Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of cars and electronics: When I saw a commercial for Navdy recently, I'm not sure how popular it will be in the long run. It's a sort of bluetooth display that reflects a projection against your car windshield to give you a transparent HUD as you drive, letting you make calls, see your GPS directions, etc.

It reminded me of how I had my GPS sitting in my window one night and wondering why the GPS/phones didn't have a 'mirror' mode so that everything looked right side up in the reflection of the screen on the windshield. (Or do any?) Seems like it could do a similar trick without needing a whole new device to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of cars and electronics: When I saw a commercial for Navdy recently, I'm not sure how popular it will be in the long run. It's a sort of bluetooth display that reflects a projection against your car windshield to give you a transparent HUD as you drive, letting you make calls, see your GPS directions, etc.

It reminded me of how I had my GPS sitting in my window one night and wondering why the GPS/phones didn't have a 'mirror' mode so that everything looked right side up in the reflection of the screen on the windshield. (Or do any?) Seems like it could do a similar trick without needing a whole new device to do it.

You can buy something like this for like $30 from China, check out the AI chat thread for more details (just ask who bought the chinese HUD)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can download Android stuff that actually does that, though my phone at least isn't bright enough to actually reflect visibly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah, this is so much better than just sending a loving e-mail.

I deal with health insurance companies all day and need to send info to them (itemized bills, medical records, etc) and only ONE has the capability of receiving secured email.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

Geoj posted:

Do her a favor and install a sylfex AuxMod. Mazdas of that vintage (early 2000s up to 2013s) used a common stereo platform that included an expansion port that could connect to a tape deck, minidisc player (available in the Japanese market), trunk mounted disc changer and in later years, satellite radio. The AuxMod uses the port and emulates a tape deck, allowing an 1/8th inch stereo input.

I wholeheartedly recommend this thing. Had one in my '05 Mazda 3, and it was awesome. Super easy to install, good price, and rock solid reliable.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is an iOS app called HUDWAY:

It's bright enough, and seemed reasonably accurate, though it takes a while to realize you're stopped (hence the 15mph at a stoplight). Kinda needs a more secure mounting position than "toss your phone on the dash."

Donno if you can just make calls from within in app, since I'd still have to hit some buttons to call up siri for voice control to dial.

e. timg because they're ever so slightly too large.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Pham Nuwen posted:

The other problem is that satellite radio is always really loving boring. Sometimes I'll get rental cars that have satellite radio and it's always like somebody just typed "Classic Rock" or whatever genre into the iTunes store, bought the top 100 results, and hit shuffle. The DJs are always incredibly boring, and even the ads are worse than FM because they're not even localized.

What satellite radio are you listening to that has ads? I have SiriusXM in my car and the only ads I hear are rare ones for specials and sports stations (They use local radio stations of wherever the team is playing)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

OptimusShr posted:

What satellite radio are you listening to that has ads? I have SiriusXM in my car and the only ads I hear are rare ones for specials and sports stations (They use local radio stations of wherever the team is playing)

Every non-music station (and the music stations that are simulcasts of other stations like KIIS).

Satellite is still pretty awesome for talk radio, though a shadow of its former self. Most of the weird is gone now.

For music, its gotten just as bland as FM. A few of the stations are well programmed. Most are just 50 songs on shuffle. Sadly this is what the people apparently want, or at least what their focus groups tell them will keep people paying for it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The main power switch on my Panasonic record player/tape deck/8-track player finally died last night after 40 years of use. Luckily, it died while it was on and all I have to do is get one of those extension cord switch things. Wish I could take it apart and fix it myself, but I don't trust myself disassembling it, re-rigging the switch and then successfully putting it back together; the only screws are on the record player and sides.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The main power switch on my Panasonic record player/tape deck/8-track player finally died last night after 40 years of use. Luckily, it died while it was on and all I have to do is get one of those extension cord switch things. Wish I could take it apart and fix it myself, but I don't trust myself disassembling it, re-rigging the switch and then successfully putting it back together; the only screws are on the record player and sides.

Power should be quite easy. If it's not a super high quality system that you can't afford to replace, the power switch on a 40 year old system should be the simplest possible fix, give it a shot. My only word of caution is to take care with the turntable lest you disturb the balances and alignments and what not.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

HonorableTB posted:

I wouldn't mind satellite radio because for the vast majority of people, they have data caps that make Pandora/Spotify streaming (from their phones to the stereo via bluetooth) unfeasible unless they want to murder their entire data allotment for the month in a few hours.

For what it's worth, T-Mobile now offers unlimited use of pretty much all the major music services with even their cheapest plans. I guess time will tell, but I'd imagine that the other providers will be forced to follow suit in pretty short order to stay competitive.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zenostein posted:

This is an iOS app called HUDWAY:

It's bright enough, and seemed reasonably accurate, though it takes a while to realize you're stopped (hence the 15mph at a stoplight). Kinda needs a more secure mounting position than "toss your phone on the dash."

Donno if you can just make calls from within in app, since I'd still have to hit some buttons to call up siri for voice control to dial.

e. timg because they're ever so slightly too large.

Torque on Android is an OBD-II plugin interface, and it has a mirror mode for transparent HUD. I used it on a trip to North Carolina and set it so that the number turned red if I went over the speed limit.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

drrockso20 posted:

Okay since today's my birthday, I think it'd be a reasonable request for everyone to tell me all the interesting things you can about the Commodore 64, 128, and Amiga family of computers, since I think they are really cool and want to know more about them
It's weird that you'd call them a "family", since the Amiga has absolutely nothing to do with the 64/128. It was actually Jay Miner's pet project when he still worked at Atari (he designed the 2600 and 800/5200 there); then he started his own company to make it (Hi-Toro), which got bought out by Commodore. The Commodore 64, the 128, and the Amiga family. :doh:

Cool Amiga Fact: 14-bit stereo sound?!!

Cool C64 Fact: Bob Yannes really wanted to make full-scale synthesizers; the SID chip was just a little thing that he did on the way to his main goal. In a strange twist, the main chip in his flagship synthesizer line ended up in the Apple IIGS.

Cool C128 Fact: ??? What's there to say about a C64 with more RAM? I could probably dig up something in this book, but it's packed up in a storage unit right now.

Incidentally, that book and this one are absolutely essential if you're interested in the history of Commodore and their hardware. Unfortunately, the author got burned out halfway through writing the standalone Amiga volume and has put the project on hold for the time being, although he might finish things up in the future. :pray:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Oct 21, 2014

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
While we're talking car audio poo poo, I just want goddamned bluetooth in my 2006 ford taurus. Does a thing exist where you can plug it into your cigarette adaptor, it connects to your phone's bluetooth, then re-broadcasts that over FM to your radio? Because I want something like that

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NLTW60 in my car and it works great. Doesn't directly transmit over FM, but you can just plug the 3.5 jack into whatever; alt port, cassette adapter, fm transmitter, FM modulator (plugs directly into the radio instead of an antenna cable)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Riptor posted:

While we're talking car audio poo poo, I just want goddamned bluetooth in my 2006 ford taurus. Does a thing exist where you can plug it into your cigarette adaptor, it connects to your phone's bluetooth, then re-broadcasts that over FM to your radio? Because I want something like that

If you're going to just transmit fm, you might as well just buy an fm transmitter and connect it to the audio jack of your phone.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Riptor posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043M668G/

That will do FM out. It's just as annoying as the FM ipod tuners they used to sell, but it's what you're asking for.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Non Serviam posted:

If you're going to just transmit fm, you might as well just buy an fm transmitter and connect it to the audio jack of your phone.

Also you should move to the middle of Siberia to ensure that your FM transmitter will function.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

moller posted:

Also you should move to the middle of Siberia to ensure that your FM transmitter will function.

That'd be the same regardless of the Bluetooth though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Another fun fact that I just recalled, the Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive had a 6502 processor as a disk controller, the same processor used as the main CPU in the C64 itself.

Some clever coders figured out how to access the processor in the disk drive and it was used in some demos as a coprocessor to do pre-calculation of 3D scenes among other things.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Non Serviam posted:

well thats what I do currently. it would just be nice to have a bluetooth connection rather than the wired connection

moller posted:

I live in Boston and mine works fine

AFewBricksShy posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043M668G/

That will do FM out. It's just as annoying as the FM ipod tuners they used to sell, but it's what you're asking for.

that packaging is great. Our product is 4 feet tall and is designed to block your view while driving

Sentient Data posted:

I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NLTW60 in my car and it works great. Doesn't directly transmit over FM, but you can just plug the 3.5 jack into whatever; alt port, cassette adapter, fm transmitter, FM modulator (plugs directly into the radio instead of an antenna cable)

yeah I don't have an aux in though

Riptor has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Riptor posted:

well thats what I do currently. it would just be nice to have a bluetooth connection rather than the wired connection

I live in Boston and mine works fine

that packaging is great. Our product is 4 feet tall and is designed to block your view while driving

yeah I don't have an aux in though

The Bluetooth option might kill your battery faster though, since you'll be using the lighter for the Bluetooth transmitter.
gently caress radios without a line in plug..

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just use something like this: this, I plug the cassette AUX into the jack, and I have a cheap converter for my cigarette lighter that gives me two USB charging ports, so I can power the Bluetooth and (on longer trips) charge my phone. In-car Bluetooth for probably $15 total.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Collateral Damage posted:

Another fun fact that I just recalled, the Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive had a 6502 processor as a disk controller, the same processor used as the main CPU in the C64 itself.

Some clever coders figured out how to access the processor in the disk drive and it was used in some demos as a coprocessor to do pre-calculation of 3D scenes among other things.

This rules so much. The C64 is the best, it's just such an interesting platform to me. I've got a few, and matching 1702 monitors, which are amazing CRT monitors. They make nice little retrogaming monitors, and the C64 hooked up via chroma/luma [essentially s-video] looks reeeeeally good.

Also, much like Dreamcast, I do love the gentle harmony of a 1541 grinding away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnMgmlKi_o

I have a uIEC/SD [SD card drive emulator], and it just isn't the same.

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Oct 22, 2014

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I remember the rise of "IBM/PC compatible" and the shrinking relevance of my C64. It not for my friend's uncle who had a C128 with two 5 1/4 drives, I'd have had to stick with Turtle Graphics and Lemonade Stand instead of the 100+ games I ended up with.
For the price of a blank disk I got Mail-order Monsters, Archon, Knight Games, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, etc. I played them all with my one-button Atari clone joystick.
I even wrote an text-based adventure game in BASIC. That was back when computer mags would print code that you could type in by hand.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's weird that you'd call them a "family", since the Amiga has absolutely nothing to do with the 64/128. It was actually Jay Miner's pet project when he still worked at Atari (he designed the 2600 and 800/5200 there); then he started his own company to make it (Hi-Toro), which got bought out by Commodore. The Commodore 64, the 128, and the Amiga family. :doh:

Cool Amiga Fact: 14-bit stereo sound?!!

Cool C64 Fact: Bob Yannes really wanted to make full-scale synthesizers; the SID chip was just a little thing that he did on the way to his main goal. In a strange twist, the main chip in his flagship synthesizer line ended up in the Apple IIGS.

Cool C128 Fact: ??? What's there to say about a C64 with more RAM? I could probably dig up something in this book, but it's packed up in a storage unit right now.

Incidentally, that book and this one are absolutely essential if you're interested in the history of Commodore and their hardware. Unfortunately, the author got burned out halfway through writing the standalone Amiga volume and has put the project on hold for the time being, although he might finish things up in the future. :pray:

Thanks for the info, might have to take a look at those books

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Y'all with your fancypants C64s. I had a VIC-20 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20

Best part about it was the original, OG original Adventure game. Find the jar. Get some mud. Climb the tree to see the message. Chop down the tree. Then descend into one motherfucking challenging maze cave of trying not to die. It was awesome.

Edit: I think it may have been adventureLAND by scott adams? Someone scanned the manual here, NOT my hosting, Museum of Computer Adventure Game History, which I didn't even know existed until just now.

Ultimate Mango has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Oct 22, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

drrockso20 posted:

Thanks for the info, might have to take a look at those books
The second one that I linked is a good overview of the company's story with some in-depth looks at major products and politics. The other is the same length but covers half the timespan; if you're into the 8-bit stuff specifically, that's the one that you really want. There was supposed to be a follow-up volume called The Amiga Years that would have given the same attention to the second half of the company's history, but like I said, it's been shelved for now.

They're fantastic books. They really capture the spirits and characters of the people behind everything, to the point that they almost resemble novels (the author interviewed absolutely everybody relevant who was still alive before writing the first book - at least a quarter of the text is their own direct words - and there are even little "where are they now" sections at the ends of both), but they don't skimp on the technical side of things; there's a wealth of hard information on what the computers did and how they did it, along with concise explanations for unfamiliar readers. And the overal history is laid out with clarity and life, not just in the major scenes, but in the individual moments - the author knows the story and knows how to tell it right.

The only problem is the shameful (nonexistent?) proofreading in the original single-volume book; there are tons of typos that anybody could have caught. On the bright side, I think that there are later editions which clear a lot of that up, so look for them if you plan on getting that one.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Oct 23, 2014

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

If you love your C64s this might be right up your alley.

A fully emulated C64 (minus the SID)

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/23/a-complete-c64-system-emulated-on-an-stm32/

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Best part about it was the original, OG original Adventure game. Find the jar. Get some mud. Climb the tree to see the message. Chop down the tree. Then descend into one motherfucking challenging maze cave of trying not to die. It was awesome.

That was on the PDP-10.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Keiya posted:

That was on the PDP-10.

Maybe the absolute original Adventure, but it was on pretty much every other system before too long.

The PDP-10 was a pretty kickass system too. If you use Linux and have ever wondered why Emacs keybindings are just a bit different than other Unix tools, or why RMS seems to love Info so much instead of man pages, check out ITS. That's the pre-Unix OS he used on a PDP-10 and, like many things about RMS, has maintained a rose-tinted view of throughout the years.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Geoj posted:

Do her a favor and install a sylfex AuxMod. Mazdas of that vintage (early 2000s up to 2013s) used a common stereo platform that included an expansion port that could connect to a tape deck, minidisc player (available in the Japanese market), trunk mounted disc changer and in later years, satellite radio. The AuxMod uses the port and emulates a tape deck, allowing an 1/8th inch stereo input.

THANK YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Maybe the absolute original Adventure, but it was on pretty much every other system before too long.

The PDP-10 was a pretty kickass system too. If you use Linux and have ever wondered why Emacs keybindings are just a bit different than other Unix tools, or why RMS seems to love Info so much instead of man pages, check out ITS. That's the pre-Unix OS he used on a PDP-10 and, like many things about RMS, has maintained a rose-tinted view of throughout the years.

That's also true, yes.

As for info... I get why he likes info over man pages (it's much better for the long-form documentation he prefers) but I wish that they'd do reference pages for man, too, because sometimes you just need to look up a single switch or something.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

The funny part is that TECO EMACS keybindings are different from GNU Emacs keybindings. Most notably anything that uses ^Z is different because on ITS that summons your job's superior job, usually the HACTRN.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I remember it on the VAX (something like that at least, dumb terminal system) at my grandfather's business. That and Hunt the Wumpus. I hated that loving Wumpus.

Ultimate Mango has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

So I just recently came into possession of an old Kodak Brownie Fun Saver video camera, and I really wonder, how long ago were these things made? Looking around on the Internet, the most specific answer I can find is basically "sometime in the '60s."

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Doctor Bishop posted:

So I just recently came into possession of an old Kodak Brownie Fun Saver video camera, and I really wonder, how long ago were these things made? Looking around on the Internet, the most specific answer I can find is basically "sometime in the '60s."

Those were on the market from September 1963 to November 1968. So, a little more specific than just 'in the Sixties' but not much more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Sorting out my parents' cable box (and the myriad of USB Micro-B and Ethernet cables), I came across this particular gizmo:

From the looks of it, it appears to be a plug for a PC so that TRRS headphones with mics can retain both functions.

But then again, the two male plugs are only TS, so… :confused:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

Sorting out my parents' cable box (and the myriad of USB Micro-B and Ethernet cables), I came across this particular gizmo:

From the looks of it, it appears to be a plug for a PC so that TRRS headphones with mics can retain both functions.

That's an airplane audio adapter that lets you use your personal stereo mini headphones with the onboard audio system.

Edit: Back in the day, airplanes provided headphones in a complimentary fashion. The dual mono setup is designed to prevent theft, as they won't work with the majority of audio devices. Newer airplanes have standard stereo mini jacks, as airlines generally don't give out free anything these days.

Varance has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

TinTower posted:

Looks like an airplane headphone adapter to me.