Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Pike posted:

linux is an operating system.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Lol gnome3. Not even once.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Been trying gnome 3 for the past couple of months and I like it better than unity. Also giving Firefox another try because I made a friend that works there.

Firefox has crashed on me more than a few times and so has flash. Guess I need to figure out why this is happening. Welcome to Linux I guess

Thinking I might kubuntu for no other reason than hope it doesn't have my web browsers crash

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yeah I rarely use flash but the one or two times I opened some flash thing it totally killed my firefox. I also used to get some weird font issues on firefox but I don't think I've seen them lately.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

probably the top bar thing that is literally 90% empty space with a dumb rear end clock dead center

I like gnome3, it grew on me over time but this is a thing that bothers my autism tbqh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

Been trying gnome 3 for the past couple of months and I like it better than unity.

so you like a poo poo sandwich better than a poo poo and tzatziki gyro?

syntaxrigger posted:

Firefox has crashed on me more than a few times and so has flash. Guess I need to figure out why this is happening. Welcome to Linux I guess

flash has always been bad on linux, but now it is unsupported. adobe no longer updates it, and it uses a dead browser plugin api from the 90s. i doubt it is even getting security patches

if you want flash on linux, chrome is mandatory. it comes with google's proprietary flash implementation, so it is not dependent on the dead adobe product. (not chromium, but google-branded chrome)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw i currently use firefox with neither flash nor java installed. feels good man

youtube is like 99.9% html 5 now. it has been ages since i found an unplayable video

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
steve jobs' greatest act in life was to destroy flash as a going concern

thteve

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Mr Dog posted:

thteve

eq

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw i currently use firefox with neither flash nor java installed. feels good man

youtube is like 99.9% html 5 now. it has been ages since i found an unplayable video

you have to disable flash blocking plugins cause they will cause youtube to think you have flash installed

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Share Bear posted:

you have to disable flash blocking plugins cause they will cause youtube to think you have flash installed
is it enough to just have Firefox set to "ask before enabling flashplugin" ?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

'minimise' to another workspace hth

so instead of one button click I have to flail my cursor up to the hot corner. click and drag the window to the other side of the screen and then click another window to close the overlay and focus it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

is it enough to just have Firefox set to "ask before enabling flashplugin" ?

that should work

if i absolutely have to use flash i use chrome as previously recommended

everyone should uninstall flash, on windows and osx as well

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

hasn't gnome 3 been out for like 4 years now and they still haven't got their poo poo together?

even kde4 matured in about 2 years

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

actually gnomes poo poo is extremely together

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Yeah gnome has been good since 3.8ish I think. Whenever it was they added ~classic mode~

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Ludwig van Halen posted:

hasn't gnome 3 been out for like 4 years now and they still haven't got their poo poo together?

even kde4 matured in about 2 years

gnome is the least poo poo of the modern crop. kde is forever lol and not mature, they need to kidnap designers and ux people. openbox is v needs suiting so i don't bother with full a de

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What about XFCE and LXDE?

And Unity?

And that thing Mint uses... Cinnamon?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

OldAlias posted:

gnome is the least poo poo of the modern crop. kde is forever lol and not mature, they need to kidnap designers and ux people. openbox is v needs suiting so i don't bother with full a de

yeah let me just cj my desktop used by literal autists

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

desktop linux you double autist. ux janitoring is what brought me here a decade ago

e: xfce is acceptable, unity is garbage, mint is dumb so i don't know about cinnamon

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 21, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OldAlias posted:

kde is forever lol and not mature, they need to kidnap designers and ux people.

they actually did this for kde 5. not the kidnapping part, but they have actual non-programmer designers working on it.

it's still a work in progress, but it already looks and feels far better than kde 4 ever did.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

there are so many op :)

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you like a poo poo sandwich better than a poo poo and tzatziki gyro?
I just enjoy poo poo I guess? I mean I AM reading you posts

Forgot about HTML 5 option for Firefox. Need to hook that up. Thanks

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

power botton posted:

actually gnomes poo poo is extremely together

If you mean they glued literal poo poo together to make it, then ya

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
yospos, please tell me your opinion on openbox as a window manager. my beard is grey as all heck

i use fedora 20 with openbox as my main work computer. it does all the things i need and i look cool while doing them!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Winkle-Daddy posted:

yospos, please tell me your opinion on openbox as a window manager. my beard is grey as all heck

i use fedora 20 with openbox as my main work computer. it does all the things i need and i look cool while doing them!

Screen shot or it didn't happen.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
openbox/fluxbox/shitbox was "cool" in like 2003

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

pram posted:

shitbox

:newlol:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

pram posted:

openbox/fluxbox/shitbox was "cool" in like 2003

lol, i started using openbox because counter-strike source ran like asssssss on gnome3/unity, but much better with openbox. then i got used to it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i never understood the point because if you're using something like openbox, what is the point of having a desktop? why not use a tiling wm?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

pram posted:

i never understood the point because if you're using something like openbox, what is the point of having a desktop? why not use a tiling wm?

because a guy i worked with used a tiling wm and was a total dick about how much better he was for it. so to answer your question: spite.

e: also openbox does some auto config stuff now so its very fast to get it up and running. i remember you used to have to build your menu from scratch, now i just launch obmenu and throw the poo poo i use all the time on the top.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 22, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

an old chestnut i found on my backup drive

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

an old chestnut i found on my backup drive

dang rude

handicapped people have much to contribute

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Please don't conflate my autism with them gimp legs in TYOOL 2014. Grow up.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
just use mate. it's like gnome but without the half assed attempt at cargo-culting the worst bits of windows 8 and lion.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
"just use mate, because the desktop paradigm peaked circa 1997" - yospos, unironically

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
pretend that i posted that gif of the guy in the car and he looks at you like 'what lol' as he pulls away except its me in the car and the car is gnome-shell

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it peaks with each new os x version

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

oval office AND PASTE posted:

just use fvwm, because the desktop paradigm peaked circa 1993
this is actually true.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

oval office AND PASTE posted:

pretend that i posted that gif of the guy in the car and he looks at you like 'what lol' as he pulls away except its me in the car and the car is gnome-shell

the guy is hit rapper 50 Cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I set up Linux for my parents, but they didn't like ion3 so I reinstalled windows.