Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Is Mozilla now encouraging people to build machines around browsers like they were high end games or video editing boxes?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I feel like 99% of my problems with Firefox responsivity are really just the fault of Flash being an rear end in a top hat.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

fourwood posted:

I feel like 99% of my problems are really just the fault of Flash being an rear end in a top hat.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just installed Firefox on my Sony Xperia Z3. It's actually quite fast. I've not used Firefox mobile for some time - is it just the high specs of the phone making it fast or has it improved in speed dramatically over the past year?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just installed Firefox on my Sony Xperia Z3. It's actually quite fast. I've not used Firefox mobile for some time - is it just the high specs of the phone making it fast or has it improved in speed dramatically over the past year?

It's been fast on my stock Samsung Galaxy Nexus since I bought it about 18 months ago. My phone takes about 15 seconds to recover when I minimize Firefox but Firefox itself has been great. My phone just has to recover a ton of resources when I want to do anything else.
It is as responsive as Chrome, but my phone recovers from Chrome a bit faster.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
For some reason, firefox for me has some adware installed (And by adware, I mean a 'Today's Specials' popup and words are starting to be highlighted in yellow.) Is there any way of fixing it completely?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Superb Owls posted:

For some reason, firefox for me has some adware installed (And by adware, I mean a 'Today's Specials' popup and words are starting to be highlighted in yellow.) Is there any way of fixing it completely?

Check to see if there's any unrecognized add-ons in Firefox, disable those, then use the Firefox built-in function to rebuild your profile.

If it comes back then you've got malware in your system somewhere, fix that.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Is there a way to revert the behavior of the location bar to how it was in 32 so it tries to resolve the single words as a domain first before going to Google? My work has a lot of internal servers which are just a single word so it's really annoying that it now tries to Google them first even when I put them in the location bar.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

api call girl posted:

Check to see if there's any unrecognized add-ons in Firefox, disable those, then use the Firefox built-in function to rebuild your profile.

If it comes back then you've got malware in your system somewhere, fix that.

I did check to see what was the problem and it turned out to be an addon that I didn't install, which I then removed.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Why have they decided to change the start page again? It's uglier and has a new muscle-memory breaking grid with fewer sites in it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

natlampe posted:

Why have they decided to change the start page again? It's uglier and has a new muscle-memory breaking grid with fewer sites in it.

It changed again in a subsequent Aurora release so you see 12 sites. Not sure if it's made it to the Beta channel yet.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It changed again in a subsequent Aurora release so you see 12 sites. Not sure if it's made it to the Beta channel yet.
That's good to hear (although I'll probably be used to it by the time it hits release). I can see how fast iteration on back-end stuff is a decidedly good thing, but changing UI stuff seemingly willy-nilly is (almost) user hostile. Why can't they let it bake until they are satisfied with it and then let it be?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

natlampe posted:

That's good to hear (although I'll probably be used to it by the time it hits release). I can see how fast iteration on back-end stuff is a decidedly good thing, but changing UI stuff seemingly willy-nilly is (almost) user hostile. Why can't they let it bake until they are satisfied with it and then let it be?

Normal people won't install an update if there's no perceivable difference.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How would that even work? :psyduck:

You see normal people periodically and pro-actively checking changelogs, release notes or techblogs and then considering whether they want to upgrade? Well, the UI hasn't changed, eh, forget about it. What?

The first time a normal user sees the changes is when the update is installed already.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The browser start page scales the number of websites based on the size of the browser window, at least in Nightly. If I maximize my window (1080p), then 3 rows of 5 pages appear. If I make it small enough, then only the search bar remains.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. :confused:

Firefox silently updates itself on restart, which is a good thing since 33 alone fixed nine security issues. Besides, Mozilla's release notes don't mention anything about changing the new tab page (unless "Search suggestions" is code for "We also randomly changed how the page looks").

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

Is there a way to revert the behavior of the location bar to how it was in 32 so it tries to resolve the single words as a domain first before going to Google? My work has a lot of internal servers which are just a single word so it's really annoying that it now tries to Google them first even when I put them in the location bar.
You can toggle keyword.enabled in about :config, but that disables URL bar searching entirely. Alternatively you can bookmark each server and set up a tag of the server name for each site, I think Firefox pulls from bookmark tags before it looks to Google. At least it used to.

natlampe posted:

about :blank for life.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Knormal posted:

about :blank for life.
Yeah, I thought about going back to that but now I really like having the thumbnails available.

Luckily the New Tab Tools extension corrects all of Mozilla's missteps.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

natlampe posted:

has a new muscle-memory breaking grid

natlampe posted:

changing UI stuff seemingly willy-nilly is (almost) user hostile.

And they continue to lose users. (And they continue to defend their dumb(?) UI decisions despite that.)

Snippets from support.mozilla.

quote:

Q: How do I roll back the Firefox 29 update? I hate it.

A: Hi netscaper, several years of research with users went into this redesign, but obviously you can't get everyone to agree on the same thing. ...

... As a small not-for-profit organization, Mozilla doesn't have the resources to do everything itself. Firefox has always had the philosophy of trying to keep the browser lean and allowing for customization through add-ons.

quote:

Q: new update hurts my eyes, how to roll back appearence?

A: Thank you for trying the new Firefox. I'm sorry that you’re unhappy with the new design. ...

... Or if you want to go back to a previous version, completely feel free to use the old, unsupported, and insecure versions of Firefox.

Poor small incapable not-for-profit. :qq: Only 300 million a year in handouts from Google.

That makes no sense. Most "normal" people dont even know how to turn off auto-update.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Please stop screeching about your Firefox did 9/11 poo poo here, FRINGE.

Mr.Radar posted:

Quick question, does it still do this if the hostnames are put in the system's hosts file?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Didn't even realize FF auto-updates now. Mine still specifically asks me if I want to install updates. I've never hosed with any update-related settings, but my profile is hella old.

Basically what I was trying to say (under the assumption that FF was behaving as normal for me) was that if someone approves several updates where "nothing happens", eventually they just stop accepting the updates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Last I held a knife to the throat of people with the raw data, FF wasn't losing users, but wasn't acquiring new users as fast as the Internet was growing, so it was losing share. (It was in fact growing in absolute numbers, which is not a trivial feat given the improved quality of IE, Chrome's aggressive distribution deals, and Mozilla's effectively-zero mobile footprint.)

Mozilla still runs leaner (in dollars and developers) per user than any of its major competitors than iOS Safari. I'm not arguing that they are optimally efficient, but arguing by top-line revenue isn't particularly insightful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Basically what I was trying to say (under the assumption that FF was behaving as normal for me) was that if someone approves several updates where "nothing happens", eventually they just stop accepting the updates.

Do you have a source for this being an actual thing, or is this just your experience?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you have a source for this being an actual thing, or is this just your experience?

People have to go out of their way to un-accept an update. In 2010 I'd have been more emphatic, but even now I'm pretty sure that stdh. People update silently until they are sufficiently inflamed to find a way not to. It was *always* the case that we had a harder time getting people to update to versions that had UI change than those that didn't.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Firefox's autoupdate is even more transparent than Chrome's -- Chrome still generates a UAC prompt in the year of Luigi 2014.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
One of the recent updates sometimes breaks closing tabs. I'll "close" a tab but it'll still be visible in the list of tabs. If I try to select it it'll select the next tab to the right. On restarting Firefox the tab is still open but I can close it without issue.

I honestly can't be assed to try clearing my profile/addons for this as its fairly rare, maybe every couple hundred of tab closes, but I'd like to know if anyone else noticed this specific issue. Casual searches only turned up older tab closing issues that don't sound like the same thing.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

Firefox's autoupdate is even more transparent than Chrome's -- Chrome still generates a UAC prompt in the year of Luigi 2014.

Maybe I'm installed different somehow but I haven't seen a UAC prompt for Chrome updates in years.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You probably don't have UAC turned up to a point where it serves an actual purpose other than inconveniencing the user.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The corporate Chrome might trigger UAC, but the normal one doesn't because it's in your user folder.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Which prompts me to ask - is there any way to make the UAC window always appear in the same place?

Because for me it can appear anywhere and it really bugs me in an OCD way. Appear in the centre of the screen, not any old place :argh:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Apparently in Firefox 33 there's new behavior on typing single-word hostnames into the address bar -- the default is now to search for that term and not to navigate to the address I explicitly entered, and to ask "did you mean to go to ..." instead.

I was about to ask if anyone knew how to globally disable this ridiculous bullshit, but it works to just completely disable searching from the address bar (which I should have done a while ago, but never really need to).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Lysidas posted:

Apparently in Firefox 33 there's new behavior on typing single-word hostnames into the address bar -- the default is now to search for that term and not to navigate to the address I explicitly entered, and to ask "did you mean to go to ..." instead.

I was about to ask if anyone knew how to globally disable this ridiculous bullshit, but it works to just completely disable searching from the address bar (which I should have done a while ago, but never really need to).

I'd rather know how to turn it off because it is a worthless and terrible feature.

Edit: it even asks and assumes I want to Google search servers I have a bookmark for.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 20, 2014

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Lysidas posted:

Thanks, that works! For those wondering, go to about :config and set keyword.enabled to "false".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't seem to be working under 35. I get a 'Visit <foo>?' thing extruded under the URL bar when I start typing, that turns into a search prompt if I type something that isn't in history, and an invitation to go to my search engine if I click on the history dropdown instead.

Edit: I'm guessing this means they're aiming to get rid of the separate search bar soon, which... eh. I guess I'm one of those kids who likes to keep their peas and potatoes separate on the plate. I'll probably get used to it faster than I imagine.

Edit, much later: Behavior seems to have returned to previous normal. Dunno if something got turned off in an update, or if I needed to restart a few times. Confused, but not unhappy regardless.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 24, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It got better, and the nightly is a little faster still. But it still has some problems with bogging down, continuing to run tabs in the background, and general speed compared to Chrome.

Worst thing: It still doesn't use the native android zoom gesture (doubletap and slide up or down), it's still stuck on just pinch zoom. It's the only thing I use that works like this, so it's quite jarring.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Cool, Firefox 33 is doing that thing where it breaks with hardware acceleration and displays nothing in a black window. We only have thousands of machines of 3 loving models between like 4 driver revisions and it just shows up randomly on a few of them. No rhyme or reason.

Rolling everything back to 32.0.3 despite the security fixes. :sigh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

api call girl posted:

Cool, Firefox 33 is doing that thing where it breaks with hardware acceleration and displays nothing in a black window. We only have thousands of machines of 3 loving models between like 4 driver revisions and it just shows up randomly on a few of them. No rhyme or reason.

Rolling everything back to 32.0.3 despite the security fixes. :sigh:
Can't you just turn off hardware acceleration on the individual machines when it show up?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Knormal posted:

Can't you just turn off hardware acceleration on the individual machines when it show up?

Committing to individually and indefinitely janitoring users on whichever machines manifest that problem sounds like a great use of my time. Even in a union shop I'm not going to send out this kind of make-work.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Cross-posting this, for those who haven't heard yet:

tadashi posted:

A vulnerability in SSL 3 was found last week and vendors are recommending you turn it off in any browser.

https://zmap.io/sslv3/browsers.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/10/ssl-broken-again-in-poodle-attack/

Basically, it sounds like SSL 3 is very much dead (even more so than it used to be) at this point.

TL;DR: :siren:Go to about :config and set security.tls.version.min to 1.:siren: If SSL sites break, complain at the site operator, because they're stupid/lazy/cheap as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yikes. Is there a similar fix for Thunderbird?