Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

eschaton posted:

haiku ships a web browser and it actually works

of course 99% of that is because it's WebKit based but the other 1% is because haiku is actually willing to make reasonable decisions about interface instead of leave them up to each developer

by "make decisions" I really mean "ask themselves 'what would Be have done in early 1996?' and then do that" but that's still a better decision process than any X-Windows based user environment has ever used. which is why haiku managed to build a system from scratch that's 100x as usable in a fraction the time with a fraction the resources (seriously, give the latest nightly a try in a VM, it's like a 256MB bootable image)

question is, does haiku ship and actually work? do you still have to run it in a vm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Haiku also uses a GCC C++ abi from 1996 so you have to use some hacked to poo poo compiler to target it iirc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bobbilljim posted:

question is, does haiku ship and actually work? do you still have to run it in a vm?

you can run it on real hardware too, I can boot a circa-2004 PC from the live image on a usb key and it loving flies

pram
Jun 10, 2001
please stop dredging up the corpse of beos, let it die

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

Haiku also uses a GCC C++ abi from 1996 so you have to use some hacked to poo poo compiler to target it iirc

that's okay, haiku includes a working compiler in the 250MB download

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i cant believe u come in here trash talkin X and gnome and then bring up loving haiku seriously lmfao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

why, when it's a better desktop environment than Linux?

(obv it doesn't hold a candle to OS X, the best operating system)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
idk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

i cant believe u come in here trash talkin X and gnome and then bring up loving haiku seriously lmfao

:tipshat:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why, when it's a better desktop environment than Linux?

(obv it doesn't hold a candle to OS X, the best operating system)

how can one man be so wrong about so many things

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how can one man be so wrong about so many things

I bet you'd prefer it to gnome 3!

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

beos was the first OS to support digital vinyl because that was the OS the prototype was built on then it went to linux and then windows (lmfao)

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

I nearly shelled out $5000 for a sony laptop running beos so i could be one of the first in the world to use digital vinyl

then i came to my senses

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

not really, just loving around 'cos I'm bored and curious, mostly

but enough about your marriage!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

beos was the first OS to support digital vinyl because that was the OS the prototype was built on then it went to linux and then windows (lmfao)

i have no idea what digital vinyl is and google's coming up blank

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2jm2me/the_city_of_edinburgh_urgently_needs_to_cut_costs/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i remember being tempted by beos after reading "in the beginning was the command line"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

So much libertarian bad advice ughhh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thread summary: "lol @ mac os x, it doesnt have the following useless tools for nerds that no one cares about: xx, yy, zz"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thread summary: lots of people caring about reknowned piece of poo poo os osx randomly in a non-osx thread

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Its a Linux

Shaggar was right

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

fighting against the OS isn't "working".

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thread summary: lots of people caring about reknowned piece of poo poo os osx randomly in a non-osx thread

osx owns

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
gnome 3 would be nice but it's completely unfuckingusable. you cant set the background of a terminal to be partially transparent. end of story.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hint: its because using os x is better than cobbling together broken linux poo poo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lysidas posted:

gnome 3 would be nice but it's completely unfuckingusable. you cant set the background of a terminal to be partially transparent. end of story.

who actually cares about this after turning sixteen

sure let's deliberately make my text less readable because my username is zer0_k00l_420

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

You mean you don't work with TV playing in the background behind your translucent terminal?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

Haiku still uses terrible linux font rendering therefore making it just as bad to use. BeOS had beautiful fonts and font rendering which is why it was good. :colbert:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

linux is an operating system.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Pike posted:

linux is an operating system.

therefore linux is a POS

Q E D

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

osx owns

Last Chance posted:

hint: its because using os x is better than cobbling together broken linux poo poo.

quality iyg posting right there guys, those purchases sure are defended!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
we all defend our purchases, only difference is that some of us are right

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Moving from Microsoft SQL Server to PostgreSQL can save an organization a lot of money with little to no effort,

quote:

can save an organization a lot of money with little to no effort,

quote:

little to no effort,

ah ha ha ha ha hh aha haaaaaah ha ha ahaha aaa

edit bonus:

quote:

Switch from Oracle database to Postgres or Hadoop, the former for transactional DBs and the latter for data warehousing. Saves 100K's from the very beginning

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

we all defend our purchases, only difference is that some of us are right

if you actually literally care about operating systems please actually literally kill yourself

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Yes, I am a "linux fanboy"; but the difference between me and fanboys is that I know what I'm doing; my $85k/yr paycheck pretty much proves it.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

power botton posted:

Yes, I am a "linux fanboy"; but the difference between me and fanboys is that I know what I'm doing; my $85k/yr paycheck pretty much proves it.

power botton posted:

power botton posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
85k probably puts him in reddit's top 1%

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
guys

he manages over three hundred servers

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2608870/linux/you-have-your-windows-in-my-linux.html lol

*nix is good, dealing with the specific brands of autismal fuckery is better than the alternatives. don't hate the player hate the gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Only an idiot would think that switching to Linux would lower costs. There were a few projects at Red Hat that started out with the initiative of "lower the price of a starting Linux sysadmin" to compete with Windows. They pivoted away from that goal, unfortunately.