Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

485hp and 475ft in a sedan for $40,000 is just insane. What a mean fuckin machine that is for the price. No brembo is kind of scary though, I guess you can always get some awesome wilwood aftermarket or something.

Like, big v8 N/A engines dont really exist anymore, let alone in clean looking $40,000 sedans.

From the press release:

quote:

All-new 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack model (late availability) features a 6.4-liter HEMI V-8, punching out a best-in-class, naturally aspirated 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque, Dodge Performance Pages, red four-piston Brembo brakes and 20-by-9-inch aluminum wheels with a starting U.S. MSRP of $39,995 and no gas guzzler tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wheeee posted:

As cool as the Hellcat is it's the $40k Scat Pak that's the real bargain. I want one, but only if Dodge wises up and sells them in General orange.

I love that the Hellcat Charger is the same price as a Kia K900. How's that for a tough choice?

SouthLAnd posted:

The obvious answer is to market the 6000 SUX and reign supreme.

Speaking of the Kia K900, things are silly enough already.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KozmoNaut posted:

I love that the Hellcat Charger is the same price as a Kia K900. How's that for a tough choice?

Yeah, well one is an insanely powerful muscle car that feels like a $30k sedan inside and the other one is a wealthy grandpa style soft luxury cruiser that feels like a $90k car inside. I wonder why they both cost the same while offering wildly different experiences.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd probably take the K900, TBQH.

And then trade it in for a base model Genesis sedan and a Fiat Abarth.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It'll be interesting to see how the Hellcat models depreciate. Today I don't think there's much incentive to spend the extra $25k over the already ludicrously powerful and awesome sounding Scat Pak cars, but if the Scat Paks end up depreciating like a normal Dodge while the Hellcats remain rare enough to hold value the total cost of ownership over a decade or longer may end up being much closer than MSRPs suggest.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wheeee posted:

It'll be interesting to see how the Hellcat models depreciate. Today I don't think there's much incentive to spend the extra $25k over the already ludicrously powerful and awesome sounding Scat Pak cars, but if the Scat Paks end up depreciating like a normal Dodge while the Hellcats remain rare enough to hold value the total cost of ownership over a decade or longer may end up being much closer than MSRPs suggest.

I think it's silly to worry about the future value of a car. Buy what you want to drive. Cars are not an investment and I'd rather drive something that makes me happy with no expectations of ROI than trying to minmax car goodness vs ability to sell it later.

If you can't afford to never sell the car, you can't afford the car.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

You're replying to a post I didn't make.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wheeee posted:

You're replying to a post I didn't make.

Yeah, re-reading I definitely parsed your post incorrectly. I agree that it'll be interesting to witness how the depreciation compares. I will also make fun of anybody who made their buy betting on it one way or the other and came out on the losing side of the bet.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think it's silly to worry about the future value of a car. Buy what you want to drive. Cars are not an investment and I'd rather drive something that makes me happy with no expectations of ROI than trying to minmax car goodness vs ability to sell it later.

I can afford a scar pack rt new (it's only about 36k invoice) but if two years down the road I can get one for 27k used then that buys me a lot of Bay Area gas for the thing. I want to own a big gently caress off naturally aspirated v8 I just don't necessarily need it now.

Problem is I don't think many people will end up getting scat pack no options at all. Which is how I'd basically get it. (All I want is adaptive cruise control)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If we're speculating on which Dodge is gonna hold value, it's the Stage III Scat Pack Challenger. I seriously doubt many are gonna be ordered that way.

Its horsepower is right there between the 6.4 and the Hellcat, but in what's sure to be a raspier and less-livable package. Only thing that's gonna matter in the future is the factory go-fast guts the 5.7 will have.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 21, 2014

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's not really about making the car more affordable. It's just really nice when you end up getting deal on a G8 GXP for like $30k then selling it five years later for like $26k.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
C'mon guys, it's not like these are E55 AMGs we're talking about here. Now that's collectible!

That said I want a scat pack car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

It's not really about making the car more affordable. It's just really nice when you end up getting deal on a G8 GXP for like $30k then selling it five years later for like $26k.

That's a bit of a special phenomenon. I doubt we'll see the like again anytime soon.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I just sent my dealer an inquiry on the lime green scat pack challenger sitting on their lot.

Christ... I already have a deposit in on a Slingshot, but I could lease a Scat Pack for the same cost and actually throw the kids in the back seat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm curious how the Charger Hellcat will depreciate, but only because I can't swing one brand new and keep a roof over my kids head. If they drop 40 to 45% of their value after 3 years like a normal depreciation curve on a car, I could have one in a few years. By then they'll be something cooler out then though, so we'll see.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

skipdogg posted:

I can't swing one brand new and keep a roof over my kids head.

You know what they say: You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well haven't you seen the new Blipshft T shirt?

RAMEN
because racecar

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

First instrumented test of the new f-150

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1410_2015_ford_f_150_27l_ecoboost_4x4_lariat_supercab_first_test/

quote:

Still not impressed? Then check out the 2015 Ford F-150 2.7 EcoBoost's performance figures. Our tester accelerated from 0-60 mph in just 6.5 seconds and completed the quarter mile in 15.1 seconds at 92.8 mph. That's properly quick, especially for the F-150's small engine size. That stacks up pretty well to the last-gen F-150 -- it's quicker than a V-8-powered F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 (6.9 seconds to 60 mph), and it's just behind the now-discontinued 6.2-liter-V-8 in a Harley-Davidson edition SuperCrew (6.4 seconds) and the 2.7-EcoBoost's granddaddy, the EcoBoost 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6-powered F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 (6.2 seconds). Our F-150 tester needed 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph.

Oddly enough, the new 2015 F-150 feels even quicker than its numbers suggest. No, our F-150 Lariat tester isn't a sport truck, but it certainly felt sportier than Ford's last attempt at one, the F-150 Tremor. The new F-150 also rides and handles well for what it is. Steering feedback is on the light side, but response is accurate, and you're never left wondering what exactly the front wheels are doing. And for having a traditional pickup suspension (unlike the coil/air-sprung Ram 1500), the F-150 rides comfortably. Its ride is forgiving over rough pavement and dirt roads, yet the truck still feels planted when cornering more aggressively. The littlest EcoBoost punches well above its weight. Being so small, it spools up quickly and turbo lag is nonexistent. The engine was also never caught flat-footed during testing — even at 7,000 feet and in sixth gear (the transmission appeared to be a pretty big fan of that sixth gear), the EcoBoost's broad powerband was never too far away. Perhaps the most amazing part about this engine is how versatile it is. Put it in Sport mode (activated by hitting the Tow/Haul button twice), and throttle response sharpens, the transmission's shift logic changes, and the V-6 hums, making the F-150 even more of a treat to drive.

:stare:

Turns out the miata isn't a sports car, but the loaded up 4x4 f-150 is. Sport mode on a pickup.

A 5000lb loaded to the tits f-150 with a 2.7 liter engine is as quick as a 3100lb VW GTI with a 2 liter engine. And a truck with this engine can be had 700lbs lighter for $22,000 in canada. Boring loving base model fleet trucks with 2.7 liter engines are going to smoke v6 "muscle cars"

What a beautiful world.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Powershift posted:

First instrumented test of the new f-150

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1410_2015_ford_f_150_27l_ecoboost_4x4_lariat_supercab_first_test/

:stare:

Turns out the miata isn't a sports car, but the loaded up 4x4 f-150 is. Sport mode on a pickup.

A 5000lb loaded to the tits f-150 with a 2.7 liter engine is as quick as a 3100lb VW GTI with a 2 liter engine. And a truck with this engine can be had 700lbs lighter for $22,000 in canada. Boring loving base model fleet trucks with 2.7 liter engines are going to smoke v6 "muscle cars"

What a beautiful world.

I've never owned a truck and I don't really need a truck, but I want this truck.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Trucks are the best.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I like to know that everyone driving a f150 stops 27 feet slower than my car yet accelerates nearly as fast.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Eventually ford will build an F150 that can transform itself into all other car shapes while towing and driving better than anything else.

The F1000 liquid metal edition.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Xguard86 posted:

Eventually ford will build an F150 that can transform itself into all other car shapes while towing and driving better than anything else.

The F1000 liquid metal edition.

Yeah, Knight Rider 2008.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

I like to know that everyone driving a f150 stops 27 feet slower than my car yet accelerates nearly as fast.

What exactly do you drive that stops in 100 feet flat yet can't hit 60 in 4.5 seconds?

The frs/brz takes 120 feet, the Mustang gt and scat pack challenger take 108. The 1le Camaro does it in 99 feet but has 285 section 120 Treadwear front tires

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I wouldn't care if it is literally the best road vehicle ever built and that it gives me the best blowjob of my entire life every time I drive it, I don't want to drive something that a) looks like that (seriously, all new trucks are hideous) b) is a loving truck c) is so big that it looks like it should have "Canadian Pacific" painted on the side and D) IS A loving TRUCK.

Yea, I hate freedom, deal with it :radcat:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

I wouldn't care if it is literally the best road vehicle ever built and that it gives me the best blowjob of my entire life every time I drive it, I don't want to drive something that a) looks like that (seriously, all new trucks are hideous) b) is a loving truck c) is so big that it looks like it should have "Canadian Pacific" painted on the side and D) IS A loving TRUCK.

So don't buy one?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

D) IS A loving TRUCK.

Y'know, I used to hate trucks. Then I bought one. An $800 beater, but still, it's a truck.

The ability to spot something on Craigslist then... just kinda go get it, without calling a buddy in a truck or wagon, or renting something... just hopping in and going to get it... :feelsgood:

I don't want to be without a truck ever again.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I've found the appeal of trucks increasing as I get older, seems like they'd promote a more relaxed driving style. Unfortunately an F150 won't fit in the parking building at work or in my garage and the new Colorado is ugly, made by GM and has no turbos. One day..

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sanchez posted:

I've found the appeal of trucks increasing as I get older, seems like they'd promote a more relaxed driving style. Unfortunately an F150 won't fit in the parking building at work or in my garage and the new Colorado is ugly, made by GM and has no turbos. One day..

Here ya go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

Here ya go.

Those things will get sleazy sideways if you push them even moderately hard. Surprised the drift racing kids here don't just have a paddock full of $2 kei trucks.

They'll probably get even cheaper now that the Chinese are making their own deathtrap mini trucks and teaching their children to deliver tofu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChCe5j5kl4

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sanchez posted:

I got one because I bought a house last year and am amazed at the amount of large stuff I need to haul around. Concrete to the recycler's, bags of dirt and sand home, a giant picnic table, a bed, more concrete...

My boss's boss has a Ram Big Horn, full quad cab and every option (the leather inside smells SO NICE) and it's at least a $60k truck, THOSE I can't understand because you'd never want to throw dirt or concrete or anything in the back. There seems to be a definite market for huge, fully loaded expensive-as-hell trucks though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CornHolio posted:

My boss's boss has a Ram Big Horn, full quad cab and every option (the leather inside smells SO NICE) and it's at least a $60k truck, THOSE I can't understand because you'd never want to throw dirt or concrete or anything in the back. There seems to be a definite market for huge, fully loaded expensive-as-hell trucks though.

You shuttle the family and maybe once a year a giant travel trailer. If they're used at all they're used to pull toys, not loads.

If you have the money... I get it

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I got one because I bought a house last year and am amazed at the amount of large stuff I need to haul around. Concrete to the recycler's, bags of dirt and sand home, a giant picnic table, a bed, more concrete...

This is why I want one, even really simple stuff like getting rid of large amounts of yard waste is problematic at the moment.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This could very possibly be my next car. That Scat Pack.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

CornHolio posted:

On a certain level, they're kind of like the modern equivalent of the old American land battleships, allowing the owner to take up a lot of space AND look down on everyone not driving them, and in that regard the leather interior luxury full size trucks make sense.

The benefits of the all aluminum construction and turbos on the F-150 just makes me want to see an all aluminum turbo six Mustang.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

razorscooter posted:

The benefits of the all aluminum construction and turbos on the F-150 just makes me want to see an all aluminium turbo six Mustang.

How about an all aluminium Mustang with a turbo straight-six? :awesome:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

El Scotch posted:

How about an all aluminium Mustang with a turbo straight-six? :awesome:

How about an all-aluminum Mustang with a turbo straight-eight?

:awesome: :awesome:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

El Scotch posted:

Here ya go.

Seen one of these the other day. It was adorable being parked like 3 feet away from the curb and still nowhere near the road traffic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jehde posted:

Seen one of these the other day. It was adorable being parked like 3 feet away from the curb and still nowhere near the road traffic.
Their only point is to avoid having to pedal. I'm surprised they don't have a flintstones style engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

This could very possibly be my next car. That Scat Pack.

Why is nobody calling it Poop Group