Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. F - Paebel is the best choice, not only can he give her solid guidance in archery and survival, he can also help her learn to think on her feet and outside the box, and generally gain levels in Resourcefulness. Let's not forget, Paebel, a non-Blooded dude who just happens to have balls the size of basketballs, was able to sneak in and out of an area that's generally regarded as a No Man's Land, even for well-Blooded individuals. That's not just Wilderness Survival, that's textbook Getting poo poo Done.

2. H - Big Game Hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. F

2. H

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
F
H

But be sure to have a talk with Ruth about El re: him being great, and a chat with Paebel about not deliberately converting our daughter to heresy. Even if some of us believe that heresy.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. F

2. A

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
F
H

There is a strong chance this will lead to Ruth also being a heretic sure, but I feel like it is also the best bet for her not to die. Especially if we do decide to send her on a manhood trial which I'm pretty sure the thread will do.

Even if we don't send her on a manhood trial, El forbid that something happens that causes her to get separated from the woods away from the group.

Also Naomi is kinda sad now because her little girl isn't going to have a normal life because Tudya hates her. Voting to ask ish to do the thing that makes kids but this time make it a girl. That way we have another girl that Tudya doesn't hate and that Naomi can mold? Or it causes more drama. But its a fun story nonetheless.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Ish seemed reluctant enough to do it the first time. It definitely sounds like something either distasteful or unpleasant is involved in the process. Let's just wait until we rescue some more orphan kids. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

FH, but gently warn Paebel that this isn't an opportunity to preach to her.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There is some talk about how odd it is that we've only 'had' one child in all these years. By all accounts we should be knee deep in babies, especially girls, and people find it odd. It probably implies things about the fertility of Naomi.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Given we spend so much time in the desert playing with our balls I think it says more about us.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
No, in this culture it's always the woman's fault.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shadeoses posted:

No, in this culture it's always the woman's fault.

Clearly, what we need to do is to acquire more wives so that it's completely obvious whose fault it is and the heat gets taken off Naomi.

Don't worry, honey, we're doing this because we love you! :v:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Voting against more creepy fake Ish babies because holy poo poo guys that's creepy

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Voting against more creepy fake Ish babies because holy poo poo guys that's creepy

Didn't Ish-hole say he hated creating the fake babies? I vote for more of them 'cause gently caress Ish-hole.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

It would probably be less creepy if goons hadn't turned down Ish's offer to explain to us how he made them. Goons! :argh:

(yes, I'm still mad about goons blocking the one time a character offered to explain poo poo to us, like, 6 months later.)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting closes in two hours.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

FoxTerrier posted:

It would probably be less creepy if goons hadn't turned down Ish's offer to explain to us how he made them. Goons! :argh:

(yes, I'm still mad about goons blocking the one time a character offered to explain poo poo to us, like, 6 months later.)

Did he? I don't remember that.

But you should be more mad about us turning down a chance to get a YEARS worth of knowledge about minotaurs. Just so we wouldn't look crazy to our Balls and pilgrims.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

FoxTerrier posted:

We didn't want to know about how Ishamal cucked us

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

Voting closes in two hours.

Glad I realized I forgot to vote.

1. D+F
2. B

FoxTerrier posted:

I was thinking about that the other day and imagined if goons had done something similar in Rivers.

Denziroh: "Sebek, you said this body was made from a mortal body? Whose?"
Sebek: "Please, great god, do not inquire. I don't want to talk about it."
Denziroh: "Okay!"

[CRISIS AVERTED]

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wait, he offered to explain how Creepy Babby was made?
I thought he pretty much told us "Look, you really don't want to know, and it doesn't change the fact that you have a child to raise now."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

Wait, he offered to explain how Creepy Babby was formed?
I thought he pretty much told us "Look, you really don't want to know, and it doesn't change the fact that you have a child to raise now."

FTFY

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Quick poll:

1. Did you vote to create the creepy netherbaby?

2. Did you grow to care about him?

3. Did you vote to adopt the crier from creepy cannibal country?

4. Did you grow to care about her?

5. Who do you love more, Ash or Baby Ruth?
A. Asahel
B. Ruth
C. I love them both equally.
D. I hate them both equally.
E. I hate them both equally, but Ruth more because she's a girl.
F. Superbow!
G. Captain Club
H. something something about David and Ahaz jr.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cornuto posted:

1. Ruth will....(Pick ONE)
E. Get her a teacher. Chait, if he is willing. He is probably the best bow instructor in Zepath.
-- Try not to insult him. The bow is already seen as 'not manly.' Asking him to teach a woman may be extra insulting. Mention that we're teaching our children, all of them, the bow. If he reacts poorly to that don't ask him to train Ruth.
Fall back if Chait won't agree, or seems insulted:
F. Get her a teacher. Paebel, if he is willing. He can also expand her knowledge of wilderness survival and stealth.
-- BUT give him a not too subtle warning that if he preaches any melachim-worship to her, we're going to have a problem.

J. I pray to El alone and ask for a task worthy of myself and my Balls.
--If no answer is received:
----G. I go to the Temple of El in Ibleam and try to find out if anything lay beneath. (Assuming this doesn't take 3 years)
+
----H. My strength grows and my Balls, now with many more Blooded men within it are, if not a threat to kings, a force to threaten monsters. My Balls are bored. There is no risk they will abandon me, nor that they will fall into poverty but they want more glory and riches and I am not getting them much of either right now. The Manticore is not the only terror in this region. At this moment I am drinking with my Balls as we plot our next adventure! Lets go kill something really nasty! Glory! Plunder!

J!
Sure.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Went back to read Ish's first offer (page 44 of Diog's posts) and second offer (page 59 of Diog's posts) of fake babies - I can't find an instance where he offers answers and we decline. He indicates it will be Naomi's child, and not ours; no other man can lay claim to it, its an unusual but not a difficult thing, and he told us not to worry of the cost.

Some interesting things I noticed while rereading:

Ishamal had this to say on the question of "What am I?",

Diogines posted:

"You are Enkidel, Jalitha's natural son and Tudiya's adopted one. I know what you are, but not why. I suspect. Answers you are not ready for, which you might do great evil with. If you show me in the years ahead you are wise, show me you can control yourself and I may tell you."

I know I had forgotten, but Ishamal confirmed we are indeed Jalitha's natural child.

Regarding our fake children's Bloodedness, and what having few sons or many sons can indicate:

Diogines posted:

LLSix posted:
b) Would the children be Mighty? How Mighty? I'm concerned on the effect on my kids if they're not Mighty enough to measure up to what others might expect of them. Already many expect much more of me than we both know I am capable of without great risk.

"They would be as the unblooded are."

Diogines posted:

Iamyourking posted:
Is it considered to be shameful for a Mighty Man to have non-Mighty sons? Also, won't any children still have a good chance of becoming moderately Mighty due to having Tudiya as a maternal grandfather? We know from Aaron that the sons of his daughters can still be quite powerful even if the daughters themselves cannot be Mighty.

Tudiya has many, many daughters and one son.

Blooded men tend to have less sons. Looking at Zepath, it seems that the more Blooded someone is, the less sons they will probably have.

It is not "shameful" for a Blooded man to have an unblooded son, but it is certainly seen as sub-optimal. Everyone wants their descendants to be Blooded.

Asahel (our son) is likely going to exhibit little real Might per Ish - and given the fact he is the only child we have appeared to have had naturally so far, he may actually be expected to be very Blooded in society's eyes. It will be a disappointment for sure when he appears to have very little Bloodedness at all from the gigantic heroic obviously heavily Blooded Enkidel.

Also, if David is the son of a king, he likely will be greatly Blooded. We may need to ensure that David and Asahel's friendly rivalry doesn't escalate into jealousy.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I think so? I think I wanted to support Danal's adoption of her, actually. Wasn't too disappointed with adopting her ourselves, though.
4. Yes.
5. What? How could you! I love all my children equally! (B. That might be because we've paid more attention to her than Asahel, lately, or it might be because I feel a stronger identity with her as someone rescued from Athar, vs. Naomi's child to whom we are only slightly more a father than Ahaz Jr.)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1. Did you vote to create the creepy netherbaby? - Yes.
2. Did you grow to care about him? - Yes.
3. Did you vote to adopt the crier from creepy cannibal country? - More or less. I didn't oppose it.
4. Did you grow to care about her? - Yes.
5. Who do you love more, Ash or Baby Ruth? - B. by a narrow margin but only because she's a more developed character right now.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

1. Did you vote to create the creepy netherbaby?
Yes.
2. Did you grow to care about him?
Not really.
3. Did you vote to adopt the crier from creepy cannibal country?
I don't remember.
4. Did you grow to care about her?
Nah.
5. Who do you love more, Ash or Baby Ruth?
H. something something about David and Ahaz jr.

I'm kind of hoping they grow up to be be cool, because so far they haven't really done much story-wise besides distract us from doing cool poo poo. This is to be expected since they're just kids, and haven't had much of a chance to yet. I've just got no real emotional investment in them as a reader.

As an analogy, if they were GoT characters they'd be Rickon Stark. If John Snow died I'd care. If Arya died, I'd care. If Rickon died... that sucks, I guess but whatever. I mean, I don't want him to die because he's a kid, but it isn't a big loss to me as a reader.

Ruth is starting to become interesting with her wanting to be a female adventurer.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 21, 2014

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. I don't remember, honestly. I kinda waffled on the issue back and forth between yes and no.
2. Yes
3. I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I voted no.
4. Not really.
5. Ash.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Task Manager posted:

Went back to read Ish's first offer (page 44 of Diog's posts) and second offer (page 59 of Diog's posts) of fake babies - I can't find an instance where he offers answers and we decline.

It was part of a Q and A. And, technically, I guess he didn't tell us to explain how he made Ash so much as explain what he was (which is close enough).

FoxTerrier posted:

Ask Ish... You said my son would not be mighty. And yet...his hands, his growth...?

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says to you "You have a wife who loves you and a son as well. Things any man could desire. If you truly wants to know, I will tell you, are you sure you wish to? I would suggest you put it out of your mind. Your son is healthy and happy."

Goons decided that they, in fact, did not want to know. Since then I've tended to view all goon complaints about Ish withholding information with a shaking fist. :argh:

edit: also holy crap, I have like 27 pages of posts in this game. somehow. The remaining 1234 are all y'alls fault though.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2014

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
F I

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

FoxTerrier posted:

Goons decided that they, in fact, did not want to know. Since then I've tended to view all goon complaints about Ish withholding information with a shaking fist. :argh:

Ahhh, I stopped re-reading right around where we fought the Roc, so missed that bit when we returned in the aftermath.

Well.....poo poo. We really did have an instance where Ish offerred answers and we just ignored it.

To be fair, that seems to be right when the whole Larry Murder Bird insanity started. Goons obviously cared more about taming death hawks than how our son was made. :(

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Morand posted:

Voting to ask ish to do the thing that makes kids but this time make it a girl. That way we have another girl that Tudya doesn't hate and that Naomi can mold? Or it causes more drama. But its a fun story nonetheless.

+1

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Oh, right, voting.

1. D. A good tripartite sibling relationship should be healthy - if two of them ever quarrel for whatever reason, the third can intervene to calm tensions. Would be good to ensure a strong bond between the three in the future. Besides, the best practice is against moving targets, and this will be practical training.

2. H. Let's give our new, reformed Balls a test-drive. Kinda wanna see what we'd get if we asked El for a job, though.

Also, if it matters, I'm personally against the test tube baby. Ish was clearly uncomfortable with it but was willing to go ahead to help make us happy, I don't think he's gonna bend twice, and even if he will I suspect he has good reason to be uncomfortable.

Edit:
Just in time!
vvvv

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is closed. Anyone volunteer to count?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

I can. I'll start now.

THE COUNT

1. Ruth will....(Pick ONE)

F. Get her a teacher. Paebel, if he is willing. He can also expand her knowledge of wilderness survival and stealth. - 22 (26) votes (4 votes for F were if E failed; if included the count is 26).

A. Keep training with you with the bow, but spend more time on it. - 12 votes
E. Get her a teacher. Chait, if he is willing. He is probably the best bow instructor in Zepath. - 10 votes
D. Be sent often into the hills near Zepath to hunt wild game, with her brothers. They will keep each other out of trouble and they can learn more of the wilderness with her. - 3 votes

Solo practice, hunting wild game, and Gaddiel had zero support.

2....(What do you do now?)

H. My strength grows and my Balls, now with many more Blooded men within it are, if not a threat to kings, a force to threaten monsters. My Balls are bored. There is no risk they will abandon me, nor that they will fall into poverty but they want more glory and riches and I am not getting them much of either right now. The Manticore is not the only terror in this region. At this moment I am drinking with my Balls as we plot our next adventure! Lets go kill something really nasty! Glory! Plunder! - 18 votes

J. I pray to El alone and ask for a task worthy of myself and my Balls. - 7 votes
G. I go to the Temple of El in Ibleam and try to find out if anything lay beneath. - 5 votes
B. No time has passed. With plunder stolen from merchants and travelers and slaves bought with the spoils, the city of Barkath continues to grow. It is deeply hated in Zepath, Dor and Tanaach. I sneak upon it to see the truth of the place for myself. - 4 votes
I. I volunteer the services of my Balls to the House of El. Will they have a mission for me? - 4 votes
A. Three more years passed, in much the same way as the last three. Assuming nothing too drastic has happened in the interim(which is never certain), then tomorrow Ruth turns 16... that is when Manhood trials are done. - 3 votes
C. Ishamal is teaching me to "hide" myself from supernatural eyes. It is very, very draining but he says I am making good progress. I can hold my breath for a very long time. As Zepath is troubled by minotaurs, fish-monsters generationally trouble Tanaach. I wish to see them myself, I go looking for them. - 2 votes
E. I AM insane. Minotaurs which troubled us come from the mountains of Fare. I go explore them. - 1 vote

Lake Acco, the Deep Dark, asking statues of Melachim for tasks, asking Kings for tasks, all had zero votes.

3 people want to let Ruth know/warn Paebel that El is where it's at, and training isn't a place to talk about Melachim worship.
2 people want to make magic babies with Ishamal again.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 21, 2014

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Count is above. Training with Paebel and Big Game Hunting were the clear winners.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Man, Enkidel should finally admit the truth in his heart and formally take Paebel in as his second wife already.

(I kid, Paebel is pretty awesome. It's just funny how immensely attached we've gotten to him. Anyone still remember his first appearance?)

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Tomn posted:

Man, Enkidel should finally admit the truth in his heart and formally take Paebel in as his second wife already.

(I kid, Paebel is pretty awesome. It's just funny how immensely attached we've gotten to him. Anyone still remember his first appearance?)

As a card carrying member of Team Paebel, I can confirm his first appearance was:

Diogines posted:

A year has passed. You are now 14. Danal is 8. Danal's youngest sister, Naomi is 16 or 17 and growing increasingly beautiful.

Barkof, well muscled and roughly eight feet tall for whatever reason, wished you to train with him at the Temple of the Melachim. The large bushy bearded man is frightfully strong, possibly only second to Tudiya himself. Danal needed no encouragement to come along, he loved all things related to fighting. You watched Barkof and the giant priestess Bareen train many men to leave Zepath to hunt monsters. Most did not return. Some did, carrying heads and trophies of grisly and hard fought victories.

During this time, you became friends with Paebel, the freeborn child of a debtor slave who works in the temple and is the same age as you. Paebel dreams of one day being a famous adventurer.

The bromance didn't kick into high gear until we helped him get one of Spawn's horns (allowing him to free his father from slavery), and he in return turned against the majoirty of the people he had been friends with to fight for us at the Temple of Melachim battle.

gently caress yeah Paebel

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Tomn posted:

Also, if it matters, I'm personally against the test tube baby. Ish was clearly uncomfortable with it but was willing to go ahead to help make us happy, I don't think he's gonna bend twice, and even if he will I suspect he has good reason to be uncomfortable.

At least in this instance Ish can go gently caress himself with an iron rod. We gave up the ability to have natural children, to found our own Blooded lineage, for him. If he won't help us get a 'normal' daughter for Naomi to mother I say we make awkward eye contact with him and just hold our breath. Maybe if we go Full Hunger and eat him we'll finally get some god drat answers.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I think Ishamal is awesome and people are quick to forget he went full hero mode to save us from certain death, but I love the image of us giving him the most belligerent look and holding our breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Slightly Lions posted:

At least in this instance Ish can go gently caress himself with an iron rod. We gave up the ability to have natural children, to found our own Blooded lineage, for him. If he won't help us get a 'normal' daughter for Naomi to mother I say we make awkward eye contact with him and just hold our breath. Maybe if we go Full Hunger and eat him we'll finally get some god drat answers.

Let me ask you a question.

Suppose that the method of making this test-tube baby requires secretly collecting samples of Naomi's bodily fluids - EACH of her bodily fluids, leaving out not a single type. These fluids are then mixed together with some of our own bodily fluids, and a thickening agent to added to the whole thing before it is molded into the shape of a small fetus. This hideous, dripping, tiny little doll is then taken to a small, specially-consecrated altar, where it is burned after a long prayer to El. The ashes left behind are then secretly mixed into Naomi's morning coffee-equivalent, and thus she becomes pregnant.

Now supposing that was the procedure, would you still want Ishamal or anyone else to make another test-tube baby?

The concern here isn't Ishamal's feelings - the concern is that the procedure might be somewhat more unpleasant than we'd be willing to repeatedly condone if we knew how it worked.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 21, 2014