Ogden Theater?
I've been to the Ogden maybe a dozen times when I lived near Denver. To me, it seems like a "typical" concert venue (unremarkable acoustics, minimum upkeep, etc).

However, if you like vegan/vegetarian food, Watercourse Foods is only a couple of blocks away from it and that would be a big enough draw for me.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Cheesus posted:

However, if you like vegan/vegetarian food, Watercourse Foods is only a couple of blocks away from it and that would be a big enough draw for me.

I wore out my F5 key for a SLC ticket to no avail, hopefully I'll have better luck Friday... When I'm in Denver I make a point of only eating fried testicles and pot candies, washed down with Banquet Beer(tm).

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Last night I saw We Were Promised Jetpacks live and they blew me away/rocked my socks off/were pretty amazing. They released a new album ("Unravelling") last week and it was my first taste of the new stuff. It's darker and a little bit more ambitious than their past two albums, and you could tell during the live show. Stuff like the first single "I Keep It Composed" and "Night Terror" were a lot less shouty and anthemic than older songs, and were highlights of the show for me.

I used to like their first album the most because they reminded me of old Bloc Party, and I miss old Bloc Party. Hearing the new stuff live was great though, and I'm going to have to pick up a super-high-quality version of it.

I'm bummed that their Canadian tour consisted only of Montreal and Toronto. Surely they could have squeezed in a stop at the nation's capital?! I'm really liking the new album though, it's a lot better than what the first single led me to believe.

I have a good prairie music weekend coming up though with Regina's Rah Rah on Friday and Winnipeg's Royal Canoe on Saturday. Should make up for not getting Jetpacks.

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 21, 2014

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
So I am super biased because I know Foxygen personally, but their show in Boston was one of the best live shows I've been to. Definitely improved over the last time I saw them. The crowd was just crazy hyped--I've never seen that much energy outside of a punk show.

Also add me to the huge list of people that incredibly excited to see Sleater-Kinney.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The new ariel pink album "pom pom" is floating around and it fuckin' rules

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I couldn't get anyone to do the tennis concert with me so I am going to Death from Above 1979 the week after. Really liked their first album when it came out. When I was in high school The guy I am taking is a metal head so I am not 100% sure what he is expecting as I think I sold him on the band name.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Get as loving drunk as you can, ignore the sound quality, and go nuts. The slow parts are when a new song is playing. Drink during those parts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am also gonna be seeing DFA1979 live for the first time, at a festival in a little over a week :getin:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Saw DFA1979 last night and it was such an incredible gig. They played everything from The Physical World (apart from Nothin' Left, which they replaced with Dead Womb) and most of the tunes I wanted to hear from YAWIAM apart from Pull Out. Grainger's vocals were a bit quiet, but his drums and JFK's bass were loud as hell and the vibe was still loving insane. Definitely see DFA if you can.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I honestly liked The Physical World almost as much as their first album, which was a pleasant surprise.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Here's my last.fm all time read out on my top 15 artists. Anybody have some recommendations for new music? I haven't hardly found any albums this year that I've really liked :(

1. Pearl Jam (10,101)
2. Radiohead (4,361)
3. The National (3,338)
4. The Beatles (2,008)
5. Sigur Rós (1,893)
6. M83 (1,889)
7. Interpol (1,456)
8. My Morning Jacket (1,435)
9. The Strokes (1,051)
10. Sufjan Stevens (1,038)
11. The Flaming Lips (990)
12. Andrew Bird (982)
13. LCD Soundsystem (913)
14. Led Zeppelin (856)
15. Tame Impala (820)

Notable bands I've been listening to this year: Foals, Junip, War on Drugs, On an On, and Joy Formidable.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

89 posted:

Here's my last.fm all time read out on my top 15 artists. Anybody have some recommendations for new music? I haven't hardly found any albums this year that I've really liked :(

My buddy who likes Pearl Jam a lot really liked the Royal Blood album. I really like the Glass Animals album too. Worth checking out.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yup Glass Animals is a strong suggestion.

Pond if you like tame impala:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE9Dz0pl5mk

De Lux if you like LCD soundsystem (Well, the really lifted elements of the talking heads from LCD Soundsystem):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5eAcWbFLrk

And I can't believe your not listening to spoon with that list.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you like Tame Impala maybe you would like Boogarins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8binZHmd8

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Australian (Melbourne) indie/folksy punk darlings The Smith St Band have their new album up for stream.
http://themusic.com.au/music/streams/2014/10/27/exclusive-stream-the-smith-street-band-throw-me-in-the-river/
Is this the right thread for this? I dunno, dont care, whatevs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I saw Cuddle Magic when they opened for Death Vessel last weekend in RI, and they might be my new favorite band. Just a fantastic warm sound to all their songs and they killed it live. Uncommon to see a non-commercial group that has such a good blend of sound, lots of vocals/instruments going on and all the parts were so clean and distinct.

Edit: Had this song in my head all morning. Even better live though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Jer8XwAbU

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 27, 2014

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I discovered Ex Hex a few days ago and was able to catch them live last night, they were awesome. All girl punk-rock pop trio. I would say they sound close to The Men and and a faster paced Dum Dum girls. They just released their first album this month and it's getting great reviews.

New Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKu2U61QMM

Don't Want To Lose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZVn1UrCvjc

Slandible fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wasn't sure where to post this, whether in the ambient thread or the electro thread or here, but I decided on here: Arms & Sleepers have a new album coming out tomorrow, entitled Swim Team, which you can stream here. It's really dope. It sounds more electronic/sample-based than anything they've ever done before, but a Tycho/Baths sort of chillwave type electronic. That article calls it "J Dilla meets Tycho" and I'd say that's pretty accurate so far. If you want some chill electronic poo poo to listen to, check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, this is starting to get kinda pathetic