Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Gym teachers everywhere, we all know that one of the most important parts of sports is getting kids interested in them in the first place. Children are our future, and without a future, what would we do tomorrow?

As apparently a thread like this hasn't been made in Sports Argument Stadium before, this thread will be the first of its kind here. Please keep it civil, and try to stay on topic. P.E. class counts as gym class too! If you have any stories to tell, please try to change the names of the people involved to protect the privacy of the students.

What?
This is a thread for discussing teaching gym, for whichever age group you may find yourself in charge of. If it proves to be necessary, in the future we may split the topic up into multiple threads, for elementary, middle school, high school, college, etc.

Why?
Gym teachers never get the kind of respect we deserve. Teaching gym class is very important in securing not only the future of sports, but the future of our children's health.

I don't think this belongs here.
Well, that's your opinion. This is 100% related to sports, however, and is within the rules of the subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

For the first subject of discussion, where do you think is the best place to purchase materials for class, such as small plastic orange cones, affordable plastic soccer balls, and other such paraphernalia?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

For the first subject of discussion, where do you think is the best place to purchase materials for class, such as small plastic orange cones, affordable plastic soccer balls, and other such paraphernalia?

If you have a nearby used sporting goods store, that can be a big help for basic things like cones, soccer/playground balls, etc.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you don't let kids play dodge ball and hit each other in the face you are bad at your job

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Please don't be fat and out of shape like every gym teacher I ever had, thanks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MourningView posted:

if you don't let kids play dodge ball and hit each other in the face you are bad at your job

I remember in 8th grade, while playing dodgeball, I nailed a girl in the face (she didn't know it was me since it was early on in the game with chaos ensuing). We stopped playing dodgeball after that. Don't be the teacher that stops a game because of one injury.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I remember in 8th grade, while playing dodgeball, I nailed a girl in the face (she didn't know it was me since it was early on in the game with chaos ensuing). We stopped playing dodgeball after that. Don't be the teacher that stops a game because of one injury.

Alternately don't be the boy who drills a girl in the face :shobon:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

My gym teacher had the rule that if you were upright, you couldn't be beaned in the face, but if you ducked or tucked your head, it was fair game. Fair compromise, if you ask me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

that girl has learned an important lesson about keeping her head on a swivel at all times

but yeah, aim for the fat kid with glasses instead, obvs.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My high school gym class was taught by a floater who was mostly an elementary gym teacher and he had us play the same games he used in elementary school and everybody loved it. It was a legitimately good way to get everybody active and include everybody and I hope other teachers figure out that it doesn't have to be the same awkward poo poo everybody usually goes though (also it was summer school so he also took us on rad "field trips" like to learn to play pool at a pool hall).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tadashi posted:

(also it was summer school so he also took us on rad "field trips" like to learn to play pool at a pool hall).

Holy poo poo that sounds awesome

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tadashi posted:

(also it was summer school so he also took us on rad "field trips" like to learn to play pool at a pool hall).

Wish I had your teacher. More pool, less badminton. Also more basketball, less going outside in 95+ degree weather running laps on the track for the entire time with the option of sitting on the bleachers instead (so basically everyone did this)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
We did kayaking and rock climbing and yoga in my high school gym classes. The Yoga was great, did it for 2 years.

Everything before high school was terrible except for dodgeball. Dance lessons consisting of line dancing to cotton eyed joe and watching the teacher's gray sweats get filthier as the week went on. Seriously man they are sweats get another pair they can't be that expensive.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Floor hockey is the sport of kings.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Dodgeball, basketball, and volleyball all rocked eVen though I was the white, skinny, short, unathletic kid that wore glasses.

The only way I could get people out in dodgeball was to catch the balls thrown at me. I would move up to the timeline and taunt the opposing team to throw at me. I was usually able to stay alive and have the balls I caught to someone else on my team because throwing at someone was what usually got me out. Only got beaned in the face once.

Wish I could have tried some yoga when I was in grade school, too. Dodgeball rules, though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you have a noodle arm and the ball is always caught when you throw it, just throw it at their feet every time IMO

Then when you catch one, be that idiot who everyone on your team hates who holds onto the ball forever because you're using it to bounce away incoming balls

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Intruder posted:

If you have a noodle arm and the ball is always caught when you throw it, just throw it at their feet every time IMO

This is all fun until someone catches it between their legs and you have to do the grandest walk of shame to the bench.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If you don't feel confident throwing the ball at people, just go for the basket. Even if you only hit the rim, you still get 1 teammate back. And if you hit the backboard, you're safe from it being caught.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Alan Trammell posted:

If you don't feel confident throwing the ball at people, just go for the basket. Even if you only hit the rim, you still get 1 teammate back. And if you hit the backboard, you're safe from it being caught.

We didn't have any rules that would allow for people to be brought back in, unfortunately. I did throw it at people's feet, but there several guys who were perfectly ok with making catches at their ankles.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Alan Trammell posted:

I've never heard of this version, people came back in through a team mate catching the ball.

My favorite version was called "buffalo hunt" and had no teams, just a free-for-all and you could only come back in if the person who got you out got out. Made for long-rear end games with lord of the flies-esque outcomes.

This should just be a dodgeball thread NO NERDS ALLOWED

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

I've never heard of this version, people came back in through a team mate catching the ball.

My favorite version was called "buffalo hunt" and had no teams, just a free-for-all and you could only come back in if the person who got you out got out. Made for long-rear end games with lord of the flies-esque outcomes.

This should just be a dodgeball thread NO NERDS ALLOWED

How does that work? If someone gets ten people and then is out, those ten people come back in?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Intruder posted:

How does that work? If someone gets ten people and then is out, those ten people come back in?

Pretty much. How it normally went was the teacher would let it go for the whole gym period until the last 10 minutes when they would yell sudden death and when you were our you were out. I don't think I ever saw someone actually "win."

It was great when you were on a roll and had like 10 people in jail all screaming at other players to get you out and you felt like a badass.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I once no-poo poo knocked a girl out while playing baseball.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Hey I wasn't trying to! I just grabbed a ball and chucked it into a crowd. I think someone ducked out of the way of it which is why she didn't see it.

A cool alternative to Dodgeball that requires more running is Scatterball. Essentially it plays like Dodgeball but with one ball. Someone gets elected to start with the ball remaining on one side of the field whereas everyone else starts on the other side. The person then throws it at the crowd, and it becomes a free for all with one rule - you have to throw across the line. So as soon as someone grabs the ball, everyone runs to the other side. Eventually it comes down to two people throwing at each other running back and forth. I think regular Dodgeball is more fun but if you wanna mix it up it's something to try.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One game I used to play in PE was wallball

You have a tennis ball and a wall, and you chuck it as hard as you can. If it hits someone on the richochet, that person has to run up to the wall and touch it before anyone can recover the ball and hit the wall with it or he's out. If you catch it on the fly (when I originally put bounce I meant bounce from the wall, not the ground), the person who threw it is either out or has to touch the wall before it's hit or they're out, either way they're basically out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inspector_666 posted:

I once no-poo poo knocked a girl out while playing baseball.

At my lovely white trash high school the discus practice area was right next to the soccer practice field and I once clocked a girl soccer player in the head with a discus while she was running laps.

My reaction was something like "there's no way that hits he-OH gently caress SORRY"

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Intruder posted:

You have a tennis ball and a wall, and you chuck it as hard as you can. If it hits someone on the richochet, that person has to run up to the wall and touch it before anyone can recover the ball and hit the wall with it or he's out. If you catch it on the fly (when I originally put bounce I meant bounce from the wall, not the ground), the person who threw it is either out or has to touch the wall before it's hit or they're out, either way they're basically out

We played this outside of school hours and as such instead of being "out" you had to put your hands on the wall while every other person took turns pegging you with the ball. Great times.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

We played this outside of school hours and as such instead of being "out" you had to put your hands on the wall while every other person took turns pegging you with the ball. Great times.

I played it that way a couple times but a tennis ball is hilariously difficult to throw hard so you'd almost always miss badly

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary

Intruder posted:

I knew this game as "suicide", wallball seems like a good school alternative name however

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

You needed to play wallball with a red white and blue bouncy rubber ball. Those were no joke, especially when the race to beat the ball to the wall resulted in the ball rebounding right into your face just as you reach the wall.

The saddest game to watch a high school Gym class play is volleyball. 45 minutes of out of bounds serves or bumps back over the net.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Are you talking about superballs? I can't even fathom playing wallball with those. For one thing you'd have to have a bucket full of replacements for when they inevitably go flying off into the distance never to be seen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Jay Carney posted:

We called this going "butts up."

• Locked thread