Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all 4 elements and beat the living daylights out of that guy, holy poo poo did you see that?

Developed by Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) and written by Tim Hedrick with Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino (writers and creators of the television series), The Legend of Korra is a stylish character action/beat 'em up game coming out on October 21st for PS3, PS4, and Steam, and the 22nd for 360 and Xbone. Taking place between seasons 2 and 3 of the series, it follows Avatar Korra as she fights a new villain who uses a chi-blocking technique to steal away her bending abilities, forcing her to re-learn them over the course of the game, and attempts stop a re-awakened ancient spiritual evil.

VIDEOS

First gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Post-game Pro Bending Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDELmii7KCk

Maximilian Dood's impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPwLCg3MTE

It's expected to be priced at US$14.99 and the first playthrough is expected to be at about 5-6 hours (with unlocked New Game+, new difficulty modes, and Pro Bending Circuit) so don't expect as much value as Bayonetta 2, but if you want to punch rocks and shoot fire at dudes using kung-fu, and you know that you want Platinum games pumped directly into your veins, then it should shape up to be a fun experience.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope it's good. I mean I expect it to be well-made 'cause it's from Platinum, but since it's also a downloadable licensed game, there are a number of ways in which my expectations can be crushed. Like maybe it's 2 hours long.

It'd be nice if it was good, in keeping with the show actually getting really loving good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never watched Korra but Platinum games own so I'm gonna get this.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

alcharagia posted:

I've never watched Korra but Platinum games own so I'm gonna get this.

I recommend it if you're willing to stomach awkward teenage drama to get to crazy spirit-kung-fu action.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Silentman0 posted:

I recommend it if you're willing to stomach awkward teenage drama to get to crazy spirit-kung-fu action.

I played Persona 3, I should be good. :v:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"DON'T gently caress WITH THIS COUNCILLOR" Tarrlok declares, drop kicking Korra as a Pro-Bending crowd cheers in the distance

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I assume it will be 60 fps on last gen stuff as well, just lower res right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I assume it will be 60 fps on last gen stuff as well, just lower res right?

It's a small downloadable game, I'm not expecting there to be a significant difference at all between versions.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I this sells well I want Platinum to develop a prequel with every member of the original Avatar team playable. Neer liked the Korra show much but this seems really promising for a budget title.

Wonder if she can do the ballbuster too. If they're goiong to crib moves from God Hand they should go all the way.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 14, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

I played Persona 3, I should be good. :v:

Also season 2 is terrible and season 3 is extremely uneven.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mokinokaro posted:

Also season 2 is terrible and season 3 is extremely uneven.

Season 2 was terrible but Season 3 was probably one of the best of the entire franchise, especially the latter half.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Season 2 is definitely the uneven one and not that bad upon rewatch, but the bad animation in the first seven episodes is distracting. Season 1 is alright, but has hardly been mentioned since and ended way too neatly. Season 3 has been the best, if a bit slow to start. I'm just unsure if it's this, or ATLA Book 2 that's the best of the franchise.

Honestly, you'll probably be able to enjoy this Platinum action game without watching the show, but it's a drat good show, so if you watch it all (EXCEPT THE MOVIE), then you'll have a good time.

Looking forward to this game quite a bit, goddamn, should be a fun few weeks distraction.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Funky Valentine posted:

"DON'T gently caress WITH THIS COUNCILLOR" Tarrlok declares, drop kicking Korra as a Pro-Bending crowd cheers in the distance

I don't even know what this show is about, but if this game is half as batshit as the last few minutes of Revengeance I might have to pick it up.

Seriously, the last thirty or so minutes of that game were insane. It starts off with a giant metal gear designed to cut the poo poo out of stuff with building sized weapons and ends with a hulked out rear end kicking senator nanomachining his way towards glory and a future that would put Fist of the North Star to shame. And somehow it manages to get crazier from there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I have high hopes that I will be able to punch the head off a giant platinum mech.

And also that I will be able to shoot down a plane with a torpedo fired at me by a submarine.

(Please be Korra: Revengeance edition)

Gort fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Gort posted:

I have high hopes that I will be able to punch the head off a giant platinum mech.

I'm at least one of the preview videos, she uses fire bending to shoot jets out of her feet and throw waves of fire to melt the face off of a giant Victorian-futurist mech suit. You can practically feel the Rules of Nature.

I have very high hopes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

I'm at least one of the preview videos, she uses fire bending to shoot jets out of her feet and throw waves of fire to melt the face off of a giant Victorian-futurist mech suit. You can practically feel the Rules of Nature.

I have very high hopes.

Well, picked it up for £12. Can't really go wrong at that price.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

It's out on Steam and presumably PSN. Buying it now and will give my impressions when I get home.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Played for an hour today and streamed it. The naga on rails bits are kind of annoying. There are instant fails. The rest of the gameplay feels like a solid platinum game (mostly a Bayo clone).

Need to get back to work.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The obligatory Platinum moment.

Not too sure about Platinum not writing it though, will it get nearly crazy enough to be worth it? Season 1 is the only I've watched and while interesting set-up (somewhat beyond what a kids show on Nickelodeon ould realize), it was very meh in execution and ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Season 2 got pretty crazy but the execution was still kinda meh, even if it ended with two godzilla-sized spirits punching each other. Season 3 was good though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Annoying thing I've found is having the controller vibration on makes any button press relating to fighting lag horribly and then causes the controller to disconnect. So no vibration and it runs fine. And the mouse cursor disappears into the game window and that's annoying. Otherwise, runs fine, looks good and controls quite well.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It really is a 'budget' Platinum game. It's got all the cool stuff Platinum games have (large combos and a weapon switch system, dodges, blocking counters etc) but it's nowhere near as smooth as in Bayonetta. If you're a Platinum fan you'll feel right at home but it definitely does feel like something they made while their real attention was focused elsewhere. This just makes it 'very good' though instead of 'fantastic'. Add a star/point/number to the imaginery rating in your head if you're a Korra fan.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The animation for slamming your polar-bear dog head-first into a pagoda car is kind of hilarious.

There's also an item which allows you to knock up nearby enemies.

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cross-postin myself from the Steam thread:

Humerus posted:

So I just beat the Legend of Korra game. Decent, overall, with a couple of nitpicks-one, the camera. I played through MGR and (most of) Bayonetta in the last month or so and I cannot believe Platinum just sucks this bad at camera work in the game. The lock on system is really stupid too, I can't tell if it chooses an enemy at random (likely) or if it goes for what it deems the most dangerous, but either way it's not reliable in any way. The fighting itself is pretty good though. I feel like the mecha tanks have too much health but there aren't really boss fights as such so I guess it helps break up the story. There also isn't the kind of synergy I would hope for in terms of switching bending on the fly-when you switch styles, it begins a new combo string, so you can't do like, the first two hits as water and then finish with earth or something. It should be a lot more fun to play through the second time though because you don't have access to all styles from the beginning (air is hilariously overpowered too) so playing a "new game+" type of thing will be a lot of fun.

Total time was just under 4 and half hours to beat the main story. You might be able to shave off some time if you don't fail/die as often as I did, or just stick to the main path and don't look for the bonus treasure rooms (which are not hidden at all, really). There's also the pro-bending mode I haven't touched yet (except the couple of times the story forces you into it).

If you like the show, and have $15, you could spend it worse. Otherwise I'd say wait for a sale but it's Activision so who knows if that will happen.

If you want to be spoilered and watch me be not very good at it, I have the whole thing up on my twitch, for now. I told it to upload to YouTube but it doesn't seem like it's done yet, or something. I've never really used twitch before.

Yeah I liked it a whole bunch. Definitely a prime "DON'T gently caress WITH THIS SENATOR SPIRIT" moment too, at the end.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Just so everyone knows: there's old-fashioned button-press codes that unlock 2 new costumes and 1 new item. The new item doubles your attacks, and is kind of over-powered.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Silentman0 posted:

Just so everyone knows: there's old-fashioned button-press codes that unlock 2 new costumes and 1 new item. The new item doubles your attacks, and is kind of over-powered.

Nobody in the world has figured out the second costume code though.

Up, Up, Down, Down, [Square/X] for the costume (you have to be hovering over it)
Right, Right, Left, Left, [Square/X] in the shop for the crazy (and free!) OP accessory

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

My first time through took about 2 1/2 hours. The combat is kind of simple, but fast and fun. Each element has a decent variety of moves, and they all play differently. Being able to switch between them on the fly during combat is nice, but never really feels essential apart from the times you need to use water to hit enemies you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach. Korra has a few different ways to do the signature Platinum "punch/kick a dude a million times" move, which is appreciated, and the final boss is good in the way Platinum's bosses usually are.

That said, the Naga stuff is really superfluous and unfun, the camera sucks, the voice acting is bad and the cutscenes look super low-budget. I would never do the pro-bending league if it didn't have an accessory tied to it.

It feels kind of like a bite-size version of a typical Platinum game, so $15 seems like a fair price if you already like their games.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

The combat is fun and simple, and the game has more than enough Platinum moments (and way more fist pummelings than you could wish for). The game definitely could have done without the Naga sections, but otherwise I give the game 4 angry conjoined twins out of 5.

Also, did anyone find the subtitles? I couldn't find them for the life of me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I just played through the game.

Once you get one or two bending powers, the game gets really fun. All four movesets are completely unique and you can switch between them all mid combo. Dodge offsetting from Bayonetta is also included. The game would be boring if you mash X and never hit Y, but if you give it a chance this is a really fun little action game. It's worth $15. I didn't mind the Naga sequences, hell I liked the one in the ice level. The final boss was great and ended just like a platinum game should. The first time you activate Avatar Mode is just plain amazing. Definitely going to replay the game on extreme and unlock the last few accessories and moves.

Humerus posted:

There also isn't the kind of synergy I would hope for in terms of switching bending on the fly-when you switch styles, it begins a new combo string, so you can't do like, the first two hits as water and then finish with earth or something.

You can definitely do this. Switching between styles like this made the game for me. It may not be necessary on normal mode but it is really fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any opinions yet on whether it'd be better to go PC or 360 for this? I don't know anything about the show, but I'm game for some Platinum to tide me over until Bayonetta 2, and Korra herself seems cool.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 22, 2014

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I've got it on PC and it runs perfectly fine.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man, airbending is kinda hosed.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Its loving strong as poo poo

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, there's a thread now. The game's fun! It's not long at all (like maybe 4 hours), and there's very little enemy variety, but for a 15 dollar game, you get an excellent combat system, a very nice cel shaded look, and the PC version works beautifully because Platinum. It's not Bayonetta 2 or Revengeance, but it's really fun regardless.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
It's not showing up on Australia's Playstation Store :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

J Detan posted:

Oh good, there's a thread now. The game's fun! It's not long at all (like maybe 4 hours), and there's very little enemy variety, but for a 15 dollar game, you get an excellent combat system, a very nice cel shaded look, and the PC version works beautifully because Platinum. It's not Bayonetta 2 or Revengeance, but it's really fun regardless.

Is there any kind of arena mode or chapter select?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There is a chapter select but I don't think this game has a bloody palace mode.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay so i'm sold on this game again. I'll pick it up after work.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The legend of KORAORAORAROAORAORAORAORAORA

• Locked thread