Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deal with it.

I think there's what, 2 active duty guys here plus an airdale that randomly posts in here?

Do what you want-I got memos and poo poo to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Deal with it.

I think there's what, 2 active duty guys here plus an airdale that randomly posts in here?

Do what you want-I got memos and poo poo to write.

please fill me in on the nasty rumors I hear about them centralizing SKs at area commands

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

please fill me in on the nasty rumors I hear about them centralizing SKs at area commands

Haven't heard anything, though I'm not exactly in the loop on most things. That's...interesting though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Haven't heard anything, though I'm not exactly in the loop on most things. That's...interesting though.

It's been a persistent and hard to kill rumor for a long time, the idea has made it around the various SKCMs quite a bit, and was at least at the RFMC level last I knew. I had heard from a chief pal of mine that they were piloting it with YNs to see how it would work out. I'm assuming with YNs no one will notice their absence, and people will assume the same about SKs.

I predict (if it happens) absolute disaster. The only thing worse than an SK is two of them in the same room. If you remove them from commands you're not gonna get that billet back AND you will no longer have any recourse when they inevitably drop the ball for whatever reason.

I'm skeptical of the idea obviously but it's just dumb enough that I believe someone is trying to do it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Been working out in a fairly regular manner. I am slowly becoming a slightly hunk of a man instead of a disgusting piece of blob. Also some old news from my home state territory:

quote:

Coast Guard Pilot To Plead Guilty In The Rape Of The Wife Of A Fellow Officer

September 2, 2014 - A graduate of United States Coast Guard Academy and commissioned officer, Lt. Daniel G. Eyer, 31, will face a General Court Martial on Thursday at Air Station Borinquen for sexual assault and abusive sexual contact of the wife of a fellow officer. Eyer, a MH65C command helicopter pilot who has performed search and rescue and executed law enforcement will be charged with sexually assaulting and abusive sexual contact of the wife of another Coast Guardsman on March 8 in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. Eyer, who is stationed at Air Station Borinquen is accused of assaulting the victim while she was asleep in a vehicle outside an establishment in Aguadilla. Under both charges, Eyer will be charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice Article 120.

The Coast Guard’s month long investigation revealed that Eyer, the sole member accused in this case, engaged in sexually related misconduct, specifically sexual assault and abusive sexual contact. Eyer signed a pre-trial agreement and is expected to plead guilty to the charges. Eyer began his basic flight training in May 2005 and received his lieutenant's rank in May 2009.
Update: September 5, 2014 - Lt. Daniel G. Eyer entered a guilty plea at a General Court Martial at Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen in Puerto Rico, Thursday. A military judge sentenced Eyer to 24 months confinement and dismissal from the Coast Guard- the equivalent of a dishonorable discharge for officers.

Those rascally airdales!

Also the spanish news websites go into a little bit more detail on what he did to that poor woman that night. :stonk:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

It's been a persistent and hard to kill rumor for a long time, the idea has made it around the various SKCMs quite a bit, and was at least at the RFMC level last I knew. I had heard from a chief pal of mine that they were piloting it with YNs to see how it would work out. I'm assuming with YNs no one will notice their absence, and people will assume the same about SKs.

I predict (if it happens) absolute disaster. The only thing worse than an SK is two of them in the same room. If you remove them from commands you're not gonna get that billet back AND you will no longer have any recourse when they inevitably drop the ball for whatever reason.

I'm skeptical of the idea obviously but it's just dumb enough that I believe someone is trying to do it.

So who's gonna handle the ordering/budget/etc? Just get collateral'ed out?

The ROSE model is what worries me the most. We're losing a bunch of billets for MK's that were in the Prevention department and that's going to hurt us next year. I don't like that MK's were ever given the billet to begin with since learning how to do a port state control exam does nothing for their career development (unless they might be trying for warrant), but since we're not gonna get a body to replace them that's gonna suck. It'd be one thing if the Commands were like 'Welp, obviously we can't do the same job with 5 people that we were able to do with 8 people...They'll have to settle for less" but..........yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Most shocking thing-no new uniform items from the new COMDT yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo that pilot. Welp.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

So who's gonna handle the ordering/budget/etc? Just get collateral'ed out?

Well, the prevailing theory is that just like before Support Petty Officers, P-Card stuff can be a collateral. The budget is supposed to be in the hands of the XO/XPO in the first place, though not usually the way it is in practice. Property Officer is typically NOT (and shouldn't be) an SK at small commands, they're merely the administrator for Oracle FAMS.

Funds Management/Administration can (and probably should in a lot of cases) be done remotely. Large procurement support is usually farmed out to a higher level of command anyway, so that wouldn't change. MILSTRIP stuff can be passed off to the next level of command if necessary, though ALMIS made a lot of that poo poo evaporate anyway.

I could sell anyone on the idea. On paper it makes sense. But like anything else when dealing with people and systems, what it is on paper is not what it will be in execution. You ever call the travel center? Imagine that, only when you're out of poo poo-tickets or something is stopping you from getting underway. "The Coast Guard MLCLANT Customer Service Center is currently experiencing an abnormally high number of calls. Your estimated wait time for the next Supply Operator is 293 minutes." Now, multiply your pain times roughly a billion and you've got the average SK3's life at a call center. It's the death-knell of the rating, in my opinion (if it happens).

With Audit Readiness being a major mission focus now, the correct solution is actually (unfortunately) more SKs. And to raise the bar for entrance to the rating. Also a change in culture (Coast Guard-wide). Since that'll never, ever, not-even-on-an-infinite-timeline happen... Well, you're all screwed if that does happen.

It's cool though. I don't have to deal with uh ... well, that anymore. At least not that way. I still do. Now I get paid overtime, have sick leave, regular leave, comp time, a retirement that counts my mil-time and uh... You know what really is the cherry on the loving top of it all? Come Columbus Day I can celebrate the destruction of the aboriginal Americans for an extra day, and it'll only cost me 8 hours of annual leave instead of some bullshit how I have to take FOUR loving DAYS for an extra day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But here's the thing, the program will work out wonderfully for the former warrant officer civilians who manage the civilian portion. Their budgets will grow and they will have latched onto the military in another way for eternity.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think we need to civilianize prevention. Actual operations like SAR and LE can stay the same but inspections, waterways, planning...all that stuff needs to go the GS way of life.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

VTS here in San Francisco is mostly civilian workers with a sprinkling of coasties.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I think we need to civilianize prevention. Actual operations like SAR and LE can stay the same but inspections, waterways, planning...all that stuff needs to go the GS way of life.

It's been talked about before. There was a big discussion about it when I was in the M field. The long and short of it is that it's too expensive to do that way, generally. On paper you may save some money, but you don't have the same versatility with General Schedule employees as you do with military people. A military body is super expensive in terms of raw cost, but they don't have bargaining rights or much in the way of labor protections. Not true on the civ-service side.

Mr. Nice! posted:

But here's the thing, the program will work out wonderfully for the former warrant officer civilians who manage the civilian portion. Their budgets will grow and they will have latched onto the military in another way for eternity.

I can't hate on that too much, I rolled right into a good position that way. Different agency with a whole host of other problems, but its a decent enough gig. All I can say is as hosed up as I thought DHS/CG was, DoD/DoN is about a billion times worse off for myriad reasons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Feedback on this please:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670878

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I ran one years ago, middling turnout but that was when GiP was in infancy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hey N41 Fleet Week is going on in San Francisco, there is probably prime grade enlisted male rear end you can jackhammer in here.

Anyways, fleet week has been... interesting so far, just a poo poo ton of radio guards, some people calling to close their guards but I never had their guards and having dudes calling on 3 different frequencies. Hell we even had a vesel that was taking on water, sunk and all people on board where saved*!

*Which I am happy about because this was:
1) My first SAR case I mostly worked by myself
2) My first PIW case where people actually lived :unsmith:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Hey N41 Fleet Week is going on in San Francisco, there is probably prime grade enlisted male rear end you can jackhammer in here.

Anyways, fleet week has been... interesting so far, just a poo poo ton of radio guards, some people calling to close their guards but I never had their guards and having dudes calling on 3 different frequencies. Hell we even had a vesel that was taking on water, sunk and all people on board where saved*!

*Which I am happy about because this was:
1) My first SAR case I mostly worked by myself
2) My first PIW case where people actually lived :unsmith:

congrats on not getting someone killed, guardian

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

krispykremessuck posted:

congrats on not getting someone killed, guardian

He is doing it wrong...thin the gene pool.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

He is doing it wrong...thin the gene pool.

All my previous cases involving people in the water none of them survived. :smith:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

All my previous cases involving people in the water none of them survived. :smith:

That sucks bro...the worst are kids when the parents dont put life jackets on them, I pray you never get one of those. Its hard not to punch the parents afterwards.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the LCDR results came out today, 67% selection. 2/3 of the people I knew going for it made it.

I'll never get the way this poo poo works. The dude that got passed over was a DCO grad (engineer type) and went to the baltimore yards for his first tour as a JG, got accepted for grad school out of there, then had to do a payback at MSC where he earned his PE cert, and then came to Houston to work in Prevention with zero quals/operational experience. He completely kicked rear end and got a bunch of quals before he went for promotion, but ultimately got passed over.

You'd think we would try to set people up for success and if they're doing everything you ask of em, they'd get promoted. Obviously I've got a ton to learn about this and the CG definitely has things figured out, just not the way I think it should.

At least he's got plenty of high paying job offers being located in Houston with his experience.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

DCO grad passed over

You should look at what percentage of people passed over weren't CGA guys if you really want to get depressed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

You should look at what percentage of people passed over weren't CGA guys if you really want to get depressed.
Haha yeah-I think 'from enlisted status' was like 33%.

Though you also have to think that there's a lot of prior enlisted that commissioned with 10+ years in that don't give a gently caress about making it past LT, so that might sway the odds a tiny bit. That's not my case though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

So the LCDR results came out today, 67% selection. 2/3 of the people I knew going for it made it.

I'll never get the way this poo poo works. The dude that got passed over was a DCO grad (engineer type) and went to the baltimore yards for his first tour as a JG, got accepted for grad school out of there, then had to do a payback at MSC where he earned his PE cert, and then came to Houston to work in Prevention with zero quals/operational experience. He completely kicked rear end and got a bunch of quals before he went for promotion, but ultimately got passed over.

You'd think we would try to set people up for success and if they're doing everything you ask of em, they'd get promoted. Obviously I've got a ton to learn about this and the CG definitely has things figured out, just not the way I think it should.

At least he's got plenty of high paying job offers being located in Houston with his experience.

The amount of dick sucking and bickering in the officer world makes me happy i went enlisted with a degree.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ElMaligno posted:

The amount of dick sucking and bickering in the officer world makes me happy i went enlisted with a degree.

Yeah because gently caress double the money and half the work.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah because gently caress double the money and half the work.

I know this and I'm still happy I enlisted with a degree and I have not pursued the path of becoming and officer after I enlisted.

Then again maybe its because I have been surrounded by a good enlisted people and scummy officers that I am embittered by the idea of going to the dark side. :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There is no dark side or light side. There's one side, though, that makes a shitton more than the other though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Haha yeah-I think 'from enlisted status' was like 33%.

Though you also have to think that there's a lot of prior enlisted that commissioned with 10+ years in that don't give a gently caress about making it past LT, so that might sway the odds a tiny bit. That's not my case though.

Only people I knew with that attitude were CWO4 -> LT. Though I've seen some of those guys make it as far as CDR, but they definitely threw their weight around the whole time and pushed for it.

I remember I got curious and looked once and it's loving hilarious how the register of officers looks re: accession point.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Oh God, im being a complete nerd and enjoying command center school at yorktown. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Oh God, im being a complete nerd and enjoying command center school at yorktown. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Think about what you just said....enjoying yorktown...you need help.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Think about what you just said....enjoying yorktown...you need help.

I'm already beyond help. I mean waking up at 6, joining the zombie run and working out every day. Fuuuuuck :negative:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly I never minded Yorktown. As long as you have a car it's fine. If not, then may god have mercy on your soul.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

Honestly I never minded Yorktown. As long as you have a car it's fine. If not, then may god have mercy on your soul.

I don't have a car in here. The only thing I'm worried about is that the desperation will drive me to drink alcohol.

Because I don't drink anymore.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Find a friend!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Even having a car there kind of sucks. It's the GTMO quandary. There are things to do, but after you do them once they don't bear repeating. I have friends in the Hampton Roads area so whenever I was there I just crashed at their place.

Get a book.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Go hang out with Grover

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Go hang out with Grover

Or kill yourself....same thing really.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Go hang out with Grover

The pub is closer.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Go hang out with Grover

Didn't you actually do this?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

Go hang out with Grover

I don't want him to steal my bones, so he can ground them up to dust and use it to spackle his lovely bathroom tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

Didn't you actually do this?

Yes, more than once.

• Locked thread