Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I got a Wii U recently, and it really drags Okami down that it's not on that. Here's the perfect hardware finally but no one's going to port it again.

Wonderful 101's on the WiiU, and uses the gamepad pretty much perfectly for the same ways Okami would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Firstborn posted:

- Black Flag: Nobody cares about the Animus stuff. Please stop loving doing this. You are doing something cool, and get to break immersion and drive the pacing to a goddamn stand still while you walk around a big metacommentary on how hard it is to be a video game designer. gently caress you, Ubi Soft.

As someone who's only played Black Flag, the Animus stuff was kind of an interesting change of pace and I liked it. I can understand not wanting to break up the whole pirate-simulator with a day job, but you seem pretty disproportionately angry about it...especially since (for as long as I've played up to in the game, which is admittedly not far) after the first scene there the game doesn't really force you to spend much time in the "real" world at all.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

kazil posted:

Funny you mention these two because Mr. Freeze is by far the best fight the series ever did and Deadshot is the worst.

Yeah, the Deadshot fight sucked so hard that I almost just gave up on it entirely since it was optional but towards the end of the game it was bugging me to see DEFEATED stamped on all the other assassins' profiles but not his. I just meant the general idea of making it where the two of you are hunting each other and it's basically just a big Predator Room, instead of the "throw three batarangs, then a glue grenade, then your grappling hook 20 times and watch the exact same animation play out every time" of most other boss fights.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

What up, Desmond-liking-buddy. I don't give a poo poo about Ezio, or Altair, or Connor, or Jimbo or Francois or whatever, all their stories are the same and frankly their events are foregone conclusions. I want to see all the aliens stuff and the apocalyptic plans and what the gently caress is going to happen oh man, especially when it means getting to see more of the not-quite-future world and stuff.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sorry, the Animus stuff is pretty loving bad. rear end Creed thinks it's a little too clever. The only really good things rear end Creed has going for it is smooth freerunning and cool time periods.

Playing as Adam Sandler in what looks like Deux Ex: HR isn't fun or interesting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

What up, Desmond-liking-buddy. I don't give a poo poo about Ezio, or Altair, or Connor, or Jimbo or Francois or whatever, all their stories are the same and frankly their events are foregone conclusions. I want to see all the aliens stuff and the apocalyptic plans and what the gently caress is going to happen oh man, especially when it means getting to see more of the not-quite-future world and stuff.

I just wanna play a modern day AC game. Give me the climbing and the stabbing and the silly pointy outfit in a modern city already.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LoonShia posted:

I just wanna play a modern day AC game. Give me the climbing and the stabbing and the silly pointy outfit in a modern city already.

Hell, I think it would be pretty cool to have a mission where you tail a car from the rooftops towards it's destination to then either do an Air Assassination or even take him out with a rifle. And then have to escape somewhere into the urban jungle.

It's not necessarily Desmond people hated, it's that he never did anything interesting or memorable.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Who What Now posted:

Hell, I think it would be pretty cool to have a mission where you tail a car from the rooftops towards it's destination to then either do an Air Assassination or even take him out with a rifle. And then have to escape somewhere into the urban jungle.

It's not necessarily Desmond people hated, it's that he never did anything interesting or memorable.

I thought the present-day segments in ACIII were neat. If they'd had the UI elements, they'd've been even better.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Who What Now posted:

"Desmond, you must follow this car. You must do it undetected. You have to remain within 20 yards of it at all times to hear the conversation."

*Desmond just runs up a building for 20 minutes* Mission Failed.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Thing that drags all the post-brotherhood creeds down: Lack of 'The Truth' Puzzle segments. Those did a great job of detailing the present-day storyline, and a lot of them were pretty clever and well presented. They kind of brought that back in 4 with the whole computer hacking thing, but it didn't yield that much of interest compared to AC2 and Brotherhood.

Also count me in the camp of wanting a modern day assassin's creed. There's potential there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Modern-day AssCreed is what AC3 should have been all along, but they hosed it up and now I just want the AC to stop. All of the games post-Revelations have been aesthetically identical, and I don't know how you manage that in games about Revolutionary America, pirates, and Revolutionary France, and pirates in the north, but they did it. At this point they really need to do something totally off the wall like medieval India or something if there's any chance of me giving a poo poo about the series ever again.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

An AC game set in Ancient Egypt would have been dope also.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

LoonShia posted:

I'd love to see some more ancient world AC games like the Roman Empire (but not necessarily set in Rome since we've had Rome in AC2). They go on about eden and all that adam and eve stuff it'd be cool to see some BC storylines.

I also get annoyed with the present day crap.

beato has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Oct 20, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Everything good about AssCreedIV is about being a pirate and nothing to do with being an assassin. Every asssassin character I've played has actually done poo poo and stuff, as opposed to being bland, boring Nolan North, who never really climbed anything much at all. Everytime you dealt with Desmond you went from parkour-running through the crusades or italy, hidden blade stabbin', counter-killin', being a master assassin motherfucker to boring mc boringsville who don't do poo poo but advance some other, quasi related plot, which you probably don't care as a much about as all the stabbin' you've been doin'.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
With all the Assassin's Creed talk and the fact that I like pirates, I figured I'd try the series. So I started with the first game, planning to play through them all (because jumping right into Black Flag seems like I'd be totally lost with the time travel/genetic memory exploration story). Oh boy.

It's not a bad game at all by the mechanics, it's pretty fun to play and I like the story. However, it has some Things.

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thoughtless posted:

With all the Assassin's Creed talk and the fact that I like pirates, I figured I'd try the series. So I started with the first game, planning to play through them all (because jumping right into Black Flag seems like I'd be totally lost with the time travel/genetic memory exploration story). Oh boy.

It's not a bad game at all by the mechanics, it's pretty fun to play and I like the story. However, it has some Things.

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

Yeah, I really feel like that game is a proof of concept at best. I can only really enjoy it now nostalgically.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Thoughtless posted:

The bad news is it won't really get better. The good news is that AC2 is pretty drat amazing (coming from AC1) and still a pretty good game otherwise.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So, the Borderlands pre-sequel:

Someone decided that having a bunch of platform jumping in low-gravity using an environment that was already notoriously sticky, unforgiving and had invisible walls every where was a good idea. It's not. There is nothing fun about the jumping segments at all.

The quests? Boy, do they love having you backtrack all around loving everywhere. Go to this location to get a thing. Thing isn't there, go here instead. Get thing, take it to turn-in. Are you done? Nope, you need different things from other stupid backtracked areas to finish the quest. Goddamn. The writing is also noticably worse this time around.

To make jumping and the low-gravity interesting they have added lots of pitfalls that cause instant death. Other than their mere existence being a nuisance, most of the baddies can now fly/float as well so I hope you don't shoot any while they are near these chasms as the explosion of loot when they die will often see the gun you really would like to collect and use flying off into said chasm.

I'm playing the cowgirl character and her unique ability is... underwhelming to say the least. It's like a way, way worse version of gunzerking that turns the world a blah color of tan which prevents you from seeing what color loot drops from your enemies before it falls into the previously mentioned pit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

I think a Desmond-centric game would have been fine, but the sections in 1-3 were like the game forcing you to get up and use the toilet ~in-game~. A Desmond game would also have let them set it in the USA and have buildings that were more than 3 stories tall, which would have been neat.

I actually liked the alien plot stuff, especially in the 2 trilogy. Without it the plot would have been a bog standard -guy is wronged, vows revenge, gets it- story.

Namarrgon posted:

The bad news is it won't really get better. The good news is that AC2 is pretty drat amazing (coming from AC1) and still a pretty good game otherwise.

Well, the sequels are still repetitive but I didn't think they were nearly as bad about it as the original.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Oct 20, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

The first game you cannot play twice really. It's really like a Proof of concept dragged out into a full game, which is why the game is so formulaic besides the opening and epilouge. it's also pretty light on the ancient aliens type stuff, and to me had more of a psuedo-magical, Indiana Jones/Uncharted feel to me. AC2 is much more polished as a game, and has a much better narrative. Ezio is also much more sympathetic too Altair's compassionless, stab-murdering dickery. If the game is really boring, Geop did a neat LP of it, with lots of editing to cut out the droolery, and his commentary features a lot of historical information and background, so you can get a feel for how well the game touches on history, how the cities are modelled, and etc.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Thoughtless posted:

There are so many of the AC games and each game is so long that you really shouldn't force yourself to play all of them if IV is really what you want to play. Play AC 2 or Brotherhood and then skip to IV, the story is colossally stupid anyways.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Moon Monster posted:

I think a Desmond-centric game would have been fine, but the sections in 1-3 were like the game forcing you to get up and use the toilet ~in-game~. A Desmond game would also have let them set it in the USA and have buildings that were more than 3 stories tall, which would have been neat.

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.
Take a book out of Hong Kong in DX with the Gun Sensor thing or whatever. You can shoot your gun/guns but holy gently caress do you almost instantly call down the wrath of hell on you for it and you have to run like gently caress to escape where using blades/batons/close combat doesn't cause a city-wide alert. The Saboteur had if you reached the highest level of alert you had planes strafing you and tanks and everything. You only had a limited amount of hiding spots to actually lose that alert.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Croccers posted:

The Saboteur had if you reached the highest level of alert you had planes strafing you and tanks and everything. You only had a limited amount of hiding spots to actually lose that alert.

One of which was on top of the Eiffel Tower. Which was decorated in a way that made no sense if you hadn't completed the plot yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

Well that would encourage you to actually act like an assassin instead of a berserker I guess.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Moon Monster posted:

Well that would encourage you to actually act like an assassin instead of a berserker I guess.

Yes, and then every mission of the game turns into AC3's 'Conflict Looms' where the penalty is instant death. That mission has the touchiest 100% sync conditions of any AC game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

An AC game where you have to assassinate the dinosaurs to extinction.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

scarycave posted:

I would play a Caveman Desmond any day of the week.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

scarycave posted:

Well, AC3 let me pretty much make all wildlife endangered out of callousness. I now understand why people shot at buffalo from trains, because why not?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Well, AC3 let me pretty much make all wildlife endangered out of callousness. I now understand why people shot at buffalo from trains, because why not?

The oregon trail taught most of us this in grade school.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SpookyLizard posted:

The oregon trail taught most of us this in grade school.

Jumping onto a bear from the treetops and stabbing it in the neck is more fun than shooting.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Assassins's Creed: Oregon Trail.

Mary died of dysentery. James died of hidden blade.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Failure: Ezio did not set out with no clothes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nothing is true

pepperoni and cheese

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LoonShia posted:

Nothing is true

peperony and chease

Corrected that for you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I realise I'm a bit late to the "things happening without your input" discussion, but to me it's like the difference between playing Dead Rising and playing a version of Dead Rising where you can only get the "Transmissionary" achievement.

Dead Rising is a hectic, intense game and you can miss out on stuff if you dawdle or don't plan ahead. I think that's fine, it's challenging and I'm not going to be too bothered if I miss saving some dummy who would rather eat pies all day than accept my help. Heck, leave the story so long as I can run zombies over with a lawnmower! To get the "Transmissionary" achievement though, you have to plan and structure your gameplay in advance. I'm not into that. I know it works for some, but not me, I don't feel like video games should necessarily be something I have to revise and do homework for. Thankfully in this case, it works... if you don't want to do the achievement, you don't do it! I've watched videos of someone doing it and had fun because it's fairly impressive, but no, I will not be doing it.

For something like Fallout or Elder Scrolls... to be honest, I'm probably fine as it is. I know that might make me a dumb armchair gamer or something, but those are games I can wile away hours on. I don't mind the typical morality choices, where you close yourself off to an EVIL GUY QUEST by being Saintly McSaint (both series do this, not always with very much gravitas it has to be said), but I don't want to start helping Moira with her survival guide, go off somewhere else for a bit to try and find my dad, and then return to find that Moira's done all the work herself, too slow, start all over again loser! Sure it's unrealistic, but these are games where Lovecraft stories are canon.

It's probably all about tone really. I think being the head of all the mystical guilds and secret societies is a little silly too. That New Vegas route, where the aspect of the universe revolving around you is downplayed, sounds a little better while maintaining the leniency in gameplay (I've never played New Vegas, only watched clips).

On-topic, something annoying in Fallout 3: you can, after a while, unlock a feature that allows you to profit from killing bad guys. To do this, you take fingers from their bodies and sell them to a special society of do-gooders who are based out in the middle of nowhere. The problem is whenever you fast-travel to said base, you spawn alongside one or two groups of powerful enemies. After a while they're not much of a problem, but you still have to kill them every time. If you say screw this nonsense and just waltz inside without taking care of them, said special society of do-gooders go BANANAS and the one you're supposed to speak to will likely run outside like an idiot, where you can potentially lose them forever (on a console, where you can't just move them around by pressing a few buttons). I did this once. I had to attack her to force her back inside, then wait until they'd forgotten all about it. :haw:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Tiggum posted:

The thing I absolutely hate about games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Dragon Age: Origins (all games I otherwise love and have played multiple times) is that I have to go on the internet to find out where all the side quests are because I don't want to miss any of them. It annoys the poo poo out of me that there can be a quest you never even know exists because you didn't talk to this one NPC or didn't pick up this item. If I'm enjoying the game, why would I want there to be bits I didn't get to play?

I don't know man. For a game world to feel rich and reward exploration, there has to be good, interesting content in places where the player might not find it. I don't see why being able to learn about stuff that wasn't obvious on GameFaqs instead of having it served to you on a silver platter is the problem, rather than the solution.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
What I really want to see is more dynamic content in open world games.

Like imagine if the civil war in skyrim was dynamic. Both sides would push back and forth, taking and losing footholds across the realm.

For the sake of quest structure you'd probably have to keep it from spilling into the main cities until the plot required it, mind, but there could be smaller villages that fall under the sway of either side.

They could even tie it into the radiant quest system and have your chosen side give you missions to aid the war effort.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It doesn't have to apply to every quest or mission, but some side objectives and poo poo being timed or mutually exclusive is cool. It also depends on tone. In Oblivion or Skyrim, you're the onyl one who can do anything and out of thanks they make you the hot-poo poo kind of literally every guild/faction worth a drat. In New Vegas, folks aren't about to make some stranger with blood on his boots their boss. Most factions treat as a highly competent, independant contractor. If you work with them enough they'll give you some benefits, because unless you game the system, you've already pissed off their enemies. Maybe they'll give you shiny medal or something afterwards, but that's about it. They know you're not one of them, and know it would be incredibly dumb to make you a member and put you in charge of people and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mokinokaro posted:

What I really want to see is more dynamic content in open world games.

Like imagine if the civil war in skyrim was dynamic. Both sides would push back and forth, taking and losing footholds across the realm.

For the sake of quest structure you'd probably have to keep it from spilling into the main cities until the plot required it, mind, but there could be smaller villages that fall under the sway of either side.

They could even tie it into the radiant quest system and have your chosen side give you missions to aid the war effort.

MGSV is said to have stuff like that, I think. It's set during the Afghan-Russian war. The missions change depending on your playstyle and which side did you damage more.