Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Saturnian Poetry is absolutely fantastic, making the Memoria Vetusta-trilogy one of the best concepts in metal. I've got chills running down my spine from those glorious harmonies and unrelenting crescendos.

I've heard from a few friends who are big BAN fans that it's pretty disappointing and easily worse than the first 2 Memoria Vetustas. I really liked Paien when I heard it but I'm sort of afraid to listen to the rest because I don't want it to be a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Germ Incubator posted:

Hey, another new poster on this board.
Has anyone here ever been to Inferno Festival? I'm tentatively making plans to fly over next year (I'm in the UK.)
The bands announced so far:

Behemoth
Enslaved
My Dying Bride
SepticFlesh
Antichrist
Bloodbath
Mortuary Drape
Slagmaur
Dødsengel
Skeletonwitch
Svartidaudi
Ensiferum

Looks like I'll be going on my todd though, having no black metal fan buddies, so silently making GBS threads it haha.
I've been there five times, and as I'm now living in Oslo I'll probably be going next year as well, if nothing else for Dødsengel and Svartidaudi. The festival is alright, just be prepared to pay around eight pounds for a beer.

I'm waiting for the plane home from Laudata Nex Magicka. Aside from Vemod, I was blown away by Cult of Fire and Mare. Everybody make sure to see Bölzer when you get the chance, I think they'll be touring with Behemoth soon.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Lord Mantis has canceled the second half of their tour:

Lord Mantis posted:

Due to unfortunate circumstances, Lord Mantis has had to cancel the back half of the current tour with TITD. We are not playing tonight nor any further dates on this tour. This one has been a multi-faceted beast of a reason for us, and at this current time we need to decompress and reevaluate many things. We apologize to all fans who were looking forward to seeing us on the second leg of this tour. Until next time when we can once again perform in a more appropriate fashion. Our current merch will be back online in a weeks time. - A.M.

From what I've heard, this has to do with Charlie not being able to stay sober while performing. I really hope he can get it together and they can keep going, but it's going to take a major lifestyle change on his part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfsNB99Y_g

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Monkeytime posted:

From what I've heard, this has to do with Charlie not being able to stay sober while performing. I really hope he can get it together and they can keep going, but it's going to take a major lifestyle change on his part.

Ah poo poo. Hope they have it sorted in time for Roadburn. They're playing Death Mask in full, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

ElectricWizard posted:

I've been there five times, and as I'm now living in Oslo I'll probably be going next year as well, if nothing else for Dødsengel and Svartidaudi. The festival is alright, just be prepared to pay around eight pounds for a beer.

Excellent, me being a 7 stone waif of a lady and a massive lightweight, this will not be a problem!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Monkeytime posted:

I saw them earlier this year and they were perfect. Hope they can keep going and he can maybe not throw beer on me this time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

new Cult of Fire track sounds promising: https://soundcloud.com/iron-bonehead-productions/cult-of-fire-vltava

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It does indeed.

I listened to Mayhem's latest album the other day and didn't find it too shabby. They're going on tour soon. Question is, how much do they suck live?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I think the point of seeing mayhem now is to say you saw mayhem, but hey atilla is good at least.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

I think the point of seeing mayhem now is to say you saw mayhem, but hey atilla is good at least.

Couldn't agree more. I'm probably going to see them just so I can say "hey I saw that legendary black metal band Mayhem live" once they disband/die off. I'm not even really interested in seeing any of their music too much, I mean Freezing Moon will be cool and some other classics. Though I have to say, Atilla has a sweet voice and looks mean as gently caress performing, and I'm kinda excited to see how tiny necrobutcher is in person lol. Same thing with Watain. Don't know much about Revenge, guess I'll find out hopefully.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Germ Incubator posted:

Hey, another new poster on this board.
Has anyone here ever been to Inferno Festival? I'm tentatively making plans to fly over next year (I'm in the UK.)
The bands announced so far:

Behemoth
Enslaved
My Dying Bride
SepticFlesh
Antichrist
Bloodbath
Mortuary Drape
Slagmaur
Dødsengel
Skeletonwitch
Svartidaudi
Ensiferum

Looks like I'll be going on my todd though, having no black metal fan buddies, so silently making GBS threads it haha.

Also wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Carach Angren? I've skimmed back as best I could but haven't seen any mention of them. I recently got introduced to their music via Tumblr (I know...) and a Dutch youtuber who made some glowing reviews of their albums. Currently got all three on constant rotation, looking forward to a tour near me soon.

"Going on my todd"? I figure you mean "on my own" but how did that happen? Is that autocorrect?

To answer your question, Behemoth and 1349 are loving amazing live. Skeletonwitch is great too, as is Ensiferum, but that's folk metal, not black. Go check out a few pages back in the main metal thread to see Fenrir losing his mind about how much Enslaved completely loving owns. Those alone are worth going for, but I'm not familiar with the others.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Going on my todd"? I figure you mean "on my own" but how did that happen? Is that autocorrect?
Nope, legit phrase for it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Carach angren opened for deicide here. Didn't have a good live sound really. Can't say I'm a fan but it's not my type of black metal really. (Inquisition was who really stole the show imo)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

Carach angren opened for deicide here. Didn't have a good live sound really. Can't say I'm a fan but it's not my type of black metal really. (Inquisition was who really stole the show imo)

I haven't seen them live, but I loving love their albums but everyone says their live sound sucks :( Cool theatrics though!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Possibly Chicken posted:

Attila was boring as poo poo when I saw them a few years ago. He had a little "altar" on the stage with a skull and a knife on it, and he basically just stood in place doing vocals, and every now and then would pick up one of the two items, look at it quizzically, and put it back down.

The entire band was pretty boring IMO, but hey at least now I can say I've seen Mayhem!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I think I saw Mayhem in San Francisco when they were on tour with Cephalic Carnage a while ago, but the fact that I'm not sure really emphasizes how forgettable they are these days.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Seeing Slagmaur would be pretty trippy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RojSrjDlRg4

I like how his beak sort of flops around and bends whenever it hits the microphone.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen them live, but I loving love their albums but everyone says their live sound sucks :( Cool theatrics though!

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah they had a cool stage presence but holy poo poo that one guy can't play guitar live for poo poo. People seem into them though

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Attila was cooler when he was in Tormentor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AtgbonKEk

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you dudes in europe are in for a treat next year

"Under Four Wings of Death 2015"

Ascension (Germany)

Bölzer (Switzerland)

Vassafor (New Zealand)

Dysangelium (Germany)

19/2 Arnhem/NL
20/2 Brüssel/B (tbc)
21/2 Oberhausen/D (w/o Bölzer)
22/2 London/UK
23/2 Paris/F
24/2 France tba
25/2 France tba
26/2 tba
27/2 tba
28/2 Erfurt/D
1/3 Berlin /D

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

By far the best part about the Mayhem tour is Revenge opening. They are better than anything Mayhem has ever done (save for Deathcrush and Live in Leipzig).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I am so not looking forward to sitting through hours of bullshit so I can tell my friends I saw hours of legendary bullshit. But I feel obligated to go, I'll kick myself if I don't.

Also, go to Inferno festival, definitely go. 1349 puts on one hell of a show, Enslaved kick rear end life, and even Skeletonwitch have great energy and are pretty good.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
As someone else said, I'd definitely go for Dodsengel and Svartidaudi, but then again I'm American so I think the odds of me ever seeing Svartidaudi are pretty low.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

deadking posted:

As someone else said, I'd definitely go for Dodsengel and Svartidaudi, but then again I'm American so I think the odds of me ever seeing Svartidaudi are pretty low.

They just announced a Terratur Possessions label-night, so I guess that seals the deal for me:

Svartidaudi, Sinmara, Misþyrming

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Possibly Chicken posted:

Yeah they had a cool stage presence but holy poo poo that one guy can't play guitar live for poo poo. People seem into them though

Ah you mean Seregor? Well that's a shame, although I've also read lots of great reviews too. TBH I really love them so it probably wouldn't matter haha. I hope they come here for the new album tour.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the other bands at Inferno Fest, outside of the bigger ones like 1349, Enslaved, Behemoth etc. I haven't really been keeping up with the BM/extreme metal scene for a while, but it seems it wouldn't be that expensive, at least compared to say a Download ticket. It's doable, just gotta get over that fear of travelling and flying alone! I mean I've never been to Norway before, and I've seen they're doing a cruise around the fjords with live music by a Japanese doom metal band?? How could I not?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Germ Incubator posted:

I'm not familiar with a lot of the other bands at Inferno Fest, outside of the bigger ones like 1349, Enslaved, Behemoth etc. I haven't really been keeping up with the BM/extreme metal scene for a while, but it seems it wouldn't be that expensive, at least compared to say a Download ticket. It's doable, just gotta get over that fear of travelling and flying alone! I mean I've never been to Norway before, and I've seen they're doing a cruise around the fjords with live music by a Japanese doom metal band?? How could I not?

Prices (and salaries) are quite high here, particularly in Oslo, so watch out for ridiculously priced hotels. Church Of Misery on the fjord was this year, they haven't announced anything about the cruise for 2015. It was an awesome experience though, despite terrible weather, since those guys are awesome both on and off the stage.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

ElectricWizard posted:

Prices (and salaries) are quite high here, particularly in Oslo, so watch out for ridiculously priced hotels. Church Of Misery on the fjord was this year, they haven't announced anything about the cruise for 2015. It was an awesome experience though, despite terrible weather, since those guys are awesome both on and off the stage.

Woops you're right, I assumed it was next years info on the venue page! Well I hope they do something equally awesome again, get in the sightseeing/BM all at once :)
I've been looking into hotels, Citybox seems okay and around where I need to be for venues and such.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Germ Incubator posted:

Woops you're right, I assumed it was next years info on the venue page! Well I hope they do something equally awesome again, get in the sightseeing/BM all at once :)
I've been looking into hotels, Citybox seems okay and around where I need to be for venues and such.

Be sure to visit Neseblod records (Helvete) if you go, it's almost walking distance and very easy to get to by bus.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Be sure to visit Neseblod records (Helvete) if you go, it's almost walking distance and very easy to get to by bus.

Oh yeah! Sweet will def have to do that. Selfie outside Helvete, kvlt as fook, mate.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone know what Marduk are like live these days?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

A human heart posted:

Anyone know what Marduk are like live these days?

I thought they were alright when I saw them last year. They just stood there and did their thing but they were tight and the sound was good. Good mix of old and new material, too.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
This is good as gently caress

http://thaw.bandcamp.com/album/earth-ground

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's new Anaal Nathrakh out and nobody is talking about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8NI7M_I-M

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Verizian posted:

There's new Anaal Nathrakh out and nobody is talking about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8NI7M_I-M

Because it is not that good I think.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It was discussed a bit in the general Metal thread. Opinions seem to range from "this basically sounds exactly like Vanitas but with more industrial/electronic bits" to "gently caress this loving bullshit I'm gonna go listen to Codex Necro."

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hulk Krogan posted:

It was discussed a bit in the general Metal thread. Opinions seem to range from "this basically sounds exactly like Vanitas but with more industrial/electronic bits" to "gently caress this loving bullshit I'm gonna go listen to Codex Necro."

People who prefer Codex Necro above all other AN albums baffle me (as others pointed out, there are way nastier/hateful bands out there if that's what you're into), but yeah, the electronic bits on the new album are worse than they've ever been. I still think there are a few good tracks on the album, though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I found the new album "bad" on the first listen, and "unremarkable" on the second. Absolutely crushed, as I love (or at least like) everything else they've done. There isn't even a standout track.

And for the record, In the Constellation of the Black Widow is the best Nathrakh album for sure.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
New Anaal Nathrakh sounds like the past few Anaal Nathrakh albums. Nothing to hear there. You've heard 3 songs you've heard em all.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Listening to Mysticum's "Planet Satan" now for the first time. The cover art is awful, hope the content doesn't match it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Listening to Mysticum's "Planet Satan" now for the first time. The cover art is awful, hope the content doesn't match it.

This album has practically zero bass and it's really making me mad.