Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Like with all other hosts, I enjoy the segments but the monologue needs to loving die and the interviews are a waste of time more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conan's monologue is awful and beyond formulaic, but it's a general problem in late night that all hosts feel compelled to stick to the same drat format. Only Craig Ferguson really owns the monologue.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ufarn posted:

Conan's monologue is awful and beyond formulaic, but it's a general problem in late night that all hosts feel compelled to stick to the same drat format. Only Craig Ferguson really owns the monologue.

Yes, I meant in general. The monologue needs to die in all shows forever.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
To not defend Conan, his pathological refusal to change up his style is one of my biggest problems with him. He's just been phoning it in Letterman style, since he joined TBS.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You still get gems like Triumph Takes On Times Square Mascots.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I can't believe that's a thing now. New York never should have let Bloomberg quit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Special performance on Letterman tonight.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Krieger's going to be jealous.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

Special performance on Letterman tonight.
I gotta say, for the years Dave has been on the air, his musical guests have always run the complete gamut of genres.

That was definitely a thing that I saw on television.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
The sad thing is, the Letterman of 20 years ago would have turned this into a bit of awkward comedy gold intentionally.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
We'll have to wait and see what he does tonight. He waited till the next day for the Die Antwoord jokes.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
Well, Fred's back on Late Night...ugh

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Even worse, Seth is still there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Foo Fighters are the musical guest on Letterman all week long this week. Last night they played War Pigs with Zac Brown, and also Dave interviewed Dave (:haw:). Maybe they'll play a song from their new album at some point this week.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Chand0X posted:

Even worse, Seth is still there.

Haha, yeah I agree. I tried to give this show a chance over the last couple months, but I just don't think I can do it anymore.
In my opinion the best segment on the show was Seth's behind the desk bits after the monologue. Now that Fred's back, most of that time is now back to those god-awful, forced, "it's so crazy cuz it's true!" chats. Bleh.
And last nights "famous quotes", which is a recurring bit, is so painfully unfunny I can't even imagine a grade school kid enjoying it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Lenny Pickett (SNL's lead saxophonist since 1985) sat in with The Roots last night on the Jimmy Fallon Experience. And now I find that NBC doesn't sell episodes on iTunes or Amazon or anywhere else. :cry:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/700906

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Seriously

I was actually starting to enjoy the show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, Conan had this fake CNN news bit about Andy contracting ebola on tonight's episode and it was loving hilarious.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
Fallon's interview of Bradley Cooper last night was at once atrocious and amazing. Just two guys giggling for six straight minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Still Fluxing posted:

Fallon's interview of Bradley Cooper last night was at once atrocious and amazing. Just two guys giggling for six straight minutes.
I seriously don't think I've ever heard Fallon giggle that much during an interview. He literally falls out of his chair from laughing so hard at one point. It was kind of endearing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Normally presumably they'd cut it out and reset, it's just that this time it seems they had nothing else and went 'gently caress it, just air it'.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Normally presumably they'd cut it out and reset, it's just that this time it seems they had nothing else and went 'gently caress it, just air it'.

To be fair it was fairly entertaining, I do like me some Bradley Cooper, and I guess most importantly it was a break from the usual monotony of the interviews.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Letterman's Cue Card Guy Fired After Assault

Sounds like a laugh and a half to be on the Letterman staff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Still Fluxing posted:

Letterman's Cue Card Guy Fired After Assault

Sounds like a laugh and a half to be on the Letterman staff.

At least Dave wasn't loving him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, we don't know that yet

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, we don't know that yet

Speaking of Dave loving people, I was going through some old VHS tapes this week and found some episodes from 2004 where Dave had Stephanie dressing up to do Viewer Mail. I always thought that was odd.

Anyway, it's convenient that Dave is on vacation this week.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 21, 2014

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's kind of weird what a cult of personality Letterman's got going on. He doesn't gently caress his male staff, but then he doesn't have to. They're still fighting over who's more important to him. I've never met the man, but there must be something magnetic about it. poo poo like this never happens to the other Late Night hosts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The cue card guy thinking he was important is a little weird.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The cue card guy thinking he was important is a little weird.

Well, Dave used to involve him in skits and such, and he'd been around for over 20 years, so it's not like he was some nameless lackey. Still, plenty weird. I hope Letterman's retirement will bring some tell-all books about life on the Late Show in its wake.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Still Fluxing posted:

Well, Dave used to involve him in skits and such, and he'd been around for over 20 years, so it's not like he was some nameless lackey. Still, plenty weird. I hope Letterman's retirement will bring some tell-all books about life on the Late Show in its wake.

I want to hear what Stephanie wrote in her diaries. I just can't imagine her and Dave together.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I want to hear what Stephanie wrote in her diaries. I just can't imagine her and Dave together.

I don't want to imagine them together, but I don't think it's that hard to guess how it came about. He: witty, powerful, charismatic, sort of handsome in his tailored suits; She: young and pretty and probably in awe of him.

Not much potential for anything more than an affair, but that? -sure.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
Since it hasn't been posted here..... Late Late Show with James Corden starts March 9th. Between the time Craig leaves and his debut in March, CBS will have rotating guest hosts.

http://splitsider.com/2014/10/the-late-late-show-with-james-corden-premieres-on-cbs-march-9th/

Not that I care since for me, late night television dies when Craig leaves.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is of doing that. Last time, as the article mentions, it was specifically to try people out. You've already picked your host, so I guess it's just to get headlines when you inevitably get Charlie Sheen or someone to host and it's a trainwreck?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe there's been enough skepticism about James Corden that they wanna screen some backups.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Chand0X posted:

Since it hasn't been posted here..... Late Late Show with James Corden starts March 9th. Between the time Craig leaves and his debut in March, CBS will have rotating guest hosts.

http://splitsider.com/2014/10/the-late-late-show-with-james-corden-premieres-on-cbs-march-9th/

Not that I care since for me, late night television dies when Craig leaves.

Thanks to you, I've been made aware that there is a tape somewhere of Donal Logue hosting the Late Late Show, and I'm never going to get to see it. :commissar:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It doesn't seem like a great idea to create more comparisons for a guy no one in the US knows. It'll be interesting to see if they just pick people who obviously wouldn't do it full time, or any of the names that were being thrown around before the announcement.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A week of Aisha Taylor might be good just to get that little bit of that "what if" out of everybody's system once and for all.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

A week of Aisha Taylor might be good just to get that little bit of that "what if" out of everybody's system once and for all.

A week of Aisha might make CBS think "Damnit, why didn't we pick her?".

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chand0X posted:

A week of Aisha might make CBS think "Damnit, why didn't we pick her?".
I'm sure she was considered behind the scenes but with her co hosting duties on The Talk with Chenbot and Whose Line Is It Anyways? and her podcast Aisha is very much spread out in all directions to add Late Night talk host to her resume. She's got plenty of exposure right where she at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hooooly gently caress, Max Weinberg came back on Conan tonight :aaaaa: This is surreal and glorious.