Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I doubt that his college didn't give him some web space, especially if he's taking CS classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark Helmut posted:

Ian, I have a client seeking a resource just like you.

:argh:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Grouchio posted:

Unfortunately the webpage it goes to is not only private, but happens to be on a thumb drive that I probably left on campus (the professor has it probably).

Ian. We know when you're lying to us.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Grouchio
Whatchu gonna do
Whatchu gonna do
Make your C: internet accessible

Time for a new thread:

file:///C:/xampp/htdocs/forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm struggling to breathe, send help. I can be found on c:/MySides/OhGodMySides/TheyFlewOff

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Not to interrupt the entertainment but I was thinking I might upgrade all our laptops from their OEM Win 8 Pro to Win 8.1 Enterprise. I want access to Bitlocker/Applocker and as a bonus I was thinking I could primarily run all the laptops from flash drives via Windows-To-Go. I'm going to start testing but is this a horrible idea from the outset?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Windows To Go works surprisingly well but having a large protruding thumb drive out of any device is just asking for trouble.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Does Windows-To-Go work on m2? I grabbed a 128GB m2 for my T440p and it's great. Gets around the protruding usb drive issue.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Windows To Go works surprisingly well but having a large protruding thumb drive out of any device is just asking for trouble.

I was indeed thinking about that, I've seen quite a few drives broken off in my years by users stuffing laptops into their travel bags. I figure I could buy a USB duplicator like this http://www.aleratec.com/1-to-10-usb-3-0-thumb-flash-drive-duplicator-copy-cruiser-mini-330113.html and just give out drives like candy. If I use GPO to force all files to sync on both the flash drive and OneDrive then hopefully anyone can use any drive anywhere.

mayodreams posted:

Does Windows-To-Go work on m2? I grabbed a 128GB m2 for my T440p and it's great. Gets around the protruding usb drive issue.

Why would you put Win-To-Go on a hard drive that isn't removable? Sort of defeats the point.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

You're suppose to use a certified drive and I tried making my own "non-certified" drive and it won't boot.

I guess there must be something unique to the hardware, I can boot Ubuntu from the same drive but not Windows 8.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The device should have high read/write speed. That's all I remember.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zero VGS posted:

I was indeed thinking about that, I've seen quite a few drives broken off in my years by users stuffing laptops into their travel bags. I figure I could buy a USB duplicator like this http://www.aleratec.com/1-to-10-usb-3-0-thumb-flash-drive-duplicator-copy-cruiser-mini-330113.html and just give out drives like candy. If I use GPO to force all files to sync on both the flash drive and OneDrive then hopefully anyone can use any drive anywhere.

Why would you put Win-To-Go on a hard drive that isn't removable? Sort of defeats the point.

I guess that's true. How about SD cards? In a lot of newer machines they sit flush.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm about 3 months into my first corporate/IT job. I had no clue it was possible to have this many meetings and conference calls. And the amount of corporate speak I've been exposed to... I thought it was only in TV and Movies.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 20, 2014

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I'm about 3 months into my first corporate/IT job. I had no clue it was possible to have this many meetings and conference calls. And the amount of corporate speak I've been exposed to... I thought it was only in TV and Movies.

Get your buzzword bingo sheet ready.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mayodreams posted:

I guess that's true. How about SD cards? In a lot of newer machines they sit flush.

That would be excellent but I have a feeling that most of these laptops won't support SD Card booting in the BIOS.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I really want to know how old Ian is now. I know he said college but I'd put money on a "continuing education" situation. Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pudgygiant posted:

I really want to know how old Ian is now. I know he said college but I'd put money on a "continuing education" situation. Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like.

Kids these days aren't any better than they were in "your" days. Probably worse, because we can reasonably expect Ian has always had broadband and grew up on Windows XP.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

The average age of Facebook employees is 26. On average just by starting a grad program you'd essentially be aging yourself out of startup culture. I'm not railing against age discrimination by any means, just saying that whether it's true or not the stigma is kids these days ARE better at it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm in the Stanley VCP5 class that's online and I'm thinking making my own lab would be a good idea and I also need a HTPC. Why not combine the two? This ThinkServer Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 looks ok and I'll put in 16GBs, single SSD and whatever video card.

My only concern, do I have to have the Xeon for just a ESXi lab?

EDIT - Hopefully this isn't too off-topic but I wasn't sure where else to post this :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

I have no idea how to complete that assignment and I'm 27, I guess that makes me an old man, though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I have no idea how to complete that assignment and I'm 27, I guess that makes me an old man, though?

Please stop making me feel ancient :(

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

We had to do a Geocities page for middle school computer class, it's a bit more complex than that. But for a college web design class, as homework, where the use of Google is implied? It's absolutely babby's first web page.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

We had to do a Geocities page for middle school computer class, it's a bit more complex than that. But for a college web design class, as homework, where the use of Google is implied? It's absolutely babby's first web page.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to do it, but "Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like." is the same dumb "Oh this is all easy for you guys!" bullshit users like to say as if none of us worked at learning anything (and it's an excuse to not pay us more, too.)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

I'm in the Stanley VCP5 class that's online and I'm thinking making my own lab would be a good idea and I also need a HTPC. Why not combine the two? This ThinkServer Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 looks ok and I'll put in 16GBs, single SSD and whatever video card.

My only concern, do I have to have the Xeon for just a ESXi lab?

EDIT - Hopefully this isn't too off-topic but I wasn't sure where else to post this :(

Absolutely not but the box is a great deal :shobon: Each version of ESX has a hardware compatibility list with a huge range of options. All you're looking for with Intel is a chip that supports VT which could even be the new Pentium. You would also want to make sure to pick up registered memory if you get a server board (the Lenovo above doesn't support it). It's probably rougher to learn, but you can install embedded ESX onto another virtual machine and do VM-ception without buying any new hardware

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to do it, but "Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like." is the same dumb "Oh this is all easy for you guys!" bullshit users like to say as if none of us worked at learning anything (and it's an excuse to not pay us more, too.)

Nah it was just a "drat kids get off my lawn" rant because I work with people significantly younger than me (and I'm only 28). If anything I agree with you, they're willing to work for less which makes it harder for people like you and me to get things like a raise or house or basic benefits.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hughmoris posted:

6 months into mine, and you're hilariously correct.

Also, the Dilbert comic strip has new meaning to me.

Relevant to one of my projects in which we were literally told "Ok well we decided to go with this other service so can you go back and change the graphs to back up that decision?"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I am working with a guy who literally refuses to consider using anything made this century, it's driving me crazy. Scripts? Gotta be ksh. Proxy? Gotta be Squid, lol what are nginx and varnish. Configuration Management? CFengine ftw you see computers reached perfection in 1998.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pudgygiant posted:

Nah it was just a "drat kids get off my lawn" rant because I work with people significantly younger than me (and I'm only 28). If anything I agree with you, they're willing to work for less which makes it harder for people like you and me to get things like a raise or house or basic benefits.
They're willing to work for what they can expect at their skill and experience level. If you're competing with them and expecting more than the market rate, that's on you.

Pudgygiant posted:

The average age of Facebook employees is 26. On average just by starting a grad program you'd essentially be aging yourself out of startup culture. I'm not railing against age discrimination by any means, just saying that whether it's true or not the stigma is kids these days ARE better at it.

I'll take absurd over generalization for $500.

Facebook isn't a startup anymore. But picking the average age of any startup employee and saying "kids are better" is inane. Go back in time and pick MS or Apple or any other company in their infancy. Startups are a young person's game and always have been.

Saying "the average age of Facebook employees is 26, young kids ARE better, QED" doesn't make any sense without comparing to industry demographics (and while FB has smart people, it's not a reasonable descriptor for the company was a whole, or startups in general).

As far as I can tell, the people who really think growing up with computers somehow makes you better at it are the media. People in non-IT fields probably have a leg up from familiarity, but that familiarity is much farther away from IT work than it used to be

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, I think the folks who grew up having to code BASIC stuff to play games or whatever are a shitload better off than people who grew up with iOS.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

I'll take absurd over generalization for $500.

Facebook isn't a startup anymore. But picking the average age of any startup employee and saying "kids are better" is inane. Go back in time and pick MS or Apple or any other company in their infancy. Startups are a young person's game and always have been.

Saying "the average age of Facebook employees is 26, young kids ARE better, QED" doesn't make any sense without comparing to industry demographics (and while FB has smart people, it's not a reasonable descriptor for the company was a whole, or startups in general).

FB is a terrible example to use anyway when talking about average ages, since Zuckerberg is on record saying that younger people are just smarter, to the loving founder of Oracle, of all people (I think that's who it was). With an attitude like that from the CEO, is it any surprise that they hire young?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone worked for a place where their tier one tech was in charge of purchasing phones/ipads/laptops/desktops?

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

the spyder posted:

Has anyone worked for a place where their tier one tech was in charge of purchasing phones/ipads/laptops/desktops?

Yes, where I work currently. We have like 100 employees.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apparently this course is a pre-requisite for a massive 4-language IT class crucial for IT majors. Which is why it's so very rigorous. I have two weeks to do this next assignment on forms.

I will certainly be talking with my advisor about this. And I may withdraw.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

along the way posted:

Yes, where I work currently. We have like 100 employees.

How well does it work out? Are they purchasing off a list of pre approved systems/phones? Does the department manager sign off?

I'm just a bit shocked by this one firm that wants to give 100% control to a brand new employee.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grouchio posted:

Apparently this course is a pre-requisite for a massive 4-language IT class crucial for IT majors. Which is why it's so very rigorous. I have two weeks to do this next assignment on forms.

It's really not that rigorous as far as web design goes. The mistakes you're making in your posting about it are incredibly elementary and not even related to knowing how HTML works.

Also why do they have a 4-language class?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grouchio posted:

You should be talking to your professor during office hours to find out why you think it's so difficult. It's his job to teach you and help you through this stuff (within reason). Make use of it.

What is an "IT major"? Is that CS? MIS? CIS? CE?

Go look at w3schools.

Bluntly, nothing you've posted is rigorous. It's the kind of stuff you would have found in a "teach yourself HTML in 24 hours" book in 2003 (it probably still is in those books), because you can teach yourself how forms and postdata work in 45 minutes with reasonable instruction and a little aptitude.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Anyone have experience with lovely installs/updates? Some genius tried to update bit9 on like 300 machines and hosed it up, and was also stopped before rolling it out to more thank god but he was then fired before he could fix it.

I have been handed this seemingly Gordian knot and am confused as poo poo. I tried to install the update and it says "hey, there is no bit9 to update." So I go to try a fresh base install and it says "hey, bit9 is already installed you doofus" so I try to go uninstall it and its not in any uninstall list and has no uninstaller in the folder. I tried to outright delete the folder, cause hey looks like its not attached or seen by anything, but am told I can't because SYSTEM owns the files. Elevated my rights, tried to delete again and no go. Logged in as admin and tried, same thing.

How in the poo poo do I remove this? I thought re-installing/trying to repair would give me what I needed to uninstall or patch but I cant do that, and I cant patch because nothing is installed. I just gave up for the afternoon but am going to try again in the morning with Revo or some other similar crap but I dont have much hope.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

the spyder posted:

How well does it work out? Are they purchasing off a list of pre approved systems/phones? Does the department manager sign off?

I'm just a bit shocked by this one firm that wants to give 100% control to a brand new employee.

It works out okay. No list really. We just work directly with our vendors and service providers and try to stick to the same models to keep support as simple as possible. We select the equipment based on business requirements, discuss it with our manager, and have him approve the purchase.

Yeah, I dunno the situation there, but that does seem potentially problematic. Hopefully the FNG will use common sense with surveying the current inventory and what's in production before making purchasing decisions.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

along the way posted:

It works out okay. No list really. We just work directly with our vendors and service providers and try to stick to the same models to keep support as simple as possible. We select the equipment based on business requirements, discuss it with our manager, and have him approve the purchase.

Yeah, I dunno the situation there, but that does seem potentially problematic. Hopefully the FNG will use common sense with surveying the current inventory and what's in production before making purchasing decisions.

Yea, it's a complete mess. All 100% custom built "gamer" desktops ranging from 3 months - 5 years old. No WDS, WSUS, software management. Ugg. At least it's not my problem. I'm just not seeing this as a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

the spyder posted:

I ended up doing most of the end-user hardware purchasing at my first IT job, which was a ~80 person startup. I was technically under the IT Manager but he was incredibly lazy and happy to pawn off any responsibilities he possibly could to me (which was awesome for learning opportunities :)). It was pretty much as you said, we had a set list of 3-4 different machines and phones people could have depending on their role in the company (sales, developer, ~~Executive~~). When someone was hired, I'd fire off an order to Dell/Apple and have the finance person sign off. Wasn't a big deal.

The responsibility wasn't handed to me on day 1, but maybe 6 months into the job.