Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

soy posted:

I'm scheduled to take ICND1 in 10 days... I'm planning on banging through the Todd Lammle book in that time, I will probably dedicate 6+ hours a day until the exam to it. I've been working as a sysadmin for about 8~ years directly working w/ cisco/juniper/hp/dell/brocade/arista managed switches, routers, and I've configured practically every possible thing a sysadmin can do in that time, so I'm not expecting it to be that difficult... but I've never been a great test taker.

The bright side is I'm already gainfully employed and my employer said they'd pay for this so I just said "gently caress it, I'll sign up for the test."

Does that sound like a stretch for passing? I took the assessment exam and got about 1/2 of the questions, most of which that I got wrong I was generally familiar with subject but not to the fine level of detail they were asking about.

It's not a problem to delay the test, but would prefer to get it over with if possible.

Just remember, you need the cisco answer.

do wr is not an answer. "copy running-config startup-config" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I seem to get all the CLI commands right the main problems I have are pretty trivial, mostly relating to things like STP (we never use *STP in private clouds) and other semi obscure protocol minutiae but I think I can cram and get this done.

I was able to acquire a shitload of training material in addition to the book so I think I'll be able to hack it... I'll check to see what the deadline is for rescheduling though.

At least this re-studying is coming in useful as I have a major OSPF heavy infrastructure project coming up which it will be useful for. Despite a complete lack of Cisco kit anywhere near it.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Been sitting through the accelerated RHCSA course this week. Really, the worst part about this training is that I have this smug little prick staring down at me all day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I also like that you're apparently going to achieve a 4th grade level of "Greatness" based on the handwriting on that poster.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Thinking about it, I don't think I've actually had to write something with a pen or pencil longer than a sentence in around 5 years.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Methanar posted:

Just remember, you need the cisco answer.

do wr is not an answer. "copy running-config startup-config" is.

Search my post history, I dumped a string of show commands from memory back then, that are pretty much what you need to remember.

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

soy posted:

Actually I seem to get all the CLI commands right the main problems I have are pretty trivial, mostly relating to things like STP (we never use *STP in private clouds) and other semi obscure protocol minutiae but I think I can cram and get this done.

I was able to acquire a shitload of training material in addition to the book so I think I'll be able to hack it... I'll check to see what the deadline is for rescheduling though.

At least this re-studying is coming in useful as I have a major OSPF heavy infrastructure project coming up which it will be useful for. Despite a complete lack of Cisco kit anywhere near it.

STP isn't on the ICND1. Your study material is for the new test, right?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Interpolator posted:

STP isn't on the ICND1. Your study material is for the new test, right?

I got the CCNA full exam book from the OP of this post, which is based on the single test... Which seems stupid for first timers. Also, it's apparently out of date. Ha!

Anyways, since this feels cursed.. I rescheduled to give myself another month.

It's not like I get a raise for passing or anything :v:

At least I bought a used copy, I guess I'll grab this instead: http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413497663

soy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Yep, that's a great choice (book & time). My experience is pre-ICND for CCNA but in general the concept stands. Knowledge level for CCNA is very wide in terms of topics but is surface level. In general this makes it quite hard to pass as you have to know bits and pieces for so many *different* topics. For some people that's no problem but for me passing the CCNA took 3 tries whereas all of the CCNP tests only took 1 attempt to pass due to to them covering a much more specific set of topics.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

My experience was that ICND1 was slightly more difficult than ICND2 which, in my case, was much more focused on the topics in the exam objectives. Instead of 2-5 questions about 50 topics, I had like 5-10 about 15 topics. It's also pretty easy to tell what they're going for in most cases, especially questions relating to Frame Relay are incredibly formulaic. In my case it felt like the questions even went sequentially through the list of exam objectives so all the frame relay questions started out with DLCI answers and then progressed into "the answer that mentions split horizon is 99% the correct answer".

It was like this for all the subjects, really, which is useful if you're like me and spent a lot of time looking at the exam objectives and what order the topics were in.

The A+ is actually the worst candidate for this, though, because you can start at basic subnetting, take a quick detour through motherboard components, vacation in Pin Count land, and then end back up squarely at the components and distinct stages of laser printing. That test is all over the place.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Just got my CCENT, just curious how much more/less difficult is the ICND 200 to finish off my CCNA?

Edit lol answered right above me, nevermind!

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I just started a job that requires me to get a Security+ cert ASAP. I read that CompTIA is switching from SY0-301 to SY0-401 sometime early next month so if I want to take the 301 I need to prepare fast. I just got this book which people on the forum recommended me. If I start studying from the 301 book and don't take the test before the switch, will I be screwed and have to study all over again with new material? Alternatively, what can you guys recommend that will help me to cram hard and take the test before that happens? Someone mentioned getting the testking.com Security+ package. Anyone have any experience with their products?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Darril Gibson's SY0-401 book is out and :10bux: on Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNWKN3G/) and the physical version should hit shelves within a month or so. I'm two chapters in and it seems pretty comprehensive so far.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Just got my CCENT, just curious how much more/less difficult is the ICND 200 to finish off my CCNA?

Edit lol answered right above me, nevermind!

I took (And kinda failed it) about a month ago. Make sure you study the FHRPs and Netflow, because there was a lot more on the test than I expected.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

high six posted:

I took (And kinda failed it) about a month ago. Make sure you study the FHRPs and Netflow, because there was a lot more on the test than I expected.

The guy who does the Shrikecast CCNA vids on youtube recommends doing the whole CCNA package in one shot. I'm considering doing that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rock2much posted:

The guy who does the Shrikecast CCNA vids on youtube recommends doing the whole CCNA package in one shot. I'm considering doing that.

I think the rationale behind taking just the one test is that you will hopefully be getting at least 50% ICND1 questions, which should be relatively easy.

The rationale behind taking them separately is that if you fail you're only out half the money and have a better idea of which stuff you have to study harder.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
973 on 200-101. loving finally that's over, never should have let that poo poo lapse.

The CBT Nuggets are great, I used a mixture of CCNA/CCNP ROUTE for it, and a fuckton of GNS3 for frame relay practice.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Looks like I was wrong and the SY0-301 is going to be retired on December 31. Should I just study for and take the 301 while I still can? Would 2 months be enough?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Looks like I was wrong and the SY0-301 is going to be retired on December 31. Should I just study for and take the 301 while I still can? Would 2 months be enough?
More than enough. Read the Gibson book, skim it again and use common sense. Know your definitions (HIDS v HIPS, some basic encryption types, etc..) and you'll be fine.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Failed the 70-685 again yesterday, with 665 this time (631 last time). :toot: Close, but just still not enough. Looking it up, I might have passed if I knew the difference between sc query and sc queryex.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone passed the 70-243 SCCM certification? How much Intune crap do you need to know? I built my company's SCCM infrastructure so I feel comfortable taking a blind leap into the test except we don't use Intune and can't really think of a way to lab it.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I just got out of ArcSight Security Analyst class, and it was pretty good material; just not what I was expecting going in. Basically you don't have to know anything about security, it's just the basics on how to create a rule, dashboard, active channel, etc. There are some examples which sort of use security as the main driving reason why you would correlate x and y but that's kind of it.

Apparently it's not worth taking the cert for the course, as everything is changing with the way HP is naming their courses. Even the HP reps at Protect this year didn't know how it would all shake out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Interesting. Do you know if there's a second tier level course that goes into more analytics and correlation and things like that? I'm doubting it since that is the kind of thing you just pick up with experience, but..

Although my focus may have just taken a 90 degree turn into the weird world of QRadar,

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

The content building course maybe? That's how it sounded to me but I couldn't get a straight answer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've procrastinated literally all year and will likely take my S+ exam late November/early December. This S+ series expires at the end of the year.

Should I just plan to get the new book and start over? I have a feeling testing centers won't take me or won't have the soon to be expired exam that close to the end.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Gibson's 301 book + the practical questions on his site + studying the port chart religiously 24 hours before the exam is all you need. If you have a basic idea of computer concepts going in you can knock the cert out in two weeks.

Or just get the 401 book and give yourself a reason to procrastinate for another year+.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So for those people who were purely self study, did you form any special habits or anything to help you get through?

I've been a lazy (depressed) rear end in a top hat for the better part of a year now, but I really want to get my MCSA as right now I'm just some schlub comcast tech support. I've always struggled to teach myself anything from scratch; I've always worked much better in a structured environment like a classroom, or an environment with hands on learning, but that's not really an option so I'm trying to figure out the best ways to light a fire under my rear end.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I swore off alcohol until I passed my test. Worked wonders.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2015

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Garrand posted:

So for those people who were purely self study, did you form any special habits or anything to help you get through?

I've been a lazy (depressed) rear end in a top hat for the better part of a year now, but I really want to get my MCSA as right now I'm just some schlub comcast tech support. I've always struggled to teach myself anything from scratch; I've always worked much better in a structured environment like a classroom, or an environment with hands on learning, but that's not really an option so I'm trying to figure out the best ways to light a fire under my rear end.

If you really want to put a fire under your rear end, register and pay for the 70-410 test right now for a month in the future. That's your deadline. It'll prepare you for your future career as a system admin.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I reminded myself of the one time I worked at a chicken plant in WV, hanging live chickens for 9 hours a day while making about $8/hour.

That motivated me.

This is a bad time for non ms certs. Waiting for updated CCNP course material, updated Red Hat, etc.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

I'm in the same boat. A combination of realizing I'd get nowhere without it, bonuses for passing tests, and the fact that I hated helpdesk/user support with such a passion was basically it. Motivation is key.

Make yourself do it. Spend your lunch breaks in a quiet place studying.

If you're not a book learner, repetition is going to be key.

1) Read through the prep book. Write down everything that is a fact, action, statement, Thing to Know, etc. Do the exercises as you go. It's very easy to spin up VMs in Virtualbox and you can get the isos for free if you sign up for evaluations.
2) Read through the preo book again. Highlight all the facts/actions/statements, etc. This is to reinforce what you wrote down.
3) Go back and write down what you highlighted. Reconcile it against your 1st round write-downs.
4) Redo the exercises and scenarios.
5) Go through published exam objectives. Try doing them in your test environment.
6) Go through your highlighted/written notes and get a reputable test-prep set of questions that aren't braindumps.
7) Schedule your exam with another couple of weeks to ensure you've got everything down cold, but only when you're ready.

I'd budget 3-4 months per exam to be 100% certain, but YMMV.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Sacred Cow posted:

If you really want to put a fire under your rear end, register and pay for the 70-410 test right now for a month in the future. That's your deadline. It'll prepare you for your future career as a system admin.

I was actually aiming for 70-680 and 70-685 first, as it seemed more up my alley (Windows 7 and Desktop support) since I don't have any professional experience whatsoever. I'm...uh not making a mistake, am I? It has more to do with personal preference, right? I wouldn't just be throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain? As someone still on the outside it's kind of difficult to figure out what will best land me a decent job with learning opportunities. Also not sure what certs will be considered outdated sooner than others.

MJP posted:

I'm in the same boat. A combination of realizing I'd get nowhere without it, bonuses for passing tests, and the fact that I hated helpdesk/user support with such a passion was basically it. Motivation is key.

Make yourself do it. Spend your lunch breaks in a quiet place studying.

If you're not a book learner, repetition is going to be key.

1) Read through the prep book. Write down everything that is a fact, action, statement, Thing to Know, etc. Do the exercises as you go. It's very easy to spin up VMs in Virtualbox and you can get the isos for free if you sign up for evaluations.
2) Read through the preo book again. Highlight all the facts/actions/statements, etc. This is to reinforce what you wrote down.
3) Go back and write down what you highlighted. Reconcile it against your 1st round write-downs.
4) Redo the exercises and scenarios.
5) Go through published exam objectives. Try doing them in your test environment.
6) Go through your highlighted/written notes and get a reputable test-prep set of questions that aren't braindumps.
7) Schedule your exam with another couple of weeks to ensure you've got everything down cold, but only when you're ready.

I'd budget 3-4 months per exam to be 100% certain, but YMMV.

Good advice. 3 months is probably enough for the 680 for me; I recently stumbled on Professor Messer's videos for the 680 and they seem both comprehensive and at the right pace to keep me from falling asleep.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sitting in a 70-410 class this week, because hey free training from work why not!? Holy christ, New Horizons is such a joke of a training center. There are people in this class who have never done ANYTHING in IT before. I'm talking, one guy had to ask the instructor how to move his IE window from one monitor to another!! There are 10 people in this class, 3 of us have actual IT jobs, the rest are either ex military and new horizons is sucking all that sweet sweet GI Bill money from them and the others are currently out of working looking for a new career. 2 of the ex military people have already failed the A+ exam and are on full MSCE tracks and basically taking 410-411-412-413 week after week. I've wound up helping the instructor on most of the modules otherwise we'd have never gotten past module one because no one has a freaking clue. How can people/new horizons honestly think this is a good class for someone with no IT experience. I've gotten almost nothing out of this class except a free test Cert and will be studying for the test on my own as this class will not prepare anyone for the test.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna do the 70-533 (Azure Infrastructure) soon and I'm scared shitless. I've been to a bootcamp and I've been fiddling with the platform, but it's still so fresh to try and get a cert about it.. I used a free voucher so hey, let's hope. I scheduled it for December. If I get it I'll be one of the first (thousands I guess) so I'm happy :) I love my company.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Garrand posted:

I was actually aiming for 70-680 and 70-685 first, as it seemed more up my alley (Windows 7 and Desktop support) since I don't have any professional experience whatsoever. I'm...uh not making a mistake, am I? It has more to do with personal preference, right? I wouldn't just be throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain? As someone still on the outside it's kind of difficult to figure out what will best land me a decent job with learning opportunities. Also not sure what certs will be considered outdated sooner than others.

No mistakes. Usually when I talk to people about MS certs they're going for either MCSA or MCSE. Go with what you're comfortable with and feel like you have a grasp on. To be honest, back in the XP/2003 days I found the server tests much much easier then the XP tests. I haven't taken an OS cert since then so I don't know if that's still the case.

mattfl posted:

I'm sitting in a 70-410 class this week, because hey free training from work why not!? Holy christ, New Horizons is such a joke of a training center. There are people in this class who have never done ANYTHING in IT before. I'm talking, one guy had to ask the instructor how to move his IE window from one monitor to another!! There are 10 people in this class, 3 of us have actual IT jobs, the rest are either ex military and new horizons is sucking all that sweet sweet GI Bill money from them and the others are currently out of working looking for a new career. 2 of the ex military people have already failed the A+ exam and are on full MSCE tracks and basically taking 410-411-412-413 week after week. I've wound up helping the instructor on most of the modules otherwise we'd have never gotten past module one because no one has a freaking clue. How can people/new horizons honestly think this is a good class for someone with no IT experience. I've gotten almost nothing out of this class except a free test Cert and will be studying for the test on my own as this class will not prepare anyone for the test.

This is pretty much why my company stopped booking classes with Global Knowledge. We sent several people to Exchange "Boot camps" (they stopped doing cert tests at the end) and Adv AD management classes and ended up with rooms full of people that didn't know how to reset a password. We switched to Learning Tree which is a little better but still not perfect.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

No mistakes. Usually when I talk to people about certs they're going for either MCSA or MCSE. Go with what you're comfortable with and feel like you have a grasp on. To be honest, back in the XP/2003 days I found the server tests much much easier then the XP tests. I haven't taken an OS cert since then so I don't know if that's still the case.

This is pretty much why my company stopped booking classes with Global Knowledge. We sent several people to Exchange "Boot camps" (they stopped doing cert tests at the end) and Adv AD management classes and ended up with rooms full of people that didn't know how to reset a password. We switched to Learning Tree which is a little better but still not perfect.

We are currently learning subnetting and the blank stares are amazing!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

mattfl posted:

New Horizons is poo poo and a total ripoff but could you lay off the :smug: just a little bit there?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Race Realists posted:

New Horizons is poo poo and a total ripoff but could you lay off the :smug: just a little bit there?

I guess I was under the assumption that people taking this class would have some previous windows experience, wanting to further their MS certs, that is obviously not the case.

There are 15 modules for this class, we have gotten through 4 of them in 3 days because of the people that have 0 windows experience, we have 2 days left.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Doesn't GoodWill teach Computer Literacy classes for free?

i feel sorry for those folks getting screwed out of their money :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Race Realists posted:

i feel sorry for those folks getting screwed out of their money :smith:

This is absolutely right.